Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kylej posted:

Saw while grocery shopping. Thought it was cool.

Correct!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kylej posted:

Saw while grocery shopping. Thought it was cool.

TBH any old well restored car is waaaaaay cooler than any new "exotica" hypercar

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

TBH any old well restored car is waaaaaay cooler than any new "exotica" hypercar

This forever.

I am way more intrigued by something old and mundane that has been kept up/restored. Keeping something ordinary alive (and not just perma-parked in a garage) for half a century or more takes a huge level of commitment, sometimes verging on insanity. Anything that is old and in good shape you know someone cares a lot about, and that makes it interesting to me regardless of what it is.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

He lies, I've posted mint Honda Concertos before on the facebook group and he poo-pooed them :nexus:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guinness posted:

This forever.

I think it's great when someone has the means to have a shitload of hypercars, but diversity is good.

Do you need 4 Paganis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI_j0SYkXLQ&t=30s
There's so much more AI out there to be had!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Guinness posted:

This forever.

I am way more intrigued by something old and mundane that has been kept up/restored. Keeping something ordinary alive (and not just perma-parked in a garage) for half a century or more takes a huge level of commitment, sometimes verging on insanity. Anything that is old and in good shape you know someone cares a lot about, and that makes it interesting to me regardless of what it is.

I'm gonna hang onto my ZX2 until the day I die, because someday in like 20-30 years it's gonna flip around again to weird and quirky like driving a Gremlin today

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

https://youtu.be/FGuUAXx9TOw

Cleetus may be annoying but the idea is awesome. Speaking of where's the best place to look for salvage Corvettes?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Coredump posted:

where's the best place to look for salvage Corvettes?

San Francisco.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Dagen H posted:

San Francisco.

I hear the PO left some bacon in the car?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX-zF3k5pn0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tUFudvVJpc&t=948s

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

the entire tandem format is loving wild

idk if its been posted here but that dude Chris Forsberg has an Infiniti drift sedan (M35 iirc?) which has always been something i wanted to see happen irl and not just in some videogame like Forza

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5rixKSkMQ8

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

And yet I see people daily who struggle driving forwards.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I'll take "thing I'll never be able to do well" for $1,000, Alex.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Alright, now do this one:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I usually feel like I did a good job if I can get out of my driveway without clipping the lawn.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp21EJpMtZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_vbZlUjr8&t=205s

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 4, 2017

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

smax posted:

I'll take "thing I'll never be able to do well" for $1,000, Alex.

Backing isn't really that difficult once you train your brain to realize that every input you're giving the steering wheel the trailer is doing the opposite.

Driving one of those things on the road would terrify me but I was trained to do yard switches and they're really not that tough.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shrapnig posted:

Backing isn't really that difficult once you train your brain to realize that every input you're giving the steering wheel the trailer is doing the opposite.

Driving one of those things on the road would terrify me but I was trained to do yard switches and they're really not that tough.

Same, I used to work in a shop that handled trailers and when I started I'd always ask one of the old guys to do it, but eventually you feel bad about holding everyone up and you start practicing and after a few months of doing it many times a day every day you get it down. I never drove them on roads more than like the 1000 foot stretch outside of the shop to road test them so I still have no confidence whatsoever driving them forwards.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shrapnig posted:

You think of the entire car/tractor as if it was the front wheel. That seems to work for me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You hold the bottom of the steering wheel, and the direction you push the wheel is the direction the trailer goes.

Try it sometime. It's magic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

You hold the bottom of the steering wheel, and the direction you push the wheel is the direction the trailer goes.

Try it sometime. It's magic.

No, you train your brain to drive the trailer, the truck will follow.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Awesome if you enjoy being pulled over by the police a lot, I suppose.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Two tries, 7/10.

craig588 posted:

Same, I used to work in a shop that handled trailers and when I started I'd always ask one of the old guys to do it, but eventually you feel bad about holding everyone up and you start practicing and after a few months of doing it many times a day every day you get it down. I never drove them on roads more than like the 1000 foot stretch outside of the shop to road test them so I still have no confidence whatsoever driving them forwards.

My brother does runs a warehouse and says the same. Also, he says that the longer trailers are easier to back around.

Powershift posted:

No, you train your brain to drive the trailer, the truck will follow.

I'm trying! I feel like it's a victory when I only snake across two lanes of the boat ramp when I'm launching my boat. I say launching because I'm a shitshow with an empty trailer.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

monsterzero posted:

. Also, he says that the longer trailers are easier to back around.

I think this is true. My Kendon two bike trailer v short, and it is a pain in the rear end to maneuver.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Literally learned this last week. Been training for local longshoreman job with zero trailer experience. They gave us 6 hours to practice then tested us. 10 minutes to hookup, do a loop, back it in and detach in order to advance. Was able to get it down to 4 minutes for a cycle.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

monsterzero posted:

My brother does runs a warehouse and says the same. Also, he says that the longer trailers are easier to back around.

This is absolutely true.

I worked for FedEx and we had pups, which are 28'(usually pulled as doubles) and the 53' trailers were so much easier to maneuver.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Thief posted:

the entire tandem format is loving wild

idk if its been posted here but that dude Chris Forsberg has an Infiniti drift sedan (M35 iirc?) which has always been something i wanted to see happen irl and not just in some videogame like Forza

yah he has a Nissan hookup I'm pretty sure, the Infiniti has received a bunch of parts from his comp car iirc so it's pretty wild

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
from the schad thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQQMM9uiWM

lmao

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"HOLY FUCKIN poo poo. GUYS MY BUSCH LIGHT IS GONE. HOLY poo poo. Oh well this car is screwed." hahahahahahaha

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It's worth it.

https://np.reddit.com/r/RoastMyCar/comments/742m7q/fuck_me_up_fam/dnv3duk/

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wasn't sure where to put this but it was pretty funny and neat last night after a twelve hour stint in the OR so in here it goes. I found this note on the windshield of my WRX in the parking garage.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 5, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Professor Bling posted:

"HOLY FUCKIN poo poo. GUYS MY BUSCH LIGHT IS GONE. HOLY poo poo. Oh well this car is screwed." hahahahahahaha

This was my reaction. Pretty good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Brilliant.

For those too lazy to click (or not wanting to because reddit) it's in the 'roast my car' section and this is dude's car:

Underneath there's this comment on it.

quote:

It's clear that you've put a lot of work into your M3. I bet you love driving it and the looks it gets. So why not take her out for a spin? Why not head to your local airport? Make sure to take your passport and an overnight bag.

Park up in the long stay parking, get to the terminal, and head to the Lufthansa desk. Say 'hello, i'd like a ticket to Munich please'. I'm sure they will be able to oblige. Go through security, wait to be called, head to the gate and board as instructed by the staff. Take your seat and kick back, safely stow your baseball cap in the overhead compartment and relax. Maybe watch Baby Driver! The guy drives a WRX! You'll love it.

When you land, go through passport control, and follow the signs for 'S-Bahn'. Don't worry if you can't find it, a member of staff will direct you. Get yourself a ticket from the machines, and head for the S1. That's the S1. Board the train, relax, and disembark at Hauptbahnhof.

When you arrive at Hauptbahnhof, find a friendly gentleman at the ticket office (he'll probably have a huge mustache. This is a good sign, it means you're definitely in Bavaria.) Ask him for a ticket to 'Regensburg, Hauptbahnhof, hin und zurück, Bitte.'

The platforms will be well signed, and a member of staff can also direct you if needed. Don't worry if your German is a little rusty, many Germans speak very good English.

Board the train, enjoy the efficient German engineering on the train that you will be familiar with from your automobile, and take in the scenery. It'll be a little over an hour and a half to Regensburg.

At the other end, stroll off the train and find yourself a taxi. Helpfully the word is the same in German as in English. Hop in and say 'BMW Werk, Bitte'. It'll be a short 15 minute trip.

When you arrive, check the time. You'll need to be there for 8. AM or PM, doesn't matter. The reason for this time is that it's shift change. When the hour approacheth, place yourself conveniently near to the gates of the plant. As employees make their way to or from their jobs, please show them this picture, and clearly and concisely as possible, say the following. 'Es tut mir sehr leid'.

It's the least you can do.

quote:

Translates to “I am very sorry” for anybody wondering.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That poor CR-X :(

The BMW thing owns though. The text, not what spawned it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Brilliant.

For those too lazy to click (or not wanting to because reddit) it's in the 'roast my car' section and this is dude's car:

Underneath there's this comment on it.

Wow, Reddit actually spawned something worthwhile. I'm kinda shocked

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

a sexual elk posted:

Literally learned this last week. Been training for local longshoreman job with zero trailer experience. They gave us 6 hours to practice then tested us. 10 minutes to hookup, do a loop, back it in and detach in order to advance. Was able to get it down to 4 minutes for a cycle.

I'm working on a facility that has a lot of truck docks with small aprons (larger than that, though) and we're going to end up spending a few million bucks extending them because none of the drivers say they can back up to the docks as they're laid out. We even had them out and they couldn't do it.

The designer was dumbfounded because seriously where are we finding all these lovely drivers? And why don't we try training them?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Idiot. The brakes actually would work if YOU WERE INSIDE THE CAR PUSHING ON THE PEDAL. That's not even getting into the handbrake. gently caress you, never own a car again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It could be, possibly, maybe ...

~ a c t i n g ~