Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which ends is the front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sheeeeeit, that would make an awesome table.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

BlackMK4 posted:

Sheeeeeit, that would make an awesome table.

"This is not a tool tray"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Too bad everyone with a Mercedes or Ferrari F1 engine coffee table will finish 2 laps ahead of you (if you even manage to finish the race)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Brace yourselves.

I know know exactly what i want in a car.

Riveted aluminum body
Articulating
8x8

It's like something out of Fallout.
By which I mean it's perfect, and I want it.

DiggityDoink posted:

This looks like something out of Fallout and I want it to be nuclear powered.

:arghfist::mad:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

Brace yourselves.

I know know exactly what i want in a car.

Riveted aluminum body
Articulating
8x8

Found a reference to it. I had assumed it was some crazy basement tinkerer's Trabant customization, but nope.

quote:

Recently, they discovered a unique development, created more than half a century ago by the Design Bureau of Hydraulics at the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant.

According to Ivan Ivanov, the new owner of the Chelyabinsk Karkozyabir, this cross-country is the development of Maxim Nikolayevich Melnychenko, the designer of the ChTZ, who was the head of the hydrostatic drive group of the tractor SSCB ChTZ. Approximate years of building a car - 1950-1951.

According to the available data (which still needs to find confirmation), the authors worked on an unusual project initially, in private, but designing and creating a prototype was carried out professionally, with all the team of KB hydraulics, ChTZ.

The car of the futuristic type has rather compact dimensions (length - 4530 mm, width - 1900 mm, height - 1490 mm), hinge-articulated structure and riveted aluminum body. The tare weight is about 600 kg, the wheel formula is 8x8.

Interestingly, the system of a full drive is executed on a hydrostatic circuit, when the internal combustion engine rotates the hydraulic pump, and it leads eight (!) Hydromotors - one on each wheel. All wheels have a system of swapping, plus for each pair of propellers you can pull a caterpillar.

In the design, widely used aggregates GAZ-M20 "Victory". Actually, from "Victory" it was planned to take the engine, but for unknown reasons the engine was not put on the car. Now the new owner is trying to find out the detailed history of the creation of this ATV.

So its engine just runs a hydraulic pump, with individual hydraulic motors in each wheel.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Deteriorata posted:

So its engine just runs a hydraulic pump, with individual hydraulic motors in each wheel.

Aircraft 40k and 60k loaders run the same way, hydraulic drive all around. They sound like they should be doing 60mph with the RPM's they're at, even if they are crawling around at 2mph.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

(Basically you do two dyno runs - one with vtec on and one with it off, where they intersect is where you place the vtec engagement)

I can't count the number of Honda kids who got pissed that "vtec doesn't pop" after tuning their cars this way. The smart ones loved it so it was ok.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

I can't count the number of Honda kids who got pissed that "vtec doesn't pop" after tuning their cars this way. The smart ones loved it so it was ok.

I like the ones that think the low cam lobes are useless and force the high cam lobes at all times

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BlackMK4 posted:

I like the ones that think the low cam lobes are useless and force the high cam lobes at all times

All the stories of "i'm doing a non-vtec conversion, just gonna run the power cams all the time"... I am triggered

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dagen H posted:

Never don't post AMCs.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Enourmo posted:

All the stories of "i'm doing a non-vtec conversion, just gonna run the power cams all the time"... I am triggered

Don't forget 310cc injectors, fuel rail, regulator, and cam gears. Oh and a spoon/mugen ecu.

God I hate (lovely) Honda owners.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

honda whisperer posted:

Don't forget 310cc injectors, fuel rail, regulator, and cam gears. Oh and a spoon/mugen ecu.

God I hate (lovely) Honda owners.

stage 3 clutch on my daily bro

cold air intake right next to the exhaust mani bro

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

What am I looking at? My desire to know more has intensified.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dr.Smasher posted:

AMC AMX/3

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr.Smasher posted:

The Yellow one is the clue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_AMX#AMX.2F3

The Italian-bodied, mid-engined AMC-powered low-slung two door car. Fantastic looking things.

EDIT
Since we're posting American Motors here are two that I owned at once time in Wisconsin in 2008.

The yellow Hornet was my actual first bought-myself-and-titled-myself car, the Eagle was an 85 I bought for winter use.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 19, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:swoon:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
There was a black hornet sedan around the cnr from my parents place back in 1993. Took me years to figure out what it was and It's the only one I ever seen in Australia. Judging by a quick google image search it looked to be a ~1970 model.
It looked like a miniaturized aussie ford falcon crossed with a gm holden torana, with a bit of leyland marina thrown in.
Must have been a PITA to get parts for it pre common internet. I wonder if they ever had a dealer here (like through a jeep dealer) or if it was an import?
E: mystery solved:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Hornet#Australia

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 19, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

To my English eyes, most stuff AMC made or at least put out as a concept was cool as gently caress and I'm sad I'll never get to own one. That AMX/3 is loving pretty.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, the whole thing is just emissions poo poo... :D

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My dad has a yellow two door hornet. I came home from the hospital in it and that could well have been the last time it was running because I have no memories of it other than being in a storage lot. :v:

He keeps saying he's gonna get it back on the road, so we'll see. Probably gonna end up being like Toretto's Charger.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Baja SC/Rambler
This is the result of AMC, being the proprietor of Jeep at the time, tossing a bunch of Jeep bits at a 390CU powered Rambler to make it 4WD and capable of running the Baja 500. 10 were made. Think lifted Nova SS and marvel.

Cool trend imo

stone soup fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 19, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wally Joyner posted:

Baja SC/Rambler
This is the result of AMC, being the proprietor of Jeep at the time, tossing a bunch of Jeep bits at a 390CU powered Rambler to make it 4WD and capable of running the Baja 500. 10 were made. Think lifted Nova SS and marvel.

Cool trend imo

I've seen James Garner's old one of these in person. It rules.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
The recent AMC chatter made me remember these cars. If i ever have the funds to put on a proper build then I'll be turning my Rogue into a Baja clone. I found a thread where a fella who worked on the AIR team building cars is posting some rad pics and stories

stone soup fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 19, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DiggityDoink posted:

This looks like something out of Fallout and I want it to be nuclear powered.

My thought exactly.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

xzzy posted:

My dad has a yellow two door hornet. I came home from the hospital in it and that could well have been the last time it was running because I have no memories of it other than being in a storage lot. :v:

He keeps saying he's gonna get it back on the road, so we'll see. Probably gonna end up being like Toretto's Charger.

Every time he rebuilds it, he flips it again?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, every time I rebuild it I'm gonna flip it.

Because I guarantee he's never going to get it back on the road and eventually it will become my "gently caress I miss my dad" project.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well, the whole thing is just emissions poo poo... :D

I scrunched up my face.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8BufOqfZlE

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

I scrunched up my face.

Well, really, with the AP1 gear ratios and redline, if you shift anywhere near there... you were saying about dropping the vtec engagement point to the 4500 range? Seems like you really shouldn't be below that if making an effort. So yeah, emissions / laziness compensation stuff. ;)

Yes, I know you couldn't actually sell cars that just ran on a profile similar to the high RPM lobes, I just like making sacred-cow-burgers of people touting it for racing stuff.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdLinfqF-9k
http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/news/a-world-first-whifbitz-supra-dual-clutch-transmission-conversion/

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

The comments make me laugh though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wally Joyner posted:

Baja SC/Rambler

Cool trend imo

The Trans Am :911:-liveried Javelins were great

http://chromjuwelen.com/network/345-stanceworks-com/205912-aesthetics-mark-donohues-1971-amc-penske-javelin

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Penske also ran first- and second-gen Matadors in NASCAR.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

My thought exactly.

I only recently discovered, despite playing for weeks, that the cars and trucks in Fallout 3 with intact engines will loving blow up - with a mini-nuke cloud. And if you don't get flat out blown up with it, you'll take radiation damage. And the cars will *stay* radioactive.

Dagen H posted:

Penske also ran first- and second-gen Matadors in NASCAR.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
........ please continue holy poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

........ please continue holy poo poo.

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/the-humbler-five-buddies-built-this-cheap-turbo-jeep-to-go-12s-and-destroy-on-the-autocross/

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094822
(pictures all broken because of Photobucket's bullshit - and my fixer extension isn't fixing them. Changed to a different extension. Fuckers.)

https://www.facebook.com/JeepXJR/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 19, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:iia:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This PB extension worked on that thread for me: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

nice.

thanks!