Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

zxqv8 posted:

This guy (Impact) got linked earlier in the thread, but probably deserves another plug because his attention to detail is loving bonkers and the results speak for themselves

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChxo_QeAQdFFqNmNb5hPk3w

You can get good results from growables, but I think this proves that the highest level of believability is achieved by plopping and moving.

Impact, Fluxtrance, and Strictoaster are all amazing. ST turned me onto the plop the growables mod and I'm using that + RICO to handplace an entire city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I uploaded a map to the steam workshop wewt that makes me a modder

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1154968057

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 2, 2017

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether Traffic President is still worth using after Mass Transit? I'm pretty good at vanilla traffic planning anyway and I've heard it can impact performance once you start loading up on agents. I also get the sense that the new road options cover most of the things I would have used the mod for.

Also I guess have some shots of my last project before a patch killed my mods and froze the whole city solid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently with the free update with Green Cities they'll be opening up 'road modding' to create our own roads, details forthcoming.

I do like how they've been adding things with the intent of creating bases for modders to build on. Like:

quote:

First of all, let me mention probably the tiniest addition: three new parks. Sounds pretty small, right? The real deal here is that one of the parks is a floating building that you can place on water, and another one can also be placed on water but sits on pillars. The third is there just for fun. These new buildings types mean that modders can now also make pillar buildings and floating buildings by using these parks as templates. So while they are small, they open the door for lots of interesting new buildings. 

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LeschNyhan posted:

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether Traffic President is still worth using after Mass Transit? I'm pretty good at vanilla traffic planning anyway and I've heard it can impact performance once you start loading up on agents. I also get the sense that the new road options cover most of the things I would have used the mod for.

Also I guess have some shots of my last project before a patch killed my mods and froze the whole city solid.

I find the tools in mass transit are really bad and don't do a quarter of the important stuff traffic president does, and traffic president manages to have a much more intuitive interface to boot.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Working on my second one tile city experiment with this huge highway loop system.

It was working out great until I realized I had spaghettified my entire industry and shipping region. Now I may have to scrap the whole southern portion of this image and rethink...

Maybe if I just designate a different section of the map as the shipping region it will distribute the traffic load enough to keep the roads cleaner. Anyone have thoughts?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Man Musk posted:

I uploaded a map to the steam workshop wewt that makes me a modder

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1154968057

You may want to consider taking some glamour/overview photos and add them to the Workshop page so people know WTF it looks like.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
If you've missed any of the DLC, the Paradox store is having a sale. I just picked up Snowfall for half off.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you get rid of the thin residential spires from vanilla?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Did this game ever get any challenge beyond solving traffic?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Control Volume posted:

Did this game ever get any challenge beyond solving traffic?

Nope. Well there's grappling with the water flow physics, that can be quite a challenge.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The new update looks really dumb and a pass from me for buying it, but the road editor has me super excited unless it's hamstrung somehow. I watched a feature overview where a guy barely shows it, but will we finally be able to create lane by lane the roads of our dreams?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

a few days back I saw this in the paradox newsletter email and laughed

I'm living in a fantasy land :nutshot:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hear they have free healthcare, if such a thing can exist.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

cool new Metroid game posted:

a few days back I saw this in the paradox newsletter email and laughed

I'm living in a fantasy land :nutshot:

This is a real thing that exists. Believe it or not but Europeans didn't stop making buildings in the last 200 years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Preordering a loving content creator pack? :frogout:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

Preordering a loving content creator pack? :frogout:

This one actually has around 80 buildings in it, so at least they're improving. I remember the first one for the same price having like 10.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

turn off the TV posted:

This is a real thing that exists. Believe it or not but Europeans didn't stop making buildings in the last 200 years.

I was referring to 'the suburban fantasy of europe'. I live in a european suburb and it's a shithole.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I was referring to 'the suburban fantasy of europe'. I live in a european suburb and it's a shithole.

I can only imagine how much worse a European suburb must be than an American one knowing that you're so close, yet so far away to a decent place to live.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

from the image it looks like nordic ped/bike suburbs in particular. looks dope gonna get it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The fantasy: riding down to your local boulangerie for some ludicrously long bread rolls and some black, black coffee watching geese waddle across the plaza

The reality: stuck in traffic.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

The new update looks really dumb and a pass from me for buying it, but the road editor has me super excited unless it's hamstrung somehow. I watched a feature overview where a guy barely shows it, but will we finally be able to create lane by lane the roads of our dreams?

God, I hope so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apparently the road editor is not at all what I was hoping for, it's not like the lane-by-lane editor from cities in motion 2 :(((((((

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Of course not, why would they copy the only good thing from that game? Maybe they'll add the ticket price system instead. :smith:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm not sure what the problem with the road editor could be. Sure it would be nice to edit that kind of stuff in game, but the amount of options it contains is absurd.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd just love something that's basically the CiM2 road editor. Let me lane by lane, element by element build a cross/section for a road type and save it, all with simple drop down menus.

So you could do something like:
Double wide sidewalk
Bike lane
trees
parking lane
vehicle lane
vehicle lane
trees
Bike lane (opposing direction)
Double wide sidewalk

So now I've got a 2-lane one-way street with bike lanes and wide sidewalks. Or maybe I make another new custom road

or something like:
narrow sidewalk
bike lane
paved tram lane (one way) (allow service vehicles)
bike lane
narrow sidewalk
And now I've got a narrow one way zonable tram street with bike lanes.

and then maybe define a few other options like the type of trees and the models of street furniture.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I'd just love something that's basically the CiM2 road editor. Let me lane by lane, element by element build a cross/section for a road type and save it, all with simple drop down menus.

So you could do something like:
Double wide sidewalk
Bike lane
trees
parking lane
vehicle lane
vehicle lane
trees
Bike lane (opposing direction)
Double wide sidewalk

So now I've got a 2-lane one-way street with bike lanes and wide sidewalks. Or maybe I make another new custom road

or something like:
narrow sidewalk
bike lane
paved tram lane (one way) (allow service vehicles)
bike lane
narrow sidewalk
And now I've got a narrow one way zonable tram street with bike lanes.

and then maybe define a few other options like the type of trees and the models of street furniture.

This sounds exactly like what the editor is, though, unless it doesn't allow you to make asymmetric roads.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You see those ‘segments’ and ‘nodes’ options at the bottom? Guess where you have to import your own textured geometry if you want to deviate from the existing in-game roads even one bit. I’m talking kerb width, lane markings, those kinds of things.

This should have been public info but alas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

This one actually has around 80 buildings in it, so at least they're improving. I remember the first one for the same price having like 10.

I'd actually consider paying for a good 80 houses. On sale. Maybe.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

turn off the TV posted:

This sounds exactly like what the editor is, though, unless it doesn't allow you to make asymmetric roads.

I haven't been paying attention. Is this a mod, or is this the new thing in the expansion?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McGlockenshire posted:

I haven't been paying attention. Is this a mod, or is this the new thing in the expansion?

It's a new feature coming in the expansion.

I'm looking forward to being able to make custom roads for my superblocks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to be surprised and wrong but from what I've heard the road editor isn't some easy thing where you just tell the game what lanes you want in a street cross section, how the road looks is still entirely based on pain in the rear end to model assets, the editor just sort of makes defining the lanes easier. But you're not going to just go into the editor, select a small road, add a row of trees down the middle and some bike lanes and save.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that like the editor where you can make custom parks and stuff? You have to quit to main menu, fiddle around with it to make fixed segments to plop down in game?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You’ll need to either edit an existing road, with its markings etc already in place, or import a new model with its own textures. I’ll try to show it when the DLC has gone live.

edit: NM they published a dev diary about it

Koesj fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 18, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If the road editor works similarly to the other editors then it should be fairly simple to retexture dumped road models, so I'm not terribly worried, although the system could obviously have been much better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I can figure out how to make some narrow 1-way tram roads with bike lanes I'll be happy.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

If I can figure out how to make some narrow 1-way tram roads with bike lanes I'll be happy.

Same - I want a 2-tile wide road that's one lane of foot/bike traffic and one lane of vehicle traffic separated by a median.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So how bad has the update broken all the essential mods we love?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Judging from reddit, very broken.

On the bright side we now have cool tram/monorail roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I usually give it a week for mods to get updated by their original authors or unfucked by BloodyPenguin.