Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Corsairs have 80 armour, they're great against any army that doesn't have tons of cheap ranged AP. Against other Dark elves they suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Technically R2 was when they first introduced HP, but R2 and Attila tended to have lower HP per unit

It was still noticeable though- the weird phenomenon where the first volley of arrows or javelins would appear to do nothing, then subsequent ones would drop half the unit.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

is anyone else bothered that the new app store icon is just the skaven logo upside down?

It's always bugged me that the Khorne rune is basically a rotated Dead Kennedys logo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Just about finished my first full campaign as Edgelord McFuckshismom, it's been a little weird.

-Momrai went loving crazy, confederated all the minor Delf factions bar one then ran off to ravage the far side of Ulthuan while holding off the equally as expansionist Mazdamundi in a brutal back and forth over the Mirror Pool region.

-Southlands got decimated by the Strigos Empire of all people, wiping out Kroq, Queek and all but one Lizardman faction in the region. When I finally encountered them they were spamming stacks full of Zombies/Skeletons/Dire Wolves and were somehow taking out doomstacks that by all rights should have smashed them.

-Malakith with all his gear+Seraphon is a scary contender. 4th ritual he rampaged through all the Chaos/Skaven stacks that spawned on my capital and didn't dip below 350~ kills each battle.

-Corsairs disappoint me. Delf Swords/Spears outperform them every fight and are just more reliable with their shields. Once you unlock Witch Elves there's no reason to ever use them. Even the auto-resolve seems to prefer to decimate Corsair units than Witch Elf units, surprising due to it's hate on for low armoured units.

-Skaven are so bad at sieges on both sides of the wall.
Minus the Strigoi Empire taking over the Southlands, this was pretty much my experience as well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I have decided to paint the map for dark elves

half way there, still haven't confederated bro elf

I am gonna die doing this

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Did CA reintroduce the reinforcement bug? Why in the world would a settlements army reinforce behind me as a besieging force??

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Technically R2 was when they first introduced HP, but R2 and Attila tended to have lower HP per unit

Attila also tended to have much higher numbers for damage than the Warhammer games. Like it was not uncommon for a shock cav to have 100+ charge bonus, while in TWW, it's more like 30-40. Javelins in Attila were also insanely lethal, again 100+ missile damage, lots of AP. I don't think I've seen any non-artillery missile damage in WH above 30.

R2 and Attila also had more models per unit, though, which also contributed to the general body count. On Ultra in WH2 with Skaven, your biggest units are going to max out at 160 models and most other armies are half that. R2/Attila had pretty consistent unit sizes of 200 people for standard infantry.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Can someone explain in a straightforward way how power reserves work? I think given the explanations I've read that your reserves feed into your main power pool over the course of a battle. So if you start a fight with 8 power and a reserve of 20 you could potentially get up to 28 total power (assuming you weren't casting spells) but once you run out of reserves that's it. Is that right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

yes

gambling just determines how much of your total power you start with. The map will have strong/weak winds which also determines reserves

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Can someone explain in a straightforward way how power reserves work? I think given the explanations I've read that your reserves feed into your main power pool over the course of a battle. So if you start a fight with 8 power and a reserve of 20 you could potentially get up to 28 total power (assuming you weren't casting spells) but once you run out of reserves that's it. Is that right?

Basically, but iirc the more reserves you have the faster your active power recharges as well.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Also generally the higher your power reserve, the faster your actual winds recharge (using the reserves to charge). Some abilities like Arcane Conduit can temporarily speed up the charging.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Just about finished my first full campaign as Edgelord McFuckshismom, it's been a little weird.

-Momrai went loving crazy, confederated all the minor Delf factions bar one then ran off to ravage the far side of Ulthuan while holding off the equally as expansionist Mazdamundi in a brutal back and forth over the Mirror Pool region.

-Southlands got decimated by the Strigos Empire of all people, wiping out Kroq, Queek and all but one Lizardman faction in the region. When I finally encountered them they were spamming stacks full of Zombies/Skeletons/Dire Wolves and were somehow taking out doomstacks that by all rights should have smashed them.

-Malakith with all his gear+Seraphon is a scary contender. 4th ritual he rampaged through all the Chaos/Skaven stacks that spawned on my capital and didn't dip below 350~ kills each battle.

-Corsairs disappoint me. Delf Swords/Spears outperform them every fight and are just more reliable with their shields. Once you unlock Witch Elves there's no reason to ever use them. Even the auto-resolve seems to prefer to decimate Corsair units than Witch Elf units, surprising due to it's hate on for low armoured units.

-Skaven are so bad at sieges on both sides of the wall.

Corsairs seem bugged. They seem to under perform their stats for some reason and I can't figure out why.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

hot date tonight! posted:

I'm definitely not good enough at the battles to knock out two full stacks with a maxed minor settlement's garrison against mid to late game units, but I guess there's only one way to learn

Even if you don't win (and winning with minor settlement garrisons is tricky later on when the chaos/skaven stacks start getting gold chevron top tier troops) so can you usually still hurt them enough that the next settlement battle will kill them off.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah when activating rituals you have to be okay with losing a settlement or two. Walled settlements will still usually take two stacks to breach and if you fight well you can generally gently caress em up enough that they'll have a little trouble with the next one. I haven't seen intervention armies encamp at all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

my delf economy runs off of elfservants

that isn't what it should be running off of but I loot like 10 each battle

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

StashAugustine posted:

I haven't seen intervention armies encamp at all.

Yep. Deploying them against Morathi is even more of a crapshoot than usual, because they just harmlessly die to attrition if they don't yield any results within the first two turns of being active.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you are an elf would you really call them "elfservants"? Wouldn't they just be servants?

Do they call everything "elfsomething"? Do they have elfbuilders and elfcaterers and elfspikemakers?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you have many servants and you want to make sure that you are high class and have an elf servant and not some human or dwarf servant like the lesser elfs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nephthys posted:

If you are an elf would you really call them "elfservants"? Wouldn't they just be servants?

Do they call everything "elfsomething"? Do they have elfbuilders and elfcaterers and elfspikemakers?

'manservant' is a word

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Nephthys posted:

We have man servants and man handlers. Well, I do.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Among many other things, I wish the campaign layer AI was smarter about starting rituals. Both campaigns I've played so far at least one faction failure spiral'd itself into complete obsolescence by repeatedly starting rituals they can't possibly finish and losing more and more settlements every time. They eventually stop, but I'm assume it's due to requiring a minimum of 3 provincial capitals to start a ritual or something like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Third World Reggin posted:

you have many servants and you want to make sure that you are high class and have an elf servant and not some human or dwarf servant like the lesser elfs

Funky See Funky Do posted:

We have man servants and man handlers. Well, I do.

A manservant doesn't have to be a man, it's a servant for a man.

Therefore, an elfservant doesn't necessarily have to be an elf. It's just a servant who is trained to properly cater to an elf.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

JBP posted:

Game keeps giving me close victories when I lose 200 trash rats and kill 450+ elite lizards.

Im pretty sure it's counting every unit of free Menace From Below rats towards total losses but even then its pretty skewed

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

also I thought "corpable" was a really weird rat name but apparently its olde french or something

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A manservant doesn't have to be a man, it's a servant for a man.

Therefore, an elfservant doesn't necessarily have to be an elf. It's just a servant who is trained to properly cater to an elf.

they got a name for servants that are not elves

slaves

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
It's funny how the description for DE corsairs describes them as designed for fighting in a ship's rigging meanwhile their armor has all these spiky bits that would get horribly snagged on every rope, sail, railing, and giblets along the way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

useless trivia: dwarf slaves are worth considerably more than their weight in gold, because 1. they've usually got skills worth employing 2. it takes a master slaver to keep the little shits from shaving their heads and going berserk. displaying a dwarf slave is a ridiculously ostentatious display of wealth and power

because if any of your rivals has the balls to toss them an edged weapon, things will get very awkward very quickly

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
an elfservant, by comparison: congratulations, you raided ulthuan or one of your rivals recently. good on you.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Panfilo posted:

It's funny how the description for DE corsairs describes them as designed for fighting in a ship's rigging meanwhile their armor has all these spiky bits that would get horribly snagged on every rope, sail, railing, and giblets along the way.

It is probably designed for fighting on your opponent's ship, not yours.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Be kinda cool if Corsairs and Sea Guard got bonuses to naval auto-calc odds.

e: And yeah, lategame DElves seem bugged to get multiple elfservants a turn just popping up everywhere.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 4, 2017

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Pierson posted:

Lizardmen playas how do you use Temple Guards? Get rid of your old Saurus and use them as your new front-line, or did you find a new purpose for them?

Far too expensive for what they provide. Kroq'gar's saurus upkeep reduction doesn't apply to them, I just use kroxigors and giant dinos instead for my armies' AP with the bonus of disrupting enemy formations. Defensively you get them automatically as part of tier V walls and settlement capitals, and in that role they're perfect.

Ammanas posted:

Did CA reintroduce the reinforcement bug? Why in the world would a settlements army reinforce behind me as a besieging force??

Did they ever fix it? I know it's been around forever.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

an elfservant, by comparison: congratulations, you raided ulthuan or one of your rivals recently. good on you.

it is weird since I am getting both elfservants and high elf slaves as commander gear in ulthuan

Ravenfood posted:

I almost think that they do since they are hybrid units and the goon earlier said range units shoot all of their arrows first, but it seems that having 4 spearmen and the rest artillery works better

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 4, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

rockopete posted:

Did they ever fix it? I know it's been around forever.

Might just be even more noticeable now, what with the occasionally better garrisons. It is not fun having to deal with High Elf colonies when their garrison comes in behind you, along with whatever was in the actual army - the garrisons can have something like 8 shielded Seaguard plus additional archers and 1-2 bolt throwers, along with some other stuff.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I really do love this

maybe a bug?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ravenfood posted:

e: And yeah, lategame DElves seem bugged to get multiple elfservants a turn just popping up everywhere.

I completely gave up on black arks when my fully upgraded one with a full stack of corsairs got wiped out by a mediocre high elf army on the open seas. The things take about 100 turns to fully upgrade too.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I really do love this

maybe a bug?

nah totally intentional

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Started a high elf campaign and man it's easy to throw influence at the others to confederate early.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lol Malekeith is in ambush stance on the campaign map and he will not stop lifting his sword and screaming

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think next time that I play high elves, this will be the first thing I grab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So I can take my sweet time because the rituals can be aborted by just a small army, right? I hated rushing in TW1 and never fielding high tier troops until I was big enough that I had no problem just rolling over everyone.