Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

sneakyfrog posted:

in the future driverless drift firmware will be the latest car scandal that your kids are doing

Fukkin driftbot in Forza 27 stole my line and called y0 mom a whore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

I work with a high school robotics team in my spare time, and one year the rules of the game (national competition) specified a linoleum playing surface, and everyone had to use the same hard plastic wheels, simulating the reduced traction that you'd get in a low-g situation (the moon).

You were still allowed to use the same electric motors as always. Our robot drew 11 kilowatts at full power and weighed 120 pounds.

That year was...entertaining.

You probably couldn’t have gotten away with this, but I’m imagining way to skirt the rules like “fan propelled” or “make a tracked vehicle”.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Platystemon posted:

You probably couldn’t have gotten away with this, but I’m imagining way to skirt the rules like “fan propelled” or “make a tracked vehicle”.

Speaking of fan propelled and skirts... Chapperal-bot anyone?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:perfect:

I really, really want to hear what kind of sound that makes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Had to use the same wheels as everyone else -- no tracks.

I don't recall the ruleset exactly, but I don't think it said that the wheels had to be driven. Theoretically you could have made a fan-propelled robot, as long as you drove it with one of the approved motors. I think a suction fan would also have been technically acceptable, though I shudder to imagine a bunch of high schoolers (1) trying to make an airtight fan duct and (2) working on a robot with a huge spinning fan in its center.

The organization (FRC) is very much like the FIA or FIM in that they ban everything interesting the following year. A couple of years ago it was advantageous to have your robot occupy one specific spot on the field for the whole match, so a team built a bot with telescoping claws that pierced the carpeted playing surface and hunkered down, preventing any other robots from knocking it out of position. Now you get a penalty for intentionally damaging the field.

Another year -- there's always been a ban on robots that split up into different parts and/or intentionally leave pieces on the field. There's also a ban on how far outside your robot's frame perimeter it is allowed to extend things like arms or poles. One year they loosened that latter requirement, so there was no limit on how big your robot could be as long as it still remained connected to the main body. One team built a robot with three sections that could be deposited at different parts on the field, each one remaining connected to the main body with a retractable steel cable, so it could turn itself into an assembly line that played several parts of the game (moving foam blocks around the field) all by itself. The team worked out an extremely complicated sequence of movements that they followed every match to avoid running over their own cables.

Fun stuff.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 10, 2017

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Bloody Pom posted:

Yeah, I would marry that car.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sagebrush posted:

You were still allowed to use the same electric motors as always. Our robot drew 11 kilowatts at full power and weighed 120 pounds.

So was your goal to go full force burnout and melt the outer layer of the wheel for sick traction ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kafouille posted:

So was your goal to go full force burnout and melt the outer layer of the wheel for sick traction ?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits .040 gigajoules per hour, you’re going to see some serious poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that an air compressor?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Is that an air compressor?

Lawnmower motor?

Anyway, proper drift cars are built as proper as any race car as Cat Interceptor (suprisingly?) is agreeing with.

If you look at the proper FD cars, none of them are slammed with crazy camber like the scene car. Alignment and they can grip as well as anything.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
https://drivetribe.com/p/this-116l-..._source=organic

11.6L big block rotary anyone?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Since we're talking about awesome drift cars, i'm just gonna do a dump of YouTube videos of some awesome drifty business:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obUnEqsTmLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geepgs7ILcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLE4rGnaOgY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peXAs5ffIh4

Say what you will, but when Forsberg can initiate a drift at 150mph and still maintain control, that's a pretty good sign that car is well built.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

"What the hell is a big block ro-" :stonk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bloody Pom posted:

A very angry sound spelled with lots of Rs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But JDM style drifting has always been about the spectacle tho as well as car control?
If you're talking about the D1 kind of stuff, then yes, I can see why you'd think that.

I regard this stuff as like dirt jumps for bikes. Go and have a laugh somewhere with your mates, because it's fun, even if you're rubbish at it. Beyond that, I think it all gets a bit silly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

D C posted:

Anyway, proper drift cars are built as proper as any race car as Cat Interceptor (suprisingly?) is agreeing with.

Surprisingly.....? I've always said drift cars are awesome with great engineering - Also......

quote:

If you look at the proper FD cars, none of them are slammed with crazy camber like the scene car. Alignment and they can grip as well as anything.

Its not the grip that marks drift cars are superb race cars TBH, its what Colin Chapman said - Handling is what happens when the grip runs out. Drift cars REALLY handle well, you cant back it in with a lovely handling car. Plus yeah they do also grip drat well too.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Most drift cars are in fact extremely good track cars with ridiculously good suspension engineering. To be able to put a car on the dot with the rears blazing takes a very well sorted chassis that also crosses over to just plain going fast around a corner.

This - if you start delving into it, there's a lot of really sophisticated stuff going on everywhere in those cars. The only real suspension compromise not suited for circuit stuff is all of the optimizations to get huge amounts of steering angle. But the powertrains are honestly pretty cool too... yeah, there's the big turbo V8s, but also all of the tricks the smaller "more traditional" engines are pulling to have a responsive but high power engine. Nitrous for spool assistance is a funny and good idea, and there's a few cars (in FD anyway) that are using WRC style air bypass antilag - not just throttle kickers, but routing air around the engine into the turbo manifold. Combine that with all of the other optimizations... keeping all the delicate stuff protected, shoehorning quickchange differentials modified for IRS in, so on and so forth, the tech is pretty darn cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There is a point where we should have stopped and we have clearly passed it.

BUT LET'S KEEP GOING AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
No retreat, no surrender

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Has anyone reposting robodrifting yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opsmd5yuBF0

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I find this to be fairly awesome. Many time NASA Champion Dave Schotz misses qualifying due to mechanical issues. Starts in back of the pack at Thunderhill for the real race.. is in 1st place in less than 3 minutes from the green flag. ST-4 National Championship race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCMacEY3Smo

The Locator fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 10, 2017

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A few local guys have traveled to the other side of the world to take part in the WTAC. It is a 700 rwhp Exige.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

DoLittle posted:

A few local guys have traveled to the other side of the world to take part in the WTAC. It is a 700 rwhp Exige.

Oh poo poo, WTAC posted a picture of that thing sitting in its trailer with just the nose visible recently, I was thinking it was some sort of heavily modified Corvette. That car looks the business, it's wicked cool.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
This is another WTAC contestant from this part of Europe. An R8 with 1:1 power to weight ratio. Not as cool as the Lotus in my humble opinion, but still quite neat.

Edit: Quite a spoiler

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 10, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

There you go.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There you go.

:ocelot: niiiice

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think the 968 has a decent shot of winning it this year. On the other hand it's coming together at the last minute with no testing of the new engine or aero. The new engine, btw, is a billet 4.0 inline 4. 116mm bores!

It would be cool to see Under win finally but that car seems to have hit a wall while everyone else is going to go faster. I'm sort of expecting it to have Andrew's new front end like Andy Forrest's Impreza. Curious to see how that car holds up this weekend; i suspect there will be issues with the front wheel chain drive system.

Fwd is going to be good to. Will Au-Yeung from Canada has a fast, well put together car and he crushed Rado's record at superlap last year.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 10, 2017

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

jamal posted:

I think the 968 has a decent shot of winning it this year. On the other hand it's coming together at the last minute with no testing of the new engine or aero. The new engine, btw, is a billet 4.0 inline 4. 116mm bores!

That engine has also been made not far from where I live. Apparently they’ve just got it running. Cutting it pretty close with the event.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DoLittle posted:

This is another WTAC contestant from this part of Europe. An R8 with 1:1 power to weight ratio. Not as cool as the Lotus in my humble opinion, but still quite neat.

Edit: Quite a spoiler

The idea of a 1:1 power ratio makes no sense to me. What are the units? 1hp:lb? (And if so, what kind of hp—PS or BHP) 1kW:kg? 1hp:kg? 1kW:lb? It's just as meaningless and arbitrary as every other kind of bench racing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

The idea of a 1:1 power ratio makes no sense to me. What are the units? 1hp:lb? (And if so, what kind of hp—PS or BHP) 1kW:kg? 1hp:kg? 1kW:lb? It's just as meaningless and arbitrary as every other kind of bench racing.

1KG to 1HP.
It makes 1300-1400hp and weighs 1299kg.

It's a name for fun, relax.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 11, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Uhh 2.2lb to hp :911:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

1bhp/ton.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is close, 1.56hp/ton.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Most drift cars are in fact extremely good track cars with ridiculously good suspension engineering. To be able to put a car on the dot with the rears blazing takes a very well sorted chassis that also crosses over to just plain going fast around a corner.

guy who owns ebisu circuit uses the same s15 for rally/drift/time attack with different a suspension setup and wheels swapped in

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BlackMK4 posted:

1KG to 1HP.
It makes 1300-1400hp and weighs 1299kg.

It's a name for fun, relax.

Ok but that's a stupid ratio because it's half metric and half imperial.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

drgitlin posted:

Ok but that's a stupid ratio because it's half metric and half imperial.

Wait til you find out how many Newton-feet of torque it makes!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If it can't be measured in mile-pounds it's not worth my time. :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No no no, it's horse power per tun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pound-talents.