Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating that this doesn't exist, or that all other systems try and derive mech piloting ability from the pilot, instead of assuming competence and letting both just get created freely.

I have seen it argued that the mechs and pilots shouldn't have separate stats, which boggles the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

What systems are good for playing mech pilots?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/149660

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

I have seen it argued that the mechs and pilots shouldn't have separate stats, which boggles the mind.
I mean, if you're doing a thing where the mechs are exaggerated reflections of the pilots but with lasers so the fast guy is also the fast mech and the strong guy is the strong mech and the smart guy is the hacker mech with emps then yeah, that's fine as long as it's clearly laid out as how the game works. It's having to choose between upping your mech and upping your dude that's unmitigated bullshit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

Executive Power Suits
Sold!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

See, that sounds like exactly my jam. The ideas I think hexcrawling would improve are ones where the PCs basically settle along with their fellow refugees, and adventure for resources to get back on a stable footing, and if successful, eventually developing into a regional power.

Although I've also been thinking "Star Control II, but in Spelljammer" and hexcrawling might apply there too, since that's basically what Star Control was all about. Except the map was, you know, space.

Two things:

One - I think one of the early Dragonlance modules had you guiding a caravan of refugees (former prisoners) to safety. While you weren't really developing them into a huge power (you were mainly trying to keep the Dragonarmy from murdering them all), you were trying to get them to safety with the dwarves in Thorbardin and quite a few of the prisoners ended up becoming major players in the story (one of the notable things you can do is start 'bringing back' the Gods of Krynn by having one of the major prisoners, Elistan, read the Disks of Mishakal) Moving the refugees to Thorbardin was also a classic hexcrawl scenario.

Two - You remind me (and sadden me) of the greatest IP/game of all time that no one played/seems to remember - Star Control II is one of the all-time greats, and I wish more people knew about it/used it for inspiration/designed something around it. Star Control II would work as a decent hexcrawl - most of the destinations would already be known with fixed encounters at some points/some specific encounter tables depending on whose 'space' you are in.

It would be hilarious to write it out and calculate how long it would take for every encounter to be replaced with 'Slylandro Probe' if no one does anything about them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LuiCypher posted:

no one played/seems to remember - Star Control II
We move in very different circles of you think no-one remembers star control. I have never played it and yet can describe most of the plot purely through cultural osmosis.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
it got some more attention a few years ago when the ur-quan masters came out (which is a straight port of SC2, just renamed because the original creators had the rights to the source code but not the name)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Holy poo poo, someone made an RPG based on Metal Wolf Chaos. That RULES.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Splicer posted:

We move in very different circles of you think no-one remembers star control. I have never played it and yet can describe most of the plot purely through cultural osmosis.

I think it's probably my age range. None of my friends close to my age have any idea what the hell SC2 is. I wound up playing it growing up when a disc bundled with an issue of PC Gamer came with the full game: it was one of the few PC games I had that my computer at the time (75 Mhz processor with Windows 95/MS-DOS before the age of discrete graphics cards, if I'm remembering correctly) could run.

To give you an idea of when I played it, I was playing it around the time when the N64 was the king of 6th grade slumber parties (mid-90s), so the age of SC2 had kind of already passed for people older than me and people in my age group had no idea what the hell it was.

I am aware that it is totally A Thing for different circles, though. When I looked at old pictures of my fraternity house 'back in the day', one of the brothers painted Fwiffo on the ceiling alongside one of his many quotes.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it got some more attention a few years ago when the ur-quan masters came out (which is a straight port of SC2, just renamed because the original creators had the rights to the source code but not the name)

UQM is pretty baller, but I was definitely taken aback when I heard the voices for the first time as the PC version didn't have voices. As far as voice acting quality goes, it's not bad for the era when it was made. The most jarring races for me to listen to were the Orz, Utwig, and Shofixti - none of them sounded like how I imagined them, and they were better in my imagination. I liked what they did with the Pkunk, VUX, and Spathi though.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 2, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

Yeah SC2 is still hailed as the King of its genre by most circles I am in.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

I wish my circles were as tuned into it as all y'alls.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plutonis posted:

Yep, it's legendary. It's up on almost all 'best PC games ever' lists, and for good reason.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I知 gearing up to start a PbP game elsewhere where I知 going to use Golden Sky Stories to do a Scooby-Doo-esque game about a group of plucky kids and talking animal friends solving spooky mysteries. The problem is I知 not very good at writing mysteries. Is there some kind of mystery plot generator out there or should I just hand-wave that whole aspect and tell my players to focus on the silly hijinks in allegedly haunted locations aspect?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Getsuya posted:

I知 gearing up to start a PbP game elsewhere where I知 going to use Golden Sky Stories to do a Scooby-Doo-esque game about a group of plucky kids and talking animal friends solving spooky mysteries. The problem is I知 not very good at writing mysteries. Is there some kind of mystery plot generator out there or should I just hand-wave that whole aspect and tell my players to focus on the silly hijinks in allegedly haunted locations aspect?

You want a Gumshoe game. I think Bubblegumshoe might even include Scooby-Doo out of the box.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

You want a Gumshoe game. I think Bubblegumshoe might even include Scooby-Doo out of the box.

Yeah but I want to see what GSS is like when it痴 used for different kinds of stories. The system is fine and I already know how I知 going to run it, I知 just stuck on making mystery plots.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can just borrow plots from old mystery novels and episodes of television if you're getting stuck.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hot drat

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Why does the Japanese elf look like the boy she picked up at the club just dropped his trousers and revealed he had a 15 inch penis?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
she's the elf from Delicious Dungeon, who constantly is in a state of worried panic because her friends are idiots

you weirdo

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Countblanc posted:

she's the elf from Delicious Dungeon, who constantly is in a state of worried panic because her friends are idiots

you weirdo

I thought it was a funny statement.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zoro posted:

Why does the Japanese elf look like the boy she picked up at the club just dropped his trousers and revealed he had a 15 inch penis?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elves are a primary Dex race so id be worried too because 15 inches is way past finesse weapon.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Zoro posted:

I thought it was a funny statement.

it wasn't but this is kind of a funny followup tbf

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Countblanc posted:

you weirdo
Of all the places on the internet, you think that's an insult here?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
uh

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SunAndSpring posted:

What systems are good for playing mech pilots?

Tenra Bansho Zero has some pretty fun mecha rules. There's also Mechnoir if you want a game that's simple but still satisfying.

Arivia posted:

Bubblegumshoe does Veronica Mars but it wouldn't be hard to throw a talking dog in either

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 3, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It strikes me that there might be people in this thread who have not read Dungeon Meshi/Delicious In Dungeon.

Everyone should go do that whenever you have the time, there's official English versions as well as scanlations online, and it's hilarious and great.

Playing DnD and similar fantasy games and not having read Dungeon Meshi is like playing World of Darkness frequently and yet having never seen What We Do In the Shadows.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bewilderment posted:

Playing DnD and similar fantasy games and not having read Dungeon Meshi is like playing World of Darkness frequently and yet having never seen What We Do In the Shadows.

:thunk:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

yeah that's really not the recommendation dude seems to think it is

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Dungeon Meshi is a cute comic about a pretty standard group of D&D PCs doing the sensible thing and making tasty meals out of all the dragons and otyughs they kill.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I need to commission a few pieces of D&D character art and I have no idea where to go or how to start. I worry that whatever numbers I think might be correct for both time it will take and amount it will cost will just offend whatever artist I try to talk to.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

bewilderment posted:

It strikes me that there might be people in this thread who have not read Dungeon Meshi/Delicious In Dungeon.

Everyone should go do that whenever you have the time, there's official English versions as well as scanlations online, and it's hilarious and great.

The premise of Dungeon Meshi sounds cute and fun and maybe I'll read it someday. However :siren:HOTTAKE:siren: What We Do In the Shadows got pretty old pretty fast and was a boring and not very good movie.

theironjef posted:

I need to commission a few pieces of D&D character art and I have no idea where to go or how to start. I worry that whatever numbers I think might be correct for both time it will take and amount it will cost will just offend whatever artist I try to talk to.

As steeped as it is in sticky fetishists, I think DeviantArt is still a place you can reliably go to browse someone's portfolio and find their rates.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

theironjef posted:

Most artists who take commissions have standard rates and examples to go along with them. Usually single characters and groups have different pricing, and so do different levels of detail put into the work (sketch, inked, colored). Just don't ask for hundreds of revisions and you'll be fine.

bewilderment posted:

Everyone should go do that whenever you have the time

Nah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's better D&D-based comedy than the majority of more obviously D&D-inspired works but if D&D leaves you cold, well.

At least there's the informative cooking travelogue aspect.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Dungeon Meshi is legit good way beyond the D&D aspect. It's well drawn, the characters are fun, there's some pretty good eye to detail, etc. The D&D factor of it is fun, but also it's really not about D&D. That's just...kinda the setting, I guess. Which, of course, is why it's legit good - because there actually IS a "beyond the D&D aspect."

ITT actual legit manga recommendations apparently.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Are there any RPG supplements or sections of books that go into eating monsters? Like cutting a few steaks off a griffin or frying up some owlbear wings? I imagine they would be used a food sources, but thinking back on it I can't remember reading anything in all those 3.0 books about eating the weird poo poo you kill.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's something people have tried but it doesn't really fit with the amount of stuff you chew through in a standard adventure.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Obviously the difference between a Humanoid and a Monstrous Humanoid is which ones' prion diseases will cross-infect humans, making them taboo subjects for cannibalism. Can't get kuru from a centaur!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Serf posted:

Are there any RPG supplements or sections of books that go into eating monsters? Like cutting a few steaks off a griffin or frying up some owlbear wings? I imagine they would be used a food sources, but thinking back on it I can't remember reading anything in all those 3.0 books about eating the weird poo poo you kill.

In Hackmaster there's a Butcher skill that will tell you how much meat you can make out of a carcass of different weights, and the Yield section in each monster entry tells you (along with what treasure it has) whether or not any part of the monster has medicinal value, is regarded as particularly edible/delicious, is worth money, or has any weird effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ProfessorCirno posted:

Dungeon Meshi is legit good way beyond the D&D aspect. It's well drawn, the characters are fun, there's some pretty good eye to detail, etc. The D&D factor of it is fun, but also it's really not about D&D. That's just...kinda the setting, I guess. Which, of course, is why it's legit good - because there actually IS a "beyond the D&D aspect."

ITT actual legit manga recommendations apparently.

I just bought a copy of it b/c of this thread, if its not good I'm going to be disappointed in you. :colbert:

Really though, that sounds like a great concept, I'm definitely onboard to give it a try.

• Locked thread