Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Battle Chasers seems fine but holy goddamn gently caress how do you make a JRPG in 2017 and not give out-of-battle party members any exp

There's no catchup exp scaling system or anything so you just have to grind them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The fact that Battlechasers actually ended because Joe Mad decided to just play FF7 instead makes this whole thing rather surreal.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Maltose posted:

The fact that Battlechasers actually ended because Joe Mad decided to just play FF7 instead makes this whole thing rather surreal.

What?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Battle Chasers seems fine but holy goddamn gently caress how do you make a JRPG in 2017 and not give out-of-battle party members any exp

There's no catchup exp scaling system or anything so you just have to grind them up

It's even worse because it's not like you can just stick to a party and be fine, there are some bosses who have gimmicks that will gently caress up specific party members and it's smart to swap them out. Like the slime in the sewers who halves all healing output, making switching the robot with the wizard a good idea as the wizard at least has shields, but the wizard comes in at level 9 when my party was at level 11 going on 12!

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if the combat wasn't so slow. The fact that there's no animation skip and decently long animations for every single move makes even trivial fights take way longer than they should. I'm really liking the strategy that comes into fighting bosses, but conserving mana during dungeons is a drag because it means you're mostly using the free moves and maybe one or two of the real abilities to finish off enemies.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this definitely sounds like a jrpg made by someone who has not played a jrpg since 1997

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TurnipFritter posted:

XCX's "you can use battle points you get for completing certain objectives to purchase monster drops, which you can use to craft stuff" was a cool idea, it's just unfortunate that it devolved into "go fight one of two global tyrants, tear off it's appendages, then cancel the fight" over and over and over and over.

Or "complete the fights because you think that's what you need to do and they require consumables to take part and getting additional passes is a bunch of awful grindy bullshit."

I don't think I'd ever heard of the option to cancel the fight as something worth doing. If that lets you keep the drop and re-enter the fight then the World Tyrant stuff was even more poorly thought out than I believed.

Overminty posted:

I need to play 3 and 5 some day.

Or maybe I'll just replay 2 again.

3 took way too drat long to give you Vicki and the warp mirrors. Travel in that game is tedious as hell and not getting those items (which are 100% optional I think?) for so long is just awful. Suikoden 5 is worth playing but it is very, very long. It's a shame that it couldn't save the series and that any hope the series had at continuing was brutally murdered by the DS game and then its corpse was kicked around a bit by the PSP.

As much as I'd love to see a new Suikoden I don't doubt that, at best, it would be some cash-grab F2P Japan-only mobile game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Fluffy posted:

3 took way too drat long to give you Vicki and the warp mirrors. Travel in that game is tedious as hell and not getting those items (which are 100% optional I think?) for so long is just awful. Suikoden 5 is worth playing but it is very, very long. It's a shame that it couldn't save the series and that any hope the series had at continuing was brutally murdered by the DS game and then its corpse was kicked around a bit by the PSP.

As much as I'd love to see a new Suikoden I don't doubt that, at best, it would be some cash-grab F2P Japan-only mobile game.

Suikoden 5 was amazing, I'm so sad that it was the last in the series. It was long but it never felt long, to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rough as the mechanics are in paper mario, i think the sheer variety between chapters is enough to hook me more than superstar saga. really i can't think of any locations between this and ttyd that i don't love, i'm in shy guy's toybox right now and it's such a cute chapter visually. as good a game as it was, the different locales and dungeons in ss were really cool but they wore thin a lot faster cause they were just fuckin rear end to navigate and had much less in the way of defining visual features for different areas, having more detailed 3d environments does a lot to make paper mario's world blur together less

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 5, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Every time I think DQ7 is out of ways to gently caress with me it keeps finding different angles to kick me in the dick. What the absolute gently caress do you mean I have to redo this whole dungeon two more times for these loving fragments. Why do you have to teleport me out? God is an rear end in a top hat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

Every time I think DQ7 is out of ways to gently caress with me it keeps finding different angles to kick me in the dick. What the absolute gently caress do you mean I have to redo this whole dungeon two more times for these loving fragments. Why do you have to teleport me out? God is an rear end in a top hat.

:laugh:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

You vastly overstated that fight's difficulty, btw. 13 rounds with a Mimic, Druid, Paladin, and Luminary. Only lost a character once.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

You vastly overstated that fight's difficulty, btw. 13 rounds with a Mimic, Druid, Paladin, and Luminary. Only lost a character once.

To be fair, I was going off the PSX version where if you don't have some platking action going on he'll wait you out with boxer dance and quick joke in between 400+ damage aoes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Honestly I mostly only got single-targeted on spells, with the occasional joke (and it only ever got one guy at a time).

So either they've nerfed him some or I was an RNG god.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Taear posted:

Suikoden 5 was amazing, I'm so sad that it was the last in the series. It was long but it never felt long, to me.
In some ways 5 might be my favorite game in the series, at least in that I had what I felt was the optimal experience. Someone here had posted a guide that was simply, "at this point in the story, this is who you can recruit and where/how", and nothing else. So I could play the game more or less at my leisure, and just check at each major checkpoint to pick these fellows up. As much as I love 2 I've had to replay it something like 3 times over the years because each time I would progress in such a way that felt ultimately unsatisfying and necessitated going back to "do it right". Perhaps if I had had such a guide for my first run of 2 that I had for 5 this would've been different, but alas.

I also think it's kind of BS that you don't get that one cool story with the sniper (I sadly forget the name) unless you rush through the story. When I finally had a run of Suikoden II that I felt satisfied with it was only when I both had a guide and used a gameshark code to permanently keep the playtime low.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nate RFB posted:

In some ways 5 might be my favorite game in the series, at least in that I had what I felt was the optimal experience. Someone here had posted a guide that was simply, "at this point in the story, this is who you can recruit and where/how", and nothing else. So I could play the game more or less at my leisure, and just check at each major checkpoint to pick these fellows up. As much as I love 2 I've had to replay it something like 3 times over the years because each time I would progress in such a way that felt ultimately unsatisfying and necessitated going back to "do it right". Perhaps if I had had such a guide for my first run of 2 that I had for 5 this would've been different, but alas.

I also think it's kind of BS that you don't get that one cool story with the sniper (I sadly forget the name) unless you rush through the story. When I finally had a run of Suikoden II that I felt satisfied with it was only when I both had a guide and used a gameshark code to permanently keep the playtime low.

He's called Clive.

My first playthrough we had an offical guide that told you absolutely everything you can do in it. It was pretty decent - good at not spoiling but also telling you what you need to do.
Second time over I had a terrible GameFAQs guide for it that kept telling me "this fight is really easy" or "this fight is really hard" instead of what happened in the fight.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Hell yeah!
5 pulled me in a way few games can. The opening is really solid and sets the stakes in a awesome way. I really want another game like it.
And the way you get your own castle was awesome.
I didnt follow a guide for recruiting so i never got 108 stars

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I generally found the suikoden fansite (suikosource?) character guide to be decent at letting me know who I could get when without spoilers but gently caress trying to do Clive's story.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I feel like the massive amount of armor dudes in Dark Souls 2 is pushing me into a Strength build to focus on Hammer type stuff. Though I’ve also heard scaling is crap until much later in the game and early levels should go into HP/Stamina/Weight?

At least I’ve hit 20 Dex to use my Old Whip, I just don’t know where to go from here, stat-wise.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Guys I know this might be a little different from normal thread chat but Golf Story is a lot of fun so far. Unlike Everybody's Golf, which is a golf game with RPG mechanics, Golf Story is definitely more like an RPG with golf mechanics. You can tee off literally anywhere, throw golf balls at people, complete challenges given by bystands for money and xp, and experience what is a surprisingly charming story.

Edit: Oh and there's Frisbee Golf too but I haven't got one yet :(

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Getsuya posted:

I feel like the massive amount of armor dudes in Dark Souls 2 is pushing me into a Strength build to focus on Hammer type stuff. Though I’ve also heard scaling is crap until much later in the game and early levels should go into HP/Stamina/Weight?

At least I’ve hit 20 Dex to use my Old Whip, I just don’t know where to go from here, stat-wise.

Blunt damage really is king in DS2. Other stuff can be effective, but will not compete for like 90% of the game. Dex builds in general in Souls are tougher to pull off though and whip damage is generally disappointing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Oh and there's Frisbee Golf too but I haven't got one yet :(
There's also an 8-bit golf game called Galf complete with fake anime manual PDF that you play on a literal NES ripoff in some kid's house

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I two handed the rapier throughout the entirety of DS2, finding a weapon you like is much more important than worrying about damage types.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Piercing is still way more effective than slashing damage, so rapiers tend to do well in that game

I used slashing weapons for most of the game and it loving sucked, the second I switched to blunt my damage output almost tripled

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been playing the .hack//IMOQ games. I'm about halfway through Quarantine now and I swear these games have some of the most annoying spellcaster enemies I've seen. They often hit hard, will throw annoying status effects at your guys just by looking at them, often have absurd resurrection abilities for their allies, a lot of them can move away from you very fast, and if they have Magic Tolerance and there's more than one of them or they bait you into following them to another spawn point then lol just lol.

The way magic works in this game in general can be a bit frustrating on top of all that, since it freezes whoever the target of the offensive spell is in place. It's if like spell freeze from OG Tales of Phantasia/Destiny was made into an actual mechanic. This sometimes leads to interesting strategic fights, but if you fight like three or four of these spellcasters (Particularly in a dungeon where you can't escape the battle) then lol.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Hivac posted:

Piercing is still way more effective than slashing damage, so rapiers tend to do well in that game

I used slashing weapons for most of the game and it loving sucked, the second I switched to blunt my damage output almost tripled

I’m not quite that far but this exact thing happened to me when I bought the Mace and tried it on the big knights at the tower place vs. the whip.

Though if piercing works good too I’m going all in on spears.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

The pacing in it was pretty good which helped a lot. The beginning felt slow to me initially but as you play through the game all that early setup makes a lot more sense.

Plus the early part of the game has wonderful moments like taking your sister (and Kyle) to meet Jeanne for the first time. :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

rough as the mechanics are in paper mario, i think the sheer variety between chapters is enough to hook me more than superstar saga. really i can't think of any locations between this and ttyd that i don't love, i'm in shy guy's toybox right now and it's such a cute chapter visually. as good a game as it was, the different locales and dungeons in ss were really cool but they wore thin a lot faster cause they were just fuckin rear end to navigate and had much less in the way of defining visual features for different areas, having more detailed 3d environments does a lot to make paper mario's world blur together less

Paper Mario and TTYD are better than every Mario & Luigi. unfortunately they just fell the gently caress apart after that and made everything poo poo

E: I like pm1 more than 2 in everything but the actual mechanics.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Taear posted:

5 felt glacial and it has this terrible problem where they intentionally gated a lot of the recruitable characters behind a weird flag where if there was a story event going on, you basically couldn't recruit anyone. so you had these five-minute spaces between story beats where you actually could go searching for people, but that meant a lot of backtracking instead of recruiting them naturally as you play through the area in the story.

and then that ridiculously high encounter rate. pair that with the unreasonably long battle loading animation and suikoden 5 just wasn't very enjoyable for me.

Nate RFB posted:

the hardest part about that quest is getting roadblocked by grinding. if you use the matilda gate glitch, gain a bunch of levels, and then die on purpose to reload a previous save with your levels intact, you'll be completely set re: stats and MP for more than half the game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 5, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bckgyhCo7Lw

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

^That song is extremely good.

RIP the relationship between Namco and Go Shiina.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iZ2RK39Wco

;_;...wadda good video game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

^That song is extremely good.

RIP the relationship between Namco and Go Shiina.

i doubt go shiina leaving namco is gonna mean he'll never compose for a namco game again, he probably just got tired of only ever composing for god eater

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i doubt go shiina leaving namco is gonna mean he'll never compose for a namco game again, he probably just got tired of only ever composing for god eater

Yeah if anything this just means they're free to be featured in games I actually want to play.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hell, it's not like it's even affected him working on the next god eater game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

legendia has the best ost ever in any rpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvPg89TIMI

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

too bad about everything else, though

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

At least it wasn't a waste, the God Eater soundtrack is extremely good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

the hardest part about that quest is getting roadblocked by grinding. if you use the matilda gate glitch, gain a bunch of levels, and then die on purpose to reload a previous save with your levels intact, you'll be completely set re: stats and MP for more than half the game.

Suikoden's leveling system literally makes it so you never have to grind unless you're constantly running from fights though. :confused:

Sure, it has the side-effect of letting you do setups that can spike your level far above what you'd normally hit for the area (like soloing in the highlands to hit level 99 after a single fight with the right rune(s) equipped, or hitting level 65-70 on Tir in Neclord's castle in S1) but you're pretty much always at a sufficient level to clear an area without having to grind. Just swap around characters periodically so you aren't stuck with 1 good team and 2 poo poo teams for the night battle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinity Gaia posted:

At least it wasn't a waste, the God Eater soundtrack is extremely good.

it's not as good as ace combat 3d or mr. driller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXDCtfZpEQw

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

you're pretty much always at a sufficient level to clear an area without having to grind.

you are, but for clive's quest, you want to blow through all the areas as quickly as possible with as little trouble as you can manage. nothing says speed like one-shotting bosses with fourth-level spells that you shouldn't have until nearly the end of the game.

turning every encounter into Let Go instead of Parley or Run, and condensing every 5-10min boss battle into a single round (at least until the game balance expects you go have 2+ fourth-level spells on multiple characters in a single party) is huge and i think you're grossly overlooking how much of a difference that makes in your overall time.