Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

fruit on the bottom posted:

Uh because that’s thats what happened dude.

Can my ex really force me to hit our son? TN

If the hitting was actually achieving anything, he wouldn't need to keep hitting the kid every drat day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee's family court system is a joke. She's correct to be concerned.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

I knew that a lot of American states are hosed on some law issues but I haven't imagined that openly admitting to hitting your child is legal, holy poo poo.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was legal and encouraged in some states and counties. Tons of folks the good ol' tried and true "wisdom" that kids need the fear of God smacked into them. They'll claim it's totally different than beating a child, but can never explain exactly how.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Palpek posted:

I knew that a lot of American states are hosed on some law issues but I haven't imagined that openly admitting to hitting your child is legal, holy poo poo.

on the one hand you don't want to mandate parental behavior past a certain norm, its impossible to police and parenting is one of those things that tons of people end up doing even if they suck at it

on the other hand there's a huge spectrum of permissible behaviors when spanking is legal ranging from occasional spanks to straight up physical abuse, which is what this abusive father is doing (probably because he, in turn, was beaten by his father, and so on)

it boils down to the cultural norm of people not wanting to admit that their parents made bad decisions, or that they have been taught incorrect parenting behaviors

at least the united states is making progress on corporal punishment being driven out of schools, until fairly recently (and still extant in some rare cases) you could be beaten as a child by agents of the state like a school principal

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Who What Now posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if it was legal and encouraged in some states and counties. Tons of folks the good ol' tried and true "wisdom" that kids need the fear of God smacked into them. They'll claim it's totally different than beating a child, but can never explain exactly how.

Beat the poo poo out of your kids; just don't maim them! :911:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"that's how we did it in my day, and i turned out fine" is the same reason weed is still illegal as well as just tons of dumb nonsensical laws

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

boner confessor posted:

what the dad is doing is technically legal but lol that he thinks he'll have any success even in tennessee family court when he contends that his ex wife doesn't hit their son hard or often enough, especially if they get testimony from the kid about why dad hits him, or that they divorced because dad was physically disciplining a toddler (!!!)

if you ever have to hit a child to enforce your authority it's just an admission that you're not smart enough to convince, persuade, or trick your child. the real revenge will be in nine years when this poor abused boy becomes an angry man who loathes his biodad

"my dad hit me all the time, and i turned out fine" *freaks out and beats a four year old for talking back instead of explaining why talking back is poor behavior*

There's a friend of my mom's who sometimes brings his kids with him on the weekends to stay at our place (they're in Jacksonville and their home was destroyed by Irma flooding). He went through a whole cycle of abusive stepfathers in addition to his biological father, and just about every one would beat him as punishment for anything.

His two kids can be annoying as gently caress, especially the 8-year-old being a total brat who enjoys pushing boundaries and intentionally doing things he's told not to do. But whenever he gets mad, his first instinct is violence. He doesn't even stop to think about whether or not he should hit them. It's like a visceral reaction to respond to misbehavior by attacking.

I had to babysit the aforementioned 8-year-old this past Saturday and I can understand why you'd want to smack him, but instead I spent a long time explaining to him how badly he had hosed up (specifically that he was going to grow up with no friends if he didn't stop behaving like a little turd) and using non-violent punishments like not letting him play with things when he intentionally tried to damage them, and it got him to mellow out a bit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That’s fair grandpa, but you also ate hardtack and died of polio

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Palpek posted:

I think it was a generational thing that is quickly, quickly losing favor as millennials start to raise children. I remember being spanked as a child, it loving sucked but thats just how it always was, our parents were spanked, their parents were spanked and it just kept going. It's become less common but from what I can see it was the 20-30-ish crowd raising children today that kind of just said finally, gently caress it, nope, doesn't matter if it happened to me as a child, no more, this poo poo is unacceptable now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Three Olives posted:

I think it was a generational thing that is quickly, quickly losing favor as millennials start to raise children. I remember being spanked as a child, it loving sucked but thats just how it always was, our parents were spanked, their parents were spanked and it just kept going. It's become less common but from what I can see it was the 20-30-ish crowd raising children today that kind of just said finally, gently caress it, nope, doesn't matter if it happened to me as a child, no more, this poo poo is unacceptable now.

Yes, but they also let children use pools, so is it really worth it?

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

That’s fair grandpa, but you also ate hardtack and died of polio

I just want my kids to have a better life than me but also if it was good enough for me it should be good enough for them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

I had to babysit the aforementioned 8-year-old this past Saturday and I can understand why you'd want to smack him, but instead I spent a long time explaining to him how badly he had hosed up (specifically that he was going to grow up with no friends if he didn't stop behaving like a little turd) and using non-violent punishments like not letting him play with things when he intentionally tried to damage them, and it got him to mellow out a bit.

yeah, this is the biggest reason hitting your kids is a bad strategy. it's not how adults typically behave. if as an adult your behavior needs to be corrected by some other party, you are deprived of some thing - your job might cut your hours or fire you, your romantic partner might get mad at you or dump you, the state may fine or incarcerate you. but nobody is typically kicking your rear end to enforce some social norm

as a parent you have complete control over your child's environment, including what they can do or own. if your lovely teen is talking back, you can take away their car or ground them. if your young child is acting crazy, you can give them a lecture and put them in time out. beating them doesn't teach them how society works, it just teaches them that their parent is a violent rear end in a top hat and that violence is something to be employed by the strong against the weak. you're not teaching your children how to behave, you're just teaching your children how not to be beaten by you, by sticking to your weird and arbitrary rules like not slamming the door

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

boner confessor posted:

but nobody is typically kicking your rear end to enforce some social norm

I mean as long as you are white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56HhQz3zEk8

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Palpek posted:

Beating your children is not merely tolerated, but encouraged in the parts of the US that take the Bible 'literally' (spare the rod//spoil the child). As was beating your wife up until a couple decades ago. I actually don't know if it's legal in South Carolina to beat your wife on the courthouse steps on Sunday or if that's just an urban legend that's been repeated a bunch. I don't plan on finding out if it's true or not.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sierramike76 posted:

We have an update to the woman who spent all her time in the water.

"... It's been 6 days, I called everyone, nobody answers, her mom won't answer me, ..."

She was a mermaid or a selkie, obviously.

dang this mystery got solved so quick the drat scooby crew is still lighting up in the driveway

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

schools can still beat your children in kansas iirc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also the kid's lovely behavior is definitely the result of no discipline rather than non-violent discipline. He spends a lot of time with grandparents who spoil him, and the fact that he's being raised by a single dad means his teachers and day care staff were always afraid to have to tell daddy that Tanner is a terrible hellbeast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

on the one hand you don't want to mandate parental behavior past a certain norm

You don't need to mandate the behavior. Just don't treat assault as "a okay!" if it's a parent doing it to a child. Simple. Laws already on the books.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

how can you post that and not include his sweet action movie barrel roll

Motronic posted:

You don't need to mandate the behavior. Just don't treat assault as "a okay!" if it's a parent doing it to a child. Simple. Laws already on the books.

this is a great way to get voted out of office by tons of people who reserve the right to beat their children as well as the simple minded who agree that beating children is a cool and good thing to do

like yeah, it would be super easy to stop having a stupid society if people would just stop being so stupid all the time, but the reality of implementing these things is trickier. speeding is illegal but in many places everyone does it and it's impossible to enforce because speeding is the cultural norm

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

boner confessor posted:

beating them doesn't teach them how society works, it just teaches them that their parent is a violent rear end in a top hat and that violence is something to be employed by the strong against the weak. you're not teaching your children how to behave, you're just teaching your children how not to be beaten by you, by sticking to your weird and arbitrary rules like not slamming the door
The hilarious/sad part is when parents hit their children to teach them they shouldn't hit other kids.

Hmm, I wonder where your kid got the idea that violence is okay? :thunk:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 18, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Another problem with disciplining your kid with physical violence is it's a difficult habit to break and a great way to give your kid a 100% legal chance to clean your clock once they turn 18.

I came home from college once for a holiday and my dad kicked down my childhood bedroom door because I walked away from him screaming at me. (He used to stand in the door and scream and threaten to have me sent to juvie if I "assaulted" him by pushing past.)

Well anyways, after he kicked in the door I ended up shoving him out of the way so he called the police because I "battered" him and they were like "lol no, you standing in a doorway doesn't mean the occupant just has to accept their new life, you're lucky he just shoved you"

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

"lol no, you standing in a doorway doesn't mean the occupant just has to accept their new life"

:lol:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Palpek posted:

Yeah I didn't know this was a thing, I'm from Illinois where it's pretty loving frowned upon to hit your kid, especially by the law.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MF_James posted:

Yeah I didn't know this was a thing, I'm from Illinois where it's pretty loving frowned upon to hit your kid, especially by the law.

in illinois "A parent is legally justified in using reasonable force when necessary as part of reasonable discipline of a child."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My parents never hit me so they had to come up with waaaaay more hosed up stuff

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

boner confessor posted:

in illinois "A parent is legally justified in using reasonable force when necessary as part of reasonable discipline of a child."

Holy poo poo, I just did a deeper look after you posted this and yeah you're right, wtf illinois.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
“Pick you didn’t eat your vegetables so now you get to choose which prisoner dies.”

The_end
May 17, 2014

Pick posted:

My parents never hit me so they had to come up with waaaaay more hosed up stuff

My parents did not hit me they sent me to catholic school.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pick you did not clean your room so let’s examine the trolley problem.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick's parents got her a whipping boy they could punish without beating their precious broke brain daughter, and that's how she met Hugh

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The_end posted:

My parents did not hit me they sent me to catholic school.

oh they did that too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

VanSandman posted:

Pick you did not clean your room so let’s examine the trolley problem.

Lmao

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Now let's meet our next contestant on Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes! Here's <unnamed boyfriend> with his breakup gambit in order to teach his girlfriend a lesson:

(Ex?)Boyfriend (27M) broke up with me (23F). I slept with a friend (his co-worker) (29M) during breakup, confessed to my boyfriend, and he broke up with me for real.

quote:

Using throwaway. Long story, sorry.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for two years. I’ve always been and still am head over the hills about him, and I love him very, very much. He doesn’t express his emotions and even though we were together for two years, I never knew what he was thinking about or how he felt. It’s just the way he is.

I am the lovey dovey one in our relationship. Always planning romantic dinners, planning romantic dates and etc. I also should admit the fact that I was a bit clingy too, texting him everyday several times and getting upset when he ignores me.

So, long story short, my boyfriend is passive aggressive. He has a co-worker, let’s call him Adam, with whom I get along very well. He wouldn’t tell me that he was uncomfortable with me hanging out with Adam, but act in such a way like if I ask him something, he’d say ‘ask Adam since he’s a very good friend of yours’. I stopped hanging out with Adam, because I knew that my boyfriend was uncomfortable. However, me and Adam continued to text each other because I saw no harm in it. Boyfriend found out, and broke up with me.

So, his passive agressive behavior literally caused our breakup. He didn’t tell me he was uncomfortable that I hang out with Adam, and I was the one who stopped it cause I kinda felt he didn’t like it. But breaking up over something so trivial seemed insane to me because he read our texts and there was nothing sexual or anything that could be considered as cheating.

I freaked out. I WAS GOING CRAZY. I asked him to give reasons, but he said he didn’t want to talk to me and that it was over. He said I was “too stupid” and that he couldn’t handle me anymore. I was very upset, very desperate, very angry. He broke up with me without any proper explanation and ignored all my calls/texts. So, I accepted the breakup and decided to move on.

During our nearly 1 month breakup, I have slept with Adam. BECAUSE I WAS SINGLE. However, shortly after, me and my boyfriend slowly started reconnecting (I was the one who initiated) and he then admitted that he wanted to teach me a lesson and make me desperate. I was very shocked and upset to hear it because he could’ve just confronted me instead of causing all this drama. I felt very frustrated, we met and talked for hours and hours, he then accepted me back and asked me to cut off Adam. I said I will, and I admitted that I slept with Adam, and my loving boyfriend turned into a monster. He called me terrible names, said I was “loving dumb”, “stupid bitch”, whore who spread her legs”, “oval office” and etc. He lost his cool, and he was shouting so loudly that I felt terrified and started crying. I started crying because I felt scared. He grabbed my hand and started degrading me, and said I was the one who ruined everything. Called me a liar, and said to never contact him and said « go gently caress yourself, dumb bitch ».

I was very, very hurt. Everything happened too fast. I was too depressed during the last two weeks, but now feeling better. Haven’t talked to my boyfriend since, but still in touch with Adam. What should I do?

tl;dr I was in relationship with my passive aggressive bf for two years. I get along with his co-worker very well, and we used to hang out. I stopped hanging out with his co-worker causeI knew he felt uncomfortable though he never said so. But he found out that we were texting and broke up with me. During nearly 1 month breakup, I slept with his co-worker and he broke up with me for real.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I got paddled in public school way more often than I ever got hit at home, it was a relief to get sent off to Catholic school for some low key psychological abuse. It's like getting moved from supermax to club fed.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Doggles posted:

Now let's meet our next contestant on Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes! Here's <unnamed boyfriend> with his breakup gambit in order to teach his girlfriend a lesson:

(Ex?)Boyfriend (27M) broke up with me (23F). I slept with a friend (his co-worker) (29M) during breakup, confessed to my boyfriend, and he broke up with me for real.

Where's that gif of Mario ducking under the enormous Bullet Bill? Because That.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

really, we should just send children to prison for the first 18 years.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

Lady, you managed to get your boyfriend to dump you so you could bone Adam, because your boyfriend was a whiny turd; why try to get back with the whiny turd when things with Adam don't go as well as you'd hoped?

And then why act surprised when your whiny turd of an ex-boyfriend acts like a whiny turd?!?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress religion and/or the south

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Doggles posted:

Boyfriend is a whiny idiot, but also it's blatantly obvious that boyfriend was a hundred percent right about being worried and uncomfortable, considering she hosed the guy as soon as they broke up. Anyway, both are idiots, shove it into the giant pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My[22F] mother [50sF] is really upset by my new piercing and wants to have a talk about how inconsiderate I am

quote:

Right.. On Wednesday I got a nose ring. I've wanted one for years and years, but haven't felt like I could get one. Now that I'm starting to be myself and explore the style I want to have, I decided on impulse that it was time to get one.

She was really upset by it. Her reaction was much stronger than I anticipated. This morning she let me know that she wants to sit down and have a chat about how I need to think about others, like my very old grandfather.

She also asked why I couldn't have waited until after he died so I didn't upset him this close to the end of his life. Well, he's been close to death for about five years now, he might live to 110 for all I know. I don't want to put the evolution of my personal style on hold for that. Besides, he doesn't seem to notice the changes in me. He knows me as his grandson (not even trying to explain the trans thing to him), and he hasn't commented on my painted nails or changing body. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't notice my piercing.

Then there's the fact that she seems to think I'm inconsiderate for getting a piercing when I know she hates them (I didn't), forcing her to look at it. We'd talked previously (several times) about my intent to get a nose piercing, and she had always expressed the opinion that it's a bad idea and that it will hurt my life, but she never had this strong of a reaction to it.

I just don't get it! She's been supportive of everything I do. I'm transgender, she supports me. She knows I'm part of the BDSM scene, more power to me. Long distance poly relationship with two people, yay me! Nosering, I'm ruining my life and hers.

I know that I should have warned her that I was getting it. I just want to know if I'm being completely unreasonable and selfish. Is my style really any of her business? What do I even say to her? This is just so unexpected I'm not sure how to proceed.

tl;dr: My mother seems disproportionally upset by my new nosering. How do I approach that conversation?