Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Zest posted:

I miss Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander. And I'm still pissed at Uber for loving up Planetary Annihilation. Hell, noone's really even managed to catch up to SupCom's dual display mode.

Posting from the past here, but sup com is alive and well in the form of Forged Alliance Forever, a community authoritarian-driven lobby and mod/map vault service.

Feel free to join the definitive sup com experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bootcha posted:

Derek, I know you and love you, but I'm doing this as a favor to you.

didn't you see the news? This whole crusade against star citizen was a false alarm

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The NMS meltdown was incredible, but SC is doing what NMS should have done and release in early access. It breaks the gamer brain and makes it impossible for them to be critical.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bofast posted:

Only an idiot would keep giving money to Croberts after 3.0 was delayed by two months.
Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would keep giving money to Croberts after nearly 12 months.

Quoted for posterity.

Although I fall into the 'bastard son of an idiot" category, as I still have my toe in the Star Citizen cesspool.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

To riff on the analogy from a few pages back, Guitar Citizen would be a Rock Band clone with:

- no guitar peripherals produced yet so you have to air guitar in front of your TV (or play with a standard controller)
- you can preorder the fancy plastic guitars, keyboards, drums and mics for as much as $15k apiece to "donate" to the project and "push the boundaries" of video games development
- the only song currently available ingame is a high fidelity version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I
- unfortunately only the first minute is available to play for now, the remaining 2:30 will be available in 2 weeks.
- actually many more songs are coming, they will be procedurally generated. 2 weeks.
- super high fidelity graphics
- fantastic body awareness (mocapped on Slash, Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai)
- runs at 12 fps, crashes frequently
- the game is currently split in 4 separate modules, one for each instrument.
- multiplayer across modules is not possible.
- new facetech allows you to mimic weird facial expressions (you still cannot see your character onscreen unfortunately)
- your character might become fatigued and unable to play if you forget to : eat, sleep, drink
- you might catch STDs from sleeping with groupies which you can seduce through a dating minigame in between songs. You will be given a percentage of satisfaction after sex depending on your performance. There has been no news of this feature for the past 3 years but it's absolutely coming. Oh and you may or may not be able to cure said STDs by going to a doctor. Doctors will be other players and not NPCs.
- Your instruments might be stolen by other players backstage. You will have to pay for them again. They will be super expensive.
- If your band is not successful enough for you to afford new instruments you will be able to work at the bar and serve drinks, or mop the floor to make some cash.

poo poo I could keep this going for pages :v:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Mangoose posted:

Haha, my five year old son loves it too. I had to google otters for him, we spent like 30 minutes looking at pictures. He now wants one for christmas.

Have you showed him this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavh47RpLz4 ? :3:

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
It seems that in the past couple weeks the thread has turned into something that more and more resembles an outlet to mock Warlord Derek rather than SC, especially after Incident 45.

1/5.

Never forget.

Will stick to discord for awhile.

Nellistos fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 4, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Percelus posted:

blocking/ignoring someone that isn't spamming gold selling ads is basically admitting defeat imo

I used to think like that but now I think it's fine if you find them really boring. I fast forward through adverts too, when the thread is bad it makes catching up easier too.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sandweed posted:

The NMS meltdown was incredible, but SC is doing what NMS should have done and release in early access. It breaks the gamer brain and makes it impossible for them to be critical.

It's more than just early access. CIG :justpost:. It's the one area CIG has actually been innovative. It doesn't matter how little they have they put out an hour plus of prattling and waffling on youtube per week. Which when you look at other early access titles that go limited or no communication between updates their community just tunes out or turns actively hostile. The message is clear gamers want constant bullshit and it pays to give it to them. Even at the expense of actual game development devs should constantly bullshit if they want money to keep flowing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

kilus aof posted:

So CIG removed the Completionist package from public viewing. I guess they didn't like it when people could link the $15,000 USD DLC for an unreleased game as an example of Star Citizen being a scam/scum. But don't worry space whales, Concierge level backers can still buy them.

If they've remove all the $2500+ packages, that means for the first time you can't buy an Idris anymore.

Maybe they figured out they can't get the Idris working in the "game" and it would be really bad to keep selling it after that point.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kilus aof posted:

It's more than just early access. CIG :justpost:. It's the one area CIG has actually been innovative. It doesn't matter how little they have they put out an hour plus of prattling and waffling on youtube per week. Which when you look at other early access titles that go limited or no communication between updates their community just tunes out or turns actively hostile. The message is clear gamers want constant bullshit and it pays to give it to them. Even at the expense of actual game development devs should constantly bullshit if they want money to keep flowing.

Yeah, a lot of people probably feel as though they are being kept in the loop as long as the developer says anything, especially as they are often (and understandably) too ignorant of development to accurately judge whether the info they receive makes sense or not.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

AP posted:

If they've remove all the $2500+ packages, that means for the first time you can't buy an Idris anymore.

Maybe they figured out they can't get the Idris working in the "game" and it would be really bad to keep selling it after that point.

Or maybe they're close to release and don't need the pledges anymore. Checkmate goonies :smuggo:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

AP posted:

Or maybe Chris forgot to buy LTI on the Idris' they blew up at Gamescom. They can't afford to replace it and they are grinding up in game cash, because the AI won't take orders on spec.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AP posted:

Maybe 3.0 is in an even worse state than we thought, so bad that their dwindling army battalion company platoon of sycophants won't be enough drown out the negative press it's going to attract.

Maybe this is a desperate attempt to assuage the "these chumps are charging $15,000 for a game they've no intention of releasing" headlines that are incoming.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Maybe 3.0 is in an even worse state than we thought, so bad that their dwindling army battalion company platoon of sycophants won't be enough drown out the negative press it's going to attract.

Maybe this is a desperate attempt to assuage the "these chumps are charging $15,000 for a game they've no intention of releasing" headlines that are incoming.

I'm not sure. That seems like unusually good planning for being CIG.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Slow_Moe posted:

Or maybe they're close to release and don't need the pledges anymore. Checkmate goonies :smuggo:

this is canon now

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Ramadu posted:

this is canon now

awww jeez, I really hosed up. I should have said I was dating a supermodel while I was at it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Maybe.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

drat

Thread on reddit with the title "In game Scams"
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/742444/in_game_scams/

When will the awakening happen? At the Episode VIII premiere maybe?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Slow_Moe posted:

awww jeez, I really hosed up. I should have said I was dating a supermodel while I was at it.

*a finger curls down on the monkeys paw* congratulations you're now dating sandi gardiner the worlds greatest marketer since she was a little girl!

*shakes head* now you're even more entwined in star citizen. Bad break man

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nellistos posted:

It seems that in the past couple weeks the thread has turned into something that more and more resembles an outlet to mock Warlord Derek rather than SC, especially after Incident 45.

1/5.

Never forget.

Will stick to discord for awhile.

Kindly gently caress off, goonie!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tokamak posted:

NOTACULT

Reminds of that nutball citizen that posted a picture of his notebook so he could test and record the results of the PTU and report it to CIG. That was pathetic.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Ramadu posted:

*a finger curls down on the monkeys paw* congratulations you're now dating sandi gardiner the worlds greatest marketer since she was a little girl!

*shakes head* now you're even more entwined in star citizen. Bad break man

No. NONONOnonononon. undo undo ctrl+z ctrl+z ctrl+shift+esc aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:stonk:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Those drat doors.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Slow_Moe posted:

No. NONONOnonononon. undo undo ctrl+z ctrl+z ctrl+shift+esc aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:stonk:

Derek was right all along. Shoulda read the manual

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bofast posted:

Yeah, a lot of people probably feel as though they are being kept in the loop as long as the developer says anything, especially as they are often (and understandably) too ignorant of development to accurately judge whether the info they receive makes sense or not.

The other thing that's pretty brilliant about CIG's media campaign is that the signal to noise ratio is so incredibly low it makes it (nearly) impossible to verify anything you think you remember seeing or hearing from two years ago. I'd imagine most backers feel like they have a pretty good handle on knowing what's going on but couldn't tell you specifics about the game due to information overload.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Those drat doors.

Of course that door wasn't a blocker. I mean, have you seen how you can just wiggle your way through them?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

The other thing that's pretty brilliant about CIG's media campaign is that the signal to noise ratio is so incredibly low it makes it (nearly) impossible to verify anything you think you remember seeing or hearing from two years ago. I'd imagine most backers feel like they have a pretty good handle on knowing what's going on but couldn't tell you specifics about the game due to information overload.

They can't, that's why Gremlich or someone else quoted by Mirificus literally complained that "Goons ask questions demanding specific answers". Like, no poo poo someone would ask pointed questions, and the only reason they decline to answer them is because they know they: Can't answer it or the answer is poo poo and makes Star Citizen look bad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen's economy is going to be amazing and not player-driven but based off of individual price listings throughout the 100-star-system galaxy!

"Ok, but what happens if a glitch happens and prices collapse to one one-hundredth of their original listing"

:reddit: "That will never happen because Chris is a coding genius"

"Ok, so what happens if Goons flood the commodities market and causes an economic crash"

:reddit: "Goons can't do that because CIG is watching you!"

:reddit: "Oh and the economic model is so stable nobody could crash it ever, best and brightest at/with CIG!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And gently caress having just 9 million individual, independent, and intelligent AI that have their own lives at all times, etc, etc.

What about corporations and government groups or coalitions? Will certain trade items be heavily guarded or only available to purchase from non-human entities? Will you be able to embargo anyone? Will you be able manufacture special alloys, metals, or other items with goods acquired (il)legally? Can you tip off the popo to have the UEE shut down your illegal melt op?

Actually, speaking of, what happens if you take out your ship, get killed, have your ship stolen, and the guy who stole your ship melts it, and you have LTI on the ship?

Does the ship remain yours but you get a new copy? Who pays the thief the melt cost? Does this come out of the economy itself? How many space bucks are printed each year to counter-act inflation on goods and services?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:reddit: *puts fingers and ears, screaming LA-LA-LA over and over again while smashing his face into his monitor*

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It makes me wonder, if you could get someone like Relay to do some kind of poll comparing how confident backers feel about what they know versus what they actually know I bet the results would be loving shocking. Hell, I've been following this game like an obsessive weirdo since kickstarter and honestly even I don't feel like I have a good handle on what's real and what isn't real sometimes. The real question is - is this overflow of information a purposeful attempt to keep backers in the dark or is it simply that Chris legitimately thinks that "open development" means having a reality tv show?

I'm of the opinion that it must be the second one. I still don't buy the notion that this is or has become an intentional scam. I know that's fairly academic - a scam is a scam, regardless of what you think the scammer is thinking - but I still can't help but see Crobbler as completely inept and in so far over his head that all he can do is flail his arms and pray to god the authorities accept "I'm really sorry, I didn't know it was wrong!" as an excuse when they finally come knocking. I think that what we're seeing with all of their shows and streams and liveshows is Chris aping what he thinks development should look like. Almost everything they put out reminds me of a lower quality version of those "behind the scenes" dev videos that come out after the game, cut and chopped and spliced to highlight the fact that the devs are badass rockstars coming up with creative solutions to things. I've never seen any of them put out a devlog that looks like anything you'd see on your basic Early Access game.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 4, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

It makes me wonder, if you could get someone like Relay to do some kind of poll comparing how confident backers feel about what they know versus what they actually know I bet the results would be loving shocking. Hell, I've been following this game like an obsessive weirdo since kickstarter and honestly even I don't feel like I have a good handle on what's real and what isn't real sometimes. The real question is - is this overflow of information a purposeful attempt to keep backers in the dark or is it simply that Chris legitimately thinks that "open development" means having a reality tv show?

I'm of the opinion that it must be the second one. I still don't buy the notion that this is or has become an intentional scam. I know that's fairly academic - a scam is a scam, regardless of what you think the scammer is thinking - but I still can't help but see Crobbler as completely inept and in so far over his head that all he can do is flail his arms and pray to god the authorities accept "I'm really sorry, I didn't know it was wrong!" as an excuse when they finally come knocking. I think that what we're seeing with all of their shows and streams and liveshows is Chris aping what he thinks development should look like. Almost everything they put out reminds me of a lower quality version of those "behind the scenes" dev videos that come out after the game, cut and chopped and spliced to highlight the fact that the devs are badass rockstars coming up with creative solutions to things. I've never seen any of them put out a devlog that looks like anything you'd see on your basic Early Access game.

Absolutely yes. Nobody pushes that much content unless they want to flood their "market" with hours of white noise that you have to sift through to find the actual content. Lots of redditors have posted about X function is TOTALLY IN THE GAME GUYS! Just watch episode 238 of Around the Verse and its somewhere in there, I think, yeah, totally!

Then they've got the constant reinventing of the wheel of terms and buzzwords that good companies try to minimize or avoid entirely. poo poo, just look at all the idiots touting CIGs impressive NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN tech! Its all bullshit.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And gently caress having just 9 million individual, independent, and intelligent AI that have their own lives at all times, etc, etc.

What about corporations and government groups or coalitions? Will certain trade items be heavily guarded or only available to purchase from non-human entities? Will you be able to embargo anyone? Will you be able manufacture special alloys, metals, or other items with goods acquired (il)legally? Can you tip off the popo to have the UEE shut down your illegal melt op?

Actually, speaking of, what happens if you take out your ship, get killed, have your ship stolen, and the guy who stole your ship melts it, and you have LTI on the ship?

Does the ship remain yours but you get a new copy? Who pays the thief the melt cost? Does this come out of the economy itself? How many space bucks are printed each year to counter-act inflation on goods and services?

Uh, thanks to subsumption these scenarios will all play out like they would in real life. If you can't imagine them in real life, well maybe find a less fidelitous game.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

How much actual "development" are you actually privy to by watching those many many many youtube videos? Not much.

What it does is keep the hype train rolling. It's marketing, pure and simple. And it makes up for quality by flooding the tubes with quantity.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No, you see, its because Amazon hasnt the roster depth as CIG who just so happen to be stumped regarding their network issues for the last every year theyve been in development. And then theres all the tech theyve worked on and subsequently scrapped, like grabby hands and the soon-to-be-dead FOIP. And im sure that Amazon can rely on CIG for in-depth analysis and design documents the likes of which we havent seen in years and that are largely irrelevant now.

Truly, Amazon owes much to CIG. The only reason we never hear about all this is because CIG is humble and wants AMAZON to claim all the glory for themselves. CIG, and by extension Chris himself, is satisfied with a firm handshake and a special thanks at the bottom of the credit roll.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen's economy is going to be amazing and not player-driven but based off of individual price listings throughout the 100-star-system galaxy!

"Ok, but what happens if a glitch happens and prices collapse to one one-hundredth of their original listing"

:reddit: "That will never happen because Chris is a coding genius"

"Ok, so what happens if Goons flood the commodities market and causes an economic crash"

:reddit: "Goons can't do that because CIG is watching you!"

:reddit: "Oh and the economic model is so stable nobody could crash it ever, best and brightest at/with CIG!"

:five::five::five::five::five:

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

The dopiest adorapaws expression ever. :3:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

So the players will never any meaningful impact on the game world is what you are saying.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sandweed posted:

So the players will never any meaningful impact on the game world is what you are saying.

Players will only represent 10% of the population of the "universe" with the other 90% being fully simulated AI entities going around their daily lives, because Chris is trying to make WoW and not Planetside, so why wouldn't the universe remain completely static at all times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Can Miles Eckhart have a bad day?