Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah, though there's a function that turns sound into vibrations so sort of??

you can also pair it with your spotify account and stream music directly to your rear end

iirc this is how the HD rumble works in the switch controllers

you put them in your butt and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hello, is this a delivery order?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol gently caress everything about that

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

yeah, though there's a function that turns sound into vibrations so sort of??

you can also pair it with your spotify account and stream music directly to your rear end

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - Stream Spotify Directly into Your rear end

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Schadenboner posted:

how about everyone gets a huge locked mailbox instead

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Perplx posted:

doesn't sound very #disruptive

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

sir, this is a mcdonalds drive-thru

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

repurpose the milk boxes in those old homes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Perplx posted:

that's jeffyb's next step: mailbox houses for amazon employees

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

flakeloaf posted:

that's jeffyb's next step: mailbox houses for amazon employees

just move everyone into an amazon warehouse and be done with it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

just move everyone into an amazon warehouse and be done with it
what if we made the customers' houses the amazon warehouse

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mod saas posted:

RFC 42069: BPCP

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the next step is that the entire building/neighborhood designates one house/apartment as the delivery unit, to which all deliveries go. everyone in the area is free to enter this unit and retrieve their package

after that, we use machine learning to schedule deliveries to that unit of products that will likely be ordered in the near future

then we unlock a prime perk that allows customers to enter the delivery unit and select a pre-delivered product first, then place the order before taking it home

this is gonna be so loving disruptive

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

have an amazon version of a food cart circling round town with a machine-learning inspired collection of items on board, ready to be deposited into the arms of a waiting valued prime [tm] customer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

have an amazon version of a food cart circling round town with a machine-learning inspired collection of items on board, ready to be deposited into the arms of a waiting valued prime [tm] customer

it's called the Treasure Truck: http://amzn.to/2xnyIJl

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Perplx posted:

"Amazon Locker Personal"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

honestly sounds like a better idea

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

live somewhere with a population density high enough that amazon lockers exist, or just get your poo poo delivered to work

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Thanks Ants posted:

live somewhere with a population density high enough that amazon lockers exist, or just get your poo poo delivered to work

they have that too, its called prime 2 day pickup where they deliver it to one of their kiosks

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Canadian neighborhoods have locked personal mailboxes for a given area. Each of the mailbox has a small slot for your personal mail / spam / bills, and 2 bigger locked boxes for larger mail and delivery. The mailman puts the package in one of the locked boxes, then puts the key in your personal mailbox so you can access it.

Just put the poo poo in there, amazon.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MononcQc posted:

Canadian neighborhoods have locked personal mailboxes for a given area. Each of the mailbox has a small slot for your personal mail / spam / bills, and 2 bigger locked boxes for larger mail and delivery. The mailman puts the package in one of the locked boxes, then puts the key in your personal mailbox so you can access it.

i don't think you can get access to those in the us unless you're a carrier with usps

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

anthonypants posted:

i don't think you can get access to those in the us unless you're a carrier with usps

Which in some areas, the local USPS contracts for Amazon for Prime deliveries on Sunday.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Canada Post is actually really good and I pick them for my shipping service if I get the choice because my item either goes in my mailbox if it's small, it goes in the parcel box if it's big, or goes to the post office that's a 10 minute walk away if it's really big or needs a signature, instead of the driver leaving a delivery notice in my lobby instead of even trying my buzzer code and then taking it to some depot in some industrial or port area in the rear end end of nowhere

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BattleMaster posted:

Canada Post is actually really good and I pick them for my shipping service if I get the choice because my item either goes in my mailbox if it's small, it goes in the parcel box if it's big, or goes to the post office that's a 10 minute walk away if it's really big or needs a signature, instead of the driver leaving a delivery notice in my lobby instead of even trying my buzzer code and then taking it to some depot in some industrial or port area in the rear end end of nowhere

In the US I've only seen UPS as an option for delivery, except when the ONLY option is USPS, but even when you pick UPS it seems the subcontract to USPS for the final leg of the delivery.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

In the US I've only seen UPS as an option for delivery, except when the ONLY option is USPS, but even when you pick UPS it seems the subcontract to USPS for the final leg of the delivery.

Only way around that is to spring for next day Saturday or other premium service to maintain chain of custody.
When I worked for a a pharma manufacturer we (our customers) would spend crazy $$$$$ on next day Saturday shipping to the next city over for that reason.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
dunno if this is old news but

https://twitter.com/lorenzofb/status/923570388835151872

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

even if it's not we all knew this internally

like how we didn't need the ceo to publicly blast one random dev for not pushing a patch to know that they were trying to find a scapegoat like that internally

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

correction badrabbit was using eternalromance: http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/10/bad-rabbit.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i hope the next variant is like, bigger and angrier than bad rabbit, and they call it something appropriate, you know, like something big and angry, like a dragon

a bad dragon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

well looks like my time's up folks remember to tip your bartender thanks

burning swine
May 26, 2004

here's a more minor security lol that's been overlooked in light of the equifax poo poo:

quote:

Dell Lost Control of Key Customer Support Domain for a Month in 2017

There is a program installed on virtually all Dell computers called “Dell Backup and Recovery Application.” It’s designed to help customers restore their data and computers to their pristine, factory default state should a problem occur with the device. That backup and recovery program periodically checks a rather catchy domain name — DellBackupandRecoveryCloudStorage.com — which until recently was central to PC maker Dell’s customer data backup, recovery and cloud storage solutions.

From early June to early July 2017, DellBackupandRecoveryCloudStorage.com was the property of Dmitrii Vassilev of “TeamInternet.com,” a company listed in Germany that specializes in selling what appears to be typosquatting traffic.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/10/dell-lost-control-of-key-customer-support-domain-for-a-month-in-2017/

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/923599487330865152

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

there's also a group of hobbyists who have written an entire generic buttplug control protocol that can federate between heterogenous teledildonic systems and then translate down into the particular protocol each actual device speaks on the client which is, uh, neat i guess?

cloud to butt, server edition

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

haha

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

redleader posted:

holy gently caress, this future is incredible

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

here's a more minor security lol that's been overlooked in light of the equifax poo poo:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/10/dell-lost-control-of-key-customer-support-domain-for-a-month-in-2017/

dellol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MononcQc posted:

having those at the entrance to a neighborhood is basically a sign that you're a horrible sprawlzone, lmao

those designs are meant for things like a small scale single apartment building, or a few sets of them for a whole complex. and 4 package lockers probably isn't suitable with ever increasing rates of parcel delivery

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zamujasa posted:

cloud to butt, server edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

having those at the entrance to a neighborhood is basically a sign that you're a horrible sprawlzone, lmao

those designs are meant for things like a small scale single apartment building, or a few sets of them for a whole complex. and 4 package lockers probably isn't suitable with ever increasing rates of parcel delivery

Pretty much every housing (re)development in Canada since the early/mid 1990s has them, regardless of the area's density.

They were actually in the process of rolling them out universally for the older urban neighborhoods that still had door to door delivery up until the winner of the last federal election put an end to that (but if you had been changed to one even the week before, too bad, no backsies!)

• Locked thread