Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/921097706004733958

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Or discouraging depending what side you are on.

I'm afraid that men in that age group hate their own masculinity because of actions that are not of their own doing and feel forced to identify less masculine then they would normally do this influences of culture.

Oh man, what a coincidence, I'm also concerned about boys' and young men's relationships to their masculinity and how cultural expectations might make them feel as if they aren't sufficiently masculine or feel forced to change how they express themselves in a way that causes them emotional harm!

Have you watched The Mask You Live In yet? It's a great documentary about this exact subject and it's available on Netflix!

You know what else I like that talks about boys and their relationship to masculinity and how to be a good role model so that boys feel confident, safe, and happy in relation to their masculinity?

The Good Men Project

I don't actually read it that often because it turns out I don't actually care about kids that much, but it sounds like something you might be really interested in! Have you tried volunteering for things like Big Brothers Big Sisters? That's a good way to try and model good behavior and help kids grow up happy and supported too!

I'm so glad you care about dismantling the harmful expectations put on young men as they grow up, and about providing them with ample examples of how men can express their masculinity in ways that are healthy and honest.

But really, it's a good documentary and it really is on Netflix.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ReliableSand posted:

It does look like someone maced him though. If you examine the first few seconds of the video you can definitely see a stream of liquid arc up towards his face from the crowd on his right, and based on the immediate reflexive swat up towards his face and stumbling afterwards it looks like he got a face full of mace in his dumb Nazi face.

I’m okay with it. Nazis should be maced.

I don't know how much experience you have with mace/pepper spray but it's not the kind of thing that hurts for 20 seconds and then you're fine after. If he got legitimately sprayed he'd be essentially blinded for a good few minutes.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ReliableSand posted:

It does look like someone maced him though. If you examine the first few seconds of the video you can definitely see a stream of liquid arc up towards his face from the crowd on his right, and based on the immediate reflexive swat up towards his face and stumbling afterwards it looks like he got a face full of mace in his dumb Nazi face.

I’m okay with it. Nazis should be maced.

You can't spray mace in a crowd like that outdoors and just hit one single person who's fine a minute later.

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know how much experience you have with mace/pepper spray but it's not the kind of thing that hurts for 20 seconds and then you're fine after. If he got legitimately sprayed he'd be essentially blinded for a good few minutes.

That and their eyes and the area around it are generally super red with tears streaming down their face. If he got sprayed with anything it was pisssssssss.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

You can't spray mace in a crowd like that outdoors and just hit one single person who's fine a minute later.

That and their eyes and the area around it are generally super red with tears streaming down their face. If he got sprayed with anything it was pisssssssss.

Halfway through the clip there's a frame where he's clearly looking around with clear whites in his eyes with a guilty as gently caress look on his face so yeah

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

PYF found diaper boy from that protest today

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/916528646902439936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

That stain on his shirt really bothers me for some reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah. I remember Lockup doing an episode on what new prison guards go through on their orientation and one of the things everyone has to do is get maced at least once so they know what it feels like and how to respond to it themselves if they ever have to use it on an inmate or get accidentally spayed themselves.

Getting maced fucks you up beyond recovery for like at least 10 minutes after you get hit with it. When that dude turned around and opened his eyes completely, it was beyond clear that he faked it. Loser.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/realgollumtrump/status/921213968705835008

https://mobile.twitter.com/realgollumtrump/status/921215548582703105

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Colin Mockery posted:

Even aside from the watering down of mandatory gender rolls, how many 18-24 year olds who aspire to be "completely masculine" think they aren't yet because they don't have a wife, house, two kids, and a career?

I have a wife, house, three kids, and a career, and I'd rate myself a 2. gently caress 'masculinity'. I have feelings, and i'm going to feel them. I have a wife, and I'm going to listen to her opinion on stuff, and I have kids, and they need to know that doing the right thing is more important than pride or saving face.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

2017 has taught me to appreciate things that I could never have imagined.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Thank you for this.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kaal posted:

I get that you put together a big effort post, but I'm afraid this just isn't true. The concept of a nominal fee is not strictly defined, and it is quite possible to put together a standard security fee schedule based on the level of security required. The courts have been pretty clear about the idea that universities can charge fees so long as they can show that the need for services is real and not arbitrary.

Do you have examples, after Forsyth? The court declined to clarify what a "nominal" fee was (the tension of Cox and Murdock) but reiterated repeatedly throughout that because a permit process is a prior restraint on speech, the factors influencing the permit process must be content neutral. Blackmun explicitly rejects the argument that content can be used to determine the cost of maintaining public order and explicitly rejects the argument that the reaction of others can influence the costs of the speaker. This is precedent until overturned.

The university may charge fees (and may vary the size of the fees) by analyzing factors other than content (size and nature of venue, number of ticketed attendees). I can't square your post with Blackmun's final line in the decision and his insistence that taking into account the public's reaction to speech is not content neutral.

quote:

The provision of the Forsyth County ordinance relating to fees is invalid because it unconstitutionally ties the amount of the fee to the content of the speech and lacks adequate procedural safeguards; no limit on such a fee can remedy these constitutional violations.
e: we also may be better suited taking this to the SCOTUS thread.

marshmonkey posted:

Precioussssssssssssssssssssss

You're a saint. I hope this stays fresh and amusing as long as @mayoremanuel and Owen Ellickson's ongoing election narrative.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Colin Mockery posted:

Oh man, what a coincidence, I'm also concerned about boys' and young men's relationships to their masculinity and how cultural expectations might make them feel as if they aren't sufficiently masculine or feel forced to change how they express themselves in a way that causes them emotional harm!

Have you watched The Mask You Live In yet? It's a great documentary about this exact subject and it's available on Netflix!

You know what else I like that talks about boys and their relationship to masculinity and how to be a good role model so that boys feel confident, safe, and happy in relation to their masculinity?

The Good Men Project

I don't actually read it that often because it turns out I don't actually care about kids that much, but it sounds like something you might be really interested in! Have you tried volunteering for things like Big Brothers Big Sisters? That's a good way to try and model good behavior and help kids grow up happy and supported too!

I'm so glad you care about dismantling the harmful expectations put on young men as they grow up, and about providing them with ample examples of how men can express their masculinity in ways that are healthy and honest.

Ooh, I'm going to watch that. My son just turned 13, and teaching him to "be a man" is the scariest thing I can think of.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. I remember Lockup doing an episode on what new prison guards go through on their orientation and one of the things everyone has to do is get maced at least once so they know what it feels like and how to respond to it themselves if they ever have to use it on an inmate or get accidentally spayed themselves.

Getting maced fucks you up beyond recovery for like at least 10 minutes after you get hit with it. When that dude turned around and opened his eyes completely, it was beyond clear that he faked it. Loser.

The guy who initially moves in to help him sees it too, his disgust is evident.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomBlue posted:

Thank you for this.

Click through and check out the ’shops.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ooh, I'm going to watch that. My son just turned 13, and teaching him to "be a man" is the scariest thing I can think of.

Buy him a forums account! :dance:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

His name was John Rich.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

i can't think of anyone with the right level of ability plus vitriol to live up to the nixon and reagan obits. keith olbermann maybe? ana navarro? ta nehisi coates?

Matt Taibbi or a very special Chapo episode.

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

Paracaidas posted:

[good post]

Thanks for putting so much effort into this! I have legal experience but in an utterly different system, and I got a lot out of this. In fact I've ended up shunting my own work aside and am looking up the precedents you named.

Of course, discussing jurisprudence in this civilized way relies on having judges, not a loving medieval Inquisition:

quote:

“Guess what? I attend a conservative Baptist church. We discriminate, alright. On the basis of sexual orientation, we discriminate,” Jeff Mateer said during a speech to the National Religious Liberties Conference in 2015, long before Trump nominated him. At the time, Mateer was general counsel for the conservative legal organization First Liberty Institute. “Does that mean I can’t be a judge? In some states, I think that’s true, unfortunately.”

quote:

Prayer meetings “need” to be happening in the Department of Justice

You know the attorney general of the United States under George W. Bush was a guy named John Ashcroft. And John Ashcroft had Bible studies and prayer meetings in the Department of Justice. I don’t think they’re doing that anymore [laughs]. But they need to be.

The “separation of church and state” is “nowhere” in the U.S. constitution

I would bring a $100 bill and I would say, “Alright, first person” — and everybody has their iPhone — and I would say “first person to find in the Constitution the phrase “separation of church and state” gets this $100 bill .… And you know what — and everybody knows that, right? — that phrase isn’t in the U.S. Constitution. It’s nowhere.

The Supreme Court needs Evangelical Christians

We need a Republican president who does a good job of appointing people who believe the way we do. You know on the U.S. Supreme Court today — there are nine, obviously — how many Evangelical Christians are on the U.S. Supreme Court? Zero. Justice Scalia points that out in his opinion in Obergefell. How many protestants are on the U.S. Supreme Court? Zero.

“Honest conviction” lets employers discriminate

If you’re an employer, you’re a business person, what you need to demonstrate is you have an honest conviction concerning this belief. So how do you do that? You do it the way Hobby Lobby did it. You have documents .… And Hobby Lobby gives us a roadmap for protecting business persons. It’s not going to be good enough when you call me and you own — uh, let’s take an example, a bed and breakfast. I don’t know why I would use that. You own a bed and breakfast. And you have some beliefs about, uh, let’s just pick a random topic, like same-sex marriage or same-sex couples. And you have beliefs about that. Now can you, your place of public accommodation, can you restrict to just married couples of the opposite sex? I’d submit to you, I’d submit to you, if you don’t have a written policy, the answer is probably not.

https://news.vice.com/story/trumps-nominee-for-texas-federal-judge-jeff-mateer-admits-he-discriminates-against-lgbtq-people

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/10/19/16504104/trump-jeff-mateer-lgbtq

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Colin Mockery posted:

The Good Men Project

:glomp: Both of those are going in my notes.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
^:tipshat:

enraged_camel posted:

Buy him a forums account! :dance:
Whose mod rereg are you?!

It's sort of like a vaccine. Sure, we're the live culture from which the disastrous strains of the internet sprang, but we'll inoculate him from reddit and 4chan and that's all you can ask for. Probably a few subforums he should avoid until he's 18 though.

Mantis42 posted:

Matt Taibbi or a very special Chapo episode.
If they can shift into a notably higher gear, that'd be fantastic. I get the impression they're kind of redlining the vitriol as it is.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

dumbass posted:

The “separation of church and state” is “nowhere” in the U.S. constitution

I would bring a $100 bill and I would say, “Alright, first person” — and everybody has their iPhone — and I would say “first person to find in the Constitution the phrase “separation of church and state” gets this $100 bill .… And you know what — and everybody knows that, right? — that phrase isn’t in the U.S. Constitution. It’s nowhere.

This guy calls himself a Baptist? Keeping church and state separate has been a core Baptist doctrine for centuries, because Baptists were the ones who often faced government discrimination for their religious beliefs. In addition to being a huge shithead, this guy isn't even a good member of his own congregation.

(I'm a non-crazy Baptist southerner who believes in evolution, firmly believes that church and state should be separate, doesn't give a poo poo what bathroom trans individuals use, and thinks abortion should be legal. We do exist)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TheMadMilkman posted:

"Son, you're gonna be dealing with *girls* until get to be around 32-35. Only then will you begin meeting *women*. Sure, their boobs won't be as perky as a college co-ed's, and their personality won't be as bubbly because of life experience, but where a girl will gleefully gently caress your life up and stab you in the back without much of a thought and laugh while (and after) doing it, a woman will look you straight in the eye before she ends you."

Caros
May 14, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This guy calls himself a Baptist? Keeping church and state separate has been a core Baptist doctrine for centuries, because Baptists were the ones who often faced government discrimination for their religious beliefs. In addition to being a huge shithead, this guy isn't even a good member of his own congregation.

(I'm a non-crazy Baptist southerner who believes in evolution, firmly believes that church and state should be separate, doesn't give a poo poo what bathroom trans individuals use, and thinks abortion should be legal. We do exist)

The phrase comes from Baptist doctrine for crying out loud.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

OK, pal, and I’m an internet unicorn that shits cool memes for the kids. :maga:

(Seriously, though, we need more cool Christians out there ‘cause holy hell the Evangelical bloc looks like it’s recruiting folks to run a concentration camp for people of color and/or LGBT folks as of late. Reading articles about how they look right past Trump’s evil deeds is scaring the hell out of me.)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My evangelical republican aunt thinks Trump is a disgusting piece of poo poo.

FWIW

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

eyebeem posted:

FWIW

Well, I can rest easy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Crabtree posted:

I will find this man in this same shirt a few weeks from now and I will grab him by his man titties highlighted by those swastikas and twist his nipples off with wire, hooks and a engine.

He couldn't just be a loving racist jackass, no, he has to also look like a total twat doing so with a shirt that is completely stupid. Swastikas in your arm pits? How the gently caress is this appealing to even their mouth breathing crowd of dickless chuds?! Is also wearing them on his stained tighty not-so-whities and there are nazi symbols on his thighs where he extra wouldn't see them?

This is a beautiful post.

To me, the strangest thing about the Trump phenomenon isn't the blatant racism. I understand that's a feature, not a bug, and is pretty deeply woven into Western culture. What I don't get is, even if I actually was wherever the gently caress Trump is on the political spectrum, with his weird mix of authoritarianism and anti-establishmentism, wouldn't I want someone who was, you know, competent? Like, if you think the government is hosed and needs serious reform, in any direction, how do you look at Trump, hear him speak, notice that his sentences are never about the same thing at the end as they are at the beginning and go 'this is the man to reform a broken system'? Like, I get what they want him to do and why, but I don't get why they think he can do it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eyebeem posted:

FWIW

What about the rest of the 87% of white evangelicals that voted for Trump?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Like, if you think the government is hosed and needs serious reform, in any direction, how do you look at Trump, hear him speak, notice that his sentences are never about the same thing at the end as they are at the beginning and go 'this is the man to reform a broken system'?

Imagine you're as dumb or dumber than Trump, then listen to his speeches again.

It sounds just like your internal monologue doesn't it, man this guy is a straight shooter who really has it together.

Now listen to someone, anyone, explain what the ACA is or what our strategy against ISIS is, whoa that is confusing and complicated, sounds like a bunch of bullshit to confuse us and make us forget the common-sense solutions: just give everyone great healthcare and kill all Arabs.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 20, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a beautiful post.

To me, the strangest thing about the Trump phenomenon isn't the blatant racism. I understand that's a feature, not a bug, and is pretty deeply woven into Western culture. What I don't get is, even if I actually was wherever the gently caress Trump is on the political spectrum, with his weird mix of authoritarianism and anti-establishmentism, wouldn't I want someone who was, you know, competent? Like, if you think the government is hosed and needs serious reform, in any direction, how do you look at Trump, hear him speak, notice that his sentences are never about the same thing at the end as they are at the beginning and go 'this is the man to reform a broken system'? Like, I get what they want him to do and why, but I don't get why they think he can do it.

Imagine you are an average or median fox news viewer: over 65, angry, white, utterly befuddled, with no consistent ideology beyond constant rage and no coherent thought longer than a sentence.

Trump is your avatar/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

eyebeem posted:

FWIW

"But that shrill unladylike Hillary and her emails...just ~shameful~! That Gary Johnson looks like such a nice man."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ask her what she thinks of the rest of the evangelicals

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm convinced at this point we have to brainwash people, possibly through the water supply. The question is, how do we make this happen?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm convinced at this point we have to brainwash people, possibly through the water supply. The question is, how do we make this happen?

LSD?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Bleach, and lots of it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

...just give everyone [cheap and worthless] healthcare...

FTFY. The GOP ~has~ to murder Obamacare before people come to remember (and enjoy) how much better it was than the alternative. They need to minimize the amount of time new adults signing up for their first non-parental insurance coverage have to learn to appreciate it. That's why they were so quick to allow children to stay on their parents' insurance plans until the age of 26. They wanted those young adults to never actually have to sign up for insurance under the new system for *themselves*.

It's still early enough for them to kill it and have people shrug, sigh, and go back to their lovely "get hit by a bus" plans with a modicum of fuss.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

They already freak out about flouride, put anything else in there and they’ll probably choose to die of thirst instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

El Burbo posted:

They already freak out about flouride, put anything else in there and they’ll probably choose to die of thirst instead

You're forgetting about the most Patriotic of liquids: beer and Mtn Dew.

• Locked thread