Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

UltraRed posted:

I have an orb that contains the souls of everyone in Fargrimdark, but I lost it when a plucky young sidekick knocked it out of my hand with a boomerang and it shattered upon the castle floor and now all those shitheads have their souls back. tfn kid

Aww that sucks man. Maybe you can use the shards to take the Kings soul and hold it for ransom until that kid comes back and then just murder him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

*counteracts all of your evil magic*

I am a good wizard

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Thing about good wizards is that without binding the spirits of the ancient scholars or learning from demons, it takes forever to master the really good spells. And then they just die of old age like chumps!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Takes more work and the only real things you can do is be reactive in your life when some rival evil wizard goes conquering. What's the point of power if you can't force your ideals onto the world or twist it for your own amusement.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

*counteracts all of your evil magic*

I am a good wizard

God modding is actually evil as hell #664432. Welcome to the dark side.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Thing about good wizards is that without binding the spirits of the ancient scholars or learning from demons, it takes forever to master the really good spells. And then they just die of old age like chumps!

Not necessarily. I do my best to avoid them, but the Righteous Council is 100% wizard, and, so far as I can tell, undying. So long as they have the favor of the God Of Light, anyway. Their mind and flesh is seemingly as capable as it was on their day of ascension.

The only way to even make them mortal is by corrupting them, and lord knows darker liches than I have tried to.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

basic hitler posted:

Not necessarily. I do my best to avoid them, but the Righteous Council is 100% wizard, and, so far as I can tell, undying. So long as they have the favor of the God Of Light, anyway.

Clerics!

*spits*

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I put on my robe and wizard hat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I spent a shitload of gold pieces at Yggradsil's store, I better be able to use this stuff at some point.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

Aww that sucks man. Maybe you can use the shards to take the Kings soul and hold it for ransom until that kid comes back and then just murder him.

Thanks for the advice. I actually faked my death to get away because I didn't really have a Plan B. I just, you know, thought it would work. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So... I animated a few skeletons from a pauper's graveyard the other day, and everything was normal except one was acting funny and would try to escape on occasion. Usually this happens if it had unfinished business and maybe there's a ghost of it out there. I was going to just destroy it but I had speak with dead prepared and was curious so I went ahead.

It spoke to me in my in voice. I called up one of my fwb, a forensic anthropologist and she studied and confirmed it is my own skeleton. Carbon dated it and it is about 10 years older than me. The grave it was in was placed 9 1/2 years ago. I'm not really sure what to do here. It just says "Do not seek the treasure!" when I talk to it. I don't even know what it's talking about.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That's called a soul fragment and you need to fuse with it. Having it wander around, even as a part of your collection of skeletons, is super dangerous.

It's uncomfortable and disorienting and you're gonna have long memories of more or less existing in pain underground, but you need to do it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

basic hitler posted:

That's called a soul fragment and you need to fuse with it. Having it wander around, even as a part of your collection of skeletons, is super dangerous.

It's uncomfortable and disorienting and you're gonna have long memories of more or less existing in pain underground, but you need to do it.

I'm more worried that in six months or less I somehow get killed ten years ago.

naem
May 29, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I spent a shitload of gold pieces at Yggradsil's store, I better be able to use this stuff at some point.

When I was low level (and not fully evil yet) my local wizard shop was horseshit.

Their inventory was like
- cracked yew short bow you can't equip because you put all your skill points into mana 2 copper
-skeever tails. You know, those rats that cause disease? They stock severed tails here. You can't SELL them all those tails you keep collecting when you get attacked crawling around looking for barrels to rummage in, god forbid you make any money at this 1 copper
- bland frumpy wizard robes that convey only a tiny bonus and you know you'll find something better as soon as you go out rummaging around some barrels somewhere but if you don't spend every coin you have you'll die the second you go outside but then you can't sell them for what you paid 2 silver
- rusty boots (cracked) 1 copper
-GARGULON'S DARK VORPAL DEATH STAFF OF SUMMON LIGHTENING FROST ATRONACH STORM DEMON MURDER STAFF SKELETON DEATH STAFF SKULL DESTRUCTION 5738379497273729 gold

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Waroduce posted:

I put on my robe and wizard hat

Go on.

:allears:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So... I animated a few skeletons from a pauper's graveyard the other day, and everything was normal except one was acting funny and would try to escape on occasion. Usually this happens if it had unfinished business and maybe there's a ghost of it out there. I was going to just destroy it but I had speak with dead prepared and was curious so I went ahead.

It spoke to me in my in voice. I called up one of my fwb, a forensic anthropologist and she studied and confirmed it is my own skeleton. Carbon dated it and it is about 10 years older than me. The grave it was in was placed 9 1/2 years ago. I'm not really sure what to do here. It just says "Do not seek the treasure!" when I talk to it. I don't even know what it's talking about.

Don't seek the treasure for at least five years, to be safe.

naem posted:

When I was low level (and not fully evil yet) my local wizard shop was horseshit.

Their inventory was like
- cracked yew short bow you can't equip because you put all your skill points into mana 2 copper
-skeever tails. You know, those rats that cause disease? They stock severed tails here. You can't SELL them all those tails you keep collecting when you get attacked crawling around looking for barrels to rummage in, god forbid you make any money at this 1 copper
- bland frumpy wizard robes that convey only a tiny bonus and you know you'll find something better as soon as you go out rummaging around some barrels somewhere but if you don't spend every coin you have you'll die the second you go outside but then you can't sell them for what you paid 2 silver
- rusty boots (cracked) 1 copper
-GARGULON'S DARK VORPAL DEATH STAFF OF SUMMON LIGHTENING FROST ATRONACH STORM DEMON MURDER STAFF SKELETON DEATH STAFF SKULL DESTRUCTION 5738379497273729 gold

Capitalism is evil. You didn't know?

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
I'm the most evil wizard of you all. I have given my subjects free healthcare and social security. Now they will be dependent on me and never be truly free. Mwhahahahahaha

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Or they could move to Canada. Unless you mean you're Justin Trudeau

naem
May 29, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Capitalism is evil. You didn't know?

You know I think I first turned evil out of frustration just trying to scrounge up money for that drat staff and then it wasn't in inventory!! They replaced it with a cleric's orb or some garbage.

I'd done a (really minor) fetch quest for this Jarl who gave me permission to buy a house (in this really over the top speech, it was weird like he just sat there in a big chair waiting to make this speech all day. Then as soon as the sun set he and the entire court all walked up a set of stairs and lay down in a row of beds fully clothed with the doors open while I stood there it was so weird).

I had all this loot I couldn't sell so I bought the least expensive house, a "dilapidated alchemists tower" outside town (next to the mountain with the giant ice skull on top) to dump it all.

I found that tome of summon skeleton and the trap door (to the ice labyrinth under the mountain) and started luring adventurers in to make some quick cash off their loot and didn't even know I'd created a skeleton army out of them, just kept hearing all this creaking from the basement! The rest is history

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Or they could move to Canada. Unless you mean you're Justin Trudeau

Many Canadians are actually liches, to survive the frigid Canadian winters. They're okay by me, eh?

naem posted:

You know I think I first turned evil out of frustration just trying to scrounge up money for that drat staff and then it wasn't in inventory!! They replaced it with a cleric's orb or some garbage.

I'd done a (really minor) fetch quest for this Jarl who gave me permission to buy a house (in this really over the top speech, it was weird like he just sat there in a big chair waiting to make this speech all day. Then as soon as the sun set he and the entire court all walked up a set of stairs and lay down in a row of beds fully clothed with the doors open while I stood there it was so weird).

I had all this loot I couldn't sell so I bought the least expensive house, a "dilapidated alchemists tower" outside town (next to the mountain with the giant ice skull on top) to dump it all.

I found that tome of summon skeleton and the trap door (to the ice labyrinth under the mountain) and started luring adventurers in to make some quick cash off their loot and didn't even know I'd created a skeleton army out of them, just kept hearing all this creaking from the basement! The rest is history

:capitalism:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I ran out of magic missile casts and wasn't that tired so I just used regular darts instead.

Pack plenty, you need way, WAY more.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm more worried that in six months or less I somehow get killed ten years ago.

Sounds like youve got some alternative selves that are murdering each other and dumping the corpses in your current shard. Or worse you pissed off a 4th dimensional being.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So recently I had some business to deal with in a metaplane where time was actually a physical resource you could gather. I will tell you what, some "heroes" will go to any length, but it's not quite as cool when you lock them inside a physical temporal loop.

That's beside the point. As I returned back to my home plane, I found some extra time that was in the folds of my cloak. I brought metaplane resources to mortal plane (Yeah, I know, Rainbowbeard, the laws and all SORRY). I started experimenting with it and found I could actually replicate the material. It's allowed me to actually tap into spells I'd previously cast and redirect the resources into a spell I'm casting now. Sort of like resonance or feedback?

However, I'm wondering if anyone has some experience with chronal magic or temporal rituals. I've put a lot of folks in the dirt in the past and I wouldn't want to really gently caress up the timelines if these resonance loops are siphoning old power instead of repeating it. Am I setting myself up to accidentally save heroes and adventures in the past from their grisly fates by casting spells today?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm just a morally compromised alchemist, but I think you should start asking your skeleton about that treasure.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

So recently I had some business to deal with in a metaplane where time was actually a physical resource you could gather. I will tell you what, some "heroes" will go to any length, but it's not quite as cool when you lock them inside a physical temporal loop.

That's beside the point. As I returned back to my home plane, I found some extra time that was in the folds of my cloak. I brought metaplane resources to mortal plane (Yeah, I know, Rainbowbeard, the laws and all SORRY). I started experimenting with it and found I could actually replicate the material. It's allowed me to actually tap into spells I'd previously cast and redirect the resources into a spell I'm casting now. Sort of like resonance or feedback?

However, I'm wondering if anyone has some experience with chronal magic or temporal rituals. I've put a lot of folks in the dirt in the past and I wouldn't want to really gently caress up the timelines if these resonance loops are siphoning old power instead of repeating it. Am I setting myself up to accidentally save heroes and adventures in the past from their grisly fates by casting spells today?

As long as you have the correct wards up, none of this is..

... you don't even know what The Laws are, do you?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

As long as you have the correct wards up, none of this is..

... you don't even know what The Laws are, do you?

I just assumed there was one in there about replicating resources unique to metaplanes. Look, man, the phylactery is for my immortal soul, not books. Why do you think I reanimated all those barristers!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Get Away With What Thou Wilt Be The Whole Of The Laws.

There are a couple of sub Laws, but jeez you guys it's pretty simple, they all fit on a medium sized stone tablet.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Sometimes the petty evil is the best. I hexed a group of paladins so that every toilet they visit will be unflushed and someone left a poo poo on the seat. For added measure all toilet paper feels rough to them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You're just feeding into their martyr complex and making them stronger, dude. A better curse would be to make their genitalia hypersensitive and to make their underwear, like, incredibly silky and smooth.

Do you know how difficult it is for a gaggle of paladins -- that's the scientific term for a group of paladins, look it up -- to look stern and menacing and commanding when they're trying to hide awkward boners? It also feeds into their slow corruption into the desires of the flesh, which is always good for a laugh.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No, it's a gaggle of Blackguards, and a murder of Paladins.

:eng101:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Many Canadians are actually liches, to survive the frigid Canadian winters. They're okay by me, eh?

Canadians go Wendigo, not Lich.

Not that there isn't a sizable Lich population up there, but most of them are former Americans who fled during the Bush administration. The average Lich is socially conservative, but theurgically liberal.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The average Lich is socially conservative, but theurgically liberal.

lmao

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I like to set occasional challenges for myself, like avoiding using evocation spells for a month to foster a creative problem solving approach. This time though, I think I went a little too far with it.

So a band of do-gooders invaded my keep looking for some missing peasants and didn't realize that they were some of the skeletons that they hacked through on the way to my inner sanctum and tried to end my reign of terror once and for all, yadda yadda.

Well, they were expecting the usual fireball and lightning slinging madman and instead got a whole different confrontation; chain-summoned shadow demons, their worst fears made flesh, and all the rest of that fun. Their rogue disengages from the fight and skirts around the room, ready to plant a dagger in my back. I spotted the sneaky little poo poo, and nailed him dead-on with a new transmutation spell of my own devising: Bones to Ants

I had only tested it on skeletons before, and let's just say it turned out my mind wrote a check that my stomach couldn't cash. The battle immediately comes to a halt, all eyes fixed on this pathetic, twitching sack of flesh uttering a continual inhuman moan, and then the demons rip the rest of his distracted group apart. I'm left alone in the room with this thing on my floor, oozing blood and wheezing as it slowly suffocates under the weight of its own bug-ridden flesh.

I think I'm going to erase the spell from my book. It's not even in the ranking of the top 10 worst things I've done, but it was definitely one of the more surprisingly unpleasant things to watch. :smith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Welp, I managed to hatch my dragon egg. She's a feisty one, but she knows I'm her mama! I got her a pile of gold coins to sleep on and some chickens and goats for her to eat when she's big enough. I scried a nice spacious cave for her to live in when she's old enough, but I'm keeping her in the tower for now. I can't wait to terrorize the countryside on her back!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Poor call, dragon omelettes is good eatin.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
She's a female, she'll produce plenty of eggs when she's mature. :D

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Canadians go Wendigo, not Lich.

Not that there isn't a sizable Lich population up there, but most of them are former Americans who fled during the Bush administration. The average Lich is socially conservative, but theurgically liberal.

Wait, are you saying that Canadians are extremely prone to cannibalism? That seems very arbitrary.

Vernii posted:

I like to set occasional challenges for myself, like avoiding using evocation spells for a month to foster a creative problem solving approach. This time though, I think I went a little too far with it.

So a band of do-gooders invaded my keep looking for some missing peasants and didn't realize that they were some of the skeletons that they hacked through on the way to my inner sanctum and tried to end my reign of terror once and for all, yadda yadda.

Well, they were expecting the usual fireball and lightning slinging madman and instead got a whole different confrontation; chain-summoned shadow demons, their worst fears made flesh, and all the rest of that fun. Their rogue disengages from the fight and skirts around the room, ready to plant a dagger in my back. I spotted the sneaky little poo poo, and nailed him dead-on with a new transmutation spell of my own devising: Bones to Ants

I had only tested it on skeletons before, and let's just say it turned out my mind wrote a check that my stomach couldn't cash. The battle immediately comes to a halt, all eyes fixed on this pathetic, twitching sack of flesh uttering a continual inhuman moan, and then the demons rip the rest of his distracted group apart. I'm left alone in the room with this thing on my floor, oozing blood and wheezing as it slowly suffocates under the weight of its own bug-ridden flesh.

I think I'm going to erase the spell from my book. It's not even in the ranking of the top 10 worst things I've done, but it was definitely one of the more surprisingly unpleasant things to watch. :smith:

Let me get that spell real quick.

Pththya-lyi posted:

She's a female, she'll produce plenty of eggs when she's mature. :D

Yes, good foresight.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Let me get that spell real quick.

Yea sure, you can have it. Just as an FYI; dispelling the magic so you can make a skeleton out of their remains later doesn't work that well, each individual ant just turns back into a tiny shard of bone and you end up with tens of thousands of pieces all over the goddamn place.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
That actually sounds like it might save some time for creating new skeletal structures for aberrant monsters. You can just bone mold the pieces into the shape you want instead of spending your weekend piecing a honeycomb ribcage together out of metatarsals or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just grind the bone fragments into ash and make a skeleton 3d printer that uses them as a medium.

• Locked thread