Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Asimo posted:

I'll poke around with the simulator first and see what it does with recipes I had issues with, since seeing something done right can help me figure out where I was loving up. If I still have issues I'll check back in though.

One of the issues you're probably running into is that you're attempting to hit recipe's that are above your difficulty (since you mentioned starting at 60 with Adept's stuff and having trouble with the higher Zhloe stuff.)

In that case you're probably going to have a way better time snagging some intro SB crafter gear from the MB or Kugane to hit the stats required for that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Asimo posted:

Running out of durability, CP, or both before finishing the process or getting the requisite collectability. I mean I know gear's likely a factor, I'm working from 60 here with adept's poo poo and whatever vendor crap I could find, but I had similar trouble with the harder/starred Zhloe turnins during heavensward too. But even if it is gear I'm not sure where to go from there since I sure can't craft anything better.

if you have the adept's set you should be able to make yourself a set of level 60 hq serpentskin (get scrips to buy/upgrade tools if you can't do it with current gear), or just buy the nq vendor gear in Rhalgr's.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Asimo posted:

Running out of durability, CP, or both before finishing the process or getting the requisite collectability. I mean I know gear's likely a factor, I'm working from 60 here with adept's poo poo and whatever vendor crap I could find, but I had similar trouble with the harder/starred Zhloe turnins during heavensward too. But even if it is gear I'm not sure where to go from there since I sure can't craft anything better.

It's supposed to involve Eureka, that pending replacement for the Diadem, so I wouldn't hold your breath about it not being a slog. :shepicide:

...Well first of all, if you're using the Adept's set that's.. well complete garbage. Don't even bother trying to do Mnaago's stuff that starts at 1* level 60 crafts and only goes up from there. Work on Zhloes and collectables until you can either replace literally everything with red scrip i180-200 gear or even level 61 nq gear because adepts is 70 ilevels behind where crafting gear ended in Heavensward. It's the crafting equivalent of trying to go into Sirensong in i145 white gear.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Syrcus needs a lower item sync badly. Every fight is just a punching bag until the boss remembers it actually has mechanics, except oops it died thirty seconds ago.

It doesn't. It's fine as it is.

In, out, you don't win Amon's hat, forgotten until next time.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

hihifellow posted:

There's no general guides I know of for scholar, but you can try this one: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zjHYwu6WI2d-_z7-GM-UFzgxqrNZlS2qdjVL4f-Yen0/edit . It's more raid oriented but much of it still applies.

Much obliged for this guide, I finally got around to reading (most of) it and finishing those last few Scholar job quests. Which, I'd like to add, were completely adorable.

Then I went into Castrum Abania (I want the butterfly tome) and no one bothered standing on Number XXIII's towers, the RDM seemed quite confused about how the elemental shifting gimmick worked, and the tank dropped Grit immediately but sure as hell didn't bother using any cooldowns to offset that. Then he ate poo poo because of a combination of Stab and the towers exploding. That actually wound up being a pretty good lesson in why people like Scholar so much. To get out of that, I just had to use something along the lines of Indomitability to get the survivors out of the poo poo zone, fire off Rouse, Swiftcast+Raise the tank, Excogiation, Whispering Dawn, and maybe a Succor in there. I probably could have recovered from that on AST, but it would have been a lot dicier, especially if Lightspeed wasn't up.

In conclusion, Scholar is cool and tonberries are cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Asimo posted:

Okay, gently caress it, I give up. I have no idea how the gently caress crafting works in this game. It is such obtuse, newbie-unfriendly bullshit. Is there any tutorial anywhere for complete idiots about how to do anything besides brute forcing a recipe by being thirty levels over it? And I don't just mean a crafting macro, since that doesn't do anything to teach me how you're supposed to make any progress in this system before running out of everything.

This is the exact same reaction I had to the Ixal sidequest. :smith:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Much obliged for this guide, I finally got around to reading (most of) it and finishing those last few Scholar job quests. Which, I'd like to add, were completely adorable.

Then I went into Castrum Abania (I want the butterfly tome) and no one bothered standing on Number XXIII's towers, the RDM seemed quite confused about how the elemental shifting gimmick worked, and the tank dropped Grit immediately but sure as hell didn't bother using any cooldowns to offset that. Then he ate poo poo because of a combination of Stab and the towers exploding. That actually wound up being a pretty good lesson in why people like Scholar so much. To get out of that, I just had to use something along the lines of Indomitability to get the survivors out of the poo poo zone, fire off Rouse, Swiftcast+Raise the tank, Excogiation, Whispering Dawn, and maybe a Succor in there. I probably could have recovered from that on AST, but it would have been a lot dicier, especially if Lightspeed wasn't up.

I have the exact same feeling but in reverse. I leveled SCH the old fashioned way to 70, and decided to work on AST next. I actually jumped it at about 40, but even at 60+, I find while its nice in a preventing dmg sort of way, its ability to recover in oh poo poo situations is lacking.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Guess I'll uh..put piercing debuff on this guy and then go stand in a corner or something.

You're not even doing it right. Run with 2 archer NPCs and then mash the poo poo out of the engage button. In stone vigil my guys were doing 600 dps. Each. :getin:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Philonius posted:

You're not even doing it right. Run with 2 archer NPCs and then mash the poo poo out of the engage button. In stone vigil my guys were doing 600 dps. Each. :getin:

It won't let you have 3 dps

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

It won't let you have 3 dps

That's too bad. Running with 3 dps archers + the player you wouldn't even need a tank or healer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

SCH is a ton of fun. It's got what's probably the highest skill ceiling out of the healers due to how Quickened Aetherflow works and the need to manually control your fairy's position and action usage. It never feels like I've completely mastered the class, which makes it endlessly enjoyable to play for me. It's also got some great-rear end glamour pieces.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

meiram posted:

I have the exact same feeling but in reverse. I leveled SCH the old fashioned way to 70, and decided to work on AST next. I actually jumped it at about 40, but even at 60+, I find while its nice in a preventing dmg sort of way, its ability to recover in oh poo poo situations is lacking.

Oh yeah, Astrologian definitely has stronger basic heals, and Aspected Benefic being instacast is really nice. With that said, being able to throw out 500 Potency in AOE heals, 1400 potency on one target, and party-wide regen within about a second and a half is a hell of a panic button compared to Essential Dignity and Lightspeeded Helios/AH.

AST is still cool, and cards are awesome in 8/24 person content.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Today is your daily reminder that the novice network is terrible. Today's subject was how Blue Mages could never work in FFXIV because they couldn't, with this system, perfectly replicate the FFXI blue mage. And also FFXI is a perfect game that FFXIV wishes it was.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Today is your daily reminder that the novice network is terrible. Today's subject was how Blue Mages could never work in FFXIV because they couldn't, with this system, perfectly replicate the FFXI blue mage. And also FFXI is a perfect game that FFXIV wishes it was.

Pretty hosed up that they let Tanaka just post whatever on there

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Jenova continues to have the superior NN. A newbie with the name Public Toilet (??) was asking several legit questions and getting answers. At one point he asked if people could get married in game. A mentor replies with "who would want to marry a toilet, with asses constantly in their face?" (though he immediately recanted and said it came out meaner than intended)

Newbie asks a new question: "Can people be reported for harassment?"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So my fisher retainer doesn't have enough stats any more. Does anyone know what I need to be shooting for?

Also, the new Ala Mhigan gathering gear doesn't seem quite worth it yet, but I never bothered to meld my Serge gear. Should I just stick with the unmelded Serge or shoot for the Ala Mhigan and do some melding soon?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

PhilippAchtel posted:

So my fisher retainer doesn't have enough stats any more. Does anyone know what I need to be shooting for?

Also, the new Ala Mhigan gathering gear doesn't seem quite worth it yet, but I never bothered to meld my Serge gear. Should I just stick with the unmelded Serge or shoot for the Ala Mhigan and do some melding soon?

It seems the quick venture target is 930-940 gathering. This is actually pretty hard to reach with fishing gear, and they should probably lower it so that your retainer doesn't need equal gear and melds to your own fisher job just to get stuff that botanist and miner can get with NQ serge and a couple melds.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

To be fair, every time BLU comes up in this thread there is no shortage of people who seem to think the job would require you to be hit in the face while grinding to learn things (and thus never work) and need it explained that there are obvious alternatives.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Countblanc posted:

To be fair, every time BLU comes up in this thread there is no shortage of people who seem to think the job would require you to be hit in the face while grinding to learn things (and thus never work) and need it explained that there are obvious alternatives.

I just want an excuse for a whip and a Quistis glam

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Thundarr posted:

It seems the quick venture target is 930-940 gathering. This is actually pretty hard to reach with fishing gear, and they should probably lower it so that your retainer doesn't need equal gear and melds to your own fisher job just to get stuff that botanist and miner can get with NQ serge and a couple melds.

Hmm I'll hold off on melding to see if anything changes. My retainer doesn't hit 930 even with a blue mainland and shirt and unloaded hq serge gear. 50 or so short, I think.

As for my main gathering classes, I feel like upgrading for completeness sake, bit I can mine all the nodes with the same unmelded serge with blue mainland and shirt as above. I can't get he on the highest noses, but there hasn't seemed to be much of a price difference anyway.

Maybe I'm just looking for some places to waste some money.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Giving BLU whips would be a neat alternative. Technically, scimitars are what they've classicly had in most of the games, but giving them whips as a callback to Quistis would allow for a more unique weapon type.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It'd be cool if a whip was a ranged weapon and had goofy physics effects

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Give them forks

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SonicRulez posted:

Is there any worse feeling than trying to figure out when to Ten Chi Jin on a new boss and getting it wrong every single time?

I like you.
TCJ is legit one of the worst skills in the game IMO.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

It'd be cool if a whip was a ranged weapon and had goofy physics effects

I would switch to blue mage in an instant if this ended up true

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We now have a weeby tearoom to go with our weebhouse in Omega.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Countblanc posted:

Give them forks

Yes. Let me be the Wonder Chef from Tales of Symphonia.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Rascyc posted:

TCJ is legit one of the worst skills in the game IMO.

It feels like garbage actually using it

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I know I'm about three pages late for race chat, but let me make a case for lalafell:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I can finally put together my Castlevania glam!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

We now have a weeby tearoom to go with our weebhouse in Omega.

we had a spin 2 win party in there

http://puu.sh/y3Grd/336b31a354.webm

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Blue Mage just needs to be a tank and have their abilities name swapped with monster abilities. Then have the class quests be about learning to understand monsters and learn from them.

Problem solved. You have a blue Mage now.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Blue Mage can probably feasibly be turned into any of the roles really.

And you should get abilities by cooking and eating monsters. (CUL 70 required to unlock)

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
okay so I am a level 22 conjurer but also want a tanking class. So I picked gladiator. I have been told that PotD is the fastest way to level.

But I dont get the place at all. I mean, I understand that the layout changes, but whats the goal / point? Just a rogue-like dungeon crawler experience?

edit: I am also going to buy ARR to start out with. So hit me up with your sexiest referal things.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thatim posted:

But I dont get the place at all. I mean, I understand that the layout changes, but whats the goal / point? Just a rogue-like dungeon crawler experience?
Pretty much! The main thing is that your normal level and stats and gear don't matter in there, and in the dungeon you level at an exceptionally fast rate, so in theory you can see how well the class plays at higher levels (it scales up to 60) without having to put a lot of sunk time into it. In practice it isn't quite an accurate experience since things die far quicker than normal dungeons and it's generally a different experience, but you still get a big chunk of a level's worth of XP for completing a run.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thatim posted:

okay so I am a level 22 conjurer but also want a tanking class. So I picked gladiator. I have been told that PotD is the fastest way to level.

edit: I am also going to buy ARR to start out with. So hit me up with your sexiest referal things.

That's basically the point of Palace of the Dead. It's not a good place to learn how to play your class though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you're leveling a tank or healer, just do guildleves until level 15 and then strap in for duty roulette.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thundarr posted:

So for Gatherer ventures all that matters is gathering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Thatim posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726688

Shy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 21, 2017