Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Given they elected a middle-school kid, I'm picturing American Idol on a planetary scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What was Naboo’s chief industry, anyway? Those glowing power orbs? Copper roofing?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Gonz posted:

What was Naboo’s chief industry, anyway? Those glowing power orbs? Copper roofing?

Guardrails

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gonz posted:

Some sort of plasma mining. The big glowy room the final lightsaber fight happens in is a energy refinery type thing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gonz posted:

Gungan meat

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Gonz posted:

They exported soft and smooth.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You weren't allowed in the sports bar in AotC unless you showed your butt

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s ideology: to the fans, fascism is unnatural. It doesn’t appear as a result of systemic problems; it happens because of bad people corrupting the innocent and causing irrational behaviour. So doing away with fascism is as easy as being more rational.

So fans get badly confused that Padme, a perfectly intelligent and rational person, likes fascism. Even though the movie is about the rise of a fascist dictatorship.
So what you're saying is that the Star Wars prequels predicted Democrats being more scared of antifa than they are of Nazis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

They exported soft and smooth.

That no pumparum
that no picklepee

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Bombad-class Star Destroyer

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

porfiria posted:

Characters in Star Wars shouldn't be dyeing their hair because that makes me think of fashion which makes me think of mass media and popular culture which shouldn't be a thing in Star Wars. Like, there's no Internet or TV in Star Wars.

dyed hair is rad

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

So what you're saying is that the Star Wars prequels predicted Democrats being more scared of antifa than they are of Nazis.

Wiemar Germany predicted that.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Where do Porgs fall on the political spectrum? And also on the autism spectrum?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvmx94cUVEY

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8soRSEH3lvA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I hope it turns out porgs are just meat for Ewoks

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of Ewoks, this cartoon set right around the end of ROTJ addresses a major thing about them. The title is "An Imperial Feast".
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/925044644643143681
Also, Hera and Chopper are in it too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Ewoks, this cartoon set right around the end of ROTJ addresses a major thing about them. The title is "An Imperial Feast".
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/925044644643143681
Also, Hera and Chopper are in it too.

Han's wearing the wrong clothes. Not canon!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

porfiria posted:

Where do Porgs fall on the political spectrum? And also on the autism spectrum?

Communist state and fidget spinners, respectively.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I was gonna say something like "well I guess that's one way to find out the rebels cast doesn't die" but I realized I literally don't care.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Captain Splendid posted:

Fractalsponge is probably my favourite 3d artist but occasionally his designs can look unfortunate from some angles

I'm a bad star wars fan, I thought of Gypsy from mst3k.

Then I googled to confirm and she only has one eye, so now I'm a bad star wars AND a bad mst3k fan.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

El Burbo posted:

I was gonna say something like "well I guess that's one way to find out the rebels cast doesn't die" but I realized I literally don't care.

"They died."

-George Lucas, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Hera and Sabine were both in a novel set after ROTJ, anyway.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

porfiria posted:

"They died."

-George Lucas, 2014

If anyone has this entire post handy, I haven't read it in a year or two

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ingmar terdman posted:

If anyone has this entire post handy, I haven't read it in a year or two

During a Q&A with George Lucas:

Tim’s time finally comes, and it looks like he will be the second to the last question. He approaches the mic and starts his question - or more correctly his explanation. He goes on about how he always felt the strength of the films was in the protagonists, and how thoughts of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewey always helped get him through sad times because they were such fun and life-embracing people (people, not characters). I can’t even paraphrase everything he said, or how his excitement and joy grew with each word, but after a couple of minutes he finally got to the question. “So, basically, my question is to ask what happened to them after Jedi. Did they stay friends? Go on more adventures? Did they ever have kids of their own?”

This whole time George has been sitting in his chair with the table and water at his side on the stage in front of the screen. He doesn’t move or blink during the question, and appears to be giving Tim his rapt attention. After Tim finishes, he looks up for a moment or two in a “pondering” pose, then looks back and slowly says “They died.” He then turns to the other aisle for the final question.

Tim just sort of slowly stood at the mic after that. I couldn’t see his face, but his entire body just sort of slumped. The person in the other aisle just quietly said “I think you answered my question already” and went back to his seat. The theater was pitch quiet, Lucas had turned back to face the center of the theater and took a sip of water, and the professor just sort of slowly walked forward and said “If there are no more questions, lets take our break and start the film in ten minutes.”

[I sadly don't recall who wrote this originally. This copy was from Neil Cicierega's blog.]

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i adore 'they died' as an answer because it's really the logical conclusion to fandom-y treating fictional stories as historical documents and treating characters as real people

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I never realized how that post is like the nerdcore anti-nerd film student equivalent of "The atheist professor smirked quite Jewishly" copypasta.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want proof of that encounter.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm Tim.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Sith that never happened :grin:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

During a Q&A with George Lucas:

Tim’s time finally comes, and it looks like he will be the second to the last question. He approaches the mic and starts his question - or more correctly his explanation. He goes on about how he always felt the strength of the films was in the protagonists, and how thoughts of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewey always helped get him through sad times because they were such fun and life-embracing people (people, not characters). I can’t even paraphrase everything he said, or how his excitement and joy grew with each word, but after a couple of minutes he finally got to the question. “So, basically, my question is to ask what happened to them after Jedi. Did they stay friends? Go on more adventures? Did they ever have kids of their own?”

This whole time George has been sitting in his chair with the table and water at his side on the stage in front of the screen. He doesn’t move or blink during the question, and appears to be giving Tim his rapt attention. After Tim finishes, he looks up for a moment or two in a “pondering” pose, then looks back and slowly says “They died.” He then turns to the other aisle for the final question.

Tim just sort of slowly stood at the mic after that. I couldn’t see his face, but his entire body just sort of slumped. The person in the other aisle just quietly said “I think you answered my question already” and went back to his seat. The theater was pitch quiet, Lucas had turned back to face the center of the theater and took a sip of water, and the professor just sort of slowly walked forward and said “If there are no more questions, lets take our break and start the film in ten minutes.”

[I sadly don't recall who wrote this originally. This copy was from Neil Cicierega's blog.]

That is amazing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Whether or not the story itself is true, what it tells us about George Lucas' character and approach to Star Wars is brutally accurate.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Speaking of quotes from George Lucas, anyone have that one interview Lucas gave back in the early '80s, plainly explaining his then-current conception of how the Force worked, with it essentially boiling down to: (1) the Force is generated by and connected to all life in the galaxy (i.e. no mention of space germs) and (2) anyone can learn to use the Force with enough time, patience, and the right training.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

josh04 posted:

Whether or not the story itself is true, what it tells us about George Lucas' character and approach to Star Wars is brutally accurate.

I said this before but George Lucas is the best simply because he doesn't take Star Wars as seriously as Star Wars fans do. Watch any behind the scenes stuff, and he's more likely to call them "laser swords" than "lightsabers", and he freaking invented the name.

I remember a couple of years ago at a Star Wars fan film convention, people got upset at him for picking, as the fan film of the year, a animated short about a child singing about getting a Boba Fett action figure. Fans thought it was disrespectful that he would choose that over something that expanded the lore and used SFX.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I said this before but George Lucas is the best simply because he doesn't take Star Wars as seriously as Star Wars fans do. Watch any behind the scenes stuff, and he's more likely to call them "laser swords" than "lightsabers", and he freaking invented the name.
That makes him sound like a bit of a dullard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Davros1 posted:

I don't buy that, if only because I don't think you can create a series over the course of six films and however many decades and not take it seriously.

However, there's certainly a difference between him and the typical fan about what they find important within the films.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

George Lucas strikes me as the sort of guy who likes to gently caress with people. Got a deadpan sense of humor and doesn't particularly care if nobody else gets the joke.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't buy that, if only because I don't think you can create a series over the course of six films and however many decades and not take it seriously.

However, there's certainly a difference between him and the typical fan about what they find important within the films.

there's a world of difference between 'not taking it seriously' and 'taking it less serious than star wars fans' though

fans will almost always take a piece of media more seriously than their creators, because they haven't had the time behind the scenes putting effort into creating it to constantly remind them that it's ultimately a piece of art and not a window into another universe that just magically sprung up from the aether

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

George Lucas strikes me as the sort of guy who likes to gently caress with people. Got a deadpan sense of humor and doesn't particularly care if nobody else gets the joke.

Agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It amazes me how people think he was serious when they roped him into some meeting about the Force Unleashed and he wanted to use names like Darth Icky or Insanius.