Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Thanks to everyone who recommended Mindhunter. Tense, but great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I watched Sleeping With Other People this weekend and I loved it, one of the best rom coms I've ever seen. I was bound to like it based on the cast alone, but it really mixed up the formula just enough to be different.

Mantzoukas really shines through, the Malcolm Gladwell joke killed me.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wheelman was pretty dope. Still sad Grillo isn't Frank Castle. Crossbones was utterly wasted in the Captain America films.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watch The Purge Anarchy, he's basically the punisher in that movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The purge movies, specifically 2 and 3 are my biggest guilty pleasures.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
2 and 3 are legitimately great action movies that have a lot of heart.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

James Woods Fan posted:

Wheelman was pretty dope. Still sad Grillo isn't Frank Castle. Crossbones was utterly wasted in the Captain America films.

He said something recently about somehow coming back to the roll because of people talking about him. So we might see some flashbacks or something. But yeah, I love John Berenthal but he would be an amazing Punisher.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wasn't Crossbones merely exploded while inside a force field? No reason he couldn't have survived that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

tweet my meat posted:

2 and 3 are legitimately great action movies that have a lot of heart.

Compared to what?
Actual movies?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Junkie Disease posted:

Compared to what?
Actual movies?

Yes. :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have any good recanfor action movies that are sort of uh, contained for a lack of a better word. I realized all of my favorite recent action movies are like that. Wheelman, dredd, mad max fury road...

Basically stuff with a simple story, tense, usually plays out in almost real time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Not on streaming, but The Raid.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

veni veni veni posted:

Basically stuff with a simple story, tense, usually plays out in almost real time.

I didn't care for it but Train to Busan meets all those criteria. Green Room and Don't Breathe are both very dope but lean more on thriller side of things than action. Shoot 'Em Up is on HBO Go if you have that.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have any good recanfor action movies that are sort of uh, contained for a lack of a better word. I realized all of my favorite recent action movies are like that. Wheelman, dredd, mad max fury road...

Apocalypto

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Headshot is Indonesian action too and wasn’t awful. Lady bloodfight was uhh a thing. Catfight was hilarious and brutal.

John Wick 2 just dropped on HBO

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll check out Shoot Em Up and A MIRACLE's recs. All the other stuff owns but I've seen it (Except train to Busan wasn't my thing) Green room was actually supposed to be on my list but I forgot to put it in there.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I thought Shoot Em Up was amazing action-movie satire when I first saw it. I mean, Jesus Christ, when the protagonist eats carrots they pull things into focus to show you that his eyesight is literally and immediately improved. Then I watched an interview the the director and, uhhh, I don't think he meant it to be satirical. He unironically thought this was a serious action movie that he was making.

But it doesn't matter, it's still a great watch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I thought Shoot Em Up was amazing action-movie satire when I first saw it. I mean, Jesus Christ, when the protagonist eats carrots they pull things into focus to show you that his eyesight is literally and immediately improved. Then I watched an interview the the director and, uhhh, I don't think he meant it to be satirical. He unironically thought this was a serious action movie that he was making.

But it doesn't matter, it's still a great watch.

When someone explained to me that it's basically a giant bugs bunny and Elmer Fudd cartoon, I was like :aaa:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

veni veni veni posted:

If you haven't seen Die Hard, it's ground zero for this subgenre. Sudden Death, The Relic, and Speed are also good examples.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When someone explained to me that it's basically a giant bugs bunny and Elmer Fudd cartoon, I was like :aaa:

Reading on these forums years ago that the female lead is literally brought into the story because of her breasts was mind blowing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you haven't seen Die Hard, it's ground zero for this subgenre. Sudden Death, The Relic, and Speed are also good examples.

You forgot Under Siege!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

veni veni veni posted:

Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Universal Soldier: Regeneration

on that note, the follow-up to that day of reckoning was not as contained but a lot better than i expected it to be

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Filthy Hans posted:

1922, on the other hand, is a slog, although Thomas Jane really does give it his all

Most films based off of Steven King books are total slogs. (Night Shift... not even once)

Thomas Jane is a treasure though. He acts his rear end in everything, regardless of quality. The Punisher and Stand-Off are both guilty pleasures of mine (both on Netflix). Stand-Off also has Laurence Fishburne chewing the scenery like a maniac. I was not expecting a movie about a man trying to prevent a hitman from coming up a staircase to be so entertaining.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Most films based off of Steven King books are total slogs. (Night Shift... not even once)

Thomas Jane is a treasure though. He acts his rear end in everything, regardless of quality. The Punisher and Stand-Off are both guilty pleasures of mine (both on Netflix). Stand-Off also has Laurence Fishburne chewing the scenery like a maniac. I was not expecting a movie about a man trying to prevent a hitman from coming up a staircase to be so entertaining.

Don't forget about his role on the criminally underrated The Expanse.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Was The Hateful Eight just added to US netflix? I could swear I searched Tarantino just the other day and didn't see it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

drunken officeparty posted:

Was The Hateful Eight just added to US netflix? I could swear I searched Tarantino just the other day and didn't see it.

Literally today, yeah

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I suppose I should revisit this one. It just did not click for me on first viewing at all.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sand Monster posted:

I suppose I should revisit this one. It just did not click for me on first viewing at all.
I loved it - I want to see it as a stage play.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

It's not my favorite Tarantino, but even his worst (Jackie Brown) is still pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It's not my favorite Tarantino, but even his worst (Jackie Brown) is still pretty good.

Jackie Brown remains Tarantino's best movie by far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The problem with a discussion about Tarantino rankings is that there's such a clear transition from his more grounded films like Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction(although obviously they're not "grounded" by most director's standards) and everything post-Kill Bill. Stuff like Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds are so incredibly stylized that they're hard to compare to his older work. The technical elements seem to have steadily improved his whole career, but at the same time he started telling more and more ridiculous stories.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ah I see you subscribe to the "be totally wrong" school of thought.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ah I see you subscribe to the "be totally wrong" school of thought.

You really should try turning your monitor on before you post

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

His worst is Death Proof

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

His worst is Death Proof

Death Proof owns, you're wrong. Hateful Eight is easily his worst and Jackie Brown is great, just not the usual Tarantino style and dialog.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

His worst is Death Proof

I'd say his worst is Kill Bill, I quite like Death Proof.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fayez Butts posted:

Death Proof owns, you're wrong. Hateful Eight is easily his worst and Jackie Brown is great, just not the usual Tarantino style and dialog.

Speaking of Jackie Brown, is that Tarantino's only adapted work?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best by a country mile.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

As others mentioned, saying it's the worst Tarantino doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'd say his worst is Kill Bill, I quite like Death Proof.

I wasn't a big fan the first time I saw it, but I've grown to appreciate it. I really liked it the last time I watched it (about a year ago?)