Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Always be dodging bro, and keep your eyes peeled for a pair of Unity rings, one for you and your followe. It's probably still the single greatest defense boost a solo player can provide for themselves.

Other than that make sure your two buffs are always on and just constantly be tumbling when you aren't throwing knives to proc all your defense boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've bound vault to a mouse button, and just constantly jump around whilst auto-impaling when there's a large mob. Mostly effective, but strains the arm because of how difficult it makes aiming.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

Any general tips for better survivability, regardless of build? Point allotment, gem slots etc. (Torment XII)

Lately been having more "wait, what killed me?" moments than I'd like.

You must cube Aquila for Shadow if you haven't already, also Elusive Ring either worn or cubed helps immensely. ~37% CDR gets you Perma-Vengeance with Dawn in the cube, and you should rune Dark Heart for it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

You must cube Aquila for Shadow if you haven't already, also Elusive Ring either worn or cubed helps immensely. ~37% CDR gets you Perma-Vengeance with Dawn in the cube, and you should rune Dark Heart for it.

These are huge but you also have to be mindful how to keep the buffs up:

Aquila needs >90% resource so if you are hatred starved it is not doing anything for you. You might need to up the difficulty to get the hatred restore from Karlei's dagger.

Elusive Ring can fall off if you don't vault for 8 seconds.

Not having enough CDR could mean spending time outside of vengeance and the huge damage reduction of the Dark Heart rune.

The endless walk set switches to +damage if you are standing still, you need to be moving for it to do damage reduction.

Always trigger Shadow Power after you've died, it's permanent because of a set bonus but it has to be applied.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

DrSeRRoD posted:

Yep. I've never played this build before, but unlike some of the other LoN builds (LoN Frenzy Barb & LoN WD), this one felt especially tough. I died a few times just trying to kill the first elite pack. After a few resets and not really knowing what the hell I was doing, I closed it and may try again later in the week when people posts walkthroughs/guides on The Reddits. I just hope the Challenge Rift for the week Season 12 begins isn't a pain.

I played it like Impale DH, hunt for elites and then gtfo. The biggest thing for me was not holding down strafe, you're hatred negative, so you won't keep aquila up and with all the bees flying around you're going to die. Vault to the blue pack, wait till the blues cluster up then pet->vault in->FoK. Restart when one of the blues doesn't die.

The first level has a bunch of elites, but I got to 2nd level as fast as I could. After the blue pack room, head right and then left, I managed to FoK 2 yellows, if you miss, you could grab the conduit and backtrack but I'm not sure it's worth. Second level is decent, just pet+vault into yellow and FoK each yellow you come across. Get the third level as fast as you can, the channeling pylon by 2 yellows helped spawn RG, and I managed to 1 shot him with maybe a dozen stacks/CoE.

Keep aquila up with evasive fire, don't hold strafe, mash vault till you don't have discipline, line up your FoK with at least lightning CoE if not Pets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mewse posted:

These are huge but you also have to be mindful how to keep the buffs up:

Aquila needs >90% resource so if you are hatred starved it is not doing anything for you. You might need to up the difficulty to get the hatred restore from Karlei's dagger.

Elusive Ring can fall off if you don't vault for 8 seconds.

Not having enough CDR could mean spending time outside of vengeance and the huge damage reduction of the Dark Heart rune.

The endless walk set switches to +damage if you are standing still, you need to be moving for it to do damage reduction.

Always trigger Shadow Power after you've died, it's permanent because of a set bonus but it has to be applied.

I think I've got most of these covered.

When I go down its usually from a sudden spike of damage. I was wondering if there's something I could do statwise. Like I'm not sure whether to up paragon resistances before armor, or use vitality gems instead of resistance ones.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

exquisite tea posted:

I keep seeing 37% CDR, but most Shadow's Mantle builds use gogok, so you really only need ~25% CDR to get 100% uptime.

This can make the beginning of rifts a bit dicey while getting up to 10 gogok stacks though, so YMMV.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

When I go down its usually from a sudden spike of damage. I was wondering if there's something I could do statwise. Like I'm not sure whether to up paragon resistances before armor, or use vitality gems instead of resistance ones.

you can't realistically stack enough vitality to not get one shot without your buffs as a DH and that only becomes more true, so diamonds beat out amethysts in almost every case.

I mean this as helpfully as possible: are your spell effects turned all the way up? Sometimes a coldsnap or a lightning ball will proc and if your spell effects are down maybe you might not be able to see it as well before you die?

Added sVr to the OP, he's streaming WoW ATM, man that game hasn't really changed at all in the 10 years I been gone really. if anyone finds any other good D3 streamers post em up

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Paragon should dump into +allres first until it is maxed 50/50. Generally you can keep the biggest diamond you can make in your helm for the CDR and emeralds in everything else for +dmg and +dodge but at higher levels you'll be switching to all diamonds for the +allres anyways. Until you get better gear/rolls you can swap some emeralds out for diamonds now for better survivability. Also make sure you have the flawless royal gem patterns and make them for your poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Am I correct in thinking that the DH's growth of power way outpaces their defense's?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rinkles posted:

Am I correct in thinking that the DH's growth of power way outpaces their defense's?

This is true of almost every non-hardcore spec in the game. You'll reach a point where you simply run out of ways to amplify your defenses and a hard stare from even white mobs will knock you dead. That is why people joke about D3 becoming a bullet hell shooter in upper level GRs, except it's not a joke, really.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

this is true of every build in D3. The ultimate playskill in D3 is positioning, and this is the reason that zero-damage support classes focus on grouping up mobs and crowd-control for their groups, so that everyone else can run a glass cannon all damage build without worrying that they'll take a literal billion damage from a stray bee sting

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

you can't realistically stack enough vitality to not get one shot without your buffs as a DH and that only becomes more true, so diamonds beat out amethysts in almost every case.

I mean this as helpfully as possible: are your spell effects turned all the way up? Sometimes a coldsnap or a lightning ball will proc and if your spell effects are down maybe you might not be able to see it as well before you die?

Added sVr to the OP, he's streaming WoW ATM, man that game hasn't really changed at all in the 10 years I been gone really. if anyone finds any other good D3 streamers post em up

twitch.tv/fuczzang
twitch.tv/dantatv

Koreans testing on PTR, I haven't chatted with fuczzang but Danta will do his best to respond to chat comments in English. Fuczzang's the best wizard streamer I've seen. Danta plays all classes. I still put sVr as the man to watch if he's on, but that might be my lack of Korean

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Yea, he's taking a break until the next patch since he's been testing the PTR so much each time it is patched. Cant wait for the first week of S12!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm excited for all the changes coming in S12, way more than even the Necro pack. I want to play every class but lol I'm just gonna rebirth my launch night Wizard again. Bnet ID #1198 true Diabliever.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rinkles posted:

If you haven't, post your profile (assuming you play PC).

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

GTJustin posted:

Words of wisdom...

Thanks. It was much easier when you have an idea wth to do with the build.

E: drat, they weren't kidding when they said that Diablo won't have much of a presence at Blizzcon.

Here's the schedule:
https://blizzcon.com/en-gb/schedule#fri-nov-3

Diablo has a 30-minute segment around 3pm on both days, and that's it.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 4, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Larrymer posted:

If you haven't, post your profile (assuming you play PC).

jabu#11464

I don't know how much you can see, but critique (or laugh) away. Shadow Mantle is the 5th set. Jewelry is probably the thing that needs the most work in Shadow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rinkles posted:

jabu#11464

I don't know how much you can see, but critique (or laugh) away. Shadow Mantle is the 5th set. Jewelry is probably the thing that needs the most work in Shadow.

That gave an error when searching. Just post a link.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Larrymer-1390/hero/93773513

Mine for reference with fairly decent rolls on most things. About the only thing I swap is is tactical advantage if I'm doing speeds vs. higher GRs. I don't push much higher than about mid 70's because that's not my thing personally.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 4, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jabu-11464/hero/94722520

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Alright here goes:

Rings and amulets: always go for damage. Crit chance, crit damage, lightning % (elemental can only roll on amulets, not rings except one I believe that isn't worth using for this build). Keep dex and roll off one of the other affixes.
Weapon: put an emerald in there instead of ruby, huge damage increase. Get the traveler's pledge set by upgrading rare rings and amulets.
Belt: roll off hungering arrow, since you don't use that skill for this build. Armor, all resist, anything is better than that.
Bracers: all res to lightning %. You can only roll elemental on a few items and it's a huge damage buff even if it doesn't affect your sheet damage.
Chest: all res to vitality
Gloves: life per hit to crit dmg or vitality. Really though try to get another one. For high pushing some might suggest attack speed/crit/crit but I prefer more toughness with Vit/crit/crit
Shoulders: life per sec to cooldown reduction
Helm: strafe to crit chance or impale damage. Really another would be better with dex/vit/impale or crit or dex/crit/impale for max dmg. I prefer vit again for toughness since this build has silly damage in the first place.
Gems: bane of the trapped. Hands down best gem for pretty much every build but support builds. Then you can do pain enhancer and gogok. Impale is not a primary skill so SS isn't doing anything for you. :v: Stricken you probably don't need unless you're really pushing but even then I don't know if impale DH ever really needs it.

That should get you started, haha.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

I've been playing a lot of this build lately. It's definitely one of my favorites!

Some (unsolicited) advice:

Helm: Roll Strafe DMG% to CHC
Gloves: Roll LPH to CHD
Neck: You'll find something better eventually. Target Socket, then any of %Lightning, CHC, CHD
Chest: Probably roll Elite %Reduction to Vit
Belt: Roll Hungering Arrow %DMG to anything else
Quiver: Roll Elite %DMG to CHC

Switch in Bane of the Trapped, switch out Simplicity's Strength. Pain Enhancer is probably better than Bane of the Stricken.
Switch your Ruby in your Karlei's Point to your best emerald. This is the single biggest thing you can do right now to boost your damage.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

GTJustin posted:

I played it like Impale DH, hunt for elites and then gtfo. The biggest thing for me was not holding down strafe, you're hatred negative, so you won't keep aquila up and with all the bees flying around you're going to die. Vault to the blue pack, wait till the blues cluster up then pet->vault in->FoK. Restart when one of the blues doesn't die.

The first level has a bunch of elites, but I got to 2nd level as fast as I could. After the blue pack room, head right and then left, I managed to FoK 2 yellows, if you miss, you could grab the conduit and backtrack but I'm not sure it's worth. Second level is decent, just pet+vault into yellow and FoK each yellow you come across. Get the third level as fast as you can, the channeling pylon by 2 yellows helped spawn RG, and I managed to 1 shot him with maybe a dozen stacks/CoE.

Keep aquila up with evasive fire, don't hold strafe, mash vault till you don't have discipline, line up your FoK with at least lightning CoE if not Pets.

To be honest, you can hold down strafe but you have to intersperse evasive fires in every 2-3 seconds or so. If you've ever played a nat's build, this plays pretty much exactly like that. If you can avoid using FoK until you're on lightning CoE with about 10+ stacks, you will one shot anything in range. All this challenge rift made me want to do is play another nat's DH, though.

e: That's one thing I really like about challenge dungeons. They let you try out builds without having to gear up the class. As long as the build is mostly actually there (i.e. not a monk build without dashing strike), you get a pretty nice idea of how it plays and if it's something you'd like to try.

pyromance fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 4, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. I inserted Simplicity's Strength w/o thinking when I was hastily switching from UE.

I've held back from rerolling most of my gear because I have no idea what would be optimal even if I realize some of the stats do nothing (thanks for the pointers). But also because it feels like a waste of time and resources on gear that I don't know are worth keeping in the long run.

I hate the paralysis that comes with not knowing which gear to keep. My chest is now overloaded, and there's a lot of potentially interesting stuff I'd like to get to at some point, but without delving into every conceivable build, I don't know whether it's worth keeping. Like how am I supposed to know what stats a particular part wants (like what skill boost) if I don't know what potential use it has?

I have the traveler's pledge set but don't know which stats to reroll for slots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Y'all missed that I forgot to attach a rune to Impale (I did at some point, but must have forgotten when I was messing around with the available options). I noticed because I just found ancient strongarm bracers that boost lightning, so I went to check the element of the equipped rune...

e:That seems to have helped with the Hatred problems, even in lower torment

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 4, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Y'all missed that I forgot to attach a rune to Impale (I did at some point, but must have forgotten when I was messing around with the available options). I noticed because I just found ancient strongarm bracers that boost lightning, so I went to check the element of the equipped rune...

e:That seems to have helped with the Hatred problems, even in lower torment

I'm a dumbass. Adding the rune and changing the legendary gem has made torment 13 rifts perfectly manageable.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I was trying to judge how much +%damage a +20 max essence phylactery would give me (w/o resorting to d3 planner), and calculated 289/269=1.074 = +7.4%. But then I realized this doesn't account for your starting damage. Since Reilena's is .5% damage per essence, you can just add on your 100% starting damage as 200 essence. The same calculation again would be 489/469=1.042 = +4.2% damage. Hooray I solved an 8th grade word problem. But given Reilena's is likely to be with us several seasons this is an easy thing to overlook so I thought I'd share.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Too spooky for Diablo three

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eregos posted:

I was trying to judge how much +%damage a +20 max essence phylactery would give me (w/o resorting to d3 planner), and calculated 289/269=1.074 = +7.4%. But then I realized this doesn't account for your starting damage. Since Reilena's is .5% damage per essence, you can just add on your 100% starting damage as 200 essence. The same calculation again would be 489/469=1.042 = +4.2% damage. Hooray I solved an 8th grade word problem. But given Reilena's is likely to be with us several seasons this is an easy thing to overlook so I thought I'd share.

So, is it better than Lidless Wall?

Israfil
Feb 15, 2008
Gumdrops
I finally got my fourth additional stash tab last night. It's an odd accomplishment, because in the process, I've realized that there's little point to saving anything in non-seasonal, and during a season, I never need the entire stash. Most of the legendaries I have saved in non-season are getting reworked in S12, and I'll be salvaging them anyway.

I think I'll enjoy the seasons more now without the self-imposed pressure to get the stash tab.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm having a hard time gearing up my Crusader. I can handle torment 1 but things get too spongy after that and I'm having no luck with set items or legendaries either in bounties or rifts - the last two rift guardians for GR14 didn't even drop anything better than a rare. Is there an easier way?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jimbot posted:

I'm having a hard time gearing up my Crusader. I can handle torment 1 but things get too spongy after that and I'm having no luck with set items or legendaries either in bounties or rifts - the last two rift guardians for GR14 didn't even drop anything better than a rare. Is there an easier way?

Ask in the SAGoons in-game channel for someone to help you.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Your shoulders are still dyed white. :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bio347 posted:

Your shoulders are still dyed white. :v:

I did that on purpose, yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Israfil posted:

I finally got my fourth additional stash tab last night. It's an odd accomplishment, because in the process, I've realized that there's little point to saving anything in non-seasonal, and during a season, I never need the entire stash. Most of the legendaries I have saved in non-season are getting reworked in S12, and I'll be salvaging them anyway.

I think I'll enjoy the seasons more now without the self-imposed pressure to get the stash tab.

As someone that's not sure of every item's worth, I very much do have a problem with free space. I'm especially especially uncertain what to do with items for other classes.

Yesterday accidentally salvaged two pieces of gear I was using because I was sloppy about re-equipping them---I used the armor slots for easier comparisons. I'd like a lock function like Destiny has that prevents you from scraping gear you mark until you unlock it.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I can never have enough tabs. Love2hoard

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

As someone that's not sure of every item's worth, I very much do have a problem with free space. I'm especially especially uncertain what to do with items for other classes.

Yesterday accidentally salvaged two pieces of gear I was using because I was sloppy about re-equipping them---I used the armor slots for easier comparisons. I'd like a lock function like Destiny has that prevents you from scraping gear you mark until you unlock it.

You are seasonal, so unless you plan on playing that class this season, just shard it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dameius posted:

You are seasonal, so unless you plan on playing that class this season, just shard it.

But it gets added to the regular stash when the season ends, no? (how does seasonal non-seasonal stash merging work?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, but who the gently caress plays non seasonal