Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Because the now-former AD wanted someone he'd never have to worry would be recorded saying "Our crowd. What a bunch of loving fair-weather loving—they can all kiss my rear end out the loving door. 'Cause the day is loving coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm loving gone. I'm so loving pissed off."

OK, sure.

Did Pelini say this? If so, he was right, wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Nebraska fans get angry whenever an "outsider" is hired, they think like rural people think.

While there are certainly parts of the fanbase with this tone-deaf and naive opinion, I personally don't give a flying gently caress if the next coach is from Bumfuck, NE or the moon. I just want the program to be reasonably successful.

Hope this post isn't too rural. :ohdear:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Nebraska fans get angry whenever an "outsider" is hired, they think like rural people think. They will only be happy if Scott Frost or Turner Gill or Trev Albert or some other familiar face is hired. If Riley is fired after/during this season, though, NU will once again face another 3-4 years as it "rebuilds" and tries to use players recruited by a previous coach. It would be completely disastrous for the program, and completely in-line with what NU fans deserve.

So they should keep going 6-6 with Riley forever?

They made a bad hire. The answer to that is not "never make another hire ever again"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Nebraska fans get angry whenever an "outsider" is hired, they think like rural people think.

It is my understanding that you do not follow local city politics in any city.

He can't be mayor because he's not a real whatevervillian.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Komet posted:

Did Pelini say this? If so, he was right, wasn't he?

1. Yes he did

2. That's not really the point, Komet

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

Stitt hasn't been very good at Montana

does he still have that lumbering frost giant with the grace of a drunk antelope as his qb

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Pelini said nothing wrong.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So according the the Vol SBNation page, it would cost Tennessee anywhere from 11-13 million to get rid of Jones and all his assistants of they cleaned house at the end of the season.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Butch probably isn't gone at that cost (but SEC madness and Tennessee boosters might fix that), but I'm finally on board with the other Vols fans here. He ain't gonna fix this ship, its a sinking pile full of holes you thought we fixed but really just stuck some shiny duct tape over. Except now that shine is totally gone and all that's left is the underachieving rudderless disaster that is this program since Kiffin left town in the middle of the night.

Throw in his insane press moments and yeah he makes it really hard to defend him, you can't be nutty and be losing.

SEC gonna fire a lot of dudes and pay them to not coach. Honestly maybe we need to be applying harder for these kush payouts most of us can't be worse than some of the dreck out there currently.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'd do it for a million a year and just run the dang ball every play, except the plays where I unleash the dragon. Cant be that hard.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I wish I could think like one of those darn tootin' big city folks, why out here in the fields we don't do much of this here book learnin, so I say bring back Jimmy Harbaugh to be the dang football coach, he too eats corn like me and my paw

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
UTEP brings back Mike Price to finish the season.

Or maybe more!!! :unsmigghh:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Price is back, bitches!
https://twitter.com/UTEPFB/status/915001589328261120

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Rick posted:

I feel like he did such a bad job at recruiting at UTEP that even a division 2 team would be hesitant to take him on.

You'd think he could have gotten at least one of his kids to come there.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Butch probably isn't gone at that cost (but SEC madness and Tennessee boosters might fix that), but I'm finally on board with the other Vols fans here. He ain't gonna fix this ship, its a sinking pile full of holes you thought we fixed but really just stuck some shiny duct tape over. Except now that shine is totally gone and all that's left is the underachieving rudderless disaster that is this program since Kiffin left town in the middle of the night.

Throw in his insane press moments and yeah he makes it really hard to defend him, you can't be nutty and be losing.

SEC gonna fire a lot of dudes and pay them to not coach. Honestly maybe we need to be applying harder for these kush payouts most of us can't be worse than some of the dreck out there currently.

As I said above it would take him losing the next 2 or 3 games to get fired which is a possibility. Hell if they get blown out by South Carolina and Bama the next week he may not make it to Kentucky.

That said Jones' teams are so all over the place they could blow out South Carolina. Still it's no longer a question if Jones get fired, just a question of when. 2017? 2018? No way he makes it to 2019, so I don't understand waiting. Also here in Knoxville everyone has turned on him, and it would take beating Bama to get some of them back on his side.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This team isn't blowing anyone out. They barely beat loving UMass. You could pull those surprise blowouts when Dobbs would pull games out of his rear end but Dormady/Guarantano aren't doing that. They blew out Indiana state and the offense has gotten worse week to week. It wouldn't surprise me at all for this team to go 2-5 the rest of the season, and I'm not counting LSU as a loss.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's mining baby! It's mining!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man this is gonna get good :munch:

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/914967045111939072

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
There is no reason not to fire Butch now during the bye week and get someone as interim and get the coaching search started for the end of the year. We are in YEAR 5 and we shouldn't be putting games against South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt in the "tossup" win column. IT'S YEAR 5. Those games should be automatic wins and we shouldn't be worrying about them. Smart has Georgia playing great football in year loving 2, there's no reason Butch should have a team this lovely full of 4 and 5 star talent with how long he has been there. Something needs to be done NOW.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Dammit, every time the most recent post is a Tennessee fan I get excited

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Give Butch a chance. I want to see the degeneration of his press conferences into full-blown stream of consciousness rants as the season progresses.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Please hire Al Golden to be interim coach.

that would be the funniest possible option, except for possibly hiring him full time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

Give Butch a chance. I want to see the degeneration of his press conferences into full-blown stream of consciousness rants as the season progresses.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Bolt/Tennessee-Vols-Butch-Jones-shrugs-off-hot-seat-talk-as-nonsense-108360226

quote:

Vols' Butch Jones shrugs off hot-seat talk as 'nonsense'

Coming off Tennessee's 41-0 loss to Georgia on Saturday, Vols coach Butch Jones was greeted Monday night at the Touchdown Club of Memphis by questions about his job security.

Jones shrugged off the increasing speculation about his future at Tennessee as "nonsense," adding that he and his staff will have to "put blinders on" and ignore the criticism as the Vols (3-2, 0-2 SEC) look to make the most of their open date this week.

"That's part of being a head football coach," Jones told Memphis' WATN-TV. "I think that kind of comes with the territory. That's nonsense. It's out there, but again, you put blinders on and you go to work each and every day."

Tennessee now finds itself two games back in the SEC East standings just five games into the season going into its home game Oct. 14 against South Carolina.

But Jones said "it's a long, long football season," and the Vols still have "a lot out there to play for."

"We have a great, passionate fan base, and they're very, very loyal," he said. "We're working hard each and every day, and it's a long, long football season. And the coaching staff, the players, we understand that. But there are seven games left to be played, and there's a lot out there to play for, so we just have to stay the course and continue to work each and every day."

Tennessee will return to the practice field Tuesday afternoon, and Jones said the Vols plan to shake things up during their open-date practices by putting on full pads.

"This bye week is coming at the right time, but also it's a critical moment in the stage and growth and development of this football team, so we'll go back. We're going to go to full-pad practice, and our players want that," Jones said in comments that were aired Monday night on Knoxville's WATE-TV.

"Everyone's driven, and so, again, the next few days are going to be critical."

oh and while I'm at it rumors are flying that 5* OT Cade Mays has/will decommited from the Vols.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 3, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dang media has no respect for a coach who consistently leads his team to championships (of life)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Dang media has no respect for a coach who consistently leads his team to championships (of life)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20824576/tennessee-volunteers-coach-butch-jones-criticizes-fake-news-program

quote:

Butch Jones criticizes media coverage of Tennessee program

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee football coach Butch Jones criticized the media coverage of his program Monday while responding to a question about an injured player.

As the final question of his Monday news conference, Jones was asked whether a teammate caused the injury that prevented defensive tackle Shy Tuttle from playing last week in a 17-13 victory over Massachusetts. Jones started out by saying "football is an emotional and a competitive game" before noting the injury wasn't caused by a teammate and that Tuttle merely landed on a helmet.

Jones then expressed his displeasure with the "drama" surrounding media coverage of Tennessee's program and cited "all the positive things we've done."

"I'm the caretaker of Tennessee football," Jones said during his two-minute answer. "I'm here to develop and grow a football program, recruit the best possible student-athletes to represent the University of Tennessee and win football games and graduate our players. That's my responsibility. I take that very seriously.

"But also I love our kids and I'm gonna protect our players, and I'm gonna protect our program. Sometimes the negativity is overwhelming, and if everyone is Vol fans, how do we let our opponents use that in the recruiting process with fake news?"

Jones also said he would "fully anticipate" Tuttle being available for Tennessee's game Saturday with No. 7 Georgia (4-0, 1-0 SEC). The exact nature of Tuttle's injury hasn't been specified.

Jones' rant came as he discussed the need for the Volunteers (3-1, 0-1) to show more passion as they prepare to host Georgia after two straight disappointing performances. Tennessee fell out of the Top 25 after a 26-20 loss at Florida and followed that up with a closer-than-expected victory over winless underdog UMass, an underdog of more than 27 points.

"We have to understand, what do we want out of our media?" Jones asked. "It's this place, with the drama."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh poo poo I just realized Brady Hoke is the most obvious interim coach on staff

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

oh and while I'm at it rumors are flying that 5* OT Cade Mays has/will decommited from the Vols.

yikes, this would be real bad. Knoxville native, legacy, been committed for over 2 years.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

MourningView posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized Brady Hoke is the most obvious interim coach on staff

Larry Scott was interim at Miami after Golden was fired, so when Golden 2.0 gets fired it also makes sense.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

At a speaking engagement at the Atlanta Touchdown Club, Bob Stoops shared that he has no intentions of returning to college football, or coaching in the NFL. “You won’t see me on a college sideline or a pro sideline. A lot of people act like they know, and there will be more than a few jobs out there. But that isn’t at all what I’m looking to do,” Stoops shared, according to SEC Country.

I still can't help but think there was more to his quick departure, but hey maybe he did just get tired of it all.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

DJExile posted:

I still can't help but think there was more to his quick departure, but hey maybe he did just get tired of it all.

It really doesn't seem like it was meant to cover up anything nefarious, because he's still on the payroll as an advisor to OU's AD and comes to the games and everything. If I had to guess I'd say he was just concerned about what happened to his dad, or maybe also got tired of the behind-the-scenes political games, and he felt like he could go out on top.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

Bob Stoops watched his dad die while coaching at the ripe old age of 55

He's done

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Stoops stopped by UGA's practice yesterday to yak it up with Kirby

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

KKKLIP ART posted:

Stoops stopped by UGA's practice yesterday to yak it up with Kirby

I could see stoops going from practice field to practice field like a wandering coach-for-hire.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think Al Golden would be a good coach somewhere. He was obviously never a good fit at Miami (and wouldn't be at Tennessee), but I could see him at a place like Illinois or Duke when Cutcliffe retires.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

good points about Stoops' dad, I'd forgotten about that

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah, Stoops has a good game plan. Retire when you're rich, on the top, don't want to coach anymore, and with a hand-picked successor that you trust.

Probably worked out for both Stoops and Oklahoma.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Komet posted:

I think Al Golden would be a good coach somewhere. He was obviously never a good fit at Miami (and wouldn't be at Tennessee), but I could see him at a place like Illinois or Duke when Cutcliffe retires.

Or an American team, like say, UCF after Nebraska scoops up Scott Frost.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Someone like Mizzou should kick the tires on ol' Les, if only to try and right the ship for the next three years or so. Odom was supposed to do that but he's clearly in over his head.

Also Mullen's agent should be calling UT's AD every day.
Odom was basically a last ditch hire by an incompetent AD in hopes of continuing the Gary Pinkel way.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Jim Sterk seems to be able to stick his whole arm in to the puckered assholes of Mizzou boosters to retrieve wads of cash so I'm cautiously optimistic about the offseason hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

If Brady Hoke and Ed Orgeron are head coaches in the same conference, does the universe survive?

• Locked thread