Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Let's not forget the thoroughly underwhelming ROH tour of Takaaki Watanabe who then returned to NJPW as...... EVIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL :hellyeah:

I'm hoping Jay White is gonna be Switchblade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Let's not forget the thoroughly underwhelming ROH tour of Takaaki Watanabe who then returned to NJPW as...... EVIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL :hellyeah:

I'm hoping Jay White is gonna be Switchblade

Sami is booked the same day in America as Power Struggle. Personally was told Switchblade wasn't Sami.

Meltzer in the new Observer wrote that the plan originally was for Callihan and Ibushi to be in the NJPW Tag League.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

Here's a guy who totally benefited from right place, right time. Watanabe was always a good wrestler, but never really connected with crowds and was kinda floundering as Guy Who Exists. He then gets a cartoonishly goth gimmick literally called EVIL, who carries around a plastic scythe, and on paper that should be laughed out of every building in Japan.

Yet, he fully bought into the character, got put with LIJ at the exact moment where that act got white-hot, and his ring skill rapidly improved to main-event level. He's pretty much a made man now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

Sami is booked the same day in America as Power Struggle. Personally was told Switchblade wasn't Sami.

Meltzer in the new Observer wrote that the plan originally was for Callihan and Ibushi to be in the NJPW Tag League.

That's a weird loving team

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Every time I see Sami Callihan I get more baffled that NXT missed the boat on him. He's a loving natural.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

Every time I see Sami Callihan I get more baffled that NXT missed the boat on him. He's a loving natural.

He's never really connected with me but I really enjoyed his interview on Observer Live today where he recounted the way his NXT run went.

"You're too aggressive."
Adjusts style
"Your problem is you don't show enough aggression."

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

That's a weird loving team

Maybe Sami is doing that stupid cat gimmick or a variation on it to promote the Tiger Mask cartoon.

Benne posted:

Nah he's a goober.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

He's never really connected with me but I really enjoyed his interview on Observer Live today where he recounted the way his NXT run went.

"You're too aggressive."
Adjusts style
"Your problem is you don't show enough aggression."

Maybe the timing just never worked out? IIRC Sami signed with NXT back when they were accepting indie darlings, but not really letting them be them yet. So he farted around barely being on TV, with a half-assed hacker/punk gimmick, and left the company without doing anything of note. Since then, he's become one of the hottest indie acts around, while NXT built its product around former indie guys keeping their indie names and gimmicks.

Here's just a quick example of how times have changed: In 2014, they brought in KENTA, changed his name and didn't let him do his popular moves because Punk and Bryan did them. In 2017, they brought in Adam Cole, let him keep his name and popular catchphrase despite it being a Jericho staple, and immediately pushed him to the main event level.

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 12, 2017

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jericho sucks and looks like a recently divorced single mom tryin to land a new man. Adam Cole is handsome again now that he got his skull cysts drained.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rovert posted:

I was going to say I missed that and then I realized today's thursday and a new issue's out

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If switchblade's not Sami than I don't see how he could'n't be Jay White, especially since this is the exact pattern as the vignettes leading to Hiromu's return last year.

They obviously have plans for him given the hype and the long beach booking, and the equivalent angle last year led to a big dome title match for the returning YL. If Tana beats Ibushi I wonder if they're gonna give him an IC shot right out of the gate. No other obvious challengers unless the Shibata theory's true.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Please don't return Shibata

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/918473777520037888

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

switchblade is a fine gimmick for sami who already lives and breathes a certain mid-american scumminess. it's not at all COOL but it would be authentic, which is the next best thing. it would be cringe-worthy for white-meat jay white and his bad haircut

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

switchblade is a fine gimmick for sami who already lives and breathes a certain mid-american scumminess. it's not at all COOL but it would be authentic, which is the next best thing. it would be cringe-worthy for white-meat jay white and his bad haircut

It's not what I'd do either, but it's no worse on paper than "let's make takaaki watanabe our version of the undertaker when he gets back", and that ended up working out ok.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

many elements of the EVIL gimmick limit his potential and will need to evolve before he's ready for the upper echelon

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

many elements of the EVIL gimmick limit his potential and will need to evolve before he's ready for the upper echelon

agreed 100%, but it's mostly worked to get him over to a upper midcardish level capable of being in the main event of a Sumo Hall show without it bombing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

everything is already evil how much further can you go

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'm just getting into NJPW but why is that? The EVIL gimmick wouldn't get an Okada length run at the moment but it would be interesting to see him win the title and hold it for a bit.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i will not accept evil without his laser pointer fingers, plastic scythe and tarp cloak

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd love to see an EVIL Tokyo Dome entrance but I don't think he could do 45 minutes, much less a Meltzer popper.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think EVIL has solidified his ceiling as an upper-midcard gatekeeper type (a la Goto or Elgin), which is still a really good spot in NJPW. Would love to see him get a run with the NEVER belt sometime next year.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
EVIL will be IWGP Heavyweight Champion before Goto

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

checksin posted:

The heat death of the universe will occur before Goto becomes IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Goto is a solid if unspectacular worker.

YOSHI-HASHI is the Dolph Ziggler of NJPW.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Benne posted:

I think EVIL has solidified his ceiling as an upper-midcard gatekeeper type (a la Goto or Elgin), which is still a really good spot in NJPW. Would love to see him get a run with the NEVER belt sometime next year.

He's been back from excursion for two years and has shown steady improvement in that timeframe. Plenty of time to improve further, not everyone gets it immediately like Okada. Look at how long it took Naito to become a real ME guy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Benne posted:

Hiromu is kind of a fascinating example of how much a guy can reinvent himself on excursion. He started off doing the Young Lions thing with an all-generic character as per tradition, went to Mexico and worked under a mask as Kamaitachi, lost the mask during an instant-classic feud with Dragon Lee, kept wrestling as Kamaitachi for a bit, and then came back to Japan working his real name but with the new Time Bomb gimmick, which he later tweaked into a caretaker of lazy stuffed cats.

(deep breath)

Dude's only 27, by the way.
I don't know why I never thought of it but yeah, Hiromu was Kamaitachi and it never even crossed my mind, I guess that's how much he changed when he came back

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Jack Anderson posted:

Ziggler is a better wrestler than YOSHI-HASHI.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jack Anderson posted:

I can't honestly think of any Yoshi-Hashi matches that are interesting, even when he's getting battered.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Under the vegetable posted:

Ziggler is a better wrestler than YOSHI-HASHI.

Such great heights

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

what happened to definitely juice robinson's nose? is he okay?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

checksin posted:

EVIL and I have something in common!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is Global Wars gonna be on World?

If yes, follow-up question, anything worth watching from day 1?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/D_TaPla/status/918924199430832128

okada as rey <3

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

2/5 Daryl did not replace chewie

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

cams posted:

okada as rey <3

Meh, Okada's hotter.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/toshanshuinLA/status/918945035349086210

Can anyone in Japan confirm whether or not the Japanese press are saying ROH is the reason NJPW is so good?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

does anyone in Japan even associate the Bullet Club with ROH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Isn't The Bullet Club literally a Japanese property, which is why The Elite exist?

• Locked thread