Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I mean standing on some plates, so the bar is closer to your foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sludge Tank posted:

I mean standing on some plates, so the bar is closer to your foot.
Yeah, I mean I can't do that because I literally couldn't reach the bar.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Pesmerga posted:

RP templates = excel based torture techniques.

I just wrapped up week 4 of meso 2... its finally over.......

I'm also up 8lbs in 9 weeks and am still loving insanely diced, quad veins poppin. I think I may have lost the tiniest bit of size off my chest but that's it.

so loving strong legs

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

I'm also up 8lbs in 9 weeks and am still loving insanely diced, quad veins poppin. I think I may have lost the tiniest bit of size off my chest but that's it.

so loving strong legs

So you’re saying for meso 2 I should just embrace the bulk and go all out? I’m mid-way through meso 1 and I’m maybe 1.5lb up

Also I want to see progress pics you must be an absolute monster by now. :getin:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Pesmerga posted:

So you’re saying for meso 2 I should just embrace the bulk and go all out? I’m mid-way through meso 1 and I’m maybe 1.5lb up

Also I want to see progress pics you must be an absolute monster by now. :getin:

Yeah I said gently caress it for this meso because the volumes so insane. Back to tracking my diet for weeks 1 and 2 though. Really looking forward to lifting some real weight again in meso 3, I've felt like an absolute pussy smith squatting 25's and poo poo.

My legs lost a lot of mass on my summer cut so they're still bouncing back. Hoping for 193 by the end.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

Yeah I said gently caress it for this meso because the volumes so insane. Back to tracking my diet for weeks 1 and 2 though. Really looking forward to lifting some real weight again in meso 3, I've felt like an absolute pussy smith squatting 25's and poo poo.

My legs lost a lot of mass on my summer cut so they're still bouncing back. Hoping for 193 by the end.

How tall are you again? I found after the second meso that the weight in meso three felt weirdly heavy, to the point that I wasn’t sure I was able to lift it for more than two reps, but that feeling was gone by the second week. Funny what your body gets used to, and that’s why it’s called the resensatisation phase. :ms:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I had a great day at the gym tonight my dudes. I got 8 on my 100x3+ set for OHP then hit another weight PR of 110x3 directly afterward. I think I'm going to hit the 1 plate OHP before the 2 plate bench for sure, but I'm not sure. I think my weight PR on bench right now is 175x3 for what I've actually done, but I feel like I could have done 180x3 that time.

Also, to the guy I was talking about lat pulldown with - have you tried this one yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnCwnmTq5Y It feels better to me than the underhand version. I'm really digging it.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I also had a great night in the gym. I set a new max squat at 315. I think I only ever hit 310, almost 2 years ago. Did two reps of 275, 285 and 300 flew up so I said gently caress it and went for 3 plates. 315 felt great, form was good and I slowly got it up without any hiccups.

Then right afterwards I did some sumo deadlifts and beat my old PR of 315x3, and got 4 reps. :hellyeah:

I haven't deadlifted over 300 pounds in about half a year. This Tuesday I got 3 reps of 295, but had awful sleep the day before. I was feeling strong, and all the sets I did were beating the previous weeks for reps. I knew 315 was close, and that I would either get it next week, or after squatting today if I was feeling the power.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also, to the guy I was talking about lat pulldown with - have you tried this one yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnCwnmTq5Y It feels better to me than the underhand version. I'm really digging it.

Not sure if you meant me, but I saw that video when it came up earlier, and did some close grip pulldowns just like that last Monday. It felt good, will experiment with that next Monday morning, probably try it one handed too.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm the person who does ten really slow reps of ten pounds on every machine in the gym and calls it a workout.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

so loving strong legs

I'm going to have to take a sabbatical so that I can run through all 3 mesos without interruption.

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately
whats the point in having kai greene in stranger things 2 if he's wearing clothes the entire time???

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Dislocated my kneecap on Friday (subluxation of the patella). Not at the gym, but working late at school. Probably the 10th time this has happened in my life and at this point its really not even that debilitating. I'm stiff and sore but I was walking (mostly) normally within an hour of it happening. Its happened frequent enough to make me hesitant, but random enough that I have no idea when it'll happen. So now I just live in dread of my knee deciding "hey now is a good time to gently caress you up for a bit"

Gonna squat tomorrow. :getin:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
is anyone else usually really weak after a deload week? My deadlifts today were certainly not exceptional. :smith:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

canned from the band posted:

whats the point in having kai greene in stranger things 2 if he's wearing clothes the entire time???

I only have watched the first 5 episodes, does he show up again? I only caught a quick glimpse at the start but was to lazy to rewind to make sure it was really him.

Good for him that he got a small role.

Sludge Tank posted:

is anyone else usually really weak after a deload week? My deadlifts today were certainly not exceptional. :smith:

Not really deload but I notice that my CNS is the main issue in heavy lifts after a break. I just feel very weak and unstable on something that went without a hitch 2-3 weeks before. And I don't think muscles disintegrate that fast, even if it is me.

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 30, 2017

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kelp Me! posted:

DLed 3x5 230 today which is by far a new PR for me (last best was 1x5 225). Is there a reliable cue for "don't attempt this rep it will destroy your back?" I always worry about that.

I don't have that but I do have an ironclad rule which says that a failed deadlift rep, for any goddamn reason whatsoever, means the end of the workout, no wiggle room or possibility of interpretation. I believe this has saved me from a number of bad back episodes.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Helios Grime posted:

I only have watched the first 5 episodes, does he show up again? I only caught a quick glimpse at the start but was to lazy to rewind to make sure it was really him.

Good for him that he got a small role.

Not really deload but I notice that my CNS is the main issue in heavy lifts after a break. I just feel very weak and unstable on something that went without a hitch 2-3 weeks before. And I don't think muscles disintegrate that fast, even if it is me.

I feel weak and unstable most days and seem to rely on caffeine and PWO to get me going. I'm hoping I'm just a little slow off the mark after the deload week. Strength is so unpredictable at the best of times, got me hosed how people can plan to lift big weights at meets.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sludge Tank how much sleep, actual sleep not laying in bed awake, are you getting? How high is the quality of protein are you eating and are you eating fruits and vegetables? Are you active outside of lifting?

If the answers are less than 7-8 hours a night, majority isn't animal based, not much and games are an activity. You are going to feel like garbage.

Go to bed at 10pm, eat a steak and salad then go for a couple walks a day.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I can't afford to eat steak. I can't afford to eat whatever I want, really. I'm amazed I manage to get what I do on my budget.

I probably get between 8-10 hours a night. I sleep in most days.

I can't afford to eat a lot of fruit. I have about 80g of pea and rice protein a day (2-3 scoops) + 2 raw eggs mixed in, I eat a cup of brown rice every day mixed with about a large takeaway container full of chicken, broccoli, carrot, asparagus, capsicum, zucchini and mushrooms which all but the chicken are raw. On really heavy lift days I'll eat a big meal of deep fried chicken + chips or something after my workout or some calorie-heavy rubbish.

(I bulk cook). I eat a bowl of oats + banana for breakfast. I eat other stuff at work which is in a pub/bar they make me all sorts of weird stuff.

I use creatine and BCAA's and I also take zinc, iron, magnesium, Vit D, Vit B, Vit C, fish oil and calcium tablets every day.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 30, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Save money by not buying pointless supplements.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Seems like you might have low test :grin:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Probably man.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Sludge Tank posted:

I use creatine and BCAA's and I also take zinc, iron, magnesium, Vit D, Vit B, Vit C, fish oil and calcium tablets every day.

Your regular diet is varied enough that you don't need all these supplements. Depending on how much you take it might even be bad for you. More isn't always better.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I do a lot of very heavy lifting. I'm encroaching well into "advanced" territory. I'm getting pretty big at around 230lbs. I like to take the vitamin supplements as assurance as i'm aware my diet, which by the way has been more or less exactly the same for about a year now, may fall short particularly in iron. I dont see a lot of sunlight, either. I've always been a very fatigued person and had no energy as a child growing up. If it weren't for strength training i'd be pretty sedentary.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Also BCAA supplementation is almost certainly snakeoil.

https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/

So save that money as well.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I've been toying with the idea of a very low testosterone cycle to assist with my recovery and energy levels. Maybe 200mg a week or something, but i cant afford it.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Sludge Tank posted:

I do a lot of very heavy lifting. I'm encroaching well into "advanced" territory. I'm getting pretty big at around 230lbs. I like to take the vitamin supplements as assurance as i'm aware my diet, which by the way has been more or less exactly the same for about a year now, may fall short particularly in iron. I dont see a lot of sunlight, either. I've always been a very fatigued person and had no energy as a child growing up. If it weren't for strength training i'd be pretty sedentary.

Everything I've read points to Vitamin D being a good idea in your situation. Probably is for most goons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

VitD was a pretty noticeable difference for me since I'm in a windowless office all day. Plus a year's supply of the 5000mcg ones is like $15.

Fish oil is another one that's made a noticeable difference too

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
nothing has ever improved my energy levels like regular cardio. i know lifters hate it but there you go.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cardio? You mean deadlifts?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think cardio is a new type of supplement. Probably contains meth

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

Cardio? You mean deadlifts?

I think he means squats tbh

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Zzulu posted:

I think cardio is a new type of supplement. Probably contains meth

Well i dont wanna do meth so....

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like if I took meth and went to the gym I'd end up meticulously reorganizing all the plates and aligning all the benches with the lights on the ceiling and poo poo.

Also dying of a heart attack while deadlifting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank posted:

You're such a cliche.

Go sit outside and eat an apple.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I've added chocolate milk to my post-workout meal. That's my supplement story.

Also got 1 rep at 225 on bench today. :frogbon:

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 30, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pesmerga posted:

Aren't you like 140lbs at 5'9? eat more drat food ffs

Dum Cumpster posted:

I've only done farmers walks a few times, I think you're the expert here. I'd definitely say they're a more useful exercise if you only had time to do them or shrugs.

Agreeing 110% here: Loaded carries are probably the best overall bang for your buck exercise you can do, both for general strength, actual real world carryover, and especially for beefy af traps.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 30, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
First month back on 5/3/1 and managed to bench 3 reps of 245. I guess that's reasonable.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I love watching the weights from your "1+" week move back to your "5+" week over the course of a few cycles. Such a satisfying way to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The dumbbells in my gym are too small for me there's another new pair of 50kgs on the racks but still nothing heavier ffs.

Any tips for one arm rowing a barbell in a way that would massively inconvenience everyone around me? For a start I'd have to build some sort of platform to get the right height and range of motion.