Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Having played a fair amount of 7th Sea at this point, is your problem that the most fantastically elite swordfighters are fantastically elite? The system is WAY more narrative than 1st edition. The game got way better for us when our party stopped moving around as a traditional murderhobo pack and started getting into fights in ones and two. The pressure rules from the Khitai quick start were another huge improvement.

I prefer a more crunchy rule set myself if I want to play violent murders simulator with my friends. The books have been fantastic from a non mechanical standpoint, so even if this kickstarter doesn't reach the abused value of the first one it will still be a Must Back for me.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do any goons have experience with the 7th Continent? Is it as good as BGG and the like make it out to be? I'm on the fence for backing the reprint/2nd edition on kickstarter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

NTRabbit posted:

Further confirmation that RPGs are in fact the worst

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Having played a fair amount of 7th Sea at this point, is your problem that the most fantastically elite swordfighters are fantastically elite? The system is WAY more narrative than 1st edition. The game got way better for us when our party stopped moving around as a traditional murderhobo pack and started getting into fights in ones and two. The pressure rules from the Khitai quick start were another huge improvement.

I prefer a more crunchy rule set myself if I want to play violent murders simulator with my friends. The books have been fantastic from a non mechanical standpoint, so even if this kickstarter doesn't reach the abused value of the first one it will still be a Must Back for me.

No, the problem is that the fantastically elite swordfighters are several orders of magnitude better, and their maneuver system is rock-paper-scissors bullshit that rewards rolling more raises then lunging at will because it cannot be prevented or avoided. Given that the game uses somewhat of a death spiral, the swordsman that goes first effectively wins in most combats, and if your party's swordsmen lose to the villain, the rest of the party might as well just surrender because combat is hopeless.

I see what they were going for, but as published it's crap.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 4, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It was definitely something that definitely took some getting used to, for sure. The big thing I like is that being a member of a swordsman school does a ton to protect your niche in the story. There is an advantage where you can take a few of the sword powers so a middle ground between kill Master and helpless child is possible.

Using the same simple mechanics to run the combat engine that every other system used for resolution is obviously pretty streamlined. But I think it changes the focus of the game to big heroic action to the detailed minutia of beat by beat sword duels. Which is a huge change from 1st Edition, do I understand being disappointed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm not disappointed in the change in focus, I'm disappointed that the change in focus is being used as an excuse for publishing blatantly unfinished rules and making fixing them the GM's problem.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I don't know, as long as they're still carrying on with their policy of employing writers from those cultural back...

I know it was over a year ago now, but contributing to stuff Mark Diaz Truman is working on still makes me uncomfortable

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not disappointed in the change in focus, I'm disappointed that the change in focus is being used as an excuse for publishing blatantly unfinished rules and making fixing them the GM's problem.

This is certainly a fair point, but it is still hard to argue that this Kickstarter isn't a good value even just for the setting. The fact that the 45 dollar level also contains all the 7th Sea 2nd Books you would want makes it worthwhile for anyone that wants a cool swashbuckling world regardless of mechanics being included at all.

I can't imagine that this Kickstarter will have half the success of the previous one but it is still a lot of high production value reads for a good price.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is certainly a fair point, but it is still hard to argue that this Kickstarter isn't a good value even just for the setting. The fact that the 45 dollar level also contains all the 7th Sea 2nd Books you would want makes it worthwhile for anyone that wants a cool swashbuckling world regardless of mechanics being included at all.

I can't imagine that this Kickstarter will have half the success of the previous one but it is still a lot of high production value reads for a good price.

It's hard to hear you defend its mechanics, when even Mr. Shadowrun-is-only-partially-broken cannot tolerate it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know it was over a year ago now, but contributing to stuff Mark Diaz Truman is working on still makes me uncomfortable

I have no idea who that is, why would it make someone uncomfortable? A past project?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I have no idea who that is, why would it make someone uncomfortable? A past project?

He wrote a big blog post throwing a friend under the bus because said friend lashed out a Zak S under the guise of "we need to be accepting of other people".

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Long story short he and his company are kind of wishy-washy on online harrassment. The previous hashing out of this issue starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541519&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=180#post462530911 and goes on for about five or six more pages.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

Do any goons have experience with the 7th Continent? Is it as good as BGG and the like make it out to be? I'm on the fence for backing the reprint/2nd edition on kickstarter.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687728&pagenumber=1602&perpage=40#post476772802

Here's a helpful post someone made for me when I asked the same thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

jadarx posted:

He wrote a big blog post throwing a friend under the bus because said friend lashed out a Zak S under the guise of "we need to be accepting of other people".

It was a tone argument. Apparently telling someone to gently caress off in strong terms makes you just as bad, and somehow enables a toxic atmosphere despite all toxicity originating and being perpetuated by one source.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The AMP: Year Four kickstarter went up. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eloylasanta/amp-year-four-the-year-of-the-invasion-tabletop-rp/description

Does anyone have a breakdown or review of the game? I know it's superheroes but it's by the same studio as Ninja Crusade so it got my interest.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I have year one and am not a fan. It's very 90s white wolf. The background is ok except you have this metaplot and gm secrets hanging over your shoulder. Mutants instinctively fight when they meet like first edition Requiem. The basic system is add two skills then roll a d20 vs Target number which is basically fine. The powers are overly fiddly and complicated to what I would want, but they aren't badly designed. It's not a bad game, but I would never run it.

Edit: I just checked the table of contents, the power section is 89 pages long of different people trees, abilities, modifications etc. I'll leave it up to you in whether that's a selling point.

neaden fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 4, 2017

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was a tone argument. Apparently telling someone to gently caress off in strong terms makes you just as bad, and somehow enables a toxic atmosphere despite all toxicity originating and being perpetuated by one source.

Yeah. There was no excuse for it and the apology was just as bad.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The AMP: Year Four kickstarter went up. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eloylasanta/amp-year-four-the-year-of-the-invasion-tabletop-rp/description

Does anyone have a breakdown or review of the game? I know it's superheroes but it's by the same studio as Ninja Crusade so it got my interest.

I F&Fed it a while back -- it's pretty bad. Ninja Crusade is a way better game.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It seemed like it was middling to bad, especially with the systems it's using. I assumed because it's the same studio it would be similar but it's not really. I'm guessing Third Eye is a very diverse studio.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm on the fence about Tiny Dungeon. Has anyone else gone in on this?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Anyone have opinions on Cerebria, either the card or the board game?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Zurui posted:

I'm on the fence about Tiny Dungeon. Has anyone else gone in on this?

I did. For 13 bucks you get both Tiny Dungeons 2e and a revised version of the space game, Tiny Frontiers, plus a buttload of extra settings. It's a fun little ruleset and they seem to run a tight ship, Kickstarter-wise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Regarding adversarial GMing, I like (although haven't had a chance to test yet) Modiphius' 2D20 system in the Conan RPG. The GM works from a Doom pool, to which the PCs can contribute tokens as part of a spend to adjust their chances on dice or otherwise do things they can't easily or normally do, and the GM's adversarial Complications require Doom spends. The result is that the PCs directly interact with the GM's adversarial options, can see how much power the GM has accumulated to gently caress with them, and have direct ways of managing that power. The GM still has a traditional role of referee, of course, and the game does not present the GM's role as being purely adversarial. But the mechanization of the challenge aspects of the game make expectations explicit.

Contrast to wishy-washy or implied or vaguely suggested adversarial approaches where individual GMs are going to wildly vary in how much they do to counter or control the PCs, introduce complications to screw with them, etc.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Agent Rush posted:

Anyone have opinions on Cerebria, either the card or the board game?

The odds of it being bad or not delivering are nearly non-existent given Mindclash's track record (Trickerion, Anachrony). I have no idea how good it'll be though.

If it's like Trickerion or Anachrony it (the board game at least) will be a mid-heavy weight game - that seems to be the niche that Mindclash likes to fill.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The people behind Herbaceous are putting out this rather beautiful game about painting, Sunset Over Water

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I kinda feel bad for the people running Empyrea.

It's very clear they think the Kicktraq chart is an accurate representation of where they will end up. This gem was in the Comments from the guy running the social media.

quote:

Dicemad: We’re going to have thousands of backers at the $75 level and adequately including that many character ideas to Empyrea Box Set #1 would be a really intense logistical challenge that’d take the team’s focus away from design. You can upgrade your pledge to the $200 level and get your fief though!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...wait, they think Kicktraq is an accurate and predictive algorithm?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

...wait, they think Kicktraq is an accurate and predictive algorithm?
Weeeellll.... I haven't seen it specifically referenced, but they and many of the commenters are acting like this is a sure thing and already a runaway success. Several seemed to think "20% on the first day!" was actually good news. I think they will be very lucky to end up at 50%.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it is a predictive algorithm, just...not in the way Metzger thinks it is.

It's a sad statement on how out of touch this project is that they don't seem to know about the "first three days/last two days" thing that everyone else figured out ages ago.

e: Jesus, that drop-off...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, yes, but it's also completely useless as a predictor in the early days of a campaign because, yes, that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
[quote="“dwarf74”" post="“477119502”"]
I kinda feel bad for the people running Empyrea.

It’s very clear they think the Kicktraq chart is an accurate representation of where they will end up. This gem was in the Comments from the guy running the social media.
[/quote]

But if you have any experience with kicktraq their chart is dire looking. 50000 first day 2500 first week tails for a 200k project. There's pretty much a 0% chance of success unless they can sell this somewhere (and where will they go, if not dragonsfoot?)

E: The dropoff is immediate second day too.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 6, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

There's pretty much a 0% chance of success unless they can sell this somewhere (and where will they go, if not dragonsfoot?)
And you hit the nail on the head, there: there's really nobody to sell this to. By their own admission it's the genericest of generic fantasy, and I can't imagine there's a significant amount of people out there who would want a completely featureless setting. As it is it seems the main selling point is "it's by Mentzer" and nothing else.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Kicktrak just needs to not do any projections until like 1/4th or something through the project date. That's about when things seem to normalize to avoid the spike effect of the first few days.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bedlam Hall arrived yesterday and the first read-through suggests that, despite its PbtA roots, it is actually a worthy modern successor to Paranoia.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

thelazyblank posted:

Kicktrak just needs to not do any projections until like 1/4th or something through the project date. That's about when things seem to normalize to avoid the spike effect of the first few days.

If someone is getting their hype on thanks to a high average-per-day after only a few days, when the graph showing the drop-off is right there, I'm not sure obscuring one bit of simple math or putting in a warning lable is going to dent that irrational exuberance.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

But if you have any experience with kicktraq their chart is dire looking. 50000 first day 2500 first week tails for a 200k project. There's pretty much a 0% chance of success unless they can sell this somewhere (and where will they go, if not dragonsfoot?)

E: The dropoff is immediate second day too.
0 updates is another warning sign, but their community guy seems to be really active in the comments at least?

I'm no pro, but I'd recommend killing this one now, retooling the pitch to sell the product instead of the people, fixing the graphic design, giving time for the DF drama to subside, and come back with maybe a $50k or $100k goal with value-add stretch goals in a few months. (I think they'd be over the line already with a $100k goal, or at least close to it. Getting close to or over a goal is another good way of building engagement.)

I don't think any of this will happen, though, because Frank seems like more of an egotist than I honestly would have expected.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bedlam hall is a great game but it's completely messed up that other people can use moves to decrease your XP, and you need to reach +4 to actually level up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Bedlam hall is a great game but it's completely messed up that other people can use moves to decrease your XP, and you need to reach +4 to actually level up.
I inferred that people weren't going to be leveling up very often -- doing so makes you vulnerable again to dismissal. If losing Prestige doesn't end your character, Trauma probably will.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Kai Tave posted:

This doesn't seem to be getting nearly enough attention, y'all need to read this PM because it's fuckin hilarious. "You bumbling Zero-level clod. Int 7 (barely enough to babble) and Wis 1." Satire really is dead.

My 100% favourite part is Venger Satanis right there in the comments nodding his head and going "hhhmmm, same".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Antivehicular posted:

All because he was named... EotB? I feel like I'm missing something here.

I just saw this. EotB is like, a 1e purist or something and feels Mentzer ruined D&D. At least that's the sense I got from skimming the Foot

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 7, 2017