Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Basically if you want a smaller, more rugged horse we already have those, they are called donkeys and they are very chill and sweet. So just buy one of those and paint some stripes on it if you need to.

AKA a Tijuana Zebra!

Edit: Spelling is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deadite posted:

My boss told me about a guy he knows who bought his wife a zebra as a present. She can't ride it and it can't be trained like a normal horse, but she does have to stable it and care for it like a horse.

I am sure they can afford it so it isn't exactly bad with money, but I was amazed to hear that there is an even deeper circle of horse-crazy.

Also they bought two donkies to be friends with the zebra.

Zebras are known to kill other animals out of spite/competitive nature. They don't just kick, they also bite like crazy. I would take the gift of a zebra as a threat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What I'm getting from this is that zebras are the canadian geese of the equine world.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Are zebras more resilient than horses?

Could be a better long term 'investment' if so.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If I remember Guns, Germs and Steel, most big animals in Africa evolved with hominids as predators for millions of years, while outside of Africa they didn't have the experience to survive predation by a new apex predator capable of using tools.

I'm not sure how horses and various cattle made it if that was true, but it explains what happened to most megafauna around the world.

Bad with Evolution, not being adapted to survive predation by humans.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Moneyball posted:

y'all got any of those BWM horse stories?

White House BWM story: For the Cost of Repealing the Estate Tax, Congress Could Buy Everyone in America a Pony

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Staryberry posted:

AKA a Tijuana Zebra!

Edit: Spelling is hard.

That was the first thing I thought of. Really sad.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 20, 2017

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

potatoducks posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837987

GROUND FLOOR BABY

That is the thread where you offer helpful suggestions. This is the thread where you laugh at how stupid it is.

FrozenVent posted:

Goon project unregulated charity.

I can't even.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm the guy who thinks they should register as 501(c) to handle $200 worth of donations.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If I say "I need money" will they give me the $200?

That's like three and a half months of lights.

BWM is the BWM thread regulars turning on each other over an earnest request to make something not BWM.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i don't think we're turning on "each other" per se. i mean, it's so obviously such a bwm idea on its face that it looks like most of the thread regulars are in agreement.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zo posted:

i don't think we're turning on "each other" per se. i mean, it's so obviously such a bwm idea on its face that it looks like most of the thread regulars are in agreement.

I'm not going to pretend it's a good idea, but I like the spirit of it and I'm interested in seeing how it evolves in an earnest, not bitter and jaded kind of way.

But I'm a more 'stable is half full of hay' kind of guy.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Jesus christ, this thread hates anything equine. I love it.

In regards to the TGSR thread, I agree it's not relevant to this thread at all but if not I would have never seen it. Attempting to help another person out of a rut is not bad with money.

I remember E/N had a guy who was homeless and at breaking point. Goons came together and supported him (her?), with advice, money, emotional support. He got a job at a museum in the end. It was the best $75 I've ever given even if the story was bullshit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

Jesus christ, this thread hates anything equine. I love it.

In regards to the TGSR thread, I agree it's not relevant to this thread at all but if not I would have never seen it. Attempting to help another person out of a rut is not bad with money.

I remember E/N had a guy who was homeless and at breaking point. Goons came together and supported him (her?), with advice, money, emotional support. He got a job at a museum in the end. It was the best $75 I've ever given even if the story was bullshit.

That wasn't the guy that bought expensive jeans from D&D right?

I'm all for the TGRS thing. It's gonna be like 8 people kicking money at each other to help out if they need it. I thought it was like a big subforum when I first heard about this thing, but now, who cares? It's only gonna be bad with money once someone steals the $300 that 8 other people kicked in.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm all for the TGRS thing. It's gonna be like 8 people kicking money at each other to help out if they need it. I thought it was like a big subforum when I first heard about this thing, but now, who cares? It's only gonna be bad with money once someone steals the $300 that 8 other people kicked in.

It will probably go as well as a goon guild in MMOHMO.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dustoph posted:

It will probably go as well as a goon guild in MMOHMO.
Goon Squad WoW has survived for like 13 years at this point though???

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

Goon Squad WoW has survived for like 13 years at this point though???

And isn't in MMO HMO :smug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Butt Stallion is clearly the thread mascot.

Zebras have apparently been crossed with horses, ponies and donkeys. The resulting crosses are called zorses, zonys and zonkeys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

crazypeltast52 posted:

If I remember Guns, Germs and Steel, most big animals in Africa evolved with hominids as predators for millions of years, while outside of Africa they didn't have the experience to survive predation by a new apex predator capable of using tools.

I'm not sure how horses and various cattle made it if that was true, but it explains what happened to most megafauna around the world.

Bad with Evolution, not being adapted to survive predation by humans.

A shitload of Australian megafauna went extinct about the time humans arrived, likely similar in the rest of the world. We're the apex predator.

Horses and cattle are the domesticated versions of animals that are otherwise extinct in the wild.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:qq: "Help Reddit my engagement fell through what kind of depreciation can I expect from my reclaimed Diamond Pony Butt Stallion?!"

:v: "Well as long as the transaction wasn't made on a space station you'll have some legal recourse..."

:qq: "OH GOD!" *sobs*

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dustoph posted:

And isn't in MMO HMO :smug:
Huh I always assumed it was a sub-forum of MMO HMO despite literally posting there (the WoWgoons sub-forum) for like 8 years myself. Shows how much I pay attention to these dead gay forums.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Money leads to drama. Drama leads to anger. Anger leads to bans. Bans lead to reregs.

So the goon charity is probably GWM for Lowtax.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Inescapable Duck posted:

A shitload of Australian megafauna went extinct about the time humans arrived, likely similar in the rest of the world. We're the apex predator.

Horses and cattle are the domesticated versions of animals that are otherwise extinct in the wild.
It's probably not a coincidence that so many of the large herbivores in Africa are complete assholes. Hippos have a higher kill rate than crocodiles; rhinos will charge vehicles (and can shift/lift a small truck or car), cape buffalo are bad enough before you add in that they operate in herds, elephants can roll a vehicle if they feel like it. Even ostriches can be irritable and strong enough to kick people to death. Not that there aren't plenty of chill animals you can eat like gazelle and wildebeest, but its a pretty good concentration of animals that will happily gently caress you up without wanting to eat you.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Huh I always assumed it was a sub-forum of MMO HMO despite literally posting there (the WoWgoons sub-forum) for like 8 years myself. Shows how much I pay attention to these dead gay forums.

It was, but then diablo 3 came out and they made the blizzard subforum and moved it under there.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/77hvmb/i_got_duped_into_a_contract_with_sprint_and_ended/

I can't even begin to describe, I'd paste the body but it's really long and breaks the forums.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it might have been the guy who posted from the library and one time ate hot dogs he'd been keeping in his car for a week and got sick, but I'm not sure.

There are way more homeless goons than you'd expect :smith:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Photex posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/77hvmb/i_got_duped_into_a_contract_with_sprint_and_ended/

I can't even begin to describe, I'd paste the body but it's really long and breaks the forums.

Large phone companies are so incredibly shady and make it insanely difficult to sort out any problems that arise. I had a really minor issue awhile back trying to cancel something where I had to call 4 months in a row because each month I was overcharged, and each month I would ring and go through the entire thing with another customer service person who would assure me that it was definitely, 100% for sure cancelled this time and I was definitely 100% for sure being refunded the extra charges. It was really difficult to find the right combination of menu options to even get to talk to an actual person in the first place, and then I would be put on hold for ages so that person could ring the relevant person in some other department to discuss the issue since customers aren't allowed to talk directly to the relevant people but have to pass everything through customer care.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Great news, Canada! You can now indirectly buy bitcoin in your RRSP and TFSA's! (Think 401K/Roth IRA for you yanks). It's on the Swedish stock exchange though so every trade has a 1% commission to buy. With a minimum charge of $195 bucks. Plus exchange fees and forex.

Also to sell. You did it! :canada:

e. That last one isn't really BWM, it's more 'logical conclusion of poor financial literacy combined with little regulatory oversight and gutted consumer protections in a deeply predatory monopolistic environment'. Feel bad for that guy for getting hosed over, there's more to it than "lol read ur contracts bihtch'.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 20, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Speaking of deeply predatory environments

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Enfys posted:

Holy loving poo poo :stonk:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Enfys posted:

quote:

Uber wrote to me to explain that the screenshot refers to a study in Houston that is part of a research collaboration between Uber and two MIT economists.

We're loving with your livelihood either directly or indirectly (when others opt-in and drive more than usual, it lowers rates!), but it's ok, it's for science purposes. Now drive you dumb assholes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fund manager pro tips: http://www.yetanothervalueblog.com/2017/09/22-timeless-lessons-for-our-22nd-month.html?m=1

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

This is pretty clearly satire

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ranbo das posted:

Speaking as a fund manager, all but two are probably recognizable as satire, and one of those two is hotly debated.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Speaking as a fund manager, all but two are probably recognizable as satire, and one of those two is hotly debated.
I need to know which two.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Enfys posted:

Large phone companies are so incredibly shady and make it insanely difficult to sort out any problems that arise. I had a really minor issue awhile back trying to cancel something where I had to call 4 months in a row because each month I was overcharged, and each month I would ring and go through the entire thing with another customer service person who would assure me that it was definitely, 100% for sure cancelled this time and I was definitely 100% for sure being refunded the extra charges. It was really difficult to find the right combination of menu options to even get to talk to an actual person in the first place, and then I would be put on hold for ages so that person could ring the relevant person in some other department to discuss the issue since customers aren't allowed to talk directly to the relevant people but have to pass everything through customer care.

Yeah but that's not what happened in that thread, the BWM was signing stuff without reading and thinking they were getting a free iPad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hoodwinker posted:

I need to know which two.

Jockey/horse (debated), China (they’re different, for reasons including those listed and their weird capital market)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ranbo das posted:

There is no satirical with money thread though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ranbo das posted:

It's 2017. There's definitely a large number of people who don't know that.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

ranbo das posted:

Are you sure?

quote:

Nothing on this blog should be constructed as investment advice; instead, everything on this blog is the opinion of the author and only the author, and therefore should not be taken seriously nor read by anyone. I may have positions in the stocks mentioned on this blog.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think it might have been the guy who posted from the library and one time ate hot dogs he'd been keeping in his car for a week and got sick, but I'm not sure.

There are way more homeless goons than you'd expect :smith:

I’m pretty sure they’re talking about Unexpected Road (at least I think that was his username). Definitely a trip to read but a really happy ending, at least as far as I remember. I don’t recall anything about him buying jeans though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

There's a big ongoing thread right now which is quite. It's a mix of mysterious possible fraud and terrifying stories of people's lives being turned upside down due to having the same name as someone else or other unfortunate errors:

(US) I'm about to vomit. My checking account is overdrawn by ($500,977.00)

quote:

Good morning. I just got off of the phone with my bank and they're refusing to give me any information about my account because of a "FCC Confidential Hold".
I woke up this morning to my daily available balance email, which should've told me I had around $2k from my payroll that went in last night but it told me my account is overdrawn by so much. I can't login to my internet banking, the bank has disabled my login.
Can someone help me understand what a FCC Hold is and why I am overdrawn by $500k? I've never had that much money in my life.
Update 7:30 PM EST: Nothing has been solved yet. Overdrawn by $3k more ($503,007.00) than I was during the time of the post. Bank states they'll be phoning me in the morning.

At first PF says it's most likely a hold put on his account by the bank at the request of one of the crime/fraud units to prevent any transactions (at least until someone later digs up an old thread by the OP about a really dodgy "non profit" organisation of theirs)"

quote:

Yes, a transaction to remove $500k from an account with $2k would almost never go through. However an employee of the bank or some govt entity trying to put a $500k hold on Charles Anderson Smiths account and accidentally putting it on Charles Andersen Smiths account is more likely.

A lot of the thread is then horror stories of terrible things happening to people:

quote:

I have a very unusual name. Not something like Charles Smith at all. Every few months I get collection calls for things I don't owe. Strange things like cars I've never seen, credit cards I dont own, ect.
Once had the cops show up at my house to arrest me for something I simply did not do. They quickly realized I was about half the age of the person they were looking for and left without arresting me, but it really scared me.
Turns out there is another person with the exact same first, middle, and last name who lives two towns over and he is a much, much worse version of me.
Now I keep his phone number and address in my wallet to give to people who come looking for him and find me instead.

quote:

I have a fairly common first and last name, but they're not that common together if that makes sense. I had to go to the hospital about a decade ago for an emergency. Turns out someone with my exact name (including middle name), born the same year as me, was there the same day. We ended up receiving each other's bills. Hers was for much more than mine. It was a nightmare to sort out and took a couple of years, and it STILL comes back to haunt me occasionally.

quote:

I have had a similar experience, someone in my city with the same first and last name has warrants that have been attached to my license plate. Every few months I get pulled over and have to explain that we have different middle names and I am 30 years younger than the person on the warrant.

quote:

Even just mixups from people having the same first and las tname happen.
I had my dad's collections and public records show up on my report. He's Firstname Franklin Lastname Jr. and I'm Firstname Andrew Lastname.
Getting those removed has been hell, and it's totally screwing up me getting a house

quote:

I'm no financial expert, but I wanted to chime in and give you my experience.
This exact scenario happened to my husband when we were in college. Chase flagged his account as fraud due to a deposited check (which wasn't fraudulent BTW, and only for a couple thousand). The way the fraud department shut down the account was to overdraw it by ~$2 million. It wasn't an error; they intentionally did it this way to block any access to the account.
Of course, we freaked out when we saw the overdraft alert. Let me tell you....you're in for a ride if it's the same situation. He had no access to his money for an entire month, weeks after the check had been cleared as not fraudulent. He had to go to the local branch and talk to the manager day after day after day while they fought with the fraud department to at least get his real money out of the account.
Needless to say, we don't use chase any more. Best of luck to you.
Edit: We use a federal credit union now. I've loved it so far.

quote:

We just went through a "mixup" with the state tax board. They were demanding "unpaid sales tax" and swept our account of about $25,000. Too bad what they identified as product sales was actually service income, and had no product sales tax applied. They reveresed everything, but there were still fees paid to wells fargo, and of course any bounced checks or overdrafts had to be juggled. The worst part was they did that literally 14 days before the event- aka the week we pay for everything like caterers and venue!

quote:

I live in Florida and recently went through hurricane Irma. I had ACH payments rejected for my power and water company due to insufficient funds - I still receive a paper paycheck and wasn't able to deposit it in time. I didn't even know until my water was shut off - THREE DAYS after the due date on the bill. $80 reconnection fee. The utility company is now refusing to accept bank payments (check or ACH) from me for a calendar year - I've got to pay in cash in person at their office. So if that's what you go through after a hurricane, I would expect similar or harsher treatment if your accounts were frozen. Fortunately I keep "emergency cash" on hand.

There's a lot of stories like that in the thread :siren: then someone digs up a 4 month old deleted thread by the OP which makes things sound more suspicious. The post is deleted, but the title and the OP's comments are just baffling :siren:

My nonprofit's executive board seized my bank account registered in my name. [OH]

redditor posted:

Then go to the executive board and have the bat-poo poo person removed from office.
The procedure for doing so will of course be in the bylaws which apparently don't exist. This organization seems to be either a sham or very badly conceived. I'm somewhat surprised that it was able to open a bank account in the first place.
You say there's an executive board. Are you a voting member of the board? Does the organization have an attorney? Not your attorney, but one representing the organization. It will need articles of incorporation and bylaws at a minimum.
There is a difference between an individual and a corporation. It sounds like you don't understand, or don't want to understand, that difference.
This difference is likely to become important to you at tax time.

redditor posted:

I'm flummoxed about how they got a 501(c)X myself

OP posted:

Anyone can do it, why pay a lawyer when it's only $99 on the secretary of state's website.

OP posted:

I was hoping I'd not have to get an attorney for the organization..

OP posted:

We do not have any by-laws at the moment. It's a business account under my EIN. All of their positions are pro-temp.

quote:

EIN is not yours, it's the organization's.

I'm not going to keep quoting everything, but just read this comment thread of people trying so hard to explain to the OP that just because they opened the account (for whatever mystery organisation it is) doesn't mean they own the account