Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hollismason posted:

It 100 percent would. The US is a the biggest contributor to methane gas which is a byproduct of our obsession with cows so yeah , less meat and specificatlly cows would benefit the Earth greatly

Cow farts: mankinds biggest problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnaY0l4XsM

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Covok, man, if you need someone to get all e/n on, PM me and I'll give you my skype info.

All I can promise you is that I will be a good listener and you can unload on me if you want.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

When Sandy hit in 2012 people up here couldn't get their homes raised right away in the aftermath because there are a limited amount of companies that raise homes professional and many of them were still in New Orleans cleaning up after Katrina. The recovery time in the US has been slow. I cannot fathom how long it will take for PR, especially since it doesn't appear right now they are getting the appropriate support from us.

So we won't have to imagine for very long, DJT!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Hollismason posted:

It 100 percent would. The US is a the biggest contributor to methane gas which is a byproduct of our obsession with cows so yeah , less meat and specificatlly cows would benefit the Earth greatly

Stop saying stupid poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Your Taint posted:

Cow farts: mankinds biggest problem

Say what you will about Manifest Destiny, but it sure as poo poo cut back on the buffalo farts.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hollismason posted:

It's not that simple. The people now not eating meat will have to replace those calories, which will increase demand for other proteins. That increase in demand will cause other things to produce greenhouse emissions. It's not a simple equation. The real issue is total demand on industries that produce greenhouse emissions.

Beef is the best meat so good luck getting people to stop eating it. Also, cows are amazingly cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Your Taint posted:

Covok, man, if you need someone to get all e/n on, PM me and I'll give you my skype info.

All I can promise you is that I will be a good listener and you can unload on me if you want.

It's fine. I'll stop doing that here. Those tweet just set me off and being dismissed perpetuated it, but I'm not going to turn this thread into my personal soap box.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What's the environmental impact of lab meat? Especially a kind that is designed to be optimally delicious?
I'm sure that first generation will probably give us all kinds of cancer but I might roll the dice for super-Kobe pleasure steak.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Covok posted:

It's fine. I'll stop doing that here. Those tweet just set me off and being dismissed perpetuated it, but I'm not going to turn this thread into my personal soap box.

Offer is still valid if you decide otherwise.

I wasn't trying to get you to stop doing anything. Just trying to reach out to someone who seems like they need a friendly ear.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/914184886348632064

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good news, liberals are already white-knighting GWB over Katrina

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/914186665282953216

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hollismason posted:

I don't mean to be mean, but that is the dumbest motherfucking thing I've heard this week, and I teach physics to special-ed students in an inner-city high school.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, it'd help. Cattle especially are a major contributor to greenhouse gases.

There was an article I saw ages ago that argued the problem with the "no meat" argument is it doesn't offer an alternative.

Like that food still needs to exist, so where does it come from. You can't just "Yeah -50% meat!" and go on your day, the food need still exists. So now what's the answer to cover the lost meat.

Farms aren't great. We already are at the limits of sustainable farming. If we increase the needs on that end, we can very rapidly fall into an unsustainable loop and do even more damage to our planet.

Farming itself is not great for soil/irrigation/longevity of a region, and you really can't do it everywhere.

You also come into issues of industrialization. If our demand for agriculture suddenly skyrockets, we'll have to start expanding that agricultural need into poorer regions with far less care for regulation/proper procedure. ie we will need to get a lot more produce from South America. And you can bet your dollar they'll use strip farming to get the kind of product yields needed to cover the new offset, which'll do further damage to the environment.

Then of course there is the everpresent issue of labor. While the meat industry is hosed, it's hosed in a very specific way, and hosed largely in it's approach to animals. One of the big problems with farming is the use of slave labor/near slave labor, especially in places like South America. There's been more then a few articles popping up of how the various new vegetarian/vegan crazes in the Western World have led to outright seizures of traditional farms by the cartels, as they steal peoples livelihoods/food to make easy legal bank off this stuff. If we do have any sort of real increase in farming, it's going to come at a human cost from the people already suffering the worst effects of global warming.

The bigger issue isn't cattle, it's that we as a species have outgrown our planet and are too stupid to stop.

Like to use the other two big nations that don't use so much meat as an example, both China and India are heading right towards megafucked territory. China had an industrial/farming boom and while it built it's farms sustainable, there is only so far you can stretch that, and they long sense passed it. They are basically stripfarming to try and meet demand for the people living in China, and it's eventually going to lead to major starvation/expansion as they realize they can't keep up with the demand. India never built it's farms in a sustainable way and they are right now in the present day starting to stop working at the efficiency they need, mixed with the issue they have near completely run out of groundwater because of their stripfarming.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were people defendind GWB earlier in this thread haha

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
W was incompetent. Trump is incompetent AND evil.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Your Taint posted:

Today, I saw someone offer to let a random dude to unload on your taint. I also read SA for a bit.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/914189624964030465

The Pale King
Jan 21, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Stop saying stupid poo poo.

Saying factory farming is bad = stupid poo poo lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Today, I saw someone offer to let a random dude to unload on your taint. I also read SA for a bit.

:golfclap:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Your Taint posted:

w was incompetent and evil

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Rookersh posted:

There was an article I saw ages ago that argued the problem with the "no meat" argument is it doesn't offer an alternative.

Like that food still needs to exist, so where does it come from. You can't just "Yeah -50% meat!" and go on your day, the food need still exists. So now what's the answer to cover the lost meat.

Farms aren't great. We already are at the limits of sustainable farming. If we increase the needs on that end, we can very rapidly fall into an unsustainable loop and do even more damage to our planet.

Farming itself is not great for soil/irrigation/longevity of a region, and you really can't do it everywhere.

You also come into issues of industrialization. If our demand for agriculture suddenly skyrockets, we'll have to start expanding that agricultural need into poorer regions with far less care for regulation/proper procedure. ie we will need to get a lot more produce from South America. And you can bet your dollar they'll use strip farming to get the kind of product yields needed to cover the new offset, which'll do further damage to the environment.

Then of course there is the everpresent issue of labor. While the meat industry is hosed, it's hosed in a very specific way, and hosed largely in it's approach to animals. One of the big problems with farming is the use of slave labor/near slave labor, especially in places like South America. There's been more then a few articles popping up of how the various new vegetarian/vegan crazes in the Western World have led to outright seizures of traditional farms by the cartels, as they steal peoples livelihoods/food to make easy legal bank off this stuff. If we do have any sort of real increase in farming, it's going to come at a human cost from the people already suffering the worst effects of global warming.

The bigger issue isn't cattle, it's that we as a species have outgrown our planet and are too stupid to stop.

Like to use the other two big nations that don't use so much meat as an example, both China and India are heading right towards megafucked territory. China had an industrial/farming boom and while it built it's farms sustainable, there is only so far you can stretch that, and they long sense passed it. They are basically stripfarming to try and meet demand for the people living in China, and it's eventually going to lead to major starvation/expansion as they realize they can't keep up with the demand. India never built it's farms in a sustainable way and they are right now in the present day starting to stop working at the efficiency they need, mixed with the issue they have near completely run out of groundwater because of their stripfarming.

The amount of food it takes to raise an animal for slaughter is much greater than the amount of food that animal produces. I might be missing something, but how does reducing our consumption of animals (and thus reducing the amount we have to feed those animals) increase burden on our agricultural industry?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

He's still loving tweeting!

But those lazy loving browns in PR won't even help themselves........

gently caress off and die you orange scrotum.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

stone cold posted:

He was at least good at pretending he gave a crap about people. I don't think that, had he owned the tallest building in Manhattan after the WTC were destroyed, he would have bragged about it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

stone cold posted:

8 years of semi-placid centrism in control will do wonders on people's memories I guess

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Your Taint posted:

He was at least good at pretending he gave a crap about people. I don't think that, had he owned the tallest building in Manhattan after the WTC were destroyed, he would have bragged about it.

I recommend not getting so sucked into how exceptionally evil trump is that you forget that every republican president including and since Eisenhower has been incredibly evil

JawKnee posted:

8 years of semi-placid centrism in control will do wonders on people's memories I guess

🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus christ, he never loving stops. he never stops trying to make about bullshit PR or how bigly his dick is.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

The Pale King posted:

Saying factory farming is bad = stupid poo poo lol

Learn to read. The original claim:

Hollismason posted:

If 50 percent of the US were vegetarian , Global Warning wouldn't exist.

is, unequivocally, stupid poo poo.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
If we don't raise meat for food... where does our food come from??? We should keep eating meat. I am very smart.

feed people the food and water that the meat would otherwise eat, reduce greenhouse gases.

https://gizmodo.com/do-cow-farts-actually-contribute-to-global-warming-1562144730

quote:

In a 2006 United Nations' Food and Agricultural Organization report, it claims that the livestock sector, most of which are cows, "generates more greenhouse gas emissions as measured in CO2 equivalent – 18 percent – than transport." According to a Danish study, the average cow produces enough methane per year to do the same greenhouse damage as four tons of carbon dioxide

mdemone posted:

I don't mean to be mean, but that is the dumbest motherfucking thing I've heard this week, and I teach physics to special-ed students in an inner-city high school.

google sure is hard

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

stone cold posted:

🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶

spicy, I guess?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

blastron posted:

The amount of food it takes to raise an animal for slaughter is much greater than the amount of food that animal produces. I might be missing something, but how does reducing our consumption of animals (and thus reducing the amount we have to feed those animals) increase burden on our agricultural industry?

The food we feed animals and the food we feed ourselves are far different sources of food. Animals largely eat filler stock we produce while flipping farms, it's disgusting, barely full of any sort of nutritional value, and couldn't sustain people at any real level.

We also get a lot of animal feed/filler from regions that only provide filler style food due to regional weather variations. Large swathes of the Midwest actually don't produce "good" food, or food that's suitable for human consumption, but it works well enough if you are trying to fatten up animals for slaughter. If we were to switch from animal based sustenance those farms wouldn't be able to just suddenly switch to human quality food, they'd just have to go out of business because they wouldn't have a product to sell anymore.

It's why ethanol is even a thing. You can't eat that corn, it's not digestible by anything. So it gets grown and thrown into the government subsidy pile so they can stay afloat and keep people employed/justify flipping farms.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
People need to stop moving the goalposts. Hollismason claimed that if half the US stopped eating meat, we'd have this whole global warming thing solved. This is what's being called stupid. Calling that stupid doesn't mean you think meat isn't contributing to global warming.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Your Taint posted:

Dubya was definitely evil, I think the real difference is that Trump is petty. He's a small minded and self absorbed little poo poo. That mayor attacked him, what do you expect him to do? He's a counter-puncher!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Eric Boehlert is a moron.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Admiral Bosch posted:

If we don't raise meat for food... where does our food come from??? We should keep eating meat. I am very smart.

feed people the food and water that the meat would otherwise eat, reduce greenhouse gases.

https://gizmodo.com/do-cow-farts-actually-contribute-to-global-warming-1562144730

google sure is hard

Yeah just feed Americans more grain and corn that will sure help things

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Your Taint posted:

The Bush administration did more harm than Trump could even imagine.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

stone cold posted:

Bush had heart. But his kill count is also somewhere in the range of half a million. So while Trump is making a good effort he's not there yet.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JawKnee posted:

spicy, I guess?

ding ding ding

you get a prize

the prize is the knowledge that you wrote a hot take

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
We shouldn't compare it to Katrina. George W Bush didn't care about the people of New Orleans. Trump outright hates the people of Puerto Rico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dejawesp posted:

Bush had heart. But his kill count is also somewhere in the range of half a million. So while Trump is making a good effort he's not there yet.

you can have heart AND be evil

• Locked thread