Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

My wife [34M] wants to get a university degree, but I [38M] don't think the timing is right. We have 3 kids.Relationships (self.relationships)

Oh poo poo. I know who this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That is the single whitest post I've seen in here for a long time. Please tell me the comments are ripping into him

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

probably shouldn't have mentioned the professor husband

if only he'd let his with take cs classes, he could have found out about the property of intersection

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Guys, despite our complete and total socioeconomic stability, I'm upset about my intelligent model wife wanting to improve herself and fulfill a dream of hers. I want to reiterate, this will in no way harm us financially.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

That is the single whitest post I've seen in here for a long time. Please tell me the comments are ripping into him

To be honest it is super typical, and they're exactly like you think.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Danaru posted:

it's a gold mine

quote:

The fact that you would be happy if it was a different degree demonstrates that this is not about the time it will take, but something else. I suspect you feel threatened by the idea of your wife having a professional qualification. Try to work out why that might be.

quote:

Yes, we don't have money problems--which is the point. I don't get why she has to go through all the effort and time of getting a degree when she doesn't need it/won't use it (she say she probably won't work in computer science afterwards).

Also, I'm not insecure, I'm just thinking its not what our family needs at the moment.

quote:

You haven't explained why your family doesn't 'need' it right now. Is she supposed to make every decision on what your family needs? She can't make decisions on her own for herself sometimes if the cost is really nothing because she's trading one activity for another?

This reeks of your insecurity.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Pick posted:

Tell them they have to send at least one of the other kids to boarding school or the adopted one will need a lot of therapy down the way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

Tell them they have to send at least one of the other kids to boarding school or the adopted one will need a lot of therapy down the way.

Nah there's nothing to be gained by mentioning I saw this, and I haven't seen them in a long time anyway. Totally knew it was like this though.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Guys, despite our complete and total socioeconomic stability, I'm upset about my intelligent model wife wanting to improve herself and fulfill a dream of hers. I want to reiterate, this will in no way harm us financially.

OP is a lawyer. Lawyers like to build up computers as this big scary things, because if they acknowledged they were simply too lazy to put the work in and take some math classes, it would irrevocably harm their fragile egos.

The idea of his super femme model wife sitting down and picking up a CS degree at UWash at night is deeply disturbing to him not just because it means she is his equal, but might possibly be his superior

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

Nah there's nothing to be gained by mentioning I saw this, and I haven't seen them in a long time anyway. Totally knew it was like this though.

You should gently caress with them next time you see them in person. Mention you're taking some CS classes at night to do better statistical analysis or something. (You work in marketing right? Machine learning to generate leads or some poo poo)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [27F] ex's [26M] therapist [early 30's F] told him that I was a "oval office" and suggested that I have borderline personality disorderBreakups

So is there an update where we find out the ex was the one who was actually diagnosed with bpd and the therapist never called OP any names? Or is there actually no therapist and the ex is just a compulsive liar?

Werong Bustope posted:

Me [35M] with my wife [36F], we have a dog problem.

I hate this woman. She probably killed her dogs by feeding them random painkillers. If she can drop 5000 bucks on a dog that she will not train, she can loving afford to take her dogs to an emergency vet instead of poisoning them.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 17, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Slugworth posted:

perfect av/post combo

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Suspended from college for alleged sexual assault charge. Need advice for apology letter. (self.legaladvice)

quote:

I was recently suspended from my college after their student honor council found me “responsible” of allegedly raping a girl 3 years ago. There was absolutely no evidence of it ever happening and was just her word against mine. She knew how to play the female victim card though and I got suspended for a year. In order to reapply after my suspension to finish my degree, I have to write her an apology letter. My question, is how do I go about writing a letter about something that never happened without sounding rude to the point that they don’t accept it, but also not making myself sound guilty and possibly turning this into something further?

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 17, 2017

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
How are computers supposed to be scary to any professional? If I ever want something done on a computer I just yell at the IT guy until it gets done. I don't need a degree for that. Hell, I don't even have to show up sober to get him to reset my password.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

maskenfreiheit posted:

OP is a lawyer. Lawyers like to build up computers as this big scary things, because if they acknowledged they were simply too lazy to put the work in and take some math classes, it would irrevocably harm their fragile egos.

I think you're misreading that. He isn't jealous of his wife's brains, he's afraid he might have to spend part of his time parenting.

He's a partner at a law firm. Like all other unpleasant tasks he has delegated the responsibility of his child-rearing to his associate (wife) who further delegates the daily routine tasks to her paralegal (nanny) or outsources the job entirely (boarding school). The book thing was okay because she could do it at home and he still wouldn't have to care about his kids.

Now, she wants to take up a degree that will take up a lot of time. Like any other non-billable task, this side project of higher education distracts her from the task she's already been assigned. Since he's not sure the nanny is up to the job of full time raising the kids, if wife is busy improving herself then he may have to step in occasionally and help raise the kids (or at least the kids who still recognize him). Since his day is already filled doing the one thing that matters in life (making money), wife's attempt at self improvement must be stopped as it represents a potential added burden in his day that cannot be adequately delegated away.

Edit:

Also, I hate to break it to you but no lawyer looks at a computer person as a step up from their own profession. Most attorneys equate computer science with the guy they call to fix their computer/copier/fax machine.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Never write an incriminating apology letter about anything, it's legally admissible as a confession.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

GamingHyena posted:

I think you're misreading that. He isn't jealous of his wife's brains, he's afraid he might have to spend part of his time parenting.

He's a partner at a law firm. Like all other unpleasant tasks he has delegated the responsibility of his child-rearing to his associate (wife) who further delegates the daily routine tasks to her paralegal (nanny) or outsources the job entirely (boarding school). The book thing was okay because she could do it at home and he still wouldn't have to care about his kids.

Now, she wants to take up a degree that will take up a lot of time. Like any other non-billable task, this side project of higher education distracts her from the task she's already been assigned. Since he's not sure the nanny is up to the job of full time raising the kids, if wife is busy improving herself then he may have to step in occasionally and help raise the kids (or at least the kids who still recognize him). Since his day is already filled doing the one thing that matters in life (making money), wife's attempt at self improvement must be stopped as it represents a potential added burden in his day that cannot be adequately delegated away.

Edit:

Also, I hate to break it to you but no lawyer looks at a computer person as a step up from their own profession. Most attorneys equate computer science with the guy they call to fix their computer/copier/fax machine.

I agree with your assessment. I just think it's especially offensive to him she's studying CS on top of the reasons you mention.

(Especially if she's looking at the uni I'm thinking she is... if it is, there law school is seen as a second chance at riches for the ones who couldn't handle CS the first go around.)

Blade Runner posted:

Never write an incriminating apology letter about anything, it's legally admissible as a confession.

ah I see you're back from having strong feelings about how not wanting to date people with certain skin tones is totally not racist to jump to the defense of an alleged rapist. interesting

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

maskenfreiheit posted:

I agree with your assessment. I just think it's especially offensive to him she's studying CS on top of the reasons you mention.

(Especially if she's looking at the uni I'm thinking she is... if it is, there law school is seen as a second chance at riches for the ones who couldn't handle CS the first go around.)

ah I see you're back from having strong feelings about how not wanting to date people with certain skin tones is totally not racist to jump to the defense of an alleged rapist. interesting

I went to the gym. Anyway, it's not in any way reprehensible to not wanna gently caress someone you aren't attracted to and don't want to gently caress, and I'm never going to budge on that topic. If you think that makes me racist, okay.

As for this, it's more of a general thing. I donno if the dude did it or not. Maybe he did, I donno. If he did, he's certainly a loving awful person who should be beaten to death with a particularly weighty stick. If he didn't, sucks that he's in this position where he's gonna end up in jail for it. All I'm saying is that the "Well, listen, sure ya didn't do it, but just write an apology letter. Make stuff a lot easier, they'll probably drop the charges if they see you're sorry. The judge'll look a lot more favorably on this if he sees you apologize, even if the evidence comes back as you not having done it!" thing has been a method of getting confessions from stupid people since time immemorial.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

maskenfreiheit posted:

To be fair, it's good advice regardless of whatever the person is charged with. Vandalism? Murder? Doesn't matter, don't put anything down on paper that makes you look culpable.

He's just offering sane advice to the void.

Now, is the kid a huge piece of poo poo? If he feels guilty enough to want to write an apology, hooo boy yes he's a piece of poo poo. Doesn't stop people from giving him advice (and then calling him a piece of poo poo)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If anything I think the lawyer husband is rightfully annoyed that his wife is pursuing a degree she doesn't plan to use and the reason is deffo tied to some kind of familial feelings of inadequacy.

Like she's pursuing a degree during the most formative years of their youngest children's lives. You can totally throw the fact that the husband works a lot back in his face for the same reasons, but pursuing a degree as a feelgood self improvement project when you already have an agreed on division of parental duties is something he is right to question.

Anyway I myself don't discriminate based around on race when it comes to men. White or black, cum is pretty much the same color and consistency when it's oozing out of your rear end.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm privvy to a fair number of lawyer salaries and how the hell did he find a law school worth a drat is what I want to know.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sestze posted:

Now, is the kid a huge piece of poo poo? If he feels guilty enough to want to write an apology, hooo boy yes he's a piece of poo poo. Doesn't stop people from giving him advice (and then calling him a piece of poo poo)

He doesn't want to write an apology, it's an obligation he has in order to be re-admitted to his school.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Patrick Spens posted:

He doesn't want to write an apology, it's an obligation he has in order to be re-admitted to his school.

I also wouldn't doubt he has left out of a lot of poo poo.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It is pretty hosed up that a college is willing to let a self-admitted rapist rejoin the school, assuming he actually writes the letter. If he does write it, they're letting a known sexual predator back on campus with the equivalent of a pinky swear that he won't do it again.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm just over here laughing that the dweeb raped a chick and all that happened was he had to take a year off and write 500 words on why raping is bad.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm just over here laughing that the dweeb raped a chick and all that happened was he had to take a year off and write 500 words on why raping is bad.

It's an amusing thought, in a black comedy sort of way, but the far more likely thing is that he's being honest about them having absolutely no evidence and they're going to use the apology letter in court to incarcerate him.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, the correct course of action is to tell them to go pound sand, and get the police involved about all these rape allegations. Either he did something wrong, provably, or did not, and the University enforcing hearsay is something you can raise an awful lot of poo poo about and have it come out in your favor.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

I'm privvy to a fair number of lawyer salaries and how the hell did he find a law school worth a drat is what I want to know.

One of my lawyer friends casually mentioned she liked that we both were the only people frugally paying down out debt instead of eating out every day.

Kept needling to find out how much so I was like “oh I don’t have debt, they actually paid me a small stipend in grad school so I left with a masters and 3 years of a maxed out IRA thanks to my internship money.”

Pretty sure she went and cried in the bathroom after hearing that.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cumshitter posted:

It is pretty hosed up that a college is willing to let a self-admitted rapist rejoin the school, assuming he actually writes the letter. If he does write it, they're letting a known sexual predator back on campus with the equivalent of a pinky swear that he won't do it again.

I wonder if he can get away with a non-apology-apology.

Eg: “I’m sorry you have very intense feelings about our time together and I hope time will heal that wound”

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Blade Runner posted:

It's an amusing thought, in a black comedy sort of way, but the far more likely thing is that he's being honest about them having absolutely no evidence and they're going to use the apology letter in court to incarcerate him.

I agree. Rape is difficult to prove in a regular court of law when the victim is traumatized enough to not report it immediately. It's hosed up and not ideal that people are afraid to admit they were raped, but I don't think a student body council is qualified to make life impacting decisions on it in an informal college club setting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

One of my lawyer friends casually mentioned she liked that we both were the only people frugally paying down out debt instead of eating out every day.

Kept needling to find out how much so I was like “oh I don’t have debt, they actually paid me a small stipend in grad school so I left with a masters and 3 years of a maxed out IRA thanks to my internship money.”

Pretty sure she went and cried in the bathroom after hearing that.

I got a full scholarship in undergrad and I was paid for my grad school so my parents just let me have the money they saved for my college :shrug:. Then I run into friends who are like $40,000 in debt and I'm like, have fun with that dudeos

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blade Runner posted:

Holy poo poo do you believe this.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

2 things.

Lawyers are not generally any smarter than the average person so I immediately am with reddit calling lawyer husband an insecure dumbass who is a bad person cause he reeks of it. And is a lawyer so well, is.

maskenfreiheit I get why you need to explain to mirthless he's a broken sadbrians moron, but please stick to just posting stories. It's better this way.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I don't know whether he did it or not. It's certainly possible that he did, and again, if he did, he should be whacked over the head with a stick until he's dead. Or, y'know, sent to jail. Being blunt, though, I don't know whether he did and neither do you, because that's not a thing that's possible for anybody to glean in a couple of sentences. From that post, yes, they're probably trying to get him to write an apology letter they can use in court as evidence because they don't have evidence otherwise. This happens a lot, actually; it's a standard method of tricking someone into giving a confession, for literally any kind of crime. I'm not going to defend the guy and say that there's no way, no how that he did what he's accused of; for all I know, he did, and that makes him a miserable and worthless person. I'm not coming in and saying "ACKSHUALLY, if you look at false reporting statistics, and furthermore..." I'm saying that this is probably a tactic they're using to get evidence against him, whether he did it or not, and you jumping out and insisting he 100% did it and is totally leaving a bunch of details out is weird and unfounded at best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sorry there is no way your dumb conspiracy theory is happening.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Holy poo poo do you believe this.

Whether intentional or not they're making him write a confession to get back into school. If he's guilty then great. He has received some sort of punishment for his behavior. If not, then it's a pretty hosed up situation for the guy.

I in no way believe most rape charges are false. But this is a student council decision, and they have much lower standards than a proper court. If he did rape her 3 years ago the student council doesn't have much evidence to go on and they have way more relaxed standards for proving guilt.

Like, I'm just not cool with with a bunch of students who have too much free time making this decision. Why am I supposed to trust their judgment on the issue in a literal kangaroo court?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

What dumb conspiracy theory? It's...just plain not a conspiracy theory. It happens literally all the time. It's a standard tactic used by law enforcement. I'm legitimately confused about how you could think that this is unfounded unless you know literally nothing about the law or law enforcement.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is no scenario where he should write such a letter that says anything other than "For a good time, call my lawyer"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

There is no scenario where he should write such a letter that says anything other than "For a good time, call my lawyer"

Well yeah but it's also not the school trying to entrap him over a year later.

It's a literal conspiracy theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The school isn't going to take the letter to court. If that's what they wanted they would have handed the case over to the police station soon as they heard.

Seriously why the gently caress was this not just handed over?