Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

As a DRK what exactly is the point of Unleash after you have abyssal drain? Just snap aggro on poo poo that spawns like an easier to use Overpower?

Abyssal Drain murders your MP from full to zero in like, two shots, because in order to get the lifesteal portion, you have to Dark Arts it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Can confirm that the Summoner and Scholar boost potion will bring both jobs to 60, but will only do the basic Arcanist job quests and the 30-60 quests for the job that you bought the potion for. It also gives you a full set of non-augmented Shire gear for the boosted job, but nothing (Job Stone included) for the other one. Which, I mean, that's hardly the end of the world. Go spend the 300,000 gil the jump gives you on i255 gear, spend two hours doing the job quests, which expect you to have i150 gear at the absolute most, and you'll have your Dreadwyrm Trance (or Dissipation I guess).

also O1S and O2S reminded me that I'm really bad at summoner and should probably learn my place

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MelvinBison posted:

Any advise for getting for endgame healing?

Try to place yourself where your AOE heals will cover everyone, and conversely everyone should try to position themselves where your healing will cover them. Direct heals are for tankbusters, everyone else gets splash healing. If you are SCH or Noct ast, try to learn where the damage spikes are so you can pre-shield. If you are WHM/Diurnal try to time your regens so they hit right after the damage for the initial burst heal to actually do something along with the ticks.

When you are still learning the mechanics of a fight it's ok to go light on dps, like I'd maintain my dots on the boss and throw out the occasional nuke, but mainly tried to keep my mana up so I could learn where the heavy burst healing was needed. Mechanics come before dps, once the mechanics become second nature the dps will flow more naturally as well (This goes for all classes really).

EDIT: Watch warriors like a hawk, they have no mitigation worth a poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://clips.twitch.tv/OptimisticShortShieldAsianGlow

The cleanest execution of Bahamut's 4th major mechanic so far. Feels like these guys are very close to seeing what's beyond this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Note Block posted:

I straight up left a Stone Vigil after noticing the BLM was doing no damage because they were in level 15 sprout gear and were only casting Fire. Forget vote kicking, that's a sign from the Twelve to get out.

How? You get handed new gear over the course of the story!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The cleanest execution of Bahamut's 4th major mechanic so far. Feels like these guys are very close to seeing what's beyond this.

loving :lol:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But you don't unlock glamours until 50. That's my guess.

e.: vvv Well okay then.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 27, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Good news you unlock glamours at 15

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MelvinBison posted:

Any advise for getting for endgame healing?

Outside of specific moments in savage-tier raiding, players simply do not take very much damage compared to the strength of your healing toolkit.

The hallmark of a skilled healer is the ability to tell the difference between damage that must be healed by a spell now, and damage that can be healed "for free" with a cooldown when it comes up. It's possible, and desirable, to go through an entire trash pull/boss fight without ever actually hardcasting a healing spell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Outside of specific moments in savage-tier raiding, players simply do not take very much damage compared to the strength of your healing toolkit.

The hallmark of a skilled healer is the ability to tell the difference between damage that must be healed by a spell now, and damage that can be healed "for free" with a cooldown when it comes up. It's possible, and desirable, to go through an entire trash pull/boss fight without ever actually hardcasting a healing spell.

Pretty much this.

Unless you're doing the absolute hardest content healing isn't about keeping people healed, it's about balancing healing with DPS and figuring out how much you can do the latter before you need to do the former. All the healing classes have on-demand instant heals and powerful DPS options.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I frown through any dungeon run that requires me to spend a GCD on an actual heal, precombat Deployment Adlo notwithstanding.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm going to guess that PotD played a part in this BLM's horrendous journey.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

also O1S and O2S reminded me that I'm really bad at summoner and should probably learn my place

Gentlemen, I present to you a very modest mouse. Ms. Wing Pixy here did 4.1k dps on O1S with 0 deaths despite literally finding out about mechanics as they happened via one of us raid barking at her. Mind you while wearing pre savage gear (A mix of 310-330). She outdps'd several of our regulars who despite having done this fight a bajillion times still found ways to slide off the platform.

She also cleared O2S about an hour later (within 4 pulls) on a fight where a single person having an oopsie moment wipes the raid. All while listening to haquer be mega abrasive about how much he hates O2S.

And when she joined us for the opener of O3S which we decided to show her on a lark, it was our offtank that wiped us, not her.

Whenever she starts her casual static, that if she pulls in people even half as talented as herself they will have a "Good time" and in fact clear content.

The Raid Static known as Casual Fridays would be more than happy to have her along again should one of our regular dps drop out. Hail Satan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Open New Tab it if it doesn't stretch out well.

Hiroro from 5150 alone has been getting more concurrent viewers on his stream than I've ever seen in total for FFXIV since the game rebooted so I'd say it's going to prove profitable because it's putting bums in seats and eyes on FFXIV, even before considering feedback from those who have played it

despite being content most people will never play it is incredibly good for the community, gives people another reason to stay subscribed between patches, and satisfies a subset of the audience who, yes, are a small minority, but are also the most dedicated players and the most likely people to continue paying their subscriptions over a long period of time and put down money on additional items via Mogstation.
plus, it's mostly reworked versions of old assets and mechanics that don't need to be balanced as carefully since being unfair is kinda the entire appeal. this isn't to say it's lazy or worse than other content, but it's probably less costly to work on than, say, designing a completely new raid tier.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 27, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Note Block posted:

Tis a double edged sword

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I imagine that the time they've got from not having to make many, if any, new assets can be re-worked into making the fight cohesive and simply put, good.

Everything about how this fight interplays with itself, based on what's been streamed, is pretty much seamless and inspired.

It's a shame the dude who designed this fight can't design them all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I imagine that the time they've got from not having to make many, if any, new assets can be re-worked into making the fight cohesive and simply put, good.

Everything about how this fight interplays with itself, based on what's been streamed, is pretty much seamless and inspired.

It's a shame the dude who designed this fight can't design them all.

Yeah I assume one of the mandates for ultimate coil was no new assets and for content that "only" needed encounter design eyes on it it's been getting a lot of people talking and watching

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Reiterpallasch posted:

resist materia are back, my friends, in ultimate bahamut progression

Holy poo poo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So what you're saying is that in 4.3 we'll see Unlimited Warring Triad where you get to do Soar into Tilt into Green+Orange.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

So what you're saying is that in 4.3 we'll see Unlimited Warring Triad where you get to do Soar into Tilt into Green+Orange.

I'd really love to see an Ultimate for something that wasn't super-extreme before and make it so. Just go all-out on like Shiva or something.

Or Gilgamesh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I'd really love to see an Ultimate for something that wasn't super-extreme before and make it so. Just go all-out on like Shiva or something.

Or Gilgamesh.

They seriously considered having the first ultimate be titan

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

They seriously considered having the first ultimate be titan

Titan Hard and Extreme weren't the joke they are now back in early 2.0 though. Latency issues made him genuinely difficult, healing through his stomp things wasn't too easy either because most players were very very badly geared and his tank buster was dangerous. Obviously, Hard was very doable to most players even back then but Titan Ex was a hard wall for many.

Ozma (Ultimate) is the the dream.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Titan Hard and Extreme weren't the joke they are now back in early 2.0 though. Latency issues made him genuinely difficult, healing through his stomp things wasn't too easy either because most players were very very badly geared and his tank buster was dangerous. Obviously, Hard was very doable to most players even back then but Titan Ex was a hard wall for many.

Yeah I lived through titan hell. Ultimate titan would have totally been legit

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think I'd be hyped for a Ultimate Titan alone.

An Ultimate Primal gauntlet though? That could have potential. Having to get Landslided from Titan's arena on to Leviathan's boat and then tipped off into Susano's treasury... geography ignored.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ultimate Ultima weapon, with more than just the original three primals

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Note Block posted:

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/806693013044928512

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

cheetah7071 posted:

Ultimate Titan has an entire phase where he just stomps. Tiny stomps, Sumo Knockback Stomps, Jump Stomps, all the stomps all the time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think having an ultimate based on just Titan would be kind of boring. Having all 3 ARR primals or maybe the 3 primals plus Ultima would be cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brute Justice (Ultimate), who just keeps on combining with other robots until you're fighting what is essentially the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i knew i kept all those fire resistance vi materia around for a reason!!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
can't wait to have to do a8s intermission phase with bonus judgement nisi in 5.0

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What's the history?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Titan Extreme was fun at i90 (or with drops from early level 50 dungeons) or whatever. But yeah, sure, I could go for some tag team primal fights. How about a Ravana/Susano tag team wrestling match? :hawksin:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there were only like 5 up on the market and one guy got 'em all, thanks for ruining my joke :confuoot:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

That is more brutal than I thought it was from the first clip I saw of it; I didn't know the tower positions were random. I can see the best way to deal with the Twisters is to bait them in the middle before running, but the big problem is deciding who goes where because of the RNG.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 27, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brute Justice (Ultimate), who just keeps on combining with other robots until you're fighting what is essentially the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

The reward for winning the fight is unlocking an extreme version the Pencils /gpose filter that you can use during regular gameplay.

Ultimate Ultima Weapon would be cool but Shinryu already kind of has the "I have every primal's ult" schtick.

Ultimate Greg would be amazing. Chickens and rocket punches forever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SL the Pyro posted:

That is more brutal than I thought it was from the first clip I saw of it; I didn't know the tower positions were random. How would you even decide who goes where?

Commit and adjust?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember the days where if you didn't have 3.2k HP for Titan hard, gg, you're going to die a miserable death if lag weights didn't kill you first.

And now I can do Titan Hard while drunk. I do not think I ever tried Ex post 2.xx though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
All these primal fight ideas are nice, but we all know what we should really get.

Cape Westwind (Ultimate).