Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Millstone posted:

lol if you record yourself playing video games. double lol if you loving sit down and watch someone else play video games on the internet.
how many lol if you get paid for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:hehe:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Millstone posted:

lol if you record yourself playing video games. double lol if you loving sit down and watch someone else play video games on the internet.

i mean

quite a few speed runs are entertaining to watch

you bash your head against a particular part of a game for hours on end and then you watch a dude break that poo poo over his knee and you're like oh.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

weird. I have a 9550 and a 9560 and haven't had that problem. if its under warranty get it replaced

lol no there's nothing wrong with it. Dell/realtek just pushed garbage software through windows update.

if you really, really want to try to recreate the problem, try listening on the 9560 through the TB16 dock. My guess is this maxxaudio bullshit has an unintended impact on the usb audio out in that dock

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

lol the "essential" phone (andy rubins followup to android, backed with $1bn in vc moneys) has sold an estimated 5000 units so far

thats less than the kin

I think those were units sold via sprint stores only

Still terrible though

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dodoman posted:

I think those were units sold via sprint stores only

Still terrible though
kin was a single-vendor thing as well (verizon, i think)

i was pretty sure the kin only made it to market because it would have cost msft more to cancel it and pay the failure-to-deliver fee to verizon that theyd negotiated at the start of the project. it was available for just more than 30 days and then disappeared into a black hole, which sure sounds like someone doing the bare minimum to fulfill a contractual obligation to me

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

anthonypants posted:

Like a lot of lolz at the system that is enabling this kind of bank to be made at playing vidya games that I’ll never make

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FMguru posted:

lol the "essential" phone (andy rubins followup to android, backed with $1bn in vc moneys) has sold an estimated 5000 units so far

thats less than the kin

doesn't sound very essential

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Millstone posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dont be mean to me posted:

doesn't sound very essential
irony is back again - in phone form!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The project was managed by Roz Ho, who coined the project name, "Pink", her favorite color. Engineers and project managers used the Twitter hash tag "#TMDP" to communicate in code with one another—the acronym expands to "Truly, Madly, Deeply (Pink)" for Roz Ho's favorite movie and the project name. Engineers were told they should feel passion for the project, "Truly, Madly, Deeply". When milestones were reached or there was a successful test, Roz Ho would cheer the team on by exclaiming "Truly, Madly, Deeply" in meetings or emails.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

lets say there are 2000 famous gamers who people watch playing games every day. pretend they all get paid like 100k a year .. sounds pretty good except they have to play games 10+ hrs a day every day and look cool in the minicam. those are horrible hours.

all the other gamers get basically nothing at all. if i had to choose id rather work a cash register in a grocery. stable decent albeit lovely income, but theres union perks, vacation days, evening/weekend rates, etc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

props to the kids who succeed at that without yelling the n word or heiling, but lol if you think theres money for anyone below a generous top 1000

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
burning through your twenties, making barely enough to get by, working 12 hour days of always having to be "on", with no benefits, no career progression, no real job skills gained, your base of support could evaporate at any moment, your deals with youtube/twitch/sponsors could be renegotiated at any time to your detriment...

the basic pitch ("make money playing videogames at home all day!") sure sounds appealing, but everything else about it is just terrible. if you want to spend your days pitching yourself and trying to get strangers to give you money or just pay attention to you, why not just go into sales? if youre enough of an outgoing hustling type to make it as a videogame streamer, that skillset would probably convert much more lucratively to a sales career

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

burning through your twenties, making barely enough to get by, working 12 hour days of always having to be "on", with no benefits, no career progression, no real job skills gained, your base of support could evaporate at any moment

so working in hospitality then?

like, literally every restaurant/bar you've ever been to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

waiters/waitresses can bring their skills to another job if the cafe is shut down

a gamer whose game is shut down is kinda hosed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't get me wrong, i'm not denigrating the skills of hospitality workers. but the industry treats them as completely interchangeable in a lot of cases, so skilled or no, it's not a career path

and tbf, a gamer whose game is shut down can probably pick up another one with similar mechanics fairly trivially.

the point being, i'm not weeping for "pro gamers". that's been the plight of anyone doing actual labour since roughly forever.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 30, 2017

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

just been given a laptop by my company still running 7 and God what a joy it is to go back to. Coherant design, everything where it should be, nice and stable, sensible start menu. Only Microsoft could have made 20 years of progress to an OS that finally looked pretty nice and worked pretty well only to just go "gently caress you everyone." and poo poo out 8 and 10

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

congratulations on being an old using a computer

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

lol it uploads your entire registry and %USER% folders you dumbass

uhh you gonna actually provide some proof of this retarded bullshit? GFE isn't great but this is just paranoid delusion. what would nvidia even want everyones user folder for?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

The project was managed by Roz Ho, who coined the project name, "Pink", her favorite color. Engineers and project managers used the Twitter hash tag "#TMDP" to communicate in code with one another—the acronym expands to "Truly, Madly, Deeply (Pink)" for Roz Ho's favorite movie and the project name. Engineers were told they should feel passion for the project, "Truly, Madly, Deeply". When milestones were reached or there was a successful test, Roz Ho would cheer the team on by exclaiming "Truly, Madly, Deeply" in meetings or emails.

i bet she was a dfw fan

Infinite Jest posted:

c:\Pink2
60; 284; 511; 620. Fn95, p. 284/1003 reads "Pink being Microsoft Inc.'s first post-Windows DOS, quickly upgraded to Pink2 when InterLace took everything 100 % interactive and digital; by Y.D.A.U. it's kind of a dinosaur, but it's still the only DOS that'll run a MathpakVEndStat tree without having to stop and recompile every few seconds."

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol no there's nothing wrong with it. Dell/realtek just pushed garbage software through windows update.

glad to hear the oems are finally meeting the quality standards of microsoft

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

uhh you gonna actually provide some proof of this retarded bullshit? GFE isn't great but this is just paranoid delusion. what would nvidia even want everyones user folder for?

also, this would include tens of gigs of user temp data, from everything. and this is being sent on residential connections with ~1-10mbps uploads?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

infernal machines posted:

also, this would include tens of gigs of user temp data, from everything. and this is being sent on residential connections with ~1-10mbps uploads?

I think he might have meant %appdata% because there is no such thing as %user% but that would still be gigabytes of worthless temp files.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

congratulations on being an old using a computer

Windows 10 is bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

if you really, really want to try to recreate the problem, try listening on the 9560 through the TB16 dock. My guess is this maxxaudio bullshit has an unintended impact on the usb audio out in that dock

hm, ill try to nuke maxxaudio to see if that changes anything wrt my usb headset

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and tbf, a gamer whose game is shut down can probably pick up another one with similar mechanics fairly trivially.
eh, nah, and, furthermore, quite a significant portion of audience (read: majority except for the cream of cream of the crop of variiety streamers) is bound by game they watch much more than by the actual person. there really is maybe a double digit of streamer who can afford to switch to another game without tanking their viewership massively

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Millstone posted:

Windows 10 is bad

dear windows 7 touchers: have fun with your literal broken clock and patch systems that waste just about your entire day

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

dont be mean to me posted:

dear windows 7 touchers: have fun with your literal broken clock and patch systems that waste just about your entire day

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
every time I check in on this thread it's talking about video games

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

i wonder if there's a correlation between video game chat and the only os that has good video games

:thunk:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

it's pretty much the only thing windows is good for anymore

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

it's pretty much the only thing windows is good for anymore

also doing actual work since apple's hardware offerings are tolerable at best

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

FMguru posted:

remember when roz ho took 3 weeks off to hike kilimanjaro while the project was struggling, and forced the team to wake up at 3am for status calls with her?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

creationist believer posted:

remember when roz ho took 3 weeks off to hike kilimanjaro while the project was struggling, and forced the team to wake up at 3am for status calls with her?
iirc they were not allowed to call in from home and had to be in the conference room in person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when they said gently caress it, we'll do it live when migrating the back-end and then nuked the entire thing for days?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I was talking about the usb thing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

roz who

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

remember when they said gently caress it, we'll do it live when migrating the back-end and then nuked the entire thing for days?
they didnt say it

SHE said it

overriding the concerns of her engineers who told her that they werent 100% sure of the completeness and integrity of the data backups they had

it was like the challenger disaster all over again except with selfies and texts instead of seven human lives and a billion dollar spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

didn't it turn out the sidekick platform was so tightly coupled to the backend that it didn't even function as a phone while the service was out?

e: nm, that's kin i'm thinking of

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 30, 2017

• Locked thread