Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick posted:

The important thing to do, when reading these stories, isn't to go "whew, glad I'm not like that!!" it's to identify the ways that you ARE like that and think of how they appear from the other person's point of view.
This is the pretension but most people only post their problems because they want permission to say "no" and advocate for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've actually heard from others that the Geriatric community is rife with STD's, as surprise surprise the sexually active oldies give zero fucks about their long term health over AIDS and the like. So I can totally imagine a young woman having to give pops a lecture about staying safe, and it makes me smile

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
As an aside, where does the "Goon in a well/piss in the well" thing come from? Is it from a specific story?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bubblyblubber posted:

As an aside, where does the "Goon in a well/piss in the well" thing come from? Is it from a specific story?

SAclopedia posted:

The well analogy was the creation of forums poster Unibrow in response to the activity in a 2006 E/N thread about a goon with a cheating spouse.

The thread is here (requires archives): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1889325
Unibrow's "well analogy" reply: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1889325&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post310152192
And it spread from there since EN, like reddit, has a lot of "I came here for advice but I'm going to ignore it all and do bad ideas instead" posters.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

And it spread from there since EN, like reddit, has a lot of "I came here for advice but I'm going to ignore it all and do bad ideas instead" posters.

These forums might be dead and gay, but no one can say we didn't see some crazy poo poo along the way.

And, unlike the forums, this guy is not dead.

Do straight guys [22M] usually to this other guys [24M]?

quote:

u/zevfar
Hi guys/girls,

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to determine whether this guy is into me or not.

Bit of a back story, I met him about a year ago and but have got to known him better as of recent. We study together at college. Before I really got to know him, I never suspected him being anything more than straight. He's your typical straight guy you could say, likes sports and talks about girls all the time. I also don't usually go for straight guys because it's just a big waste of my time.

Every now and then we'd hang out and go to parties and he'd act a bit more flirtatious with me. He's done a lot of things which I consider to be intimate.

Signs he may be interested

Hugs me all the time, sometimes he'd hug me from behind and/or around the waist.
Gives me head/neck massages on multiple occasions.
Slowly caresses my head/hair with his hand.
Caressed my chin.
Called me cute
We've slept in the same bed 6 times now, even though there were free couches and beds available. On one occasion (whilst drunk) our legs would be entangled and nobody would move for a couple hours.
After sleeping in the same bed for the second time, I said wth and ended up big spooning him to which he didn't move for about 15 mins then had to go toilet (confused about this one).
I remember telling him someone ate my tub of relatively expensive ice-cream, and he bought one for me the following week.
He wiped the sweat off my forehead with his thumb.
He put his hand on top of mine and started caressing my hand.
Knowing he wouldn't see me for a few weeks, he took my hand and kissed it as a goodbye gesture.
He flew up to another city while I was on a business trip to hang with me. (I suspect it may be because he was bored and he didn't have to pay accommodation?)
Sack tap me in the balls twice now.
He'd tried to get me to kiss/lick his face after losing to pie face game (google pie face showdown).
He'd initiate playing footsies (barefoot in the air)
I told him I liked this particular shirt on him (he only has ever worn it once) and wore it the next day.
Lay his head on the curve of my back while i'm laying on the bed.
Always grabbing me, whether that be my thighs or my legs or my foot.
Playfully punch me, realised it hurt me then gave me a hug.
Caught him looking at me then quickly looking away as I looked.
I'd itch my back, and he'd itch it for me.
Constantly tell me he loves me, and that i'm a good boy (and a good egg????) (usually when he's drunk, but sometimes when he's sober too).
He once snapchatted me a video of him in his underwear and zooming on his bulge. (He'd then go on to tell me that it wasn't for me and that he was just drunk).
Signs he's probably NOT interested

Has had a girlfriend for 3 months (she broke up with him)
Told me the story about how he lost his virginity to her
Mentioned he's slept with a few other women before
Has used the word fa*got multiple times before
Told me it was physically impossible for him to be sexually aroused by a man
Said he'd find it strange if he found out our mutual friend was gay
He woke up late and chose to stay in the comfort of his own bed, instead of coming to study to spend alone time with me.
Says he wants to sleep around before he settles down
Said he found it strange I asked him to sleep in the same bed as me (but he was the one who insisted on doing so ["I'm sleeping wherever [name] is sleeping], I only give him the option).
Subscribes to ALOT of pretty girls on instagram/facebook/snapchat
Didn't want to play his favourite Rihanna song out loud incase people around would think he was gay
Talk about how he was talking to a girl on the plane
Mentioned that the girls in the city are 10x better looking than the ones back in our hometown
Asked him why he only insisted on purchasing patterned underwear, says incase he brings a girl back it would be aesthetically pleasing.
Talked about wanting to get fit so he can pick up girls over the summer.
Asked him why he liked trying on tighter fit pants, said that girls dig the look...
Caught him scrolling through a girls instagram profile and screenshotting revealing pics of her (side boobs etc.). He had no reason to do so because he didn't actually know I was in the room or watching.
Showed me his phone with a bunch of girls screenshots on his phone (only because I requested to see).
Said he never bothers to dress to impress at Uni, because there wasn't anybody to impress (even though he sees me all the time).
Didn't like it when i accidentally brushed my feet by his, but then would play footsies??? wth
Felt uncomfortable when a gay guy in a movie we were watching started winking at the camera.
Stare at girls booty's and how a girl dresses and comments her as looking 'fit'.
He found it strange I start a conversation with "Hello Baby", even though he'd call me baby, or sweetie or bae etc all the time... Double standards?
Accidentally brushed my hand against his and he called me a "gay boy"...
The worst thing he's done that I found REALLY disrespectful was that we're from Australia, so currently the nation is voting whether marriage equality should be legalised or not. The night before he flew over, he sent me a snap of him throwing his postal letter vote in the bin... Yeah. But then he'd hug me and tell me to vote yes???

I know after that list, he sounds like an pretty awful guy but I honestly think he was just being a insensitive to my emotions and probably unaware to the way I feel towards him. However, I'm also certain he knows I'm gay because early on he did ask me if ever kissed a boy (which I haven't so I said no), or call himself a guy and myself a girl or mention that there is a lot of beautiful MEN and woman in said city. So if he knows I'm gay, why is he doing those kind of things? To test me? Or could he actually be interested..

I would've came out to him by now, but the fact that I like him but the things he has said and done has made me wary to do so.

I'm pretty sure I know what to do with this guy, and is confront him on how I feel and how he's made me feel. I do like the friendship we have now and every time we do meet up, we both always end up having a good time. If you guys don't think he's interested, should I even bother revealing how I feel about him (to save the friendship?). I feel like, if anything were to happen it would've happened in said city.

Sorry guys for the long post, this is somewhat therapeutic for me.

*TLDR - Guy is overly affectionate for just a straight guy, however denies liking guys and is slightly homophobic (see list). Is he straight/gay/bi? and is he interested? *

Any help would be much appreciated and i would love to hear any stories that of similar experience!

Thank you in advance.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Bubblyblubber posted:

These forums might be dead and gay, but no one can say we didn't see some crazy poo poo along the way.

Seems normal and heterosexual to me. Better not mess up this beautiful friendship with your deviant sexual preferences.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
[quote="„boner confessor“" post="„476994541“"]
lmao gas stations in the united states dont sell flowers but they do sell these they are crack pipes

[/quote]

Atleast he thought of her while buying cigarettes! That has to count for something.. Now give him a bj, for christ sake

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Damb I'm straight as gently caress and I still got a chub from that notbgay but really gay guys romantic activities

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Serephina posted:

I've actually heard from others that the Geriatric community is rife with STD's, as surprise surprise the sexually active oldies give zero fucks about their long term health over AIDS and the like. So I can totally imagine a young woman having to give pops a lecture about staying safe, and it makes me smile

Grandpa gay, so what

I was thinking more along the lines of not getting robbed or murdered.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Bubblyblubber posted:

Whatever this guy is, gay dude needs to run for the loving hills.

He's that dudes version of the guy big, burly, depressed Goth guy who kind of hit on you at a vulnerable time in your life and led you on, but then chickened out, giving you nothing but heartache, an addiction to Camel Menthol Lights, and a lot of slightly annoyed friends because you're spinning the Pet Shop Boys 1999 UK hit "I don't know what you want but I can't give it anymore," on endless repeat.

A few months later he tells a girl friend of yours a graphic rape fantasy because he doesn't want to drive 20 miles to hang out with her. 2 years later, you run into each other at commuter college and he's dressing like a Mormon Dave Matthews fan and majoring in international business. But hearing "Malibu" by Hole when your shopping for cold meds at K-Mart in a depressed mood still makes you come this close to breaking down, even over 5 years after this poo poo happened.

Yes, I'm Picking a scab.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
My wife (35) is often concerned about my (m35) appearance- is this normal?
u/anon102948p

quote:

I'm just wondering to what extent this is the norm. My wife of about 4 years now is always very concerned about how I dress etc.

I'm never scruffy but I do have a fairly relaxed attitude to my outward appearance. But my wife is always picking holes - the creases on my trousers aren't properly ironed, my shoes aren't polished enough, my shirt isn't absolutely crease free...

While I do understand that it's important not to look unkempt I don't believe that is the case and no one except my wife has ever commented on my appearance in a negative way.

I like that I don't get super stressed about the outward appearance but she's making me feel like I have to conform to her standard and this is making things stressful for me. She has got pretty angry in the past when I've gone out wearing shoes that she didn't consider up to scratch.

I've brought this up with her and she just gets annoyed. She thinks it's just her being a normal wife and I'm just being silly that it bothers me.

Am I just a scruff who should take their wife's advice or is she being a bit over the top?

tl;dr; wife nags me about my clothing - is this normal?

I mean, you're probably both exaggerating a little bit, specially if she holds herself to the same standards and...

quote:

I honestly don't think I'm dressing the way you describe. I'm definitely not a slob. She just seems to have impossibly fussy standards for me. She does not hold herself to these standards!

I think it comes from a place of anxiety, like if I'm not perfect things are somehow going to fall apart. She's not had a lot of stability in her life and she seems to fear that things could collapse. She is also very focused on how others see her, she wants people to think well of her to a huge degree where she gets upset if she perceives that someone doesn't like her. I guess she is projecting that on to me but struggles with that as she doesn't have full control there but still sees me as an extension of how she is perceived.

Huh. Should really have led with that buddy. You sure there's nothing below that causing the issues?

quote:

Yeah, suppose it just took me a while to think round to the actual issue.

She's not getting any help. And I don't know if she'd accept there was a problem.

Some examples:

When we moved in to our house she couldn't believe it. She's never had a stable home growing up - she kept half expecting the mortgage company to come and say they've made a mistake and cancel the loan etc

I had to take some time off work when I was unwell, she started worrying that my job would not be secure if I didn't get back quickly. ( far from the case - I have a very understanding employer)

She's just always worrying that things will collapse. I think growing up she moved around a lot, her mum would break up with her partner and just move of to a different town. The man who raised her as her own child for years broke up with her mother and never saw her again. Her biological father wanted nothing to do with her.

It's a tough tough background and this seems to be how it manifests itself. Anxiety about her own circumstances she can control, but when it's tied to me she struggles as she doesn't have control there.

You're right - this has taken a massive turn / sorry :(

There we go. Always Be reading the Comments, guys.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
" I do have a fairly relaxed attitude to my outward appearance." I love this!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

boner confessor posted:

STI's are huge among old people who go to retirement communities or nursing homes for this exact reason. they're like "can't get pregnant anymore, don't need a condom"

Also it's "Don't loving care, I'm old, life kind of sucks, I'll get my bang on and probably not die to an STI because old age poo poo will kill me first"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My childhood friend in 10 years and he planned a 'romantic' vacation for us and just told me he spent 3200 dollars and I want to back out.

quote:

Im 24f and he is 24m, we were childhood/young adult sweethearts until 15 when he moved back to Texas and I visited once and we have stayed in on and off phone contact over the years. We had this sweet perfect (really) young love, and because of the innocence of it, it was one of the happiest times of our lives. So over the last ten years, he's been consistent about reaching out to me, but I have been less sure about wanting to keep up this relationship and so I often would not answer the phone for weeks at a time. Eventually I would answer, we'd have a great talk and stay in constant contact for two weeks until I was distracted by my own life, miss a call, feel guilty, miss more and more calls and then drop off the face of the earth for 9 months. I've done this so many times I can't count, and for some reason he doesn't seem to mind. Finally I was set that I needed to cut ties, I couldn't keep this weird relationship up and it was obviously something he wanted a lot more than me. But two years ago, he was hired on by a military contracter and was headed to a very dangerous base in Iraq and so I stayed in good contact with him, knowing that I'm the most steady person in his life and if something happened, and I was too lazy and selfish to give support, I'd never forgive myself. So more back and forth with me fading in and out has happened over this last stretch of time, but I finally decided that to figure this out, I needed to see him. So I texted him at a bar a month ago, we talked for hours on text and phone and decided to set a plan in stone before he got deployed again. He makes really good money and I work 3 jobs and have to choose between dier car repairs and dental work. So he wanted to pay for the trip entirely, for me to not worry at all. I was set to go, a little hesitant, I haven't seen him in 10 years, I don't know what to expect: will we sleep with each other because of this need to play out the love story; what is he expecting from this; he isn't the only guy in my life, but does this mean I am commiting to his fantasy of us ending up together? So I messed up the dates of time off between all my jobs and texted him in a panic saying I didn't request off enough time and now have 4 shifts to somehow get covered. He responded that I could bail if I wanted, but it would be hosed up since he had just spent 3200 dollars on me. So now I have some clarity that I've been avoiding. He wants this so much more than I do. He has been in love with me since we were kids, and this I knew all along and it was that pressure which caused me to drop off communication. So out of a mixture of guilt for being flaky and a genuine love for my friend, I commited to seeing him. And now I am under a huge pressure of accepting a ridiculously extravagant gift which is throwing a lot of my commitments back home through a loop.. And I didn't ask for this.. But I never was strong enough to set my boundaries. I don't see how I can back out..but I am angry that he spent this money and I feel trapped into either playing out this fantasy with him or not being able to and destroying this friendship in an unmendable way.

Tl:dr reconnecting with a childhood sweetheart after 10 years, who spent 3200 dollars on a trip for us. I don't know how to approach the pressure of his expectations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MF_James posted:

Also it's "Don't loving care, I'm old, life kind of sucks, I'll get my bang on and probably not die to an STI because old age poo poo will kill me first"

nah, everyone who had a cool mindset like that dies before they get to this level of old age

this is entirely old folks who don't realize that they still have to be careful of STIs even with their 80 year old boyfriend

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fruit on the bottom posted:

My childhood friend in 10 years and he planned a 'romantic' vacation for us and just told me he spent 3200 dollars and I want to back out.

Genuinely curious whether he's aware they ever broke up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

boner confessor posted:

nah, everyone who had a cool mindset like that dies before they get to this level of old age

this is entirely old folks who don't realize that they still have to be careful of STIs even with their 80 year old boyfriend

Remember that for some of them it might be the first time they got an opportunity to take some risks. Imagine someone being married for 50 years, it was overall a good marriage but at various times they might think about what it was like to be single. Now their spouse is dead but they are living somewhere surrounded by other single people their own age and its like college all over again.

Society treats the elderly, especially elderly women as invisible and a asexual so there's likely little attention, condemnation, or pressure placed on seniors regarding their sex lives.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
My parents finally discovered that my bf is diabetic and strongly disagrees with our relationship.

quote:

I'm a 28f and my bf is a 29m. We have been together for 2 yrs and always happy. He's a successful designer and I'm doing my PhD. He's good-looking, hard-working, kind and lovely in personality, has a good social/economic status and really respects my family. In a word he appears to be a perfect man.

However apart from all his merits he's diabetic.

My parents are both doctors and they're super concerned about my future SO's health issues. Knowing this I've tried hard to hide my bf's health condition in front of them, such as avoiding to let them meet in person. However my parents really want to meet him this year because they feel it's time that we get engaged. Feeling that I couldn't hide any more, I brought him to my parents, and told my parents my bf's insulin is 'vitamin injections' - which of course turned out badly. My dad is now super disappointed and my mom says I'm silly and an awful daughter who'll make them worried even if I'm a grown-rear end woman. My bf knew something against him is on (they discussed him with me by texting so my bf didn't really know, but my bf has been concerned about why I sometimes look sad these days) in the family but he managed to keep his best manners.

My bf has always been super nice to me. He guided me through some of the darkest time of my life, and has always been there when I need support (I have depression and am sometimes suicidal). And as for how he's good-looking but diabetic - he inherited it from his own grandma. I am well aware that this type of diabetes is not curable and can only get worse as he enters middle age. I also know that getting married with a diabetic man will possibly result in diabetic kids. I have thought about it all when I decided to start dating him at the beginning. As a well-educated young woman with a bright future I'm able to care for them. Those are my own issue. However after I told these to my parents, they became even more disappointed and even started to question their own ability of being parents in front of me - saying things like I'm 'rotten', 'cheap', 'a mess' and all.

My parents admits that my bf is a good young man and all his merits - his good-looking, nice manner, lovely temper and good social/economic background all exist for real. However they still say that it'll hurt them so much if I continue my relationship with him. I'm unluckily an only child - according to my parents, they love me so much that they don't want any more kids after me. So I've got no siblings to help me out. You can also imagine the pressure that'll come from the rest of my family members.

I am ready to fight for him. I won't trade him for the world. But at the same time I still know that the position of my choice will severely damage the relationship between me and my parents. That also makes me feel awful - as an only child who really got all the love, support and attention from my family the moral burden behind my choice would hurt so much.

In case someone says that I shouldn't have hide his health condition at the beginning - I love my bf and I know my parents would say awful things and disapprove of our relationship after they know about it, no matter how honest I am.

A funny fact is my mom's not medically perfect herself - she has severe rheumatism for decades. It is my dad who did all the house chores, cared for her, constantly get rare and expensive medicines for her and even bought a flat in a sunnier warmer area with her (in somewhere that's even expensive for a doctor couple).

I really wanted to ask my mom what if my dad's family keep telling him to divorce her... does she think it is fair if she's in my bf's shoes?

But considering my bf is still here I really couldn't do things in such a confrontational way - I don't want him to see all the yellings and tears and even me getting suicidal again. At least everything about my family look normal to him now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

My parents finally discovered that my bf is diabetic and strongly disagrees with our relationship.

I get the feeling there's some cultural context to her being a highly educated only child with openly hurtful highly educated parents who are obsessing over an ultimately-unimportant imperfection.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Patrick Spens posted:

Ah yes, don't date someone because of their potentially "bad genes". Quality people right there. :godwin:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

People with dementia often get horny af too. Mate of mine worked in a dementia hospice and was constantly being molested by old ladies because he was young and handsome.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

There's no way he isn't going to feel entitled to sex.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
A lot of words for basically not having your soon to be husband’s back. And this is why you always control the budget.

My [30F] Fiancé [31M] refuses to invite my brother’s in-laws to our wedding, and I feel stuck.

quote:

u/asshole_in_laws
Throwaway for obvious reasons. Fiancé and I have been together for 4.5 years, just got engaged a couple months ago. So here is the backstory. My older brother has been married for 6 years to his wife. The problem is, everyone hates her family (and honestly, a lot of the time, people aren’t too crazy about her, either… she takes after her mother, to be explained). Her parents, particularly her mother, are narcissists. They are the kind of people who make everything about them. They get offended at the drop of a hat for imperceptible or imagined slights and then put you on a poo poo list. They are not nice people, they are not fun people, they are not kind people. They are the sort of people that are impossible to enjoy being around because you are constantly walking on eggshells. During my brother’s marriage process, my sister-in-law was such a bridezilla and her parents were such nightmares about everything that my parents were tempted to tell my brother to cut and run. When people in the community familiar with these people heard who my brother was marrying, they told my parents something to the effect of “good luck with that.” They are constantly passive-aggressive and criticize everything, even when it’s wildly inappropriate to do so. For example, the first time their family was invited over to my grandmother’s house for a holiday, all the Wife did was complain loudly about how my elderly grandparents (mid 80s) had not rearranged all of their furniture to allow everyone to sit in the same room at dinner (this was a holiday that my grandmother typically invited a large group to and their house and dining room are pretty small). Really? We’d been doing it that way for years and years, no one had ever complained, and instead of saying “thank you so much for having us in your home for the holiday!” like a normal person, it’s “well if it had been ME, I would have done it THIS way, I can’t believe they didn’t do this.” The Husband is a bit more low key but still pretty insufferable, and has done things such as criticize the way my parents parked in the street outside my brother’s house in a passive-aggressive manner because they had been about to park there or something (wtf?), and once started a casually racist conversation about how he believes that interracial marriage is wrong at my brother’s birthday dinner.

And that’s the “short” of it. Bottom line is, my fiancé doesn’t like these people, I don’t like these people, my parents don’t like these people. But I and my parents are of the mind that we are obligated to invite them to the wedding. My parents were invited to and did attend the wedding of my sister-in-law’s sister earlier this year. Also, my sister-in-law is expecting and will have the baby before our wedding. Like it or not, these people are my niece/nephew’s grandparents. My parents have to deal with this for the rest of their lives.

My fiancé, however, absolutely refuses to have them at our wedding. He said he’s “drawing a line in the sand on this one.” He can’t stand them, and he said he doesn’t trust them to be in the room because they’ll find some way to upstage us at our own wedding. Honestly, I don’t blame him. I feel the same way about these people. But I also cannot escape the feeling that I have an obligation to invite them, and I’m also convinced that if we do not invite them, my parents will forever be on their poo poo list. I don’t give a drat about being on their poo poo list, but if my parents end up on their poo poo list, I can envision things being pretty miserable for them. Because these people constantly make everything about them, my parents have already been B-listed when it comes to anything having to do with their soon-to-be grandchild, which really hurts my mom. If my parents end up on the poo poo list, I can see them telling my sister-in-law to not let my parents spend any time around their grandchild and poo poo like that, and to have my parents not be invited to things for the grandchild. And unfortunately my brother is either too oblivious or too nonconfrontational to do anything about it, or a mix of both. I’ve already told my mom about my fiancé’s stance, and she’s really upset, which made my fiancé more upset. I understand my fiancé’s position. He feels like my family does not care about his feelings in this and that they are “choosing” these people in favor of him. He does not want our wedding to turn into a “political event.” But I don't see a way out.

I just don’t know how to address this. My parents are willing to pay for our wedding and we’ve done some very preliminary and tentative planning (nothing is set in stone yet though) but there’s no universe in which they pay for our wedding wherein these people are not invited. Even if we pay for our own in-town wedding so that we can completely control the invite list, my parents will still absolutely be on a poo poo list if these people do not get invited. I feel like the only possible solutions aside from convincing my fiance that these people need to be invited would be to either (a) elope by ourselves, which I’m sure MY parents would be horribly offended and upset by, or (b) completely change our plans to have a tiny, out-of-town wedding that we completely pay for ourselves so we can keep the invite list extremely small and leave these people out with the plausible excuse that we could not ourselves afford to have a larger wedding and invite more people (our finances to do this would, in reality, be fairly limited). Even then, my parents will still probably end up on a poo poo list one way or another.

I hate this. I find it very upsetting that I’m having to go through this because those people are such assholes. If they were nice, normal people, this would be a non-issue. I just have no idea what to do and I hate feeling like I’m being held hostage to assholes.

I’d greatly appreciate anyone’s thoughts or advice on the matter. What should I do? Is it inappropriate of me to try to convince my fiancé that they need to be invited? Am I being unreasonable?

TL;DR: My fiancé refuses to invite my brother's rear end in a top hat in-laws to our wedding, while I feel obligated to do so because like it or not they're my "family" and my parents will likely suffer if we don't. How do I address this?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

What in the fuuuuuck?
I lost my dad a few years ago due to complications from type 1 diabetes, but I'll be goddamned if I would've traded that in for anything else. :murder: your parents.

e: Like, if I put myself in the shoes of the parents, I can theorize why they're being unfeeling cunts: life expectancy for men with type 1 diabetes is something like a decade shorter. But come on, that is in no way a reason to discard someone who - from their daughter's description - is a good, loving partner.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 3, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Patrick Spens posted:

This is one of the best uses of spoiler tags in this thread.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I want to know what culture they are from.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is one of the best uses of spoiler tags in this thread.

Yeah, before the second paragraph I assumed the spoiler was bisexual.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dienes posted:

There's no way he isn't going to feel entitled to sex.

There's no way he's not expecting it, if he gets all lovely when she turns him down then he turns into the shitbird that felt entitled to it.

Granted best case he's going to be bummed about it, maybe she should...oh I dunno...talk to the guy about the trip? Set some expectations/boundaries?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
OTOH I feel like she shoulders some of the blame for this situation, but I don't know how much of my reaction is based on her formatting.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Panfilo posted:

My money's on Asian. I'll eat the Racist Points.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Milotic posted:

A lot of words for basically not having your soon to be husband’s back. And this is why you always control the budget.

My [30F] Fiancé [31M] refuses to invite my brother’s in-laws to our wedding, and I feel stuck.

Fiance is right and everyone else involved is a spineless wimp

Edit: I touched the poop cause I just can't allow that level of spinlessness to continue

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 3, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I have 0 pity for this lady

just loving dump him you idiot

you knew he was hung up on you and you can paint your self interest as saintly martyrdom all you want, but the reality of this situation is that you strung a dude along for two years because you didn't want to have an awkward conversation with him and when he started planning an expensive trip you went along with it way past the point of reason (probably because you wanted a free trip)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Patrick Spens posted:

How enormous is this dude if simply being in visual contact would be enough for the parents to know he's diabetic?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sentient Data posted:

How enormous is this dude if simply being in visual contact would be enough for the parents to know he's diabetic?

he could be normal sized but with swollen limbs and open sores on his legs :shrug:

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Sentient Data posted:

It was likely the "vitamin injections"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah, before the second paragraph I assumed the spoiler was bisexual.

would've put money on 'transgender'

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I Was The Fury posted:

...man, I wonder if the parents saw him injecting insulin and she told them they were vitamins, and they actually think he's a heroin addict rather than a diabetic

it wouldn't be the first time a redditor's lack of basic communication skills caused an extremely bad misunderstanding

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I Was The Fury posted:

yeah type 1 diabetics are pretty easy to spot since they're either cyborgs with a pager-sized external device + tubing, or need to shoot up around every meal

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Panfilo posted:

TheScott2K posted:

My money's on Asian. I'll eat the Racist Points.
Good news!

quote:

[–]ScooterMcGooder [score hidden] an hour ago
It's possible they are from a culture that stigmatizes disability and illness, or a country where diabetes isn't as treatable as it is in the industrialized world. That said, their reaction isn't right and it's a lovely attitude to have about their patients, but it does explain the extreme reaction.

[–]Missagony1234 [S] [score hidden] an hour ago
The first assumption is right - mom from east Asia although we're in a developed country (sorry for not saying where). Dad loves mom so he listens to mom about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My racism is validated! I shall continue to assume things about people based on their ethnicity.