Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zuul the Cat posted:

He's not unkillable.
The problem is not his killability (a technical term, to be sure), but rather the fact that he's basically an auto-include. He's SO good that it's difficult to justify leaving him out of your list. It's cool for you (in particular) that he also fits your fluff, but if you wanted to play a Forge World other than Mars, you are essentially boned by comparison.

And this isn't something that's limited to characters. Any time there's a unit type or weapon option that so good you wouldn't consider fielding anything else (e.g. grav-guns under 7th), the game as a whole suffers for it. Similarly, if a unit is so bad that you'd only field it under duress, then what's the point? A well-designed unit or character is either situational (use this unit if your mission objectives require you to move fast or far, use this unit if you need to kill vehicles, etc) or is pointed appropriately such that taking it or not taking it is a valid choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Arven posted:

Stolen from reddit

That Ork Hunter is fuckin' dope, and the latest Badcast has me wanting to get some Space Buffmans.

I don't want a new army so I might have to convince people here to start a Shadow War campaign.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pendent posted:

Those guard conversions looks incredibly badass but it sounds like such a pain in the rear end to have to convert all 60 guardsman you're runing or whatever. Probably expensive too, since a lot of those looked like you'd basically need two seperate kits.

Converting isn't the problem, they're all pretty simple kitbashes. Sourcing the bits is - those greatcoat legs are one per Cadian command squad, and those bits don't come cheap.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Arven posted:

Stolen from reddit

That redcowl is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in an acolyte.

Well, maybe needs more fire.

Reddit seems to think the head / cowl bit is from fantasy wild rangers, that's probably going to be a no-go.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sorta wondering how you're supposed to pull off the Tanith on a large scale since I if the cloak is greenstuffed or converted from the Cadian Command Squad sniper rifle.
I know the lasgun arm is from the Catachan CCS at least because I still haven't found a use for the one I have. :v:

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd like to explore more of a campaign-style game with friends, doing stuff like fighting over a map to control territory and whatnot. Has anyone done anything like that?

We're currently a few weeks into a combination escalation league/ campaign. We started with each of the 5 players "drafting" 5 hexes with room for expansion, as well as each person coming up with 3 environmental effects which were also placed in hexes to vary up the gameplay a bit. Each player also received one "ambush" they are considered have to set up in an unowned hex - basically this means that if someone is attempting to take an unoccupied hex you don't border, you can choose to use your ambush to contest that hex.

We're only up to 400 points right now so we haven't really been playing missions yet, but in the next few weeks the plan is to start adding them in using the open war deck, and then eventually a modified version of the battle selection method TheChirurgeon had linked early in the thread. I believe we are going to eventually start doing warlord advancement as well, but we haven't started as of yet, again due to the low point level meaning several people aren't running their eventual HQ yet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

Sorta wondering how you're supposed to pull off the Tanith on a large scale since I if the cloak is greenstuffed or converted from the Cadian Command Squad sniper rifle.
I know the lasgun arm is from the Catachan CCS at least because I still haven't found a use for the one I have. :v:

You buy thirty boxes! :v:

I'm a big big fan of new-GW but it's still, you know, GW?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I'm a big big fan of new-GW but it's still, you know, GW?

Yeah I won't dispute that. v:v:v
I mean if I knew all the parts I might just build one of those guys for a lark but I can't see myself making a whole army with them without going deep into third party stuff as well.

If GW were to ever release new Wood Elf kits I could see myself looking into using those for conversion jobs but not now since the current Glade Guard box is possibly older than the Cadians. Used their cloaks before for a conversion and it looks decent but not spectacular.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd like to explore more of a campaign-style game with friends, doing stuff like fighting over a map to control territory and whatnot. Has anyone done anything like that?

Yeah, I"ve run a couple and am currently running one with my Jersey City crew. What I find is that the way you want to run it depends entirely on how many players you have, how often they/you can play, and what their investment level is. You have any additional context you can provide on these fronts?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah those custom regiments are cool but an awful lot of them are like "add this thing you get one of in a £30 box plus this thing which is in a completely unrelated kit for a different game which is also £30 and glue them to half a Cadian" and that's not really a feasible way to convert anything when you're not based in the Studio.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
even if you were made of money all of those Guardsmen would have the exact same poses. terrible

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

The problem is not his killability (a technical term, to be sure), but rather the fact that he's basically an auto-include. He's SO good that it's difficult to justify leaving him out of your list. It's cool for you (in particular) that he also fits your fluff, but if you wanted to play a Forge World other than Mars, you are essentially boned by comparison.

And this isn't something that's limited to characters. Any time there's a unit type or weapon option that so good you wouldn't consider fielding anything else (e.g. grav-guns under 7th), the game as a whole suffers for it. Similarly, if a unit is so bad that you'd only field it under duress, then what's the point? A well-designed unit or character is either situational (use this unit if your mission objectives require you to move fast or far, use this unit if you need to kill vehicles, etc) or is pointed appropriately such that taking it or not taking it is a valid choice.

Yeah, totally. I pointed out in my post as well that he's an autotake for me as well, but my running Mars just happens to make him fit. AdMech definitely suffer from him being so good and the complete lack of other choices for HQs. I can't really think of any other AdMech units that are a mandatory take.

I haven't really noticed, are there any other armies that suffer from must take units?

Corrode posted:

Yeah those custom regiments are cool but an awful lot of them are like "add this thing you get one of in a £30 box plus this thing which is in a completely unrelated kit for a different game which is also £30 and glue them to half a Cadian" and that's not really a feasible way to convert anything when you're not based in the Studio.

Duncan showing how he kitbashed his Freeguild Solakain Spearmen video makes me chuckle every time since he picks out like over $200 worth of boxes and is only using certain items (like the heads of marauder horsemen, or the daggers of liberators).

But if you happen to play Disciples of Tzeentch, Stormcast Eternals, Darkling Covens and Slaves to Darkness, I guess it works out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
To be fair, lots of people play different armies and you end up with a bunch of unused heads and weapons from the various infantry units.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Zuul the Cat posted:

I haven't really noticed, are there any other armies that suffer from must take units?

off the top of my head:

Craftworlds - Wave Serpent
Harlequins - Shadowseer
Ynnari - Yvraine
Orks - Warboss (maybe on a bike)
Death Guard - Plagueburst Crawler

i'm sure there are more

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Phyresis posted:

This has already been determined?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I hope they go back and give another unit or 2 to the thousand sons, especially if they are getting a standalone codex, the models are gorgeous but the range is tiny compared to nurgle boys :(

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 3, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

I dunno if these are really must takes. Are these must takes on a competitive level or just to be able to play the game effectively?

Wave Serpents are transports. Why wouldn't you take them? That's like saying Rhinos are must takes. Having to foot slog with weak as poo poo infantry that die when someone farts in their direction blows.

I don't think you have to take a Plagueburst Crawler. One of the guys I normally play with weekly runs Deathguard. His army is tough as nails and can go toe to toe with me almost every match without one, and he's almost entirely foot slogging with minimal vehicles. I think the only thing he runs are 2 blight drones.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I just want more than 1 FW Slaaneshi greater daemon. :( Zarakanel looks cool and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to the multitude of options the other 3 demon armies have. And the GW model for a Keeper of Secrets is The Worst™.

I was hoping to run a part Slaanesh part Emperor's Children army, but outside of daemonettes and seekers, my points are better spent elsewhere in CSM.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I don't think anyone blames other players, but it does kinda suck to feel like you're gimping yourself because a special character is so good. And them being that good means there are few games without them for people who dislike them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

From a fluff perspective, I hope we get rules for that Genestealer Cult Magus who's scared shitless of Tyranids and keeps fleeing planets before they arrive.

Then he starts a new cult on the next world because he can't help himself, it's just what he does.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Phyresis posted:

off the top of my head:

Harlequins - Shadowseer
Ynnari - Yvraine

i'm sure there are more

I think the point of this list is just to show models that are undercosted to the point of making other units "bad" in comparison. Why would you ever take a Falcon when you could have a Wave Serpent that has double the transport capacity, another wound, a damage reduction ability/mortalwoundsplosion and almost the same damage while being 40-50 points cheaper. Ynnari REQUIRE a special named character as your warlord and regular craftworld eldar is dumpster tier unless you have a bunch of wave serpents zooming around playing bumper cars to prevent stuff from shooting.

For death guard, the plagueburst crawler is just straight up better than the bloat drone. For Orks, warbosses on bikes are loving terrifying for such a cheap unit and one of the few games I lost to my friend's ork army he proxied a bunch of bike nobs as a supreme command detatchment of Warboss bikers and zoomed over (protected by a 30 man jumped unit of shoota boyz) and chopped my whole army to pieces.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Phyresis posted:

off the top of my head:

i'm sure there are more

Warboss is 68 pts with base loadout, is fluffy and fully customisable as one of your dudes fluff wise, you’re reaching a little on that one. Warboss on a bike won’t be in the Codex probably.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I hope they go back and give another unit or 2 to the thousand sons, especially if they are getting a standalone codex, the models are gorgeous but the range is tiny compared to nurgle boys :(

Agreed, it makes lists a little predictable right now. But secretly it’s because I want more gorgeous models.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Phyresis posted:

even if you were made of money all of those Guardsmen would have the exact same poses. terrible

This just isn't true. Some of them maybe - the parts required for the Mordian dude wouldn't allow much flexibility for example - but most of the rest have a pretty decent set of bits from which to build the base model.

I like the guy with the Skitarius helmet, that is a build that would give you lots of flexibility. As long as you don't mind the mismatched GSC shotguns and autoguns instead of lasguns.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Milotic posted:

Warboss is 68 pts with base loadout, is fluffy and fully customisable as one of your dudes fluff wise, you’re reaching a little on that one. Warboss on a bike won’t be in the Codex probably.

might as well throw space marine captains on there in that case.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Phyresis posted:

i'm sure there are more

Tau Commanders - basically every other suit can be replicated with the commander objectively better and cheaper.
Drones - cheap bodies that let the commanders have effectively infinite burst cannons and wounds.

It makes making lists depressing when every time you pick something a nagging thought goes, "yeah its nice but that HYMP broadside is just a commander with missile pods except more expensive and slower".

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Despite GW not putting entries for units that do not have models in the codex, does the Astra Militarum codex have an entry for veterans as troops?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Indexes were a hack job, it's not really fair to compare tau to the codex factions with regards to auto includes

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

not lame! posted:

Despite GW not putting entries for units that do not have models in the codex, does the Astra Militarum codex have an entry for veterans as troops?

Vets are in the Codex as Elites (same as Index)

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

chutche2 posted:

Indexes were a hack job, it's not really fair to compare tau to the codex factions with regards to auto includes

This is true, but is also a commonly whined about thing on a lot of forums so it is sort of worth mentioning particularly if there is gonna be a few months till any changes for them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A happier solution would be squatting Tau entirely

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

not lame! posted:

Imagine a world where Conscripts got squatted for technically lacking unique models.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bee posted:

Imagine a world where Conscripts got squatted for technically lacking unique models.

This would have been the most hilarious thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I got this Contemptor by buying a dude a shot at NOVA and he gave me his:

I also magnetized it in case I ever want a multimelta for some reason:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

I fumbled mine and the kheres neatly detatched exposing the magnets id set up before gluing it so thankfully I can give him the multi melta now, in a dozen games the kheres has consistently failed to wow me.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Giveh the story of how you got it I'm glad you've posed it to be drunkenly swaying after a hard night on the town.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

I absolutely love your work, I do have to say that the pose looks like someone when they get caught doing something wrong.

I just hear it saying, "uhhh it wasn't me"

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zark the Damned posted:

Giveh the story of how you got it I'm glad you've posed it to be drunkenly swaying after a hard night on the town.

Power fist desperately searching for something to steady itself with

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

That's honestly the best case scenario with this sculpt tbh

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Does anyone have any suggestions for suppliers of terrain? I would like to get enough to put together a battlefield at home. I am assuming that I start with a FAT mat, and then buy some stuff to go on it - assuming I wanted to spend up to about £100/$150 (on top of the mat) what would people recommend? I have a strong preference against anything I have to paint myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

One_Wing posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for suppliers of terrain? I would like to get enough to put together a battlefield at home. I am assuming that I start with a FAT mat, and then buy some stuff to go on it - assuming I wanted to spend up to about £100/$150 (on top of the mat) what would people recommend? I have a strong preference against anything I have to paint myself.

Well, you have to paint it, but a few of these will fill a table quickly:

https://ttcombat.com/collections/sci-fi-gothic-scenics/products/ruin-sector

Black primer and a quick grey and white dry brush will make it look like stone or concrete without much effort.