Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Kinda surprised they didn't call the cops on his sovcit license plate while they were at it. That's an unambiguously illegal (and dangerous, because you know he didn't register it properly and is probably uninsured) thing to drop another hammer on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Kinda surprised they didn't call the cops on his sovcit license plate while they were at it. That's an unambiguously illegal (and dangerous, because you know he didn't register it properly and is probably uninsured) thing to drop another hammer on.

Do not worry. It will come up in the court case because he will not be able to resist mentioning it and because the Judge will want to hit this guy with as many legal gut punches they can after dealing with the dude for five minutes.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

SovCit is that 'group' that doesn't recognize American currency and doesn't want to pay taxes and stuff, right? Or am I thinking of 3%-ers?

I don't think I've ever been this interested in getting an update.

Their beliefs and practices are so widely varied and nonsensical that its impossible to narrow down what they actually "believe."

Here is about the best write-up on what they're all about : https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

Basically though, what they "believe" is that whatever legal issue they're faced with because of their own stupidity and laziness shouldn't apply to them and they should be free to ignore because of magical legal reasons and words.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LadyPictureShow posted:

SovCit is that 'group' that doesn't recognize American currency and doesn't want to pay taxes and stuff, right? Or am I thinking of 3%-ers?

I don't think I've ever been this interested in getting an update.

sovcit stands for soverign citizen, it's not a group so much as it is a philosophy that the government obeys magic rules and if you know these magic rules you dont have to pay taxes or obey laws and all kinds of dumb poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7h7uevwxt8

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

P. Barnes is my spirit animal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I love how the Sovcit idiot scoffs at the guy because he's "Just a baliff" and the baliff rolls his eyes.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
My Best Friend[25M] told me he caught my girlfriend[22F] of 5 years cheating on me[25M], My girlfriend says my friend is lying because he tried to sleep with her, and she rejected him and threatened to tell me.

quote:

I've known Dorian since 3rd grade. He started off picking on me, but we ended up becoming friends in scouts. He has always been a playboy and a big misogynist. Lots of flaws, but he never lied to me.

I met Charlotte when I was a TA. She was beautiful, even though it was against the rules we hit it off and have been together every since.

Since a few months ago, Charlotte has been having a ladies night every couple of weeks. I trust her, so I don't mind. Last sat at 3 in the morning Dorian calls me, he tells me he just saw Charlotte making out in the back of a club. He said he might go to jail because he decked the guy for me, and He confronted Charlotte. He said that she started crying and said that it was a mistake and to please not tell me.

Charlotte got home not 20 mins later. I could tell she had been crying, when I asked her what was wrong. She said that she went to a club with her friend, and She saw dorian there. She said they were drinking, and she went to the ladies room. When she came out, he pinned her against the wall and kissed her, she said she tried to push him away, but he was too strong. She said when she got free she smacked him.

She said that Dorian got super angry, and she said that she would tell me, he just laughed and said go ahead. I wouldn't believe her over him. And if she told me she would lose me.

I don't know who to believe. Either Dorian is a monster and I just never saw it. Or Charlotte is a Monster and I just never saw it. I told her that Dorian had called, and what he told me. I called Dorian back and told him what Charlotte told me. They both stuck to thier stories.

I told Charlotte that I needed some time to think. I left and went to my moms. She was crying as I left. I feel horrible.

TL;DR My best friend Either caught my girlfriend cheating, or he assaulted her and is trying to cover it up.

Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Aren't there Sov Cits that think they are boats?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The bartender would probably remember if someone got punched if you need confirmation that the misogynist probably did something bad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Patrick Spens posted:

My Best Friend[25M] told me he caught my girlfriend[22F] of 5 years cheating on me[25M], My girlfriend says my friend is lying because he tried to sleep with her, and she rejected him and threatened to tell me.

>:(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Patrick Spens posted:

My first instinct is that they're both lying somehow, since it's /r/relationships, my second instinct is to :sever: with anyone you can casually describe as a "big misogynist" regardless of who's telling the truth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Maybe I'm delving too deep in to the mind of a monster here but if you're gonna pin a girl against the wall and kiss her, why would you pick your friend's girlfriend and not literally any other girl there by herself? A powerplay with his friend I guess?

My bet changes based on whether or not the OP told dorian about her ladies night. If he coincidentally saw her and did that it makes no sense. If he knew and could plan it then it's anyone's game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lonely Virgil posted:

The believe the US government treats them as boats because “Berth” and “Birth” sound the same in most American dialects.

They are phenominally stupid people.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Betting a cool hundo on both of them telling the truth and Dorian punched himself in the face.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
This is tough because on the one hand choosing to believe either version involves accepting that one of the two closest people in his life is actually a piece of poo poo that betrayed his trust and stabbed him in the back

And on the other hand he really shouldn't be surprised to find that out that the dude is a piece of poo poo.

E: I'm on TeamCharlotte

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Maybe I'm delving too deep in to the mind of a monster here but if you're gonna pin a girl against the wall and kiss her, why would you pick your friend's girlfriend and not literally any other girl there by herself? A powerplay with his friend I guess?

the guy who doesn't respect women as human beings doesn't respect his "friend" as well, i'm guessing this friendship is pretty unidirectional

Barudak posted:

The believe the US government treats them as boats because “Berth” and “Birth” sound the same in most American dialects.

They are phenominally stupid people.

it's more complicated than that, but not any less stupid. there's a few decades worth of paranoia about admiralty courts enforcing maritime law

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 6, 2017

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lonely Virgil posted:

There was a couple who covered their clothes in postage stamps, which they said made them freight and thus the equivalent of royalty because it's actually the USPS that runs the government and they worship packages or something.

The delusions tend to run along the lines of whatever their issues are. For example:

Impending criminal conviction: "You have charged the ALLCAPS CORPORATE PERSONSHIP on my berth certificate, not me the flesh and blood living man. I am not a boat toot toot."

Lost license to DUIs: "As a free man travelling on the land Black's Law Dictionary says your admiralty court does not have jurisdiction unless I am traversing waters. I am not a boat toot toot."

Impending home foreclosure/debt issues: "I will pay this with a check from the account with $640,000 in it that was made for my corporate personship when I received my berth certificate. I am not a boat toot toot."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just go to your friends attic and see if the portrait of him has a bloody nose.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
If a guy was decked inside a club both the bartender and security would know. Go to the bar, slip either one a $20 and ask them about that night. Get a story from a neutral third party. If no one was decked then Dorian is lying.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rad Russian posted:

If a guy was decked inside a club both the bartender and security would know. Go to the bar, slip either one a $20 and ask them about that night. Get a story from a neutral third party. If no one was decked then Dorian is lying.

i mean theoretically this is how you could validate it, but the guy the op acknowledges as a misogynist playboy is obviously lying, and op better apologize to his gf quick for not trusting her

like he couldn't take a picture of the gf making out with some guy, his first instinct is to invoke bro code and assault a stranger? at that point why not say you beat up all his boys too and they left the dojo club in tears swearing revenge

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

There was a couple who covered their clothes in postage stamps, which they said made them freight and thus the equivalent of royalty because it's actually the USPS that runs the government and they worship packages or something.

The delusions tend to run along the lines of whatever their issues are. For example:

Impending criminal conviction: "You have charged the ALLCAPS CORPORATE PERSONSHIP on my berth certificate, not me the flesh and blood living man. I am not a boat toot toot."

Lost license to DUIs: "As a free man travelling on the land Black's Law Dictionary says your admiralty court does not have jurisdiction unless I am traversing waters. I am not a boat toot toot."

Impending home foreclosure/debt issues: "I will pay this with a check from the account with $640,000 in it that was made for my corporate personship when I received my berth certificate. I am not a boat toot toot."

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

boner confessor posted:

sovcit stands for soverign citizen, it's not a group so much as it is a philosophy that the government obeys magic rules and if you know these magic rules you dont have to pay taxes or obey laws and all kinds of dumb poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7h7uevwxt8

My god these are beautiful. You have opened my eyes to untold wonders.

This one cracked me up too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ezWhLwoig0

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Not that anybody had to ask which side you bet on.

Either they're both lying, or the story is fake.

Barudak posted:

Just go to your friends attic and see if the portrait of him has a bloody nose.

Also, this was dumb and funny.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (25M) wife (27F) died from a heroin overdose. Her dad asked me not to tell anyone how she died, and for a year I kept the promise until I drunkingly admitted she was an addict to her sister. Turns out, her sister is an addict to, and was the person who got my wife into heroin.

My wife hid her heroin addiction from me extremely successfully, but to be fair, she only died 2 months after starting it. She would do it while I was away at work, and she would be sober by the time I was home. I didn't have a clue until I came home to her dead. There was fentanyl in the heroin she did.

The only person I told was her dad, and he right away said to never tell anyone that, ever, because his family is heavily against addiction. I was told to tell them she had a bad reaction to her allergies (she had like, dozens upon dozens of allergies) and choked to death when her airways closed. They all knew her as a girl with a lot of allergies, it was easily believable.

So I kept in contact with that family, and one day I went out to dinner with her sister and her sisters boyfriend. Boyfriend fell asleep and me and her sister had a nightcap, and I was pretty drunk at the time and we were talking about my wife and I just finally admitted the truth to her, she was a heroin addict. She just sighed and looked down and looked horribly sad suddenly. She said she knew she was a heroin addict, because she was the one who got her into heroin. She told me my wife was addicted to pills for a bit, then stole a small bump of H from her sister and then was addicted, and kept asking her sister for more and more and eventually her sister gave in and they were addicts together for a while.

I was just astounded, not only did she know that my wife was doing heroin, but she was the one who got her into it. She is also still an addict, she showed me her marks on her arms. She said her father has no clue.

I am not even sure what to do. I am very close with this family, I have been since I was 6 years old and grew up with them. In a way they are the family I never had. Its not like these people are 'just' my wifes family, I didn't even know my wife that well in the early years of growing up alongside them on our block.
So I am really confused as to what to do. Should I tell the dad? Should I keep this secret to the grave? I dont know. I really, really don't. I am very close with the dad, I babysit his kid 4 days a week (he has another kid who is 11 years old with a younger wife, his old wife died).

tl;dr: Wife died of a heroin overdose, turns out it was her sister which got her into it. I dont know whether to tell the dad or not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hugh was the first guy to ever offer me drugs ;_;

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You are 25 with no kids, why are you hanging out with married 27 year olds? Go to bars and use your mixture of youth and underlying tinge of sorrow beyond your years to destroy the dating scene in your area.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Pick posted:

Plot thickens

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pick posted:

Someone really needs to compile all the Hugh posts.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Patrick Spens posted:

If they had ladies night in a club, there's almost zero chance Charlotte wasn't wearing make up of some kind (even if it was low-key, like mascara and foundation). If she was wearing makeup, it'd be obvious if she was crying, unless she was able to wash her face and reapply in between the event and getting home, which, depending on what she was wearing, would likely be next to impossible.

But also it's like "hm who to believe, the misogynist who rushed over to tell you how he was totally just defending your honour, brah, or your girlfriend, who has never given you a reason to doubt her? Hmm, what do?"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't what the crying proves, since she's explicitly said to be crying in his account and if she was assaulted then crying would also make sense.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't what the crying proves, since she's explicitly said to be crying in his account and if she was assaulted then crying would also make sense.

Oh whoops, I misread - I thought dickhead misogyny man said she was crying but she hadn't been. In any case, my money is still on her telling the truth.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whitlam posted:

If they had ladies night in a club, there's almost zero chance Charlotte wasn't wearing make up of some kind (even if it was low-key, like mascara and foundation). If she was wearing makeup, it'd be obvious if she was crying, unless she was able to wash her face and reapply in between the event and getting home, which, depending on what she was wearing, would likely be next to impossible.

But also it's like "hm who to believe, the misogynist who rushed over to tell you how he was totally just defending your honour, brah, or your girlfriend, who has never given you a reason to doubt her? Hmm, what do?"

We should date so that I can break up with you

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Pick posted:

We should date so that I can break up with you

You'd have to find me first, and Australia is a way bigger hiding place than a truck.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Equally nice and dry, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My[22f] boyfriend[23m] is apparently a prepper/survivalist

quote:

Hi, so I'm not really sure about any of this. I've been with my boyfriend since we started senior year of university. I graduated a semester late because of some outstanding grauation requirements. He started working summer last year. We both have our own places and we both work, and we hadn't talked about moving in with each other yet. My boyfriend has some personal space issues and we always ended up staying at my place. I've only been over to my boyfriends place a couple of times and it always struck me as odd. He landed a really well paying job right out of school doing engineering and basically graduated with no loans. For some reason, which I guess I now know, he stayed in the two bed/one bath apartment he had been renting since before we met.

As far as I know, he only spends about maybe 20% of his takehome pay on living expenses and the rest goes into the ether. I know it's not my business to pry any further so I never really asked about where it was going. The only weird things that stood out to me were that he stayed in his apartment, and as soon as he graduated he purchased a brand new F-150, even though he never drives to work and prefers to walk to get his groceries and do errands on public transit.
I knew he was always into the outdoors and stuff, but nothing else besides occasionally going with him on trips. He always seemed to do it a little bit hardcore for me, but I was happy to spend time with him and nature.

The discovery I made happened on Sunday. My boyfriend lives in a 2 bedroom apartment, but I've never once seen him go in or out of the second bedroom, and the door is always locked and bolted. I tried jiggling it the first couple times I was over I admit, but it was never unlocked. I kinda just forgot about it over time. I never really spent that much time at his place anyway because it wasn't in a really safe area for a girl at night alone to walk or bike, so he never had a problem coming to mine instead.

I was in the area running some errands and I asked him if he could maybe drive me home if I could come over. He said that was fine, he just had to run an errand first with the truck before he took me home since it was in the opposite direction of where I live. I said okay and after I was over for a couple hours hanging out and stuff, he went to go run his errand and left me alone for maybe 30 or 45 minutes. I was kinda bored and didn't really feel like doing anything so I was just kinda looking at windows and munching on some snacks. I walked by the bedroom door and for some reason I just kinda reached out to the handle, and turned it.

Surprisingly, it opened and when I turned out the light I kind of did a double take. The room wasn't large by any means, maybe 6 or 7 feet by 10 feet, maybe smaller but he had it stacked with shelves on 3 sides, all covered in canned foods, what looked like water purification packages, I think I saw those meals that soldiers eat and I saw first aid kits and some boxes. The most startling thing was the fact that he had 5 rifles, I assume were AK-47s and some other gun I don't know the name of, and two handguns. Stacked below were some like, metal cans and one was partially open and had bullets inside of it.

I just kind of blankly looked for a couple of seconds at it, closed the door and just sat on his couch until he came home. I guess he immediately noticed something was up because I kinda looked I guess like a deer in headlights and I was looking at the closed door. He kinda looked back and forth at me and the door for a couple seconds then slowly shut his front door. He sat down on the couch, asked if I wanted him to drive me home, and I said okay and we left.

He texted me an hour or two after I got home and said that he was a survivalist, that he wasn't crazy or anything, and that if I wanted to know more I could ask. I said I would try and think of questions and that I needed maybe a day or two.

Well, I didn't really think about it yesterday. I just went to work and did my thing, he didn't text me or call, I guess just to give me space, and here I am today typing this out because I have no idea what to ask or what to even think. Is he crazy? Is he some sort of conspiracy theorist or thinks that the world is going to collapse or something? I have no idea. Does anyone have any light to shed on this?

I've watched the prepper show on discovery because it was kinda funny and those people were definitely crazy, but my boyfriend has never once demonstrated anything close to some of those people. He just did a few odd things that seemed just innocuous.

tl;dr- my boyfriend of almost 2 years is a survivalist, and apparently has a stockpile of food and guns in his apartment in addition to his brand-new pickup I assume he bought to use with that stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My guess: the friend is a total douche who still thinks of himself as a bro. He actually kissed the girlfriend, and sees that as him performing some kind of bro test of her loyalty. So like, it's ok for him to lie about it being someone else because in his mind the point is that she's not loyal.

As far as whether he actually assaulted the girl, ya I dunno, probably. But I just think the douche-bro logic of that lie makes sense.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Haifisch posted:

My[22f] boyfriend[23m] is apparently a prepper/survivalist

shes gonna regret dumping him when the apocalypse comes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'd rather date someone who has shelves full of creepy food and bullets than someone who has shelves full of collectible nerd toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pick posted:

I just want you to know that I picture Hugh Grant every time you talk about him and that it enriches my world