Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

demota posted:

GAG looks pretty cool and I think I'm interested in it. How are anime vampires differentiated from normal vampires? I've got a hankering for Jojo-style madness.

LONG POST WARNING

From my thorough "research" into a comical amount of anime, the answer is not very. Anime does tend to trend toward very specific versions of the vampire "rules," though, and for GAG I'm kind of amalgamating the average. The older the vampire, the less it comes off like a vampire and more like an eldritch abomination. The Oldest Vampires are straight up imperceptible blood god soul mysteries that alter reality, more like plagues or supernatural disasters or a new physical law than people. The vampires they made can blacken the skies and kill crops for miles around them, but are tangible and not just A Manifested Concept of Evil. The vampires THOSE guys made are pretty tough but can be feasibly fought, and so forth. It might be something about the purity of blood going back to the first vampire, it might just be an age thing. New/young vampires lack control, act crazy, and are basically just tough mooks typically working in gangs for their masters (who work for their masters, who work for THEIR masters, on up the hierarchy).

Vampires in anime tend to play fast and loose with the normal restrictions, even within a single series. They don't need to drink blood but they can heal if they do. They're not affected by crosses unless they are, OR if they're REAL bad rear end they melt crosses in their presence.

Luckily, GAG has a Quirks system that plays into this frustrating inconsistency perfectly. In GAG, your main meta-resource is also your stats. You can lower your Powerful score or your Charming score or whatever to activate certain powers, reroll certain checks, etc. Quirks are character behaviors that can get you in trouble, limit you, put your group in danger, or whatever... when you want them to. If your character is Greedy, you're not obligated to act greedy. BUT, when you do, and if your greed presents a real problem for you or your party, you recover one of those stat points you burned. Thus, how anime vampirism works:

Let's say the dude your party needs to get information from is inside a church. Your vampire can power through it, walk into the church, no big deal. Or... if you burned a point earlier that day, you can declare that your vampire can't bring himself to enter the church. Bam. Your party has to do the interrogation without you, you get a point back. Or, you've got a bad guy cornered... and he whips out a cross. You can say "fffuck that" and continue the fight, OR you can say "oh no my vampire is repelled by the cross," bad guy gets away and you get a point back. Same way with needing to feed. Blood Drink will very much be a power in the game you can take, but your character doesn't have urges and he doesn't have a death timer or anything if he doesn't feed. ...Though, if you want to capitalize on that Vampirism Quirk, you can jump right into "my character needs to do something real unbecoming real quick" and get a point back. It doesn't NEED to be as extreme as slaughtering a town or whatever--even drinking one of the bad guys right in front of your whole party is kind of a huge deal if they're not ready to see that, and putting yourself at odds with your party or creating internal conflict meets the criteria for activating a Quirk.

Other weird vampire powers can all be slotted pretty easily as normal GAG stuff. Running up walls and across water is in the GAG core, turning into a swarm of small animals will be in ORDER, and it all works on a system of "new level? Take a new power," so you can hodgepodge together whatever weird traits you want to build Your Idea of a Vampire.

edit: As a side note, the power Blood Drink requires physical contact but doesn't necessarily require you to bite the victim. You can rip a guy's blood out through his pores if that's your bag. Currently, Blood Drink lets you deal damage and recover HP but gives you a penalty on defense checks for a while (as drinking blood leaves you vulnerable).

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I bought the original GAG and can attest it is an A+ game. Really nicely done even with the low art, and I backed GAG Order as soon as I saw it was up.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Part of me wants to back Seven Worlds for Savage Worlds, beacuse I love hard scifi. On the other hand, I am generally skeptical of splashing a setting on Savage Worlds and calling it good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I bought the original GAG and can attest it is an A+ game. Really nicely done even with the low art, and I backed GAG Order as soon as I saw it was up.

I just picked up the first book for GAG and am really liking it a ton so far. Genre emulation is one of my favorite things to see in an RPG and this seems to have it in spades.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

My understanding is that actually computer electronics are mostly not "on" and "off" but "low" and "high". The real issue is that having a transistor with three output voltages instead of two doesn't actually give you a bunch more options to create logic gates, plus, you now have to basically add a power level that is another step above your old "high" power level, because computers especially within CPUs are already operating at the lowest power possible to try to reduce power consumption and heat production. So you're just inventing a more complicated, hotter chip in order to gain some sort of vague "more=better" advantage because of reasons.

I may be off on some of the above because I'm remembering stuff from 20+ years ago though.

If you're working strictly with high and low I believe you can do some things by inverting the current so you're working with "negative", "about zero", and "positive" (this doesn't work if you're already using "negative" for 0 and "positive" for 1, though!) and there's been some theorized benefits because you can work with a base of 3 which is approximately the base of the natural logarithm so you can do logarithms at increased performance but that's really theoretical.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

LatwPIAT posted:

If you're working strictly with high and low I believe you can do some things by inverting the current so you're working with "negative", "about zero", and "positive" (this doesn't work if you're already using "negative" for 0 and "positive" for 1, though!) and there's been some theorized benefits because you can work with a base of 3 which is approximately the base of the natural logarithm so you can do logarithms at increased performance but that's really theoretical.

Isn't the problem with this that RAM and storage become really difficult problems? I know people have built ternary computers before though so someone has a solution but I suspect anything is outweighted by the fact that everything else uses binary.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Silly question regarding your kickstarter. Do you get the pdf containing the core game's rulebook after you pledge or is that delivered after the kickstarter is over?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

Silly question regarding your kickstarter. Do you get the pdf containing the core game's rulebook after you pledge or is that delivered after the kickstarter is over?

After the Kickstarter is over. I'm ... not real sure I have a way to send stuff to people during the Kickstarter?

I'm still figuring out Kickstarter.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The usual method is to post a url to it in a backers-only update. Yeah, folks can back for a dollar and then cancel, but there's always gonna be jerks and it's usually not worth worrying about.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok. I was just curious because the idea behind GAG sounds like fun but I'm trying to see if any of my buddies would be up for it but it's a little tough to sell them on it when I don't even have the pdf for it yet :v: I'm just trying to figure out which would be easier, either tossing money at your kickstarter to help you with your expansion or just buying the core rulebook.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

After the Kickstarter is over. I'm ... not real sure I have a way to send stuff to people during the Kickstarter?

I'm still figuring out Kickstarter.

Link to a draft copy on Dropbox or wherever in a backers-only update. Then take that link down once you start sending out poo poo for real.

That's how I did it anyway.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
It is done

There should be a backers-only update for picking up the original PDF now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It is done

There should be a backers-only update for picking up the original PDF now.

Cool. I'm gonna talk to my fiancee tomorrow about if she's fine with me backing or not, I'm sure it won't be an issue. I look forward to getting to read through the core rulebook and getting some of my pals together to play (hopefully) :D

One last question though. Is this expansion kickstarter only going to add 2 new classes or are there other classes you haven't included in the kickstarter description? I'm mostly asking because I'm curious about how easily I could make a jojo-esque character. Given that JJBA is firmly cemented in the supernatural and horror genre, a class that specializes in summoning a physical manifestation of their soul as a separate-but-still-connected being in order to perform various actions sounds like it would be fun and would fit in well enough, but I don't know if that's possible to make with your rulebook.

Good luck with your kickstarter!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool. I'm gonna talk to my fiancee tomorrow about if she's fine with me backing or not, I'm sure it won't be an issue. I look forward to getting to read through the core rulebook and getting some of my pals together to play (hopefully) :D

One last question though. Is this expansion kickstarter only going to add 2 new classes or are there other classes you haven't included in the kickstarter description? I'm mostly asking because I'm curious about how easily I could make a jojo-esque character. Given that JJBA is firmly cemented in the supernatural and horror genre, a class that specializes in summoning a physical manifestation of their soul as a separate-but-still-connected being in order to perform various actions sounds like it would be fun and would fit in well enough, but I don't know if that's possible to make with your rulebook.

Good luck with your kickstarter!

Thanks!

The Mad Scientist and the Priestess will be the only new classes, as far as I have planned at the moment.

The core book has the Delinquent, Esper, Everyguy, Gun Bunny, Magical Girl, Mecha Pilot, Primal, Shonin, and Witch, with most gimmicks being class specific but a fat chunk of them are cross-classable with no penalty or drawback of note.

I actually need to watch more Jojo's, but it's gotten popular enough that I'll probably try to find some way to do Stand-likes in the game. With the sort of off the wall stuff that already constitutes gimmicks, and rules for followers/minions/etc being pretty self contained/balanced already, I can probably sneak Stands in as one well-worded gimmick.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Finally got my Gloomhaven! Too bad that the glue failed completely on a couple of the punchboards so I'll have to wait for replacements now.
The game looks great though.

Edit: Wrong thread but it's on topic enough.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 24, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I actually need to watch more Jojo's, but it's gotten popular enough that I'll probably try to find some way to do Stand-likes in the game. With the sort of off the wall stuff that already constitutes gimmicks, and rules for followers/minions/etc being pretty self contained/balanced already, I can probably sneak Stands in as one well-worded gimmick.

Well, I don't know how much it helps but in Jojo, stands are pretty much just "psychic manifestation that does [specific thing]" so, without having read the rules for GAG and only basing this off of what I assume the rules are, it'd more-or-less operate as a way to perform an oddly-specific thing via soul-projection, with the distance you can perform said task at being based around whether the oddly-specific thing is purely physical or more out-there, with examples of more focused, smaller-ranged stand being "can unravel own body into string" or "can create bubbles that take away something from enemy, such as moisture, friction, sight" while examples of longer-ranged stands being things like "can tag an enemy with physical manifestation of their guilt" and "can tag an enemy so that any time open something, they are are attacked by a very harsh and cold breeze that knocks them away" and "can make anything in a nearby range below a certain altitude begin to rot away" and "tags an enemy with a life-leeching stand that follows them around at a speed of 60 km/hr"

The author plays fast and loose with any established rules but it's pretty much just "whatever is cool" and "whatever recent horror movie he watched" and "whatever is cool again"

So how often do you play GAG?

e: spoke with my fiancee and she said backing your kickstarter is fine once her payday comes (which is this Friday) so yay. I look forward to checking out the rulebook. A few of my friends are up for playing it so at least I know I'll have people to play with.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 24, 2017

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

If I ever do a kickstarter video it'll start with someone breaking into my house and going through my stuff before they enter the room I'm in and I give them the ol' oh hello, didn't see you there

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1369986283/goblins-animated

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

That is some of the ugliest character design I have ever seen.

Also, no Frank Welker? Is that even allowed?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Wasn't the last Goblins Kickstarter a complete shitshow or was it that thing where fans of the comic had to pay real money to keep a particular character alive?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

clockworkjoe posted:

Wasn't the last Goblins Kickstarter a complete shitshow or was it that thing where fans of the comic had to pay real money to keep a particular character alive?

Now this I've got to hear about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was something he did on the comic site, a series of deathtraps with price tags attached.

He claimed that the people running the previous KS ran pff with the money.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kwyndig posted:

Now this I've got to hear about.
I hate that I know this. Tempts Fate is the side comic to Goblins where people donate money for a goblin named Tempts Fate to do things that are dangerous. If enough people don't donate money, his attempt at doing some action thing fails and he dies. So far he hasn't died yet.

Also man that voice cast sure is a cast of professional VAs who'll do a reasonable job for money. I like them all, they're good at what they do, you're definitely getting your money's worth, but assembling all of them into one package is just very...meh? It's an uninspired safe choice.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Wasn't he the one who claimed he was going to lose his house or something like that if people let Tempt Fates die? All I remember is he wrote extremely long exposition blocks in his comic, like full pages of text to explain a magic axe or something.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

So how often do you play GAG?

I don't get to play much, but I've got a group I DM it with every 1 to 2 weeksish. I'll probably be picking that up more and getting more groups together once I start trying to get feedback on ORDER stuff--I had like four different groups (with a few overlapping people) near the end of writing GAG.

Hostile V posted:

I hate that I know this. Tempts Fate is the side comic to Goblins where people donate money for a goblin named Tempts Fate to do things that are dangerous. If enough people don't donate money, his attempt at doing some action thing fails and he dies. So far he hasn't died yet.

Notably, one of these Tempts Fate drives made $37,151.67. One. Last I checked there had been 10+ of them.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 24, 2017

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
To add another piece to the saga of dead trpg kickstarters, I stumbled over this on rpg.net where it was hidden away.
Itīs https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sagatales/sagatales-presents-machina-dark Machina Dark, a "grim and gritty classless Steam-/Dieselpunk post-ww1 alt-history game".
Unfortunately it seems to have ended on October 11th already, being canceled by the creator, for reasons unknown (at least I canīt find any on their update page).

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Mr.Misfit posted:

To add another piece to the saga of dead trpg kickstarters, I stumbled over this on rpg.net where it was hidden away.
Itīs https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sagatales/sagatales-presents-machina-dark Machina Dark, a "grim and gritty classless Steam-/Dieselpunk post-ww1 alt-history game".
Unfortunately it seems to have ended on October 11th already, being canceled by the creator, for reasons unknown (at least I canīt find any on their update page).

It's pretty obvious what the reason was - they weren't going to make their goal at whatever pace they were going at. It was already out for almost a full month and they barely made even a portion of their goal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kinkouin posted:

It's pretty obvious what the reason was - they weren't going to make their goal at whatever pace they were going at. It was already out for almost a full month and they barely made even a portion of their goal.

Well, that and there's not a single word about what the system is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Indolent Bastard posted:

That is some of the ugliest character design I have ever seen.

Also, no Frank Welker? Is that even allowed?

Goblins feels like it was scientifically designed by crack awfulologists to try and come up with the most repulsive webcomic imaginable. I'm sure there must be worse out there, but it's just amazingly, incomprehensibly bad. The idea you would give its creator money is not something I can grasp or understand.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Goblins feels like it was scientifically designed by crack awfulologists to try and come up with the most repulsive webcomic imaginable. I'm sure there must be worse out there, but it's just amazingly, incomprehensibly bad. The idea you would give its creator money is not something I can grasp or understand.

Dude, have you never gone diving into Patreon's highest earners? People will pay absurd money for weird and bad things.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Dude, have you never gone diving into Patreon's highest earners? People will pay absurd money for weird and bad things.

I know a number of artists who run patreons. Dedicated fetishists producing surreal amounts of money is no longer a mystery to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Most of those fetishists probably produce better art than the Goblins guy, too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Most of those fetishists probably produce better art than the Goblins guy, too.

Yes.

Irregardless of one's tastes, there are an innumerable number of far more talented people involved in surreal sex drawings out there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can name ten comics that are more revolting visually than Goblins.

Moon over June
Oh Joy Sex Toy
Jack
Shadbase

I'll try to remember others

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 25, 2017

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What's wrong with it? I've seen it before, but never actually read more than a strip or two

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's misery porn, to put it simply. The main characters seem to exist only to suffer and the art is terrible.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not sure oneupsmanship in the world of bad webcomics wins you anything but being exposed to more bad webcomics, pass.

Kaza42 posted:

What's wrong with it? I've seen it before, but never actually read more than a strip or two

What Kwyndig said. Lots of torture and suffering for shock and/or "humor" with a side of rape, appallingly obnoxious writing, an exploitative passive-aggressive manchild of an author, etc.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also the comic's website has been run ads that contained viruses multiple times, each time due to the author leaving the website without any sort of oversight or security for weeks at a time. Despite this he frequently posts angry posts about how horrible people are for using adblock on his website. I know this is kinda of a little thing, but it perfectly encapsulates the sort person he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I don't get to play much, but I've got a group I DM it with every 1 to 2 weeksish. I'll probably be picking that up more and getting more groups together once I start trying to get feedback on ORDER stuff--I had like four different groups (with a few overlapping people) near the end of writing GAG.

Ah. I was gonna ask if you would be interested in playing with my group but I suspect you'll be more than a little bit busy :v: