Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

echopapa posted:

Or following the frozen yogurt model by allowing people to build their own burritos and charging them by the ounce?

I basically let people mix and match the toppings from anything that I have. I'll have a scale ready and they just have to just meet a certain weight in order to qualify for the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do y'all have a way to explain to your kids what it is you do? My kid is super upset that Im leaving for some Dallas hearings next week. Beyond "daddy has to go return property from private ownership to the bosom of the State," I mean.

I go to court and talk to the bangers*

*gavel bangers, i.e. judges

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do y'all have a way to explain to your kids what it is you do? My kid is super upset that Im leaving for some Dallas hearings next week. Beyond "daddy has to go return property from private ownership to the bosom of the State," I mean.

My big trick is not having kids.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

"Sometimes bad people try to fib and say they have a bobo when they don't really have a bobo, and I make sure they tell the truth and then go to bed without dinner."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Daddy is a writer like Dr. Seuss, except daddy doesn't make up pretend animals and my writing makes people cry

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm leaving for a month soon. Hopefully my kids remember me.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sometimes daddy gets in a room with people and a lady who writes everything down, and then daddy tells people the police will put them in jail if they lie, then asks them questions about their booties and how many times a week the mommies and daddies touch each others private parts

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

On Friday mornings daddy sits in court and reads a forum full of weirdos poopoo-posting about their cats and BBQ meat while he waits for the banger to let bad people pretend that they are doing good things by transferring money from people who have it to people who want it

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You know how sometimes daddy steps on the dog's foot by accident and she cries and everyone feels bad? Daddy's work is like that except at work daddy steps on people and only they cry and nobody really feels bad

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You know how sometimes daddy steps on the dog's foot by accident and she cries and everyone feels bad? Daddy's work is like that except at work daddy steps on people and only they cry and nobody really feels bad

New thread title

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

New thread title

You're the russian lawyer right? Surely you tell your kids really special and heartwarming things

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I generally tell people this:

I'm not really good at anything. I don't have any special skills. But I'm really good at reading, writing, and talking to people. And so that's what I do. I read, I write, and I talk to people, because when people do it for themselves, they generally get too emotionally invested and do a bad job of it.

Knowing the law is the easy part of what I do. Counseling, financial planning, advising, and negotiating are the hard parts.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
One of my wife's good friends told us last night she's finally going to take the lsat after years of putting it off.

so her idea is to go from a nice job at the Dept of labor making like 80k at age 35 to ???? ???

and since she wants to go to school part time and keep working that means only applying to Chicago schools ranked below 60

I'm trying not to scream

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You're the russian lawyer right? Surely you tell your kids really special and heartwarming things

I'm in my early 20s*, so it's someone else's kids for the foreseeable future

*possible due to the way the education system is structured

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
I took the LSAT, but I can't imagine why!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nurabsal posted:

I took the LSAT, but I can't imagine why!

https://youtu.be/NUNdYoy1AUM

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Kids fuckin suck anyway and the sooner they face reality and hate their lives the better

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Yeah, I like the other stuff I have lined up right now. I might consider doing a deferment somewhere if I get a killer score. If I ever do get a J.D. my experiences working in local gov (criminal justice statistics) guarantee I would want to do it like the guy below tho :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry-zp8KUmlE

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nurabsal posted:

Yeah, I like the other stuff I have lined up right now. I might consider doing a deferment somewhere if I get a killer score. If I ever do get a J.D. my experiences working in local gov (criminal justice statistics) guarantee I would want to do it like the guy below tho :getin:

Red Pill Foley

Open your eyes

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I told him I'm going to Dallas to build highways so the cars can go faster. That satisfied him.

For half his life he thought I was a pilot because I was always getting on airplanes.

In Phil style though:

Daddy tells people they have to share their houses with everyone else, and then after they share the house a big bulldozer knocks it down and makes it really flat and puts a beautiful road on top of it. Then the person who shared their home cries in a room with a banger and asks him to give him lots of monies. Daddy tells the banger the house was really bad and shouldn't get any extra monies. Daddy always wins.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

nurabsal posted:

sweaty man sits alone and yells to no one - the solo story

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

terrorist ambulance posted:

sweaty man sits alone and yells to no one - the solo story

A friend of mine who went solo awhile back was giving me tips on which podcasts best simulate human interaction to combat loneliness in the office. It was the saddest conversation I had all week.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Daddy helps make sure poor people stay poor for ever and ever.

Daddy helps people who hurt little kids.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Every single one of my real life friends with kids have, intentionally or not, convinced me that kids are a mistake.
OTOH, it sure would be nice to have someone who feels obligated to help me if I live to like 90 and get dementia.

One of my co-workers had to explain his job to his daughter's pre-school class a few weeks ago and was at a loss as how to describe what we do. gently caress, I don't even know how to describe what I do to other lawyers other than basically kind of in-house counsel for the state, kinda.

edit:
I deal with the goddamn clients so the AGs doesn't have to. I have people skills!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

"You know those bankers who tanked the financial system and made everyone poor? Daddy helps make sure they don't have to pay out if their investments go bad."

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Throatwarbler are you in law school at UBC?

(I am a 2012 UBC law grad and can provide tailored advice as to how hosed you are in the Vancouver legal jobs and socializing market)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

"You know how we read about those people who are trying to leave their countries because of wars or because there aren't good jobs they can do to support their families? Well, Daddy helps those people to come to this country where they can be safe and make money and live in a house like we do.

But only if they pay Daddy's company thousands of dollars."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tipps posted:

Throatwarbler are you in law school at UBC?

(I am a 2012 UBC law grad and can provide tailored advice as to how hosed you are in the Vancouver legal jobs and socializing market)

No, I'm in the US.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Daddy helps make the world as lovely as it thinks it is.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My daughter’s young enough that I can just tell her I am abandoning her to go cause human suffering all day. If she learns how to understand words I might need to change my script...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm glad I don't have to tell my kid im off to go take homes from people and give them to banks

now I just say I surf the web

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

they're like a programmer but for contracts

you tell them you want to buy a company, they write a contract, and then in ten years it turns out they missed a semicolon and whoops you dont actually own anything

I'm now in-house, and we're about to file a pretty big lawsuit based on a contract my former firm negotiated on my current employer's behalf. I have no doubt when I call up the attorneys that negotiated the agreement at my old firm to discuss they're going to break into a cold sweat.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
From the /r/relationships thread

maskenfreiheit posted:

Me, [30m]. When I was younger I let my mom [55f] pressure me into going to law school and it has ruined me financially. She doesn't really see the problem. Having trouble dealing the resentment.Non-Romantic
(self.relationships)

quote:
I had graduated college and was working in an office. I wasn't using my degree, nor was I making a lot of money, but I was making enough to support myself and I was supporting myself in a reasonable, fine way. My mom, however, seemed to feel as if my position was beneath me and she really pushed hard for me to go to law school, to the point where I didn't feel comfortable saying no. I realize now that I should have, but I didn't.

Law school went okay. I got mediocre grades because I hated the material, hated the environment, and was not passionate about what I was learning. The wrench in the works also came at about this time. The thing which I am truly passionate about in life is - [don't roll your eyes] - marijuana. I've read all about how to grow it, its scientific properties, etc. I know you're thinking I'm some pipe-dream stoner but I really, really want to stress how serious this is to me.

When I was first applying to law school, marijuana had barely been legal in Colorado for a few months, and it seemed like a one-off thing that wouldn't go anywhere. However, as I proceeded in law school, the mainstream acceptance of marijuana has only grown.

I eventually finished law school, but with middling employment prospects and still not an ounce of passion for the field. My student debt is substantial, north of $100,000. It makes me physically ill to realize that in an alternate reality where I stood up to my mother, I could be pursuing the career I love, living the lifestyle I've always wanted, and be debt-free. Instead, I'm stuck [at least for several years] in a career that I viscerally despise, an unwilling participant in a social circle I cannot stand, and am buried in nearly insurmountable debt. My mom refuses to acknowledge my feelings on the matter. Any time I bring it up, she simply gets indignant and tells me to focus on finding a lawyer job. I've told her over and over I would rather be a marijuana farmer but she can't/won't internalize that fact.

I know that it is ultimately my responsibility to repair my own life, and I must dig out from underneath this on my own to build the kind of life I desire. But in the meantime, how can I manage the resentment that I feel? Are my feelings even valid?

TL;DR: When I was younger and had no spine, I let my mom pressure me into going to law school, which I feel has been a huge mistake. Suffering from extreme resentment and looking for how to move forward.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm now in-house, and we're about to file a pretty big lawsuit based on a contract my former firm negotiated on my current employer's behalf. I have no doubt when I call up the attorneys that negotiated the agreement at my old firm to discuss they're going to break into a cold sweat.

I bet you find out that their recollection is that was what you intended all along

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Dude should go into weed law.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Dude should go into weed law.

Whenever I read about weed I always think of it like actual weeds. Garden variety. Dandelions and poo poo.

Only time I ever saw it was when I was at the district prosecutor's. Never smoked or even been near or friends with anyone who did. It's pretty much not a thing here.

Or I'm very uncool, which is definitely a reasonable suspicion.

Reading about weed culture and stuff is so weird.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I think ya'll are more into homemade hooch based on my norweigian friends. (And I don't blame them. Getting drunk in trondhiem was the most expensive thing I've done, and I went to american law school).
One of them could really benefit from some weed though.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

I bet you find out that their recollection is that was what you intended all along

It's actually more complicated than simple interpretation - the breaching party is likely going to argue that the contract was illegal, so we need confirmation from my old firm of whether they looked into this specific issue.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 16, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I went to law school, and what my lousy office job was like, and how my mom was occupied and all trying to rasie me, and all that Failure to Launch kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, having to work and be grown up bores me, and in the second place, weed. If I could just, like, BE weed, that would be, like being weed and growing weed and growing into weed and flowering into weed and…weeeeeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

I think ya'll are more into homemade hooch based on my norweigian friends. (And I don't blame them. Getting drunk in trondhiem was the most expensive thing I've done, and I went to american law school).
One of them could really benefit from some weed though.

We could all probably benefit. Also, getting drunk in Trondheim is more about who you know than what you can pay. I'm looking out over the city right now, in fact.

I'm slowly finishing off the last drops of some very nice rye Whiskey from «Kentucky» if such a place indeed exists. I've always scoffed at american brown liquor, but it turns out I've been very mistaken.

E: Out of curiosity, why were you in Trondheim? Was it voluntary?

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 16, 2017