Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Toops posted:

Did we try unplugging Derek, waiting for at least one minute, then plugging Derek back in again?

You have to use a crazy key combination to fully boot him up, like TAB+#+End+4+2

The two numbers are vital as they're Sandi Gardiner's lucky number

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
One thing I did not do this weekend is load up Elite:Dangerous and spend at least 40% of my in-game time clicking through a very impressive 3d star map looking for <system with ideal characteristics to engage in copy/paste 1-dimensional game system>, 40% of my time traveling to that place, 10% of my time engaging in that game system, and 10% musing about how autistic Braben is while sipping an adult beverage and cruising through a near-perfect digital reproduction of the inherent meaninglessness of the universe.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually Aliens: Colonial Marines released years ago. :colbert:

Man, Chris Roberts can't get anything right!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Star Citizen:

Toops posted:

a near-perfect digital reproduction of the inherent meaninglessness of the universe.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

:laffo: today I spent 7 hours playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 which is basically the same amount of time I've spent 'playing' Star Citizen since the Hangar Module came out in like 2014.
the crazy thing about the whole game is
no big story spoiler things I spent like 20+ hours just running around fort joy. I'm loving blown the gently caress away by the staggering amount of content in this game

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"Turbulent contract renegotiated to now include SC 2017 releases as "MVP" or "EA commercial release" as some monies are tied to that"

Agent are Turbulent on some kind of share of the sales (post soft-launch/EA/MVP) as part of their contract?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

"Turbulent contract renegotiated to now include SC 2017 releases as "MVP" or "EA commercial release" as some monies are tied to that"

Agent are Turbulent on some kind of share of the sales (post soft-launch/EA/MVP) as part of their contract?
honestly it wouldn't surprise me, since Turbulent ran and continues to run the entire funding campaign

there was a quote direct from someone at turbulent that most of the ideas, like CCU or LTI, was from Turbulent people

but really I have no idea, people just gab and I spit it back out and a lot of times its probably not accurate or even in the ballpark of accurate

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jason Sextro posted:

Man, Chris Roberts can't get anything right!

I dunno, he can hand jive like a motherfucker

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

When I last played Elite Dangerous a week ago, I think I was on for around 5hr, me & a few mates chasing down Thargoids and getting totally owned, with a bit of NPC & material farming for engineer upgrades. Chatting on Discord, catching up on Galnet news, and watching ObsidianAnt's and Scott Manley's latest vids, via my second screen all help during travel across multiple systems. Crossing 20 or so systems is boring as gently caress. Looking forward to the Galnet Audio feature of next years updates to save me bothering to read :v:

I also shouldn't have lent my Vive to my bro-in-law last month :argh:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Posting on it all day sex number page.

I have no other news.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

TheAgent posted:

the crazy thing about the whole game is
no big story spoiler things I spent like 20+ hours just running around fort joy. I'm loving blown the gently caress away by the staggering amount of content in this game

One of the things I love about DOS 2 is that it was crowdfunded and delivered very quickly.

They said they needed 2 mil, they got 2 mil. They said it would be delivered in a couple years, thats how long it took.

So you have an epic fully released game with 100000x the content SC does, made for 2 mil and delivered in 2 years.

It's a shame Larian Studios doesn't understand game development though.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Did you ever want a tactical simulator for all your Star Citizen Fleet Battles? Sure you did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGZMFmtmlV4

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

honestly it wouldn't surprise me, since Turbulent ran and continues to run the entire funding campaign

there was a quote direct from someone at turbulent that most of the ideas, like CCU or LTI, was from Turbulent people

but really I have no idea, people just gab and I spit it back out and a lot of times its probably not accurate or even in the ballpark of accurate

That's very interesting, I had assumed that Turbulent were just hired hands for the e-commerce.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

Did you ever want a tactical simulator for all your Star Citizen Fleet Battles? Sure you did!

Six seconds. Six seconds. That's all I could take.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

That's very interesting, I had assumed that Turbulent were just hired hands for the e-commerce.
they were, but also for their knowledge of online funding models and how to get the most from stupid nerds wanting a nerd thing

TheAgent posted:

also anytime that someone says SANDI IS A MARKETING GENIUS you can just link em here

http://www.turbulent.ca/media/j47g3ko7d6gjbr/source/Turbulent_HEAP-WhitePaper.pdf

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

:laffo:

ps: Yeah, that's totally seamless space<->planet transition and not instanced levels with trigger points. :argh:

It's curious to me why CIG didn't just release to Evocati the 3.0 build that PC Gamer totally played :airquote: this past Summer :argh:

http://www.pcgamer.com/first-man-on-the-moon-hands-on-with-star-citizen-alpha-30/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh yea n

TheAgent posted:

guess who came up with the CCU

quote:

One of the main advantages of Turbulent’s platform is that it allows backers who so wish to “convert” their initial gift into virtual dollars to purchase something that interests them even more, and backers often end up increasing their pledges in the process. A backer can also decide to offer a spaceship as a gift to a friend, thus raising the latter’s interest for the game. In turn, the backer’s friend may also decide to make a pledge.
all turbulent lol

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Six seconds. Six seconds. That's all I could take.

:lol: You missed the inspirational music kick in at 14 seconds :banjo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

btw the interview occurred that day, but the article wasn't published until 9/11

I noticed that, but the air date is usually used instead of the publish date.

quote:

and for some reason you've been trying to bait me into slapfights over the most basic stuff, I don't understand why and it's getting a little tiresome

Are you serious right now? Or are you drunk again?

Why is there a different standard for when someone - you included - decides to challenge me on the most mundane poo poo?

I only commented on that because if there were all these numerous early access mentions, I would have known about it. For the avoidance of doubt, that's why I posted that I never even wrote anything about EA, until croberts mentioned it in that interview. And I cited the timeline.

And he didn't even say that it was EA; contrary to the quotes (which is what I was talking about) you cited. He alluded to it, while, once again making poo poo up on the fly in his inference that the development has always been like EA, it's just a label etc.

quote:

can I just put "derek smart is always right and knows everything about star citizen" in my sig so we can bury the hatchet or whatever

Of course not. I'm not even about that. I think we've got some crossed wires somewhere.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

You have to use a crazy key combination to fully boot him up, like TAB+#+End+4+2

The two numbers are vital as they're Sandi Gardiner's lucky number

e:

So, uhm, am I the only who noticed that nobody thought to press the ESC key in that sequence? :grin:

----------------

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm going to start offering a service where for $5 I'll poke you in the eye

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Paramemetic posted:

Posting on it all day sex number page.

I have no other news.

no ice

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I'm going to start offering a service where for $5 I'll poke you in the eye

customer: that wasn't my eye!

:pgabz: that wasn't my finger either

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

customer: that wasn't my eye!

:pgabz: that wasn't my finger either

That could be my tag line "It wasn't my finger"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

That could be my tag line "It wasn't my finger"

Must be buddies with croberts

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/ceo-kickstarter-funded-indie-game-releases-progress-video-surfing-tahiti/

----------------

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

oh yea n

all turbulent lol
[/quote]

The one thing I gave CIG credit for was monetising the poo poo out of everything in the maddest ways. And now I just learn that it's been Turbulent handling all that stuff. So the whole in-game currency stuff and how it's supposed to work is all actually beyond CIG, it'll be Turbulent driving the bus on all of that stuff. Star Citizen is just a big front end for Turbulent.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BloodyScab posted:

Q: You mentioned there are NPCs in the build?
A: Yes, patch 3.0.0a had them roaming around doing their own business in Port Olisar and Levski, but they were buggy and get stuck in doors. In later patches, CIG decided to freeze them in a line in Port Olisar, so we'd make memes about them in ETF Spectrum. You can't interact with them yet, and Miles spits out the same greeting line at Levski.

This is why I believe

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

This is why I believe

:same:

----------------

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
*sees man slapping himself around in a dimly lit alleyway*

he screams "I THINK WE'VE GOT SOME CROSSED WIRES SOMEWHERE" as you slowly back away

you hear footsteps behind you, a quick pace. it's the man. "WHY ARE YOU WALKING AWAY FROM THIS" he asks

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheAgent posted:

*sees man slapping himself around in a dimly lit alleyway*

he screams "I THINK WE'VE GOT SOME CROSSED WIRES SOMEWHERE" as you slowly back away

you hear footsteps behind you, a quick pace. it's the man. "WHY ARE YOU WALKING AWAY FROM THIS" he asks

We should do this again sometime.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is that a joke site like the onion?

No one could be that flagrant could they?

Even Crobberts doesn't comment on his clearly over the top and expensive vacations

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

Is that a joke site like the onion?

No one could be that flagrant could they?

Even Crobberts doesn't comment on his clearly over the top and expensive vacations
yea, and they do some p funny stuff over there

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Baby puffins are called pufflings

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The accounts for RSI UK are now available to download and view in Adobe Reader: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924/filing-history

For some reason the PDF won't open in Chrome's PDF viewer :shrug:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Thoatse posted:

Baby puffins are called pufflings

Finally, getting to the important issues.

(Psyched for Puffin 3.0)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I periodically just skim through maybe 1 in ten pages and LOL

BloodyScab posted:

I have a friend who will remain anonymous for his sake that has been with the Evocati since May 2016. I finally convinced him to answer my questions about the 3.0 Evocati build. I'm copying this from an email discussion we had. Here's goes...
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/76lqca/30_spoilers_from_my_evocati_friend/

quote:

If I put on the heavy marine armor, I can only sprint for 5 seconds until my heart rate goes to 170 beats, my vision blurs to near blackout, and my o2 meter depletes to 80%.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

Pythons were not 'peaceful enough'. Pythons would ram. Each ship had its 'thing'. FDLs were trigger happy fast firing for example. Kraits flew out of asteroids and flew in pairs. Cobras were more likely to launch a missile.

In ED none of that personality in NPCs exists at all, they're just cannon fodder.

In the original Elite, ships were given characteristics because all you see was vectors. In ED, ships have pilots and different pilots act and react differently, there is some significant changes to this behavior that hulls aren't defined by what they shoot but how fast they are how maneuverable, what hardpoints they have, and what kind of internals they carried all these add up to give a ship character, there is no super ship and definitely no ship that "punches above its weight".

IIRC there was a patch where they made the AI extremely extensive and you couldn't even kill them. Another patch gave NPC's the ability to engineer their weapons / components making them insane opponents, some were even broken with gatling Plasma Accelerators that would make you spacedust in a volley or two.

But thats not the point.

You need to go fight a Thargoid. I've been successful over at my side of the world with several friends in taking down 2 hearts before getting our asses handed back to us. And this was attempted with fully engineered ships (to each pilots liking so no 2 ships that are in the wing are the same) <--- Something SC promised eons ago. Lol.

If FD pushes out content like the Thargoid fight, in squadrons (or multiple wings) this would be FFXIV in space.And I'm definitely into bossfight gameplay with friends in spaceships.

Also, where are the Vanduul?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Quavers posted:

This is more of a video game than Star Citizen will ever be.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

kilus aof posted:

_________________ is more of a video game than Star Citizen will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

no_recall posted:

You need to go fight a Thargoid. I've been successful over at my side of the world with several friends in taking down 2 hearts before getting our asses handed back to us. And this was attempted with fully engineered ships (to each pilots liking so no 2 ships that are in the wing are the same) <--- Something SC promised eons ago. Lol.

If FD pushes out content like the Thargoid fight, in squadrons (or multiple wings) this would be FFXIV in space.And I'm definitely into bossfight gameplay with friends in spaceships.

Also, where are the Vanduul?

See that's exactly the type of poo poo I'd love to see in E:D. Some kind of gameplay that tracks with your power curve, and gives real incentives to stay on the ship upgrade hamster wheel.