Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Darkness” refers to literal darkness of the image, while “grimness” refers to the degree to which the audience-identification character enjoys what they do.

That’s why Tony Stark can commit technicolor genocide on a regular basis, and you can have a movie literally called Thor The Dark World - both without complaint.

Whoa Mr. Big Brain over here figured out "grimdark" is a tonal thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Shadow should be in a DC movie. They've got the rights to the character.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of darkseed?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Luuke knows

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Lobok posted:

Given what we've seen of him so far I hope the joke would be more like "I could rock this dig it".
:colbert:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Whoa Mr. Big Brain over here figured out "grimdark" is a tonal thing!

Neither of those things refer to the tone of a film.

Even in terms of color theory, the level of darkness is shade, not tone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

Joe Abercrombie is not grimdark. Not saying it doesn't get grim sometimes but it has tons of humor cool inversions of the genre.

What inversions are there? Aside from 'everyone is bad instead of only one side being bad'?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

porfiria posted:

I don't know the first couple Harry Potter movies are utter garbage, the Cuaron one is great (duh), 4 is really bad. 5 on are hit and miss but they're generally all right.

The fourth movie just feels weird because I'm curious if someone who hadn't read the book would have any idea what the hell was going on in it. Whereas someone who read the book is just going "Huh, where's <X>? What happened to <Y>, why are they not talking about <Z>?"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All the Harry Potter movies are "bad"

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Does that mean they're just bad or

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm predicting a scene where Aquamam wears a bright orange shirt and either he or someone else comments on how stupid a bright orange shirt looks.

this is the type of ironic detachment i despise about marvel movies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

got any sevens posted:

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of darkseed?

Whoever killed Rita knows.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Harry Potter 4 is an absolutely lush film, the first one where it feels like every penny spent is up on screen.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

What inversions are there? Aside from 'everyone is bad instead of only one side being bad'?

Inversion was probably the wrong word cause I don't talks no goods. I guess I mean it plays with conventions.

The brave noble knight who is actually a coward who only wins fights accidentally.
The kindly old wizard is actually a homicidal maniac with a temper.
The stoic warrior who wants to do good but tends to go into rages and kill his friends.
The hardened torturer actually has a heart.

I'm sure there's more but I haven't read it in a while.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

porfiria posted:

I don't know the first couple Harry Potter movies are utter garbage, the Cuaron one is great (duh), 4 is really bad. 5 on are hit and miss but they're generally all right.

4 is the best because of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoD2147Fik

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chucat posted:

The fourth movie just feels weird because I'm curious if someone who hadn't read the book would have any idea what the hell was going on in it. Whereas someone who read the book is just going "Huh, where's <X>? What happened to <Y>, why are they not talking about <Z>?"

I don't think this is true. It's not that complicated a story. The film flows fine as it is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chucat posted:

4 was the second HP movie I saw after watching the first in college and writing the series off. So not only had I not read the books but I hadn't seen the previous two films. It's actually what got me interested in the whole series.

I think the only confusing part was Sirius Black showing up super briefly in the fire without being established, otherwise everything else was pretty clear from context or simply explained.

The guys haircuts were really lovely in retrospect but I think helped visually sell the "they're growing up and dealing with scarier poo poo" aspect. I guess they could have gone with lovely teenage facial hair which would have been hilarious.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

UmOk posted:

Inversion was probably the wrong word cause I don't talks no goods. I guess I mean it plays with conventions.

The brave noble knight who is actually a coward who only wins fights accidentally.
The stoic warrior who wants to do good but tends to go into rages and kill his friends.

That's Monty Python's Holy Grail.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Shadow should be in a DC movie. They've got the rights to the character.
A Shadow/Phantom/Strange universe that acknowledges all the uncomfortable poo poo and plays around with it without simply whitewashing it would be fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Timeless Appeal posted:

A Shadow/Phantom/Strange universe that acknowledges all the uncomfortable poo poo and plays around with it without simply whitewashing it would be fun.

This sounds like it would turn into Defenders of the Earth.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

porfiria posted:

5 is the one where the school gets taken over by some lady from the wizard council, right? Because of the Harry Potter movies I've seen that one is my least favourite by a country mile.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's 5. 2 and 5 are rear end, the rest are decent enough to rewatch

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I like the one with the grim reapers and Gary oldman. Well that's my story.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

got any sevens posted:

Yeah that's 5. 2 and 5 are rear end, the rest are decent enough to rewatch

5 was weird because it was the longest book by a bit and the shortest movie by a bunch, like significantly shorter than even the first two movies. So even getting the basic plot points in there left you with a crammed and rushed movie and you still missed out on a ton of the fun little extra details and unimportant but still cool stuff that really sells the "teenagers going to a school learning magic" hijinks that a lot of the audience watches (and goes to Universal Studios' Harry Potter world, and spends a bunch of money on merch) for.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

2 is such an unimaginative movie, like how did Chris Columbus get away with evidently not giving a poo poo about anything.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So what are you guys Harry Potter preferred watch order?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really wish Joe Dante would have replaced Chris Columbus on the first two films. They wouldn't have been great movies, but at least more fun to look at.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

josh04 posted:

2 is such an unimaginative movie, like how did Chris Columbus get away with evidently not giving a poo poo about anything.

Outside of maybe the first Home Alone, when did Columbus give a poo poo about anything he directed? The guy is the master of boring.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

Functionally, narratively, those things work exactly like the thing they're inverting. The noble knight still wins the tournament and leads his armies to victory, he's just a puppet. The wizard is still always right and defeats his rival. The stoic warrior still defeats his rivals and unites the north just in time to counter the invasion. It's just that nobody does anything sincerely and the book itself works hard to maintain a cynical detachment, but we still hit all the conventional beats of the story. He's a good writer, and I read five of his books before I got sick of his style, but it's cynical take on the same fairly standard story.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Timby posted:

Outside of maybe the first Home Alone, when did Columbus give a poo poo about anything he directed? The guy is the master of boring.

The first Harry Potter is super-safe in all its choices but it's at least a lavish spread of detailed sets, costumes and character actors. The second one consists entirely of Dumbledore, Snape and McGonagall looking surprised in various identical stone corridors. The absolute nadir is when Harry experiences a vision of the past and the only difference between the past and the present is a sepia tint and some dutch angles.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Wow there were 8 Harry Potter films.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nine if you count the one about learning to love american wizard fascism.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Harry Potter Cinematic Universe is both wide and deep.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Schwarzwald posted:

The Harry Potter Cinematic Universe is both wide and deep.

J K Rowling's Wizarding World.

I hear the villain of the next film is called Jeremiah Corvin.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire is one of the all time greats

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm still mad that the Golden Compass movie was so loving bad.

The His Dark Materials series is leagues better than Harry Potter. :colbert:

I would go so far to call The Golden Compass film an atrocity.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PriorMarcus posted:

J K Rowling's Wizarding World.

I hear the villain of the next film is called Jeremiah Corvin.

The new unforgivable curse is 'raiseth taxeth'

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still mad that the Golden Compass movie was so loving bad.

The His Dark Materials series is leagues better than Harry Potter. :colbert:

I would go so far to call The Golden Compass film an atrocity.

Totes, my man. It's like the cinematic equivalent of Auschwitz.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

josh04 posted:

Fantastic Beasts is part of the Harry Potter Extended Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

josh04 posted:

I saw Fantastic Beasts for the first time a week ago and yeah, it does lean heavy into that doesn't it? The most unbelievable thing in that film was a woman of color, being the president of all magic or whatever the gently caress in the US, being a social conservative. Unless the characterization in the book was different.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Fantastic Beasts is part of the Harry Potter Extended Universe.

I think they said there are five more films planned. Yep.

• Locked thread