Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Lone Goat posted:

Remember when people made up a format so they could make use of all their Contract From Belows?

Remember when the 2001 Invitational was decided in a match of this dumb format because Kai Budde Tinkered for a Jeweled Bird in a game he was losing anyway?

5 color magic was an amazing format you heathen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Check your emails for confirmation of priority Arena beta access. I just got mine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I thought doing a Ixalan prerelease was s'posta get me in? :smith:

Where can I find a list of standard-legal multilands? I have a bunch of the common ones from DBTK but as an old person I like duals that come into play UNtapped. Or I guess at least have a chance to.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Where can I find a list of standard-legal multilands? I have a bunch of the common ones from DBTK but as an old person I like duals that come into play UNtapped. Or I guess at least have a chance to.

The only reprint dual lands in standard are the buddy/check lands from M10,11,12,13. There are some other random ones like Highland Lake that are still in because of Planeswalker decks but they come in tapped.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Tainen posted:

Check your emails for confirmation of priority Arena beta access. I just got mine.

Ditto.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Yeah, same, though I plan on pulling strings to make sure I get in. :D

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Got mine too. See you fools in The Arena!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Angry Grimace posted:

It is one of those. Jace goes full Monster Musume.

you never go full Monster Musume!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Build Mill (don't actually do this)

If you're broke then Stompy is honestly a decent choice because that deck is less than $100. If you want to be more competitive then I think a version of Gifts Storm without the fetch lands is still viable and only costs $250 or so. But then you live in constant fear of Wizards banning yet another Storm piece.

I'd build 8 whack if I wanted a good cheap deck. You can upgrade into a good burn deck over time too with the guides and bolts.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Standard legal dual lands:

-Enemy fast-lands from Kaladesh (come in tapped unless you control 2 or fewer other lands) Inspiring Vantage, Spirebluff Canal, Botanical Sanctum, Blooming Marsh, Concealed Courtyard

-Allied cycling lands from Amonkhet (come in tapped, have basic land subtypes, have cycling 2) irrigated farmland, Fetid Pools, Canyon Soough, Sheltered Thicket, Scattered Groves

-allied checklands / buddylands originally from M10-M12, reprinted in Ixalan (come into play tapped unless you control a land with one of two basic land subtypes)
Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacomb, Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag, Sunpetal Grove

-uncommon plain-old comes-in-tapped lands, kept standard legal by being in all the Planeswalker precon decks, all 10 of em, which I can never remember the names of. NOT the gain-1-life ones from Tarkir block or the Guildgate ones from RTR block.

Plus you have Aether Hub (Kaladesh) and Evolving Wilds (last reprinted in Amonkhet, has been standard legal through reprints for at least 5 years and will probably continue to be reprinted as a Standard staple for the foreseeable future)

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

TwistedNails posted:

I'd build 8 whack if I wanted a good cheap deck. You can upgrade into a good burn deck over time too with the guides and bolts.

I'm having a really hard time playing eight whack on xmage vs board wipes and big blockers. It's fun but I don't feel like I really understand it

What are some good uses for mogg fanatic? I feel like there's some potential there I'm not seeing

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Watching worlds gives me whole new appreciation for the lengths wizards had to go in putting even more nails in control's coffin considering the coffin had been six feet under ground for 4 years already

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

En Fuego posted:

Yeah, same, though I plan on pulling strings to make sure I get in. :D

Got mine too, though it just says it's because I played in a prerelease. Most people don't have their emails associated with their DCI account because no one registers their cards anymore, and I've been judging for ~11 years, so I hope that gets me in faster.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Watching worlds gives me whole new appreciation for the lengths wizards had to go in putting even more nails in control's coffin considering the coffin had been six feet under ground for 4 years already

It's been a lot longer than four years. The last Actual Real Control Deck was in like, Time Spiral.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

It's been a lot longer than four years. The last Actual Real Control Deck was in like, Time Spiral.

Ivan Floch won a pro tour with a deck containing exactly 0 win conditions like 3 years ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Firebatgyro posted:

Ivan Floch won a pro tour with a deck containing exactly 0 win conditions like 3 years ago.

How dare you. Elixir of Immortality is a win condition.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I'm having a really hard time playing eight whack on xmage vs board wipes and big blockers. It's fun but I don't feel like I really understand it

What are some good uses for mogg fanatic? I feel like there's some potential there I'm not seeing

Chump block and sac, or sac for goblin grenade, or sac to kill something with 1 toughness like a Mana dork. Or just doing 1 dmg to finish someone off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TwistedNails posted:

Chump block and sac, or sac for goblin grenade, or sac to kill something with 1 toughness like a Mana dork. Or just doing 1 dmg to finish someone off.

Wasn't fanatic only good when damage used the stack?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Wasn't fanatic only good when damage used the stack?

it was better, sure, but what do you want to replace it with? it's a one-mana goblin in a deck that's playing all the other good one-mana goblins and does something they don't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

it was better, sure, but what do you want to replace it with? it's a one-mana goblin in a deck that's playing all the other good one-mana goblins and does something they don't.

The 1/2 revolt deathtouch guy?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

The best, most fun to play standard deck...period. I still have my Sphinx's Revelations and Azorius Charms waiting.....just waiting.

MAIN DECK
Planeswalkers [3]
3 Jace, Architect of Thought

Spells [31]

4 Azorius Charm
4 Dissolve
3 Divination
1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Last Breath
3 Planar Cleansing
4 Quicken
4 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Syncopate

Lands [25]
2 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Fountain
6 Island (254)
2 Mutavault
6 Plains 4 Temple of Enlightenment
1 Temple of Epiphany

SIDEBOARD
2 Archangel of Thune
1 Deicide
2 Dispel
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Gainsay
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Last Breath
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram

The best most perfect deck ever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

The best, most fun to play standard deck...period. I still have my Sphinx's Revelations and Azorius Charms waiting.....just waiting.

MAIN DECK
Planeswalkers [3]

Spells [31]

4 Azorius Charm
4 Dissolve
3 Divination
1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Last Breath
3 Planar Cleansing
4 Quicken
4 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Syncopate

Lands [25]
2 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Fountain
6 Island (254)
2 Mutavault
1 Temple of Epiphany

SIDEBOARD
2 Archangel of Thune
1 Deicide
2 Dispel
2 Gainsay
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Last Breath
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram

Sphinx's Rev won a LOT of bad players a LOT of games.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Sphinx's Rev won a LOT of bad players AWESOME PEOPLE WHO PLAYED THE BEST DECK OF ALL TIME a LOT of games.

FTFY

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

that's a very good card but it's a green elf, not a red goblin, making it a somewhat odd choice for a mono-red goblin deck

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Madmarker posted:

MAIN DECK
Planeswalkers [3]

Spells [31]

4 Azorius Charm
4 Dissolve
3 Divination
1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Last Breath
3 Planar Cleansing
4 Quicken
4 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Syncopate

Lands [25]
2 Azorius Guildgate
4 Hallowed Fountain
6 Island (254)
2 Mutavault
1 Temple of Epiphany

SIDEBOARD
2 Archangel of Thune
1 Deicide
2 Dispel
2 Gainsay
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Last Breath
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram

This is still one of the greatest decks of all time!

mcmagic posted:

Wait, are you calling Floch bad?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

I know it's only been a few times in a new format but what the gently caress do you call this? 0 creatures mainboarded, playsets of counterspells, card quality and quantity, a stupid-rear end 7-cmc wincon that works better when you make things take forever, optional land-based mill wincon, and 7 board wipes!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I know it's only been a few times in a new format but what the gently caress do you call this? 0 creatures mainboarded, playsets of counterspells, card quality and quantity, a stupid-rear end 7-cmc wincon that works better when you make things take forever, optional land-based mill wincon, and 7 board wipes!

That's combo, and also not actually good.

That said, the post your quoting is somehow forgetting both Sphinx's Revelation and Drownyard Control, and doesn't consider the Torrential Gearhulk/Energy lists control either, which is ????.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

im glad for your success

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Lord of Hats posted:

That's combo, and also not actually good.

Ok I don't know enough about Ixalan standard to say if it's good or not, but that is a purebred control deck that uses Approach of the Second Sun as a wincon that rewards it for hiding in a corner and throwing eggs at anyone who comes close. It's control, gently caress you.

You're right about one thing, though, the guy's conditions must be extremely arbitrary or 100% based on the existence of planeswalkers to be discounting everything since Time Sprial.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Approach is control, still dogcrap next to energy

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rides Naked posted:

Approach is control, still dogcrap next to energy

Thank you.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ok I don't know enough about Ixalan standard to say if it's good or not, but that is a purebred control deck that uses Approach of the Second Sun as a wincon that rewards it for hiding in a corner and throwing eggs at anyone who comes close. It's control, gently caress you.

You're right about one thing, though, the guy's conditions must be extremely arbitrary or 100% based on the existence of planeswalkers to be discounting everything since Time Sprial.

I was wrong, I thought you were posting the dumb New Horizons deck, I should have given it a closer look.

That's a control deck, alright (also probably not good, but hey!)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Approach did reasonably well at SCG Dallas, but all the control players are on U/B (and one Grixis) at Worlds. They're all running 2-4 answers to Carnage Tyrant in the 75, with 0 copies of the card in the constructed portion of the tournament. There are also 0 copies of Hostage Taker.

Worlds is weird these days.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Approach did reasonably well at SCG Dallas, but all the control players are on U/B (and one Grixis) at Worlds. They're all running 2-4 answers to Carnage Tyrant in the 75, with 0 copies of the card in the constructed portion of the tournament. There are also 0 copies of Hostage Taker.

Worlds is weird these days.

It's important to remember formats like that get really, really inbred.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's important to remember formats like that get really, really inbred.

That one guy showed up with mono red treasure!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Their little info-blurb just said that Brad Nelson has a career *67%* win rate in standard matches. That's fuckin nuts

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

That card is decent in zoo but it has no place in 8 whack. It's also green.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Their little info-blurb just said that Brad Nelson has a career *67%* win rate in standard matches. That's fuckin nuts

Just means one thing: He's a cheater.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

AlternateNu posted:

Just means one thing: He's a cheater.

I mean probably not, what it really shows is that when you are playing at a level where people don't mess up combat math or sequencing the only edge that matters is deck building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
If you think these guys don't mess up combat math or sequencing you don't watch enough matches because they do it on camera, nevermind the matches we don't see, all the time.

Also the most important edge is being able to read your opponent, but deck building is a close second