Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And it's Pratchett, so it's not like they can make it any worse by adapting it.

Excuse me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The_Doctor posted:

Excuse me?

Stop. That's exactly what he wants from you. Don't give him the satisfaction.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I took one look, heard the words "Well, my little Bro-" and paused the video on the spot.

Is this actually going to be what it sounds like, or should I continue?

Yes, but no. Just continue watching it.

Also watch her other videos about Disney and Star Wars stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGRmTmA6znk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9vg92-jfFc

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Allow me instead to remind you that Fun and Fancy Free features an intermission with these:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I took one look, heard the words "Well, my little Bro-" and paused the video on the spot.

There are sincere posts in the comments that make it even funnier.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
[quote="“paradoxGentleman”" post="“477271505”"]
Stop. That’s exactly what he wants from you. Don’t give him the satisfaction.
[/quote]

You're right, I should be able to spot bait by now.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Excuse me?

Pratchett was not a very good writer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

You're right, I should be able to spot bait by now.

There’s a reason he’s the only person I’ve ever ignored.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Pratchett isn't a great prose writer but that's not incredibly important in an animated adaptation. He's also pretty consciously political in most of his work, and Disney could absolutely gently caress that up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And the hackneyed premises wouldn't raise an eyebrow. The only way is up!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phylodox posted:

There’s a reason he’s the only person I’ve ever ignored.

Oh good call.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

I'm not surprised considering that its been pushed back a few times since its announcement. Now we get to guess what sequel/spinoff they're going to hastily push into production. I think it will be the Porg movie, with an Olaf short attached to it.

The "short" will be a full hour and be two thirds of the run time of the Porg movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

the Porg movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J07mmOlfGs

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

mycot posted:

Someone called [Zootopia] the least talked about movie to make 1 billion dollars and that's about right.
I've never heard anyone call it that, but it's not wrong, is it? I mean, there was some merchandising, but at this point it feels like the bulk of it is Japan-only for some reason. Hell, there are barely any official T-shirts for the film...

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Allow me instead to remind you that Fun and Fancy Free features an intermission with these:

They also released a version without those intermissions but included Ludwig Von Drake instead, to the point they reused some of the animation regarding the giant character too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

paradoxGentleman posted:

Having seen Song of the South the mystique surrounding that movie is pretty hilarious since the live-action bits just as bad and superflous as the ones in this and other movies that contemporary with it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The funny thing is that Song of the South is comparably less racially insensitive than The Reluctant Dragon, but the latter is the one that Disney was totally confident licensing to Netflix for streaming.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's more about the reputation than the content.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Last Unicorn is on Netflix. Watch it if you haven't. It's melancholy and weird.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's pretty funny but the joke wears itself out after the first few minutes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Last Unicorn rules.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Love that movie. Gonna have to watch it again soon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

The Last Unicorn is on Netflix. Watch it if you haven't. It's melancholy and weird.

Thank you for convincing me to cancel my Netflix account tomorrow, after I finish the Last Unicorn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Thank you for convincing me to cancel my Netflix account tomorrow, after I finish the Last Unicorn.

Lots of good TLU cels on Ebay. I'm okay saying that since I already bought the ones I wanted.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

K. Waste posted:

The Last Unicorn rules.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love that the film opens with a golden glen juxtaposed with a sorrowful wood, then zooms in on the sorrowful wood. Guess what kids, you've just learned how films foreshadow you're going to have a bad time

Pick posted:

Lots of good TLU cels on Ebay. I'm okay saying that since I already bought the ones I wanted.

I can't look at a cel and feel young again, in spite of myself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I use one or two as legit wall decoration, I have one of the Unicorn from the beginning when the tapestry comes alive that's sufficiently classy to hang out in my hallway :shrug:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
HOW DARE YOU!? HOW DARE YOU COME TO ME NOW, when I am THIS! :gonk:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What you don't have several cels of the butterfly as it sings extremely dated musical phrases?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

What you don't have several cels of the butterfly as it sings extremely dated musical phrases?

As a child I absolutely hated that butterfly and wanted him to die, because he cannot give a direct answer and is just fuckin around. Hated that butterfly, avoidant little poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

As a child I absolutely hated that butterfly and wanted him to die, because he cannot give a direct answer and is just fuckin around. Hated that butterfly, avoidant little poo poo.

It's not voiced by Christopher Lee or Jeff Bridges, so its already an uphill climb to even be a passable voice in this movie.

Mia Farrow absolutely nails sounding like at any time she'll just eat a lot of horse sized sleeping pills and end it all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Safety regulations at carnivals seem higher in this fantasy land than the real world.

Carnies appear to be healthier and cleaner than the real world too.

Edit: THAT SNAKE CAN JUST CRAWL OUT THE BARS WHAT ARE YOU DOING MOMMA FORTUNA

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I just caught up to the Gigantic news and A) is the Gigantic cameo in Zootopia the only time Disney has shut down a movie after referencing it in another movie B) I would pay an inexorable amount of money to tour the Disney vault and see everything else they shelved over the years C) I would make enough money to do that by betting my life savings we get 2ootopia by the end of 2020. It made a billion dollars. The only movie to make a billion while not being a sequel or getting a sequel is Titanic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Please. Zoo2pia.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Safety regulations at carnivals seem higher in this fantasy land than the real world.

Carnies appear to be healthier and cleaner than the real world too.

Edit: THAT SNAKE CAN JUST CRAWL OUT THE BARS WHAT ARE YOU DOING MOMMA FORTUNA

The Mommy Fortuna quote on the idea of a legacy was formative for me.

Any time I buy something rare and valuable the Haggard bit goes off in my head. "I must have them! I must have all of them, all there are!--for nothing makes me happy... but their shining... and their grace."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

The Mommy Fortuna quote on the idea of a legacy was formative for me.

Any time I buy something rare and valuable the Haggard bit goes off in my head. "I must have them! I must have all of them, all there are!--for nothing makes me happy... but their shining... and their grace."

The entire film is less a story about finding unicorns and more a series of vignettes about different interpretations of legacy.

Also Jeff Bridges sounds a hell of a lot like Frank Welker and it is weirding me out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wish more people would woo me with giant slaying and fatal riddles.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

The entire film is less a story about finding unicorns and more a series of vignettes about different interpretations of legacy.

Oh, absolutely. It's completely essential to every character arc (and it's a character-based film)

Schmendrick: How can I be known and remembered as powerful and great, especially given I suck?
Molly Grue: What am I now that I am old and bedraggled? Am I already spent and gone?
Mommy Fortuna: I am immortal in that I live on as a hated memory of immortal things, all that matters is it lasts forever.
Prince Lir: Am I a hero? What do my deeds mean and does status translate into what I desire?
King Haggard: lmao duh
Captain Cully: I might suck rear end but I'm the REAL DEAL and that matters somehow!
Butterfly: i will spend my entire life spewing memes without context*

*this film predates 4chan

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I have never seen The Last Unicorn, but now knowing it's on Netflix, I think I'm obligated to amend this this weekend or something.

Pick posted:

Please. Zoo2pia.
Zoo2polis in Europe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also it's important to note that the boozer skeleton was voiced by the dude who played Odo on Deep Space Nine.