Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

And Elder Scrolls combat is almost as bad as Witcher/SoM combat, but at least you can make yourself insanely overpowered and destroy everything quickly so you don't have to experience it.

You can do that in the witcher 3 too. Just put it on the easiest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never imagined in my entire life I'd see someone complain that Shadow of Mordor's combat made you TOO WEAK.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

You can do that in the witcher 3 too. Just put it on the easiest difficulty.

Yeah probably but honestly I ended up quitting on both Witcher 1 and 2 halfway through because the story and characters couldn't keep my interest at all. I'll even acknowledge that 2 was quite well-done as an RPG but the plot and especially characters were insanely boring to my specific tastes. I fear I would have the same issue with Witcher 3.

ImpAtom posted:

I never imagined in my entire life I'd see someone complain that Shadow of Mordor's combat made you TOO WEAK.

You seem to be confusing weak with slow. Sure you can easily murderize Orcs but by the time I was doing a 'kill 100 Orcs in this arena' weapon mission or whatever and you're literally just hitting three buttons for attack, parry and dodge over and over and over and over for minutes I firmly decided I really loathed the combat.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 18, 2017

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mage chess rules. Too bad it was so easily cheesable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

You seem to be confusing weak with slow. Sure you can easily murderize Orcs but by the time I was doing a 'kill 100 Orcs in this arena' weapon mission or whatever and you're literally just hitting three buttons for attack, parry and dodge over and over and over and over for minutes I firmly decided I really loathed the combat.

No, what I'm pointing out is that you pretty obviously didn't understand the combat mechanics. One of the common complaints about Shadow of Mordor is that the tools they give you are so absurdly overpowered that you buzzsaw through enemies like butter. If all you're doing is hitting attack, parry and dodge then yes, it's going to take a long while to win fights because that's the equivalent of playing a RPG and never using anything but basic attack.

Like straight-up one of the recommendations people give about the game is not to level up or to minimize leveling up because otherwise everything dies too quickly and easily.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 18, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In Shadow of Mordor the instant I unlocked the brand ability any remaining challenge was removed from the game since the only way I could possibly lose fights was by loving up royally, or through bullshit like a Caragor jumping on me and the QTE button press not registering, getting me insta-killed.

Overminty posted:

I'm a good chunk of the way through Suikoden 3 and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the changes to the combat system. I'm guessing they were put in place to counter against overpowered setups from the first 2 but they feel overly limiting (my main gripe is that combos with an odd number of members will force at least one character to do nothing).

Still enjoying it though. Characters are mostly likeable and though I was disappointed to find out the composer from the first 2 games didn't work on any of the later ones there are still some nice tracks. This one has wormed it's way into my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDk-qeOJgnw

The combat system is definitely a step backwards but there's still plenty of broken-as-hell characters and setups to use. The only downside is that one of the runes you want for physical powerhouses is a drop-only item that, IIRC, you can only get in a specific character chapter.

If you're playing through the series skip 4 and go straight to 5. If you think travel is even slightly tedious in 3 then 4 will make you yearn for 3's pace. I think Viki's even more out of the way in 4 as well.

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Hugo's is meant to be the "canonical" version of the story.

That's because he's the canonical hero* for that story. The game shows you that's intended to be the case, since Geddoe already has a True Rune and Chris gets one from her father.

*Flame Champion. However Thomas is the Tenkai Star like Tir/Riou/Mute rear end in a top hat/Sun Prince in the other games.

All problems in BG2 can be solved by:

A. Carsomyr/Dispel Arrows
B. Pierce Magic
C. Project Image

A Fighter/Mage or Cleric/Mage. :v:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, what I'm pointing out is that you pretty obviously didn't understand the combat mechanics. One of the common complaints about Shadow of Mordor is that the tools they give you are so absurdly overpowered that you buzzsaw through enemies like butter. If all you're doing is hitting attack, parry and dodge then yes, it's going to take a long while to win fights because that's the equivalent of playing a RPG and never using anything but basic attack.

Like straight-up one of the recommendations people give about the game is not to level up or to minimize leveling up because otherwise everything dies too quickly and easily.

Obviously I also used executions (aka the most boring time-wasting poo poo ever, I sure do love how instead of spending 3 seconds whaling on an enemy until they die I can now instead take my hands off the keyboard/controller for those 3 seconds while watching the same execution animation I've seen a hundred times before) and, once they got loving unlocked - locking a bunch of poo poo behind progressing to the second area, including most of what actually makes the game fun, is another of my biggest complaints about the game, and you also have the power/collectibles gates to boot - I used Wraith skills and poo poo. But the basic sword combat is still really boring, the number of environmental hazards are really small and the novelty of dropping bees or shooting fire-pits quickly drops off, and the most fun you can have is by literally ignoring that you have a sword and just drain/brand/shoot/ambush your way through the game.

E: Besides, I didn't complain about SoM's overall gameplay which was fine, I was specifically complaining about the sword combat because of how it compared to Witcher 2's sword combat (both boring as hell). And Witcher 2 sure didn't have all the poo poo that made SoM entertaining despite the core brawling system.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 18, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone that complains about witcher 3 combat will be forced to play Star Ocean 4, releasing on November 28th

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

All problems in BG2 can be solved by:

A. Carsomyr/Dispel Arrows
B. Pierce Magic
C. Project Image

A Fighter/Mage or Cleric/Mage. :v:

despite it's shortcomings (buggy, unbalanced, awkward scaling to epic levels) the combat in bg2 and especially icewind dale 2 is the deepest, most rewarding and fun RT+Pause system i've played.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Tae posted:

Anyone that complains about witcher 3 combat will be forced to play Star Ocean 4, releasing on November 28th

I mean, if their complaint about whatever other game is the combat being braindead then SO4 will at least offer potentially endless hours of mental stimulation trying to figure out what the gently caress they were thinking when they designed the blindside system.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dyna Soar posted:

what puts me off is reports that the combat, well, loving sucks. and if the game is 50% combat, why the hell would i want play it even if the quests are amazingly freeform and the worldbuilding very well made & interesting?

Really? Even the negative reviews say they like the combat.
Then again I don't care about combat beyond "is it fast and are there loads of cool things to see".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
turn-based combat is good when the animations are speedy and the designers are willing to put any effort into designing something more interesting than "use x special attack, heal, repeat"

i've never liked action turn-based cause it just feels like an excuse to maintain that same boring repetitive pace of combat while just looking different

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah like 3 hours in I was already 1 shotting anyone not immune to daggers or arrows and causing massive explosions to push back everyone when I got ganged on and could have my stand boyfriend triple murder dudes while I stabbed a guy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the witcher combat isn't anything like batman or mordor combat, it's absurdly finicky and punishing while the batman system is really smooth and insanely easy

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

wateyad posted:

I mean, if their complaint about whatever other game is the combat being braindead then SO4 will at least offer potentially endless hours of mental stimulation trying to figure out what the gently caress they were thinking when they designed the blindside system.

I love how Tri-Ace implemented a primary game mechanic that breaks the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean they do that in every game so I have to assume it's intentional now

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What's a blindside system

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

TurnipFritter posted:

What's a blindside system

Hold down a button for the correct length of time and then tap a direction while as close range with an enemy that you are targeting and which is targeting you then tap a direction to trigger a big fancy animation that puts you behind the enemy, sheds aggro and makes your next attack against that enemy auto-crit.

The animation is not, by default, invincible. It feels like a dodge technique but isn't.

If you don't hold the button for long enough then you get a dodge instead, the dodge also does not have any i-frames. If you hold the button for too long then you wind up in a dizzy state. There is no visual indication for how long you need to hold the button.

You may at this point be assuming that the button in question in some kind of block button, this would be mistaken. I like to call this button the unblock button as it leaves you immobile but without the percentage chance to block you'd normally get from standing still. (Its actual purpose on its own is to charge a gauge that gives you a super mode or multi-character combo thingy)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Are you supposed to learn how long to hold in the button purely through trial and error then? Is there any actual reason to do so instead of ignoring the mechanic entirely?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

so it's like clumsy zwee fighting

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

wateyad posted:

If you don't hold the button for long enough then you get a dodge instead, the dodge also does not have any i-frames. If you hold the button for too long then you wind up in a dizzy state. There is no visual indication for how long you need to hold the button

Sounds like it really blindsides the player

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Insurrectionist posted:

Are you supposed to learn how long to hold in the button purely through trial and error then? Is there any actual reason to do so instead of ignoring the mechanic entirely?

There's a reticle on difficulties below Chaos, and some character's blindside are horribly broken in your favor, but yes it's also completely ignorable.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Insurrectionist posted:

Being entirely fair, there is a fairly large window between the point where you've been holding the button for long enough to trigger blindside and where you get dizzied and it's not that hard to get a feel for the timing but you need to have been holding the button for slightly longer than is immediately intuitive.

After a certain point in the game, you regularly encounter enemies that physical attackers pretty much have to crit to deal real damage to. The alternative way to get crits is to use that power up mode I mentioned to fish for them. The game has another mechanic that heavily implies you're supposed to be making a playstyle choice between heavy reliance on blindsides or the power up mode. If you level up the blindside choice far enough then the animation does become invincible but it's entirely possible to see the end credits having had a character set to that all game and not level it that far. There is one boss that can only be damaged by being blindsided.

Detheros posted:

There's a reticle on difficulties below Chaos, and some character's blindside are horribly broken in your favor, but yes it's also completely ignorable.

The reticule mainly indicates when you're in the mutual targeting state and changes colour to tell you if an enemy can / will blindside counter. If it was trying to tell me when I'd held the button long enough, then however it was doing that was not at all obvious.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wateyad posted:

Hold down a button for the correct length of time and then tap a direction while as close range with an enemy that you are targeting and which is targeting you then tap a direction to trigger a big fancy animation that puts you behind the enemy, sheds aggro and makes your next attack against that enemy auto-crit.

The animation is not, by default, invincible. It feels like a dodge technique but isn't.

If you don't hold the button for long enough then you get a dodge instead, the dodge also does not have any i-frames. If you hold the button for too long then you wind up in a dizzy state. There is no visual indication for how long you need to hold the button.

You may at this point be assuming that the button in question in some kind of block button, this would be mistaken. I like to call this button the unblock button as it leaves you immobile but without the percentage chance to block you'd normally get from standing still. (Its actual purpose on its own is to charge a gauge that gives you a super mode or multi-character combo thingy)

There is also an enemy you encounter later in the game that is nearly impossible to damage without using the blindsides or crits IIRC, and the first time you fight the enemy you have to fight several waves of them. And since your dodge/blindside moves don't have iframes those enemies will be more than happy to stunlock you and murder you after they've killed all your AI teammates since your teammates are completely worthless against those enemies.

I don't know what happens after that because I send the game back to Gamefly when I got to that bullshit.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is also an enemy you encounter later in the game that is nearly impossible to damage without using the blindsides or crits IIRC, and the first time you fight the enemy you have to fight several waves of them. And since your dodge/blindside moves don't have iframes those enemies will be more than happy to stunlock you and murder you after they've killed all your AI teammates since your teammates are completely worthless against those enemies.

I don't know what happens after that because I send the game back to Gamefly when I got to that bullshit.

Someone didn't control Meracle for that fight.

And I don't blame you. :v:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Man, I beat SO4 and none of that rings any bells to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Golden Battler posted:

look man i played so3 twice and the only things i remember about it are:
1) let's use copper wiring for this ghetto magic gun
2) it doesn't matter how many worms you throw at me, i'll crush them all
3) black guy whose weapon is a tec-9 that shoots rockets

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CugyaQzmx8

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

silence, maggots....

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Golden Battler posted:

The first fight you have against those phantasm shadow things. I think it takes place on a beach when you revisit the starting world? I try to block all memories of SO4 tbh. I'd sooner replay Infinity Undiscovery than touch SO4.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The only thing I remember from SO3 is the ending where the universe gets deleted but no one dies because the party just believed in themselves that much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people complain about all the actually interesting parts of star ocean 3 like the weird mmo plot twist or albel joining the party, andn ot the insanely boring parts of star ocean 3 like that you spend 60% of the game on a random medieval planet doing poo poo that has no bearing on the plot whatsoever

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's because that part's just Star Ocean.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Endorph posted:

people complain about all the actually interesting parts of star ocean 3 like the weird mmo plot twist or albel joining the party, andn ot the insanely boring parts of star ocean 3 like that you spend 60% of the game on a random medieval planet doing poo poo that has no bearing on the plot whatsoever

To be fair, the latter complaint is more often associated as a huge problem with the entire series, not just SO3.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

ahh yeah I remember that now. It was my first SO game and I had no idea I was going to be stuck on a hick planet for like the entire first disc. I remember feeling pretty cheated. And the big emotional moment on that planet iirc was Fayt failing to save the girl who looked a lot like his girlfriend except she was actually someone he had no connection to whatsoever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most insane thing ive ever seen is still all the star ocean v reviews that start with 'for a game about space, you dont do a lot of space exploration' and end with 'as a long time fan of the series, im disappointed'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U-DO Burger posted:

ahh yeah I remember that now. It was my first SO game and I had no idea I was going to be stuck on a hick planet for like the entire first disc. I remember feeling pretty cheated. And the big emotional moment on that planet iirc was Fayt failing to save the girl who looked a lot like his girlfriend except she was actually someone he had no connection to whatsoever

in star ocean 1 the only time you're ever in a science fiction setting is at the very beginning of the game, and then at the very final dungeon. imagine how bad that must've felt in 1995

you know what bummed me out about star ocean 3 taking place hundreds of years after so2 was how cool it was to keep continuity with familiar characters well, ronixis....

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Star Ocean 2 was pretty okay. I guess.

I can't say I really liked any of the other games in the series though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the insane stuff in star ocean 3 that people complain about is the stuff that actually made me want to play it and tbh the fifteen minutes i spent on it were more fun than any of the time i spent on the first two. i probably would've given so2 a bit more of a chance if i hadn't already been totally sick of its combat by the time i played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

look man i played so3 twice and the only things i remember about it are:
1) let's use copper wiring for this ghetto magic gun
2) it doesn't matter how many worms you throw at me, i'll crush them all
3) black guy whose weapon is a tec-9 that shoots rockets

I remember the button pressure sensitive flute? puzzle.

gently caress SO3

Endorph posted:

the most insane thing ive ever seen is still all the star ocean v reviews that start with 'for a game about space, you dont do a lot of space exploration' and end with 'as a long time fan of the series, im disappointed'

For all it's faults, at least SO4 let you travel to different planets and blow up alternate versions of earth :v: