Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And they have some fixed animation. That's about all I can recommend them for. If you somehow can't stomach the idea of watching the entire series, or you're Ahora on time, the movies will do. But I highly recommend the show even with the time commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
G-Reco was great.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Al being a bratty, petulant child that ultimately gets his entire world view shattered is the fundamental point of 0080, so while general fandom consensus is the show is amazing, if you absolutely can't stomach that type of character long enough to get to the emotional payoff it isn't gonna land right for you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They're loving re-dubbing all of SEED, they could afford to get G-Reco an English dub.

I'd like to watch it.

e:

Al is dumb but not aggressively so. This is UC, a timeline filled with annoying children. Al has nothing on Katz. Plus the story actually acknowledges how ignorant he is which helps immensely.

I find a lot of people hate MS Team, far more than they hate War in the Pocket. Reasons tend to include the love story, the ending and also Shiro being an idealist who ends up hating both the Federation and Zeon.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 27, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm the weirdo who thinks that the movie compilations of 0079 are terrible. When you condense a 45 episode show into three 3hr movies you lose any sense of ramping tension or payoff. The ending to the first movie is laughable, introducing ramba ral literally five minutes before the film is over.

I'd also recommend the TV series because the ocean dub is really good. And the film lacks most of the kickass funky soundtrack the show has in favor of a mostly dour dramatic style.

The main issue with your point is that nearly all of the actual anime is useless filler, with terrible animation. I couldn't take it, it bored me to death. I jumped to the movies and didn't regret it one bit, it genuinely needed to be heavily condensed because it didn't have any ramping tension or whatever you want to call it, it had wastes of time.

This goes for nearly every Gundam series, mind you, not just the first. But the first is the only one where people think of compilation movies, beyond the dislike the Zeta movies get (movies I have not watched and thus can't comment on).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blaze Dragon posted:

The main issue with your point is that nearly all of the actual anime is useless filler, with terrible animation. I couldn't take it, it bored me to death. I jumped to the movies and didn't regret it one bit, it genuinely needed to be heavily condensed because it didn't have any ramping tension or whatever you want to call it, it had wastes of time.

The main problem is that they aren't movies, they're condensed episodes strung together to film length. Gundam started as a television show, and it's footage is tuned to that format, where you have a threat each episode and an overarching plot. When you transfer that to a film, it doesn't follow a film structure, and I find it exhausting to watch because there's a fight every five minutes and it doesn't build to anything.
Plus, I can overlook bad animation when I care about the story being told, even the filler. It might be something as ridiculous as a detour because the chef ran out of food and got replaced with a burger machine, or something as poignant as an Earth native abandoning the ship to find her hometown, only to see it has been wiped out.

If you're going to make a Gundam film, make it as an actual film. Compilation movies aren't a decent solution. The Galaxy Express 999 compilation movie is borderline incomprehensible because it takes an entire 50 episode series and puts it into a single film, and even with three films 0079 isn't much better. I'll stick with terrible animation, funky music and a solid english dub any day so long as I'm having a good time.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gammatron 64, what did you find uninteresting about G-Reco? I admit I haven't seen it in at least a year, but it's the reason I'm even rewatching Zeta Gundam now - I have the hankering to see it in glorious blu-ray, but this time with more Gundam under my belt. It's my favorite Gundam series out of all of them (so far), and I love, love how it handled its conflicts and ending.

I don't know, I only watched a few and lost interest. It's funny, because I was really pumped for it too. I just kind of, well, I didn't really understand what was going on. A lot of people had that problem, apparently. I probably just let other peoples' negativity towards it influence me. I'll try and give it another shot sometime. It looks so great visually, and it's Tomino, so I really want to like it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I merely find Zeta okay. It's got a load of technical improvements over 0079 which is given considering it has an actual budget, but it also has some rear end fight choreography until the end. I like it when they get creative with fight scenes, like how Victory took advantage of the multipart mobile suits zipping around. Zeta is mostly just "shoot, reaction shot, die" for the most part.

Yeah, I like Zeta, but it's mostly for the story and all the crazy designs. The fights are in fact rear end and the pacing can be not great at times, but that's kind of a Gundam anime thing. Luckily, Zeta Gundam is dubbed so I can watch it while doing other things.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

0080 I take issue with on a couple points and I'll grant its been over 15 years since I've seen it. I don't care for child protagonists, and 0080's is naive and petulant in all the worst ways. I also think it's packaged badly. Its like a werid 5/6 episode OVA. Make it a movie so I can quickly digest it or give it some more room to breathe. I've gotten hate on that for forever in here but it was a well established belief among my group of friends when we went hard on anime.

Yeah, if you find the kid annoying, you're just not going to enjoy it. I can understand that.

What's funny is that there's a lot of characters in Gundam people find annoying, but most of the ones people mention just don't bother me. Not even Katz.

However, there is one petulant child character who I do in fact, really, really hate. And she kind of ruins the entire movie she's in. You all know who I'm talking about. Oh my God I was happy to see her finally die. Maybe she's worse in the dub, but goddamn Quess is the loving worst ever.

Raxivace posted:

I think more than anything Victory is just boring and way too long for its own good (Which is true of nearly every full Gundam series to be fair).

Like for a show that has has a lot of dark content alongside goofy stuff like the guy reviving motorcycles as a viable vehicle for combat and the bikini death squad you'd think you'd at least get an interesting mess, but its not even that IMO.

Yeah, like I said before, Victory isn't, well... offensively terrible or anything. It's just soooooooo meh. You'd think a show where people are constantly dying and there's motorcycle land battleships and beam saber helicopters would be entertaining but... no. It's really not. It's actually pretty impressive that they managed to make it that boring, because the show sounds amazing on paper. I wouldn't say it's the worst Gundam series, but it's safe to say it's the blandest and most unmemorable one.

Blaze Dragon posted:

This goes for nearly every Gundam series, mind you, not just the first. But the first is the only one where people think of compilation movies, beyond the dislike the Zeta movies get (movies I have not watched and thus can't comment on).

The 0079 movies work because it was a shorter series so not a lot of important stuff got cut out. The movie trilogy makes perfect coherent sense. That said, the pacing is weird as hell because it's very obviously a TV and it feels like you're watching separate episodes back to back and not movies. They don't really follow the 3-act structure at all. Most other compilation movies are pretty much incomprehensible if you haven't watched the series.

There's pros and cons to both. I like the dub for the series. The order of events are different, and Amuro comes off as less of an rear end in a top hat in the show. But towards the end of the show, the pacing is totally hosed because the series got cut short. So Encounters in Space is way, WAY better than the last few episodes of the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

They're loving re-dubbing all of SEED, they could afford to get G-Reco an English dub.

I'd like to watch it.

e:

Al is dumb but not aggressively so. This is UC, a timeline filled with annoying children. Al has nothing on Katz. Plus the story actually acknowledges how ignorant he is which helps immensely.

I find a lot of people hate MS Team, far more than they hate War in the Pocket. Reasons tend to include the love story, the ending and also Shiro being an idealist who ends up hating both the Federation and Zeon.

They're re-dubbing seed because it's the HD release which includes new scenes and altered dialogue. It's also one of the most popular and enduring Gundam series for good or ill

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

They're re-dubbing seed because it's the HD release which includes new scenes and altered dialogue. It's also one of the most popular and enduring Gundam series for good or ill

Definitely ill

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

It made Gundam big again after it had been dormant for a while, and it's not like they're still pumping out mediocre Seed stuff. I don't think they're even doing Seed manga anymore. Plus we got some great designs out of it, like the Strike, the Freedom, the Buster, and this thing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

It made Gundam big again after it had been dormant for a while, and it's not like they're still pumping out mediocre Seed stuff. I don't think they're even doing Seed manga anymore. Plus we got some great designs out of it, like the Strike, the Freedom, the Buster, and this thing

Seed is piss

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm aware of all that. I'll miss the old Rau but Griffith's voice-actor being the one who replaced Mark Oliver is intriguing. Plus I like Cherami Leigh and she'll be a good Cagalli.

I just wish they used their money to dub shows that hadn't been dubbed at all. At least they didn't re-dub Wing but I guess it didn't get any nice new scenes so oh well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I only watched up until fake ramba ral in seed (or at least I think that happened, its been a while), but that dumbass fly centaur gundam is kinda making me want to check it out again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

I only watched up until fake ramba ral in seed (or at least I think that happened, its been a while), but that dumbass fly centaur gundam is kinda making me want to check it out again

That's not actually from Gundam SEED, it's from SEED Destiny.

And I just want more HGCE kits, is that too much to ask? :sigh:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Randomly thinking about it but does anything good happen on Gundam's various versions Mars? Like the Moon is variously a military base, colony, etc. and has it's decent livable place moments but Mars seems like Gundam hell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Randomly thinking about it but does anything good happen on Gundam's various versions Mars? Like the Moon is variously a military base, colony, etc. and has it's decent livable place moments but Mars seems like Gundam hell.

It's one of the main settings of IBO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mars is not exactly doing well in most of IBO either though.

Like the show starts with child slavery being practiced on Mars.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 27, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raxivace posted:

Like the show starts child slavery being practiced on Mars.

To be fair it was also being practiced on the colonies and Earth.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Depends on if you consider Frozen Teardrop a good thing.

Also, in UC, yet another group of Zeon remnants fled there. They got nicknamed the oldsmobile army because they liked to field classic Zeon MS but with tuned up performance. Like they had Zaku IIs that performed as great as Geara Dogas and could use beam weapons to boot. Tried to invade earth in UC 0122, which was when the EF started fielding miniature MS. Got comically obliterated and I think that's the last blip in the timeline for Zeon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AtheistMantis posted:

Depends on if you consider Frozen Teardrop a good thing.

Also, in UC, yet another group of Zeon remnants fled there. They got nicknamed the oldsmobile army because they liked to field classic Zeon MS but with tuned up performance. Like they had Zaku IIs that performed as great as Geara Dogas and could use beam weapons to boot. Tried to invade earth in UC 0122, which was when the EF started fielding miniature MS. Got comically obliterated and I think that's the last blip in the timeline for Zeon.

Was this in Victory or one of the Late UC manga?

I've never seen anything from "Late UC." That's just F91, Victory and assorted manga, right? I hear it's basically an entirely different universe/setting in all ways but name.

So I got a question. Is there currently only one Thunderbolt bluray available to us in the West? I was looking at RightStuff and found 3 different versions of what I'm guessing is just the first episode.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Thunderbolt-December-Sky-Blu-Ray

It sounds interesting but if they are gonna take forever releasing the series like this, that kinda sucks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Was this in Victory or one of the Late UC manga?

I've never seen anything from "Late UC." That's just F91, Victory and assorted manga, right? I hear it's basically an entirely different universe/setting in all ways but name.

So I got a question. Is there currently only one Thunderbolt bluray available to us in the West? I was looking at RightStuff and found 3 different versions of what I'm guessing is just the first episode.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Thunderbolt-December-Sky-Blu-Ray

It sounds interesting but if they are gonna take forever releasing the series like this, that kinda sucks.

Late UC manga, set around F91.

Thunderbolt's Blu-ray is the first 4 episodes as one movie. Just a bit over an hour, which is a complete story in and of itself, but not that much screen time for your dollar.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Late UC manga, set around F91.

Thunderbolt's Blu-ray is the first 4 episodes as one movie. Just a bit over an hour, which is a complete story in and of itself, but not that much screen time for your dollar.

Hm, that's still better than I thought. I looked at the Runtime and assumed it was one episode because weren't Unicorn episodes each like an hour long or close to it? That was part of why I didn't like it so much.

4 episodes isn't too bad for $20, at least for a series like this. This ain't no shounen battle anime.

Thank you for the info.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Hm, that's still better than I thought. I looked at the Runtime and assumed it was one episode because weren't Unicorn episodes each like an hour long or close to it? That was part of why I didn't like it so much.

4 episodes isn't too bad for $20, at least for a series like this. This ain't no shounen battle anime.

Thank you for the info.

That said, the four episodes were basically a movie chopped up into quarters. December Sky, the movie, is the definitive Thunderbolt experience. It includes slightly more footage, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

well I'd still have to watch seed before I moved on to the sequel :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Like the show starts with child slavery being practiced on Mars.

Yeah. I mean, it's still better off than several of the other Marses, but initially, it's definitely safely in the shitpile zone.

The real outlier was the Jupiter sphere. Usually, they're the biggest assholes around. Here, yeah, they're the mob, and it's made clear McMurdo is making deals with the setting's leading bastards, and Jaisley's down there with Iok, but the main Jupiter ground level viewpoint character is Merribit, and it's pretty clear from... everything about her, that living out there is pretty much the best deal you can get if you're not Earthborn. I mean, assuming "Getting enough food" and "Not getting shot in the street" are high on your priority list.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's still better off than several of the other Marses, but initially, it's definitely safely in the shitpile zone.

The real outlier was the Jupiter sphere. Usually, they're the biggest assholes around. Here, yeah, they're the mob, and it's made clear McMurdo is making deals with the setting's leading bastards, and Jaisley's down there with Iok, but the main Jupiter ground level viewpoint character is Merribit, and it's pretty clear from... everything about her, that living out there is pretty much the best deal you can get if you're not Earthborn. I mean, assuming "Getting enough food" and "Not getting shot in the street" are high on your priority list.

Yeah... about that second one...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Glad I'm not the only one who can't stomach Al, and by extension 0080. I can recognize its good points, but just no loving way, that kid.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you're going to make a Gundam film, make it as an actual film. Compilation movies aren't a decent solution. The Galaxy Express 999 compilation movie is borderline incomprehensible because it takes an entire 50 episode series and puts it into a single film, and even with three films 0079 isn't much better. I'll stick with terrible animation, funky music and a solid english dub any day so long as I'm having a good time.

What, the GE999 movies aren't compilations. They're a different telling of a story with the same basic premise but with a poo poo ton of differences between the series and the movies, to say nothing of the different people adapting them (Rintaro understood Matsumoto's works better than anyone out there, so he was the perfect choice to adapt it to film). The show is almost entirely episodic to the point where if you only wanted to watch the main plot you'd really only need to watch a single digit amount of episodes for a show that's like, 100 episodes long. It'd be a pretty bad fit for a straight up compilation!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GE999 movie: Tetsuro's mother is killed by a robot who becomes one of the main antagonists of the film and he travels far to get his revenge.

GE999 series: Tetsuro's mother is killed by a robot and then 10 minutes later Tetsuro brutally guns down the robot and its friends shortly before boarding the space train.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Srice posted:

GE999 movie: Tetsuro's mother is killed by a robot who becomes one of the main antagonists of the film and he travels far to get his revenge.

GE999 series: Tetsuro's mother is killed by a robot and then 10 minutes later Tetsuro brutally guns down the robot and its friends shortly before boarding the space train.
I was under the impression Galaxy Express 999 was just the Polar Express in space.

It uh, seems I was very wrong.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I was under the impression Galaxy Express 999 was just the Polar Express in space.

It uh, seems I was very wrong.

You don't remember the ending of Polar Express where the protagonist guns down Santa in revenge for his mother's murder, and it turns out Santa was a robot all along?

Did you even watch Polar Express?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still really want an MG/RG Buster Verde kit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

I still really want an MG/RG Buster Verde kit.

I just want a GOOD HG Buster Gundam, is that too much to ask? :sigh:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Bimmi posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who can't stomach Al, and by extension 0080. I can recognize its good points, but just no loving way, that kid.

Thank you.

I forgot about G-Reco, but it was boring as hell and didn't really make much sense. Things just kinda happened and then it ended, and again I couldn't care about any of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

You don't remember the ending of Polar Express where the protagonist guns down Santa in revenge for his mother's murder, and it turns out Santa was a robot all along?

Did you even watch Polar Express?

It's true.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I've not seen it and I'm honestly not sure if you're joking or not. :confused:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bimmi posted:

The child focus character makes it tough, the meta commentary about glorifying war so early in series doesnt hit for me hard, but the part that actually makes 0080 a once every 5 years watch is the music is loving trash.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

The child focus character makes it tough, the meta commentary about glorifying war so early in series doesnt hit for me hard, but the part that actually makes 0080 a once every 5 years watch is the music is loving trash.

Yeah I love 0080 but boy the music goddamn sucks, which is surprising since gundam series almost aways have a stellar ost.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

It's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

JBP posted:

Mika is a hosed up lunatic but every time he says "get out of my way" I'm like loving do it son. Kill them all.

The best thing about Mika is that he's consistent. He knows what he's good at and that he'll probably die doing it, but not today :black101:

His 'oh poo poo, I have copulated' scene is the most BSOD he gets. At no other point does he falter.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 27, 2017