Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Way I see it, there's four things that could possibly have happened to Zenos and/or his body.

1. He's alive for no good reason, somehow he failed to kill himself and no one noticed that the guy they were sticking in the ground was still alive-ish.
2. Elidibus or some other Ascian is borrowing his corpse. Which is probably the case.
3. He's for real dead and someone stole his body either to torch or to give a proper Garlean burial. :911:
4. Zenos died and went to the local Hell-equivalent. Then he kicked everyone's rear end there and was made emperor of Hell, took his body back, and is ready to come back to Hydaelyn with a vengeance and possibly with a few legions of the damned. If this sounds dumb, remember that the exact same thing happened in FF2, right down to Emperor Mateus looking a lot like Zenos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SonicRulez posted:

This was my thought. I hadn't even considered alternatives.

This is my thoughts too,(4.1) but I do also like the idea that Garlemald has started dabbling in the cloning tech Alag had. Especially if it can produce Resonance users.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Don't forget though, Zenos got resonated or whatever too, didn't he? I think he had a hosed up eye before he merged with Shinryuu. It might be that he has some weird reality-bending Echo like the Warrior of Light. It might be that his home point was set to Garlemald because he was done with the main quest and didn't have it set to a quest hub or anything, so when he died he didn't release until he got buried and just respawned back there.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I remember Lyse talking about Zenos' grave but were they vandalized or was she just worried someone would do so? Elidibus being Zenos now is plausible though, either that or Gaius based on short list of people Varis respects enough to go "how dare you"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

:thunk:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Meldonox posted:

Don't forget though, Zenos got resonated or whatever too, didn't he? I think he had a hosed up eye before he merged with Shinryuu. It might be that he has some weird reality-bending Echo like the Warrior of Light. It might be that his home point was set to Garlemald because he was done with the main quest and didn't have it set to a quest hub or anything, so when he died he didn't release until he got buried and just respawned back there.

He had two.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

GuyUpNorth posted:

I remember Lyse talking about Zenos' grave but were they vandalized or was she just worried someone would do so? Elidibus being Zenos now is plausible though, either that or Gaius based on short list of people Varis respects enough to go "how dare you"

They were vandalized and desecrated, and this makes me feel that something's happened to Zenos - either he's still alive, we have a zombie on the loose, or this is all just a red herring from Square.

After all, how many Ala Mhigans actually know what Zenos looks like and would know if he's missing from a grave? They dug up him (or what they assumed to be him) and his officers to do implied unspeakable things, which means that we can't show his dead body to the doubting Garleans but also that we have no way of knowing ourselves if someone got to his body first since the Ala Mhigans have pretty much ruined the investigation scene.

The Garlean we see in the scene that's overhearing the conversation and then makes a mist is also another mystery since they wouldn't show that scene for no reason. A friend speculated that it might be the scientist guy from the last dungeon, since he seemed to be studying how to separate the soul for the body, and he was really barely used at all in the MSQ. I could see him coming back from having body-surfed into a new body for the patch updates.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Connection issues in Rabanastre leads to some interesting things. (Watch the "5")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRKCRllUes

EDIT: Public-safe version with FC chat removed just to be sure.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 16, 2017

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

PunkBoy posted:

Connection issues in Rabanastre leads to some interesting things. (Watch the "5")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7O4CiJn1vo

This is glorious.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Way I see it, there's four things that could possibly have happened to Zenos and/or his body.

1. He's alive for no good reason, somehow he failed to kill himself and no one noticed that the guy they were sticking in the ground was still alive-ish.
2. Elidibus or some other Ascian is borrowing his corpse. Which is probably the case.
3. He's for real dead and someone stole his body either to torch or to give a proper Garlean burial. :911:
4. Zenos died and went to the local Hell-equivalent. Then he kicked everyone's rear end there and was made emperor of Hell, took his body back, and is ready to come back to Hydaelyn with a vengeance and possibly with a few legions of the damned. If this sounds dumb, remember that the exact same thing happened in FF2, right down to Emperor Mateus looking a lot like Zenos!

#2 seems most likely, yeah, but #4 would make me very happy. The most likely place would be the Void, though, right? That seems to be the bad hell place where demons come from.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Doesn't an Ascian have to possess someone alive?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Doesn't an Ascian have to possess someone alive?

They may not have to, it might be more expensive interms of energy to animate a corpse though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

I think it's more that Elidibus is Zenos now and Zenos's body is going to be the "Nidhogg's eyes" of 4.x/5.0. We'll get a reveal in 4.5 that Elidibus is Zenos now and something will spark the invasion of Garlemald just how Nidhogg's eyes sparked the invasion of Gyr Abania.

Nidhogg's eyes cleverly transferred their power to Zenos' corpse before they could be destroyed

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Hunter Noventa posted:

They may not have to, it might be more expensive interms of energy to animate a corpse though.

Exact opposite way around. It's easier for Ascians to possess corpses than living people. In the SMN quests you fight a bunch of lesser Ascians and it's discussed that they're only capable of possessing corpses, while the 'main' Ascians are the ones powerful enough to take over a living host.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Love an outfit that improves every cutscene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Love an outfit that improves every cutscene.

That's not Fat Chocobo Head though?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ImpAtom posted:

That's not Fat Chocobo Head though?

Or that loving ghost outfit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looking forward to the continuing adventures of qiqirn congressman

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BrightWing posted:

Or that loving ghost outfit.

Boo.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
With the way Recruit-A-Friend codes work in this game, does my character need to be on the same server/data center as the referrer's for us both to get the rewards? Or can it just be any code from anybody?

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 16, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I just got to the Umbrite step for my Anima weapon. Good thing i have 100 Levequest allowances available for the sand :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Looking forward to the continuing adventures of qiqirn congressman

That whole event made Lakshmi seem really creepy to me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They did a great job making Lakshmi feel like an actual threat. For the most part, primals in the storyline have felt more like punching bags than supernatural horrors past Ifrit, but the duty fight with Lakshmi reminds you why a primal is so frightening. There's a real sense of desperation when you're running around trying to pop the orbs that feeds into the terror you're supposed to be feeling over someone like Lyse getting tempered. I also loved how it really made it feel like you were fighting as part of a team: Raubahn using his LB to clear a path; you, Arenvald, and Fordola running around clearing the orbs; everyone coordinating and cooperating with Lakshmi's telegraphs; Fordola making her barrier and growing more and more desperate as her aether slips away until Lyse comes in with the LB and blasts Lakshmi to pieces. Genuinely one of the highlights of this game over its entire post-2.X run for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vermain posted:

They did a great job making Lakshmi feel like an actual threat. For the most part, primals in the storyline have felt more like punching bags than supernatural horrors past Ifrit, but the duty fight with Lakshmi reminds you why a primal is so frightening. There's a real sense of desperation when you're running around trying to pop the orbs that feeds into the terror you're supposed to be feeling over someone like Lyse getting tempered. I also loved how it really made it feel like you were fighting as part of a team: Raubahn using his LB to clear a path; you, Arenvald, and Fordola running around clearing the orbs; everyone coordinating and cooperating with Lakshmi's telegraphs; Fordola making her barrier and growing more and more desperate as her aether slips away until Lyse comes in with the LB and blasts Lakshmi to pieces. Genuinely one of the highlights of this game over its entire post-2.X run for me.

I agree, I loved that instance. It actually made me feel close to these NPCs, especially Arenvald in the early part where it was just the two of us scrambling to cover the room and stop these bubbles, and then I genuinely got a little thrill when Fordola showed up (I expected her to have a redemption arc, but not so soon!).

That said, Raubahn, were you sitting on that move this whole time

Between that and the Naadam I'm feeling good about the solo instances going forward for this game, they're doing some cool stuff.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I agree, I loved that instance. It actually made me feel close to these NPCs, especially Arenvald in the early part where it was just the two of us scrambling to cover the room and stop these bubbles, and then I genuinely got a little thrill when Fordola showed up (I expected her to have a redemption arc, but not so soon!).

That said, Raubahn, were you sitting on that move this whole time

Between that and the Naadam I'm feeling good about the solo instances going forward for this game, they're doing some cool stuff.

Raubahn actually used it before: it's the big attack he channels during the duel you have with him.

Arenvald's great, although he's throwing up death flags left and right. Fordola's still my favorite addition to the cast, though, mainly because her voice actress absolutely sells the character. Her delivery of, "It's done. Take me back to my cell," has this perfect tone of weary resignation which strongly contrasts her hotblooded shouting matches only a few cutscenes ago.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As opposed to the first time you see her?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On a different note, anywhere I can set up some PotD runs with goons? I want to get to Floor 200, but I haven't had the chance to explore the lower levels beyond one run that ended at 187.

Brainamp posted:

As opposed to the first time you see her?

That was kind of standard fare "Ooga booga, I am a Primal. Worship me, even though I don't really do much for you."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On a different note, anywhere I can set up some PotD runs with goons? I want to get to Floor 200, but I haven't had the chance to explore the lower levels beyond one run that ended at 187.

That was kind of standard fare "Ooga booga, I am a Primal. Worship me, even though I don't really do much for you."

"Ooga booga, I can bring your dead back to life as soulless husks" was kind of a new addition to the primal equation.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Didn't that happen with Leviathan and Captain Madison?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Vermain posted:

Raubahn actually used it before: it's the big attack he channels during the duel you have with him.

Arenvald's great, although he's throwing up death flags left and right. Fordola's still my favorite addition to the cast, though, mainly because her voice actress absolutely sells the character. Her delivery of, "It's done. Take me back to my cell," has this perfect tone of weary resignation which strongly contrasts her hotblooded shouting matches only a few cutscenes ago.

Yes huge shutout to the VA, I love it when she's doing Eorzea's Angriest Person, but she can bring it down a notch too, Fordola is awesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

Guys, I'm really happy with how my apartment turned out. :neckbeard:

BTW I completely stole the way you partitioned your apartment.

quote:

Lakshmi stuff

Another aspect of why she's so scary is that most of the other primals are concerned about themselves or their tribe's well being. Some of them have goals that can be used to negotiate or manipulate them. Lakshmi? She just wants to free everyone of pain and suffering, it's for your own good after all. Hard to negotiate when the other party just wants you to submit.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

I too am really enjoying the Fordola english VA and actually that character in general

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I got my Warrior from 35 to 50 in roughly 4 hours of gameplay in the squadron dungeons.

I don't know why, I'm not interested in playing the class.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2017/All_Saints_Wake/

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Now I can be a cat/fox/wolf girl all at the same time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ibblebibble posted:

Didn't some grognards say that implementing jumping would destroy all immersion?

Star citizen players were absolutely livid when the walking simulator part released and people weren't restricted to RP walk and ran places. Some even jumped over obstacles. Have you seen people irl running to shops???

I mean, I run to/from the shop every time because shopping is already a gigantic waste of time, but have you??

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I shop online and get it delivered like a normal person. Going outside? Ew.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There was a goon in TPT who was asking about levelling crafters from 50 onwards Sunday evening. On the off-chance you check this thread in the morning, I just remembered a thing:

Zhloe and M'naago turn-ins give XP if you're not capped. They also give scrip, which you want anyways, but the addition of XP from Zhloe where there was none before is an additional source of XP.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I got my Warrior from 35 to 50 in roughly 4 hours of gameplay in the squadron dungeons.

I've been leveling Scholar like this. 30 to 40 in about 6 missions, I think? I've lost count, but it's definitely fewer than 10. Armory bonus + food + rest bonus + Ala Mhigan earrings = all the experience ever.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Let's all just thank God there's no reason to ever run PotD again ever now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just need some for the 50-60 (61) part now. That's probably not gonna help because gently caress HW leveling dungeons, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Let's all just thank God there's no reason to ever run PotD again ever now.

POTD Stormblood edition sooner than you'd like, comrade.