Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is not accurate. The GOP should have the serene face of someone who is accepted their place in the universe.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

WE REJECT THE EUROPEAN UNION. EXPATRIATE! EXPATRIATE!

I appreciate you.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Where are these GOP concerned over Trump's actions? *batman voice* WHERE ARE THEY?!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ularg posted:

Where are these GOP concerned over Trump's actions? *batman voice* WHERE ARE THEY?!

Oh they're very concerned. I'd even say they're disturbed

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ularg posted:

John McCain is very concerned at all times, about all things.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ularg posted:

Having lived thru Nixon (yes, I'm old) I have very little optimism that Trump will be trumped.

Why? Because unlike the Nixon era, the Democrats are pathetically weak. They represent no threat in the midterms and they won't clean house to fix it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

Having lived thru Nixon (yes, I'm old) I have very little optimism that Trump will be trumped.

Why? Because unlike the Nixon era, the Democrats are pathetically weak. They represent no threat in the midterms and they won't clean house to fix it.

How the gently caress were Democrats not weak in the Nixon era following the disastrous McGovern campaign?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fulchrum posted:

How the gently caress were Democrats not weak in the Nixon era following the disastrous McGovern campaign?

They held both chambers of Congress from JFK to Reagan and even he couldn't take the House.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

they won't clean house to fix it.
Don't worry, Perez has you covered.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

No, but unironically this.

War is hell, a poorly run war is even worse.

But that is why presidents need to be more civil. Being intentionally inflammatory makes it much more likely that war breaks out. Trump has made threats of Fire and Fury, or "only one thing will work" or any other dozen ways he's threatened nuclear war. The Korean peninsula is nuclear armed, with China and Japan in close range. Estimates have the death toll at 50,000 in the first 5 minutes with close to a million within the first 48 hours and that's assuming the nukes don't even come into the picture. If nukes get involved, it could be the deadliest conflict since WWII in a matter of a week.

And Trump's carelessly and almost unknowingly pushing us towards that.

Bush chose a war we didn't need to do, but he did not speak so recklessly or without regard for the weight of his words. And his mistake in Iraq doesn't mean he's wrong forever about everything.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tom Perez, he's certainly no Romney McDaniel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

Bush chose a war we didn't need to do, but he did not speak so recklessly or without regard for the weight of his words.

He literally said that god told him to go to war.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Does anyone else feel like our options for political representation have become fringe crazies, unabashed corporatists, and secret-not-so-secret Fascists? Almost as if we have to choose between a future like Snow Crash or one like 1984. Team "will do almost anything for money" is clearly better than team "gently caress over minorities and women" but why can't we do any better than that?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Does anyone else feel like our options for political representation have become fringe crazies, unabashed corporatists, and secret-not-so-secret Fascists? Almost as if we have to choose between a future like Snow Crash or one like 1984. Team "will do almost anything for money" is clearly better than team "gently caress over minorities and women" but why can't we do any better than that?

Your voting system mostly.

Also your media.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This coverage is pretty openly poo poo-stirring.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Alhazred posted:

Whats worse. A religious zealot going to war or an overcompensating moron going to war.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Does anyone else feel like our options for political representation have become fringe crazies, unabashed corporatists, and secret-not-so-secret Fascists? Almost as if we have to choose between a future like Snow Crash or one like 1984. Team "will do almost anything for money" is clearly better than team "we will do almost anything for money and also gently caress over minorities and women" but why can't we do any better than that?

Fixed for the sake of tedious nitpicking.

Anyway, the archaic American political system combined with the unscrupulous and psychotic vector of state violence that is our police force is, if nothing else, sublime in its design at holding the electorate hostage while enforcing a narrow spectrum of political and economic philosophy. There are a bevy of reasons why this country ought to have fallen apart long ago and it is legitimately something of a historical marvel that this thing is still going with the same foundation for over two centuries.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I like how the map-territory relation has slid so far that loyalty to Bernie Sanders IS progressivism.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Alhazred posted:

So he's the first president ever to say god is on our side then? No one else has used those words?

You're presenting it like that was why he made that decision, that he was agnostic on the topic of war until he heard god tell him to go gently caress up Iraq. He wanted that war since he got into office. He was talking in the summer of 2001 about the dangers of Iraq.

And even if I went with the other version, I'd argue that "god told me to" is still more measured language than 9/10 statements Trump has made. Because unlike Trump, Bush went out of his way to assure Muslims we were not at war with you, and that our enemy was not "Iraq" but "Iraq's current government." Where was Bush's threat of fire and fury if Iraq said any more mean things? When did Bush threaten to "totally destroy" Iraq with nuclear weapons?

He loving didn't, and his speech about the dangers of populist nationalism or careless threats of war is entirly valid even though he made a colossal loving mistake.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

The Russian Nuclear firm Rosatom bought Canadian mining company Uranium One in 2010. The deal gave Putin control over 20% of the U.S. Uranium supply.

The Hill reported last week that the FBI knew that Russian nuclear officials were involved in racketeering schemes in the U.S. prior to the purchase. The Russians had also directed millions of dollars to the Clinton Foundation and paid Bill Clinton hundreds of thousands in speaking fees.

Robert Mueller was FBI Director when the probe of possible Russian collusion on nukes began in 2009 and James Comey was director when it ended in 2015.

Meanwhile, Attorney General Eric Holder and Secretary of State Clinton both sat on a committee that approved the Uranium One deal in 2010.

Mark Steyn’s reaction: “Fancy that! A racketeering scheme centered on the Clintons! Who’da thunk it?”

Unlike the current “Russia investigation”, where details of dawn raids on Paul Manafort are gaily leaked hither and yon, Mueller and Comey managed to keep the lid on this one for the six-plus years it was active. And happily it doesn’t seem to have obstructed either the Clintons’ or the Russians’ mutually beneficial relationship.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cpt.Americant posted:

So he's the first president ever to say god is on our side then? No one else has used those words?

You're presenting it like that was why he made that decision, that he was agnostic on the topic of war until he heard god tell him to go gently caress up Iraq. He wanted that war since he got into office. He was talking in the summer of 2001 about the dangers of Iraq.

And even if I went with the other version, I'd argue that "god told me to" is still more measured language than 9/10 statements Trump has made. Because unlike Trump, Bush went out of his way to assure Muslims we were not at war with you, and that our enemy was not "Iraq" but "Iraq's current government." Where was Bush's threat of fire and fury if Iraq said any more mean things? When did Bush threaten to "totally destroy" Iraq with nuclear weapons?

He loving didn't, and his speech about the dangers of populist nationalism or careless threats of war is entirly valid even though he made a colossal loving mistake.

Imperialism is bad and it doesn't really matter what words you use to dress it up in. Bush murdered a million people so that he could hand the looted wealth of a nation over to his frat buddies. If he has anything he wants to say he can say it in front of The Hauge otherwise he can shut the gently caress up.

A million dead Iraqis is just a mistake.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 24, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Starving Wolf posted:

Winslow: I got shot at, ban all gunz! I am a dumb trashfox!
Carmen, a child: Well, actually, as a constitutional absolutist I believe that the second amendment is fundamentally inst-
Hunny Bunny: guns are why I lost, ban guns!
Carmen: But that's silly, because the constitution is the f-
Hunny Bunny: don't care, world is a gently caress, buy my book

EVERYONE: boy people sure are divided nowadays

Spread over 12 strips.

On track so far.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A. Wiener.

Ignoring his paternalistic bullshit for a second, he couldn't even make a serious cartoon without making a wiener joke, which is rich considering his name is loving Sack.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Thank God republicans were able to expose this progressive menace!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

What the gently caress's happened to Tinsley's drawing hand recently? Why is Mallard so totally hosed? Why are they coming out this sketchy and awful?

Is he finally behind schedule? Is he finally dying? Can we all finally be released from this self-imposed hell?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Thank God republicans were able to expose this progressive menace!
There’s “but you lynch negroes” arguments but then also there’s when your side is doing the exact same loving thing and more powerful than ever.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

rodbeard posted:

A. Wiener.

Ignoring his paternalistic bullshit for a second, he couldn't even make a serious cartoon without making a wiener joke, which is rich considering his name is loving Sack.

I figure it's more that Anthony Weiner wouldn't have fit unless he wrote the letters smaller, or broke it onto two lines. 'A. Weiner' is already more than halfway across the page without getting six more letters in there. But you can't blame him for the name.

Could've done Rep. Weiner I guess.

edit: wouldn't, not would

Prism fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 24, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rodbeard posted:

A. Wiener.

That's literally the guy's name.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The country has a left, and it's awake, even if it is constantly getting blackballed from the only viable political party in the country that doesn't require a strong desire to glass the Middle East as a membership requirement. Things can still get better, but it's looking very strongly like they won't get better next year, or two years after that. Gotta think long-term.

Shangri-Law School posted:

I like how the map-territory relation has slid so far that loyalty to Bernie Sanders IS progressivism.

In my experience the ones who parse everything in terms of loyalty are the centrists, since commitment to ideals rather than personal allegiance would necessarily take you to one side of the political spectrum or the other

your post only serves as evidence of it

loquacius fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 24, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

loquacius posted:

The country has a left, and it's awake, even if it is constantly getting blackballed from the only viable political party in the country that doesn't require a strong desire to glass the Middle East as a membership requirement. Things can still get better, but it's looking very strongly like they won't get better next year, or two years after that. Gotta think long-term.

IMO it doesn't help that too many people are outrage-focused rather than builders. The dismissive complaints and nihilism about the Democrats that I see pretty much everywhere is insanely counterproductive. Lots of putative leftists don't engage in Democratic politicking, they don't vote in primaries, a lot don't even bother voting in elections because gently caress it. Shitheads rule the world because shitheads vote. TPUSA rules the republican party because they primaried everyone and the rest of their coalition didn't care. Democrats exist in a weird state of being leftists in an uneasy alliance with hippie punchers because that's how Bill Clinton won (-ish) elections. But that was a generation ago. The Democrats are moving left overall but people who grew up in one politics, stick to that politics. And only participation in the left coalition - which is what the Democrats *are* - can push out hippie punchers in favor of progressives etc.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Office Pig posted:

Fixed for the sake of tedious nitpicking.

Anyway, the archaic American political system combined with the unscrupulous and psychotic vector of state violence that is our police force is, if nothing else, sublime in its design at holding the electorate hostage while enforcing a narrow spectrum of political and economic philosophy. There are a bevy of reasons why this country ought to have fallen apart long ago and it is legitimately something of a historical marvel that this thing is still going with the same foundation for over two centuries.

Nah, the average empire lasts 250 years and plays out in mostly the same ways, we're just unique and special in that in lieu of barbarians or local disaster we built a global climate catastrophe to usher us out.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sandpuppy posted:

I see Pope is a fan of the Bridge Constructor genre of video games.

You mean, the Pontifex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMteXK2fRog

I miss that game.

Edit:

Oh, you mean Pope, the cartoon artist, not The Pope from Rome (aka, the Pontifex)

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 24, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I wish, back before my parents retired the drug swag they got get was amazing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

IMO it doesn't help that too many people are outrage-focused rather than builders. The dismissive complaints and nihilism about the Democrats that I see pretty much everywhere is insanely counterproductive. Lots of putative leftists don't engage in Democratic politicking, they don't vote in primaries, a lot don't even bother voting in elections because gently caress it. Shitheads rule the world because shitheads vote. TPUSA rules the republican party because they primaried everyone and the rest of their coalition didn't care. Democrats exist in a weird state of being leftists in an uneasy alliance with hippie punchers because that's how Bill Clinton won (-ish) elections. But that was a generation ago. The Democrats are moving left overall but people who grew up in one politics, stick to that politics. And only participation in the left coalition - which is what the Democrats *are* - can push out hippie punchers in favor of progressives etc.

You realize of course that what precipitated this conversation was the news that a whole lot of progressives who were participating in the left coalition have just been expelled from it

You're not wrong, though -- the reason Third-Wayists run the Democratic Party is that they took control of it 25 years ago and have spent all that time consolidating power. And a lot of idealistic young people are really burned-out on the entire system, which isn't constructive. But since 2016 more young people than ever are getting involved in politics. It's just a slow-burn process that requires a lot of people to retire without replacing themselves with sycophants.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Remember, the left is cleanly divided into evil centrists and noble progressives, defined by the party functionaries they support in the Perez-Ellison scuffle (Ellison's still there, does this mean he's a sellout now?). The DNC isn't even that important, but if you have members willing to blow up the coalition when they don't get everything they want, which defeats the entire purpose of a political party, you may need to clean house.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember, the left is cleanly divided into evil centrists and noble progressives, defined by the party functionaries they support in the Perez-Ellison scuffle (Ellison's still there, does this mean he's a sellout now?). The DNC isn't even that important, but if you have members willing to blow up the coalition when they don't get everything they want, which defeats the entire purpose of a political party, you may need to clean house.

yes hm very wise *puffs bubble pipe*

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Would you like to substantiate this little smear of yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cpt.Americant posted:

On the one hand, probably not the first president ever to express that exact sentiment.

On the other, that's not what W said. What he said, according to the biography of him by Jean Edward Smith, was:

quote:

According to Smith, in a January 2003 phone call between Bush and Frech President Jacques Chirac, during which Bush urged the French president to support a United Nations Security Council resolution on Iraq, Bush allegedly told his counterpart, "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase His people’s enemies before a new age begins"
(foreignpolicy dot com, where I stole that specific quote from, thinks it's bullshit... but, well, let's just say it's recent enough to be partisan.)

• Locked thread