Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery was actually really solid this week and the characters are starting to become more than cardboard cutouts. Stoned Stamets is quickly becoming the main reason I download tune in each week.

Dancing Stamets recounting how he met Dr. Culber was all kinds of adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Purgatory's Shadow

poo poo got real.

Strong Garak episode, lots of foreshadowing for the rest of the series, and a nice oh poo poo twist.

Solid part one of a two-parter, and ending with a suitable butt-puckering sight.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Dancing Stamets recounting how he met Dr. Culber was all kinds of adorable.
Much better than "their" "first" scene.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery was actually really solid this week and the characters are starting to become more than cardboard cutouts. Stoned Stamets is quickly becoming the main reason I download tune in each week.

Stamets being silly is not doing it for me, I liked that in this episode he was actually thrown into the role of needing to take poo poo seriously because I have about as much tolerance for the apparent chief engineer being high on mushrooms everyday as I do for Uhura getting zapped retarded by Nomad. There’s a level on which it is comic, but you can’t take it seriously if they stick with it long. In TOS they could just hand wave Uhura back to being fine next week, in STD level of continuity it’s growing increasingly awkward that nobody except Culber seems to take it seriously at all. His attempt to make excuses for Stamets’ inappropriate behavior in this episode left me feeling uneasy about this plot point. It’s like he has a drug problem and nobody else but Culber cares.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
By Inferno's Light

"What I did, I did to make Cardassia great strong again."

In a show with a lot of great two-parters, this duology might be my favorite. Good Garak, good Martok, good Worf - hell, peak Worf, the status quo changes significantly, Romulans are good guys, good-as-evil Dukat, and another showcase by the Dominion on why they're to be feared even if it doesn't work this time.

Even good exchange with Quark to pay Shimmerman's paycheck for the episode.

:females: The Jem'hadar don't eat, don't drink, and they don't have sex. The Founders don't eat, don't drink, and they don't have sex. Just between you and me, my financial future is looking grim.

:chloe: You never know! The Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic nymphomaniacs!

:females: You know, I never thought of that!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Doctor Bashir I Presume

Having watched this series from the beginning with full knowledge of this episode, I have to say it's a remarkably deft retcon. Doesn't contradict anything and indeed adds an interesting layer to so much of what Bashir says and does in the seasons and episodes prior when you know this is coming.

That being said, I have mixed feelings about Bashir in general. The doctor has always been a fixture of Star Trek thanks to McCoy, but then Crusher in TNG failed to rise above the two notes of "is Wesley's mom" and "is a doctor." Bashir throughout DS9 suffers a similar problem. He's a doctor, he has a bromance with O'Brien, he's close friends with Garak. And in early seasons he's a horndog perpetually trying and failing to get into Dax's pants. Up to this point, Bashir has been my pick for the single shallowest member of the Deep Space Nine cast, behind even Rom and Nog. Bashir episodes are invariably doctor episodes - occasionally very strong ones like The Quickening, but doctor episodes all the same. Bashir's skirt-chasing was thankfully dropped after a couple of seasons, but the scene with Zimmerman interviewing the cast can't help but be perfunctory. O'Brien and Garak (conspicuously absent from this episode) are the only characters Bashir's ever interacted with as more than a doctor.

Which leads to this episode. I don't mind the concept of Bashir being genetically enhanced, and think Star Trek could stand to explore transhuman ideas more than it does, but I don't think it's handled well with Bashir as I recall future episodes doing. Especially not the godawful other group of augmented.

That said, I can't bring myself to outright dislike the move because at least it gives Bashir something more to do and something unique at that. Bashir up to this point has had barely any history or character of his own, playing off O'Brien and Garak but not really standing on his own. He's Harry Kim in a teal shirt. Bashir being revealed as a changeling two episodes previously carried no weight with me because Bashir was barely a character and we didn't know him well enough to recognize any signs of him behaving weirdly until it was time to make the dramatic reveal at which point it was super obvious. Siddig's a good actor, though, and Bashir was desperately in need of something to do as a character.

Was this the best thing to do with Bashir as a character? No. Is it handled well after this? I don't remember that being the case, but we'll see. But at least DS9's writers tried to avoid another Chakotay or Kim.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skasion posted:

Stamets being silly is not doing it for me, I liked that in this episode he was actually thrown into the role of needing to take poo poo seriously because I have about as much tolerance for the apparent chief engineer being high on mushrooms everyday as I do for Uhura getting zapped retarded by Nomad. There’s a level on which it is comic, but you can’t take it seriously if they stick with it long. In TOS they could just hand wave Uhura back to being fine next week, in STD level of continuity it’s growing increasingly awkward that nobody except Culber seems to take it seriously at all. His attempt to make excuses for Stamets’ inappropriate behavior in this episode left me feeling uneasy about this plot point. It’s like he has a drug problem and nobody else but Culber cares.

Ehh, I think it's a little more understandable when you consider he basically had his mind opened to the raw mechanics of the universe and he's high on life. Burnham and Lorca definitely notice he's being odd, but Lorca wants results and Burnham...doesn't care? Like everything else on the show, it starts to make less sense when you give it serious thought, but for now it's nice to have a character that isn't entirely dour or standoffish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A Simple Investigation

Girl of the week episode, yawn.

Touches on an interesting idea with someone agreeing to erase their memories and implant a new identity for an undercover operation and the complications that can lead to, but it's barely talked about in the episode. Girl of the week stories are rarely memorable unless there's some truly great chemistry, and in this one there isn't so it isn't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Crusher in TNG failed to rise above the two notes of "is Wesley's mom" and "is a doctor."

Hey, hey, be fair! She had many more notes than that!

She also had "kinda flirty with the Captain" and "once hosed a ghost (from a candle) that also hosed her grandmother"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If Harry Mudd has a time loop generator aren't there way easier and also 100% legal ways to make a ton of money with zero risk of being prosecuted afterwards instead of robbing banks and committing espionage?

Like the horse races, or options day trading, or the lotto?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Aquiel because of a last-minute recommendation. There's a dog in the engine, Undertaleishly

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh Aquiel is the dead lieutenant's name.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VitalSigns posted:

If Harry Mudd has a time loop generator aren't there way easier and also 100% legal ways to make a ton of money with zero risk of being prosecuted afterwards instead of robbing banks and committing espionage?

Like the horse races, or options day trading, or the lotto?
His ego is not interested in the little scores.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm really lost. Don't know where Geordi is or why he's listening to a recording of a woman describing a dream she had

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm really lost. Don't know where Geordi is or why he's listening to a recording of a woman describing a dream she had

He's in Aquiel's quarters listening to her personal log

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh no Geordi. I know that look

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Now that I'm out here in space, there's nowhere to run"

:stare:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm lolling at Geordi pouring himself a drink in the dead girl's glassware, sitting on her bed, petting her dog

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Business As Usual

Ferengi episode, Quark is a good guy underneath, Sisko yells at people, etc.

Shimmerman's a fine actor, but I just don't care for Quark as anything but comic relief.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"I've been up all night watching her personal logs, I guess I feel like I'm starting to know her"

What is it with Geordi falling in love with women who don't exist

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stare:

And also again with Geordi having a chance to meet his waifu irl

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

Stamets being silly is not doing it for me, I liked that in this episode he was actually thrown into the role of needing to take poo poo seriously because I have about as much tolerance for the apparent chief engineer being high on mushrooms everyday as I do for Uhura getting zapped retarded by Nomad.

Now if this was The Orville on the other hand...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Man what really happened here

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Geordi told her he looked through all her poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Someone posts it every week. Wow, immediately after the new episode weird on the street from the shows tiny fanbase of diehards willing to pay money to watch it, is that it's good?

Do you really think anyone here signed up for all access?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

She's taking it surprisingly well

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh Jesus is she a sociopath manipulating Geordi

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Astroman posted:

Now if this was The Orville on the other hand...

...then I wouldn’t be watching it

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Found this awesome video while replying to the Orville thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTX5qwjqQ8M

Kira's hair is a bird.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker: "Geordi, I think you're letting your personal feelings cloud your judgement."
Geordi: "Mmmmnah."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you really think anyone here signed up for all access?

Geordi did, apparently

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aaaaaaaand he mouth kissed her

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Geordi told her he looked through all her poo poo

Man, HD is not kind, at all, to some of the uniforms. That poo poo looks like one of the Rubie's Halloween costumes with a better dye job.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crusher: "This is going to sound very far-fetched, but..."

Don't worry about it, Doctor

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Somebody's been bodysnatched

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh motherfuck, was the ritual just to steal Geordi's DNA

Wait that sounds wrong

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Did Geordi really find someone who likes him and ISN'T a fantasy OR a monster OR a sociopath