Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

As someone who came from WoW, the dps disparity between classes is completely loving negligible. It's nice that I can theoretically jump between a multitude of jobs and not wonder if I'm sandbagging the poo poo out of my raid comp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They should let me raid as a crafter. I see that loving Alembic has a weapon damage stat on it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Saint Freak posted:

Well, it's the lowest dps. Which is what you would expect from the jack of all trades class.

Quoting the dps stats of the last two weeks, months after savage progression, is a bit misleading to say the least! A lot of the great caster players are not playing RDM right now, and a lot of the speed running statics aren't doing weeklies anyway.

RDMs probably need a tiny bump but that's like saying Samurai and Monk need more utility. It'll probably never happen because they all perform very well in particular conditions.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rascyc posted:

Quoting the dps stats of the last two weeks, months after savage progression, is a bit misleading to say the least! A lot of the great caster players are not playing RDM right now, and a lot of the speed running statics aren't doing weeklies anyway.

RDMs probably need a tiny bump but that's like saying Samurai and Monk need more utility. It'll probably never happen because they all perform very well in particular conditions.

That's as far back as it lets me select and shows that the class that should logically be at the bottom is at the bottom. Why would you bump them?

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I haven't touched drk since the expansion came out and I'm thinking about going back to it a bit but I'm a really inexperienced tank and I have some questions.

Before you wanted to be out of grit as much as possible even when you were tanking trash in a 4 man, now that blood price is grit-only is that still true? Should I be using grit on bosses for the boosted bloodspiller? Should I be stance dancing? Is grit just for AoE pulls? When should I use delirium instead of quietus/bloodspiller? Should I ever use carve and spit for mana instead of dark-arts-ing it?

I guess I'm unsure what the relative value of gaining mana is versus doing more damage upfront. I'm also guessing the answer to these questions is very different depending on the difficulty of the content that I'm trying to do.

e: Oh also what stats are good on tanks now? The answer seems weirdly complicated.

troofs fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 30, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

troofs posted:

I haven't touched drk since the expansion came out and I'm thinking about going back to it a bit but I'm a really inexperienced tank and I have some questions.

Before you wanted to be out of grit as much as possible even when you were tanking trash in a 4 man, now that blood price is grit-only is that still true? Should I be using grit on bosses for the boosted bloodspiller? Should I be stance dancing? Is grit just for AoE pulls? When should I use delirium instead of quietus/bloodspiller? Should I ever use carve and spit for mana instead of dark-arts-ing it?

I guess I'm unsure what the relative value of gaining mana is versus doing more damage upfront. I'm also guessing the answer to these questions is very different depending on the difficulty of the content that I'm trying to do.

e: oh also what stats are good on tanks now?

Here's my answers to some of these questions, but I suck at DRK. I generally only leave Grit when I'm tanking bosses because if there's one enemy left it's usually about to die anyway. Bloodspiller does less damage in Grit even with the boost. Don't stance dance unless you're about to lose aggro. Use Delirium whenever Blood Price/Blood Weapon are up, unless there's a bunch of enemies and you really need the Quietus MP, I guess. If I'm in AoE situations with tons of enemies and I've hosed it up baaaaad I sometimes use Carve and Spit for the MP, but I don't recommend this.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

troofs posted:

Before you wanted to be out of grit as much as possible even when you were tanking trash in a 4 man, now that blood price is grit-only is that still true? Should I be using grit on bosses (for dark arts bloodspiller)? Should I be stance dancing? Is grit just for AoE pulls? When should I use delirium instead of quietus/bloodspiller? Should I ever use carve and spit for mana instead of dark-arts-ing it?

Don't bother leaving grit for trash, it's not worth it. Use grit on bosses long enough to do a dark arts power slash and then turn it off till boss is dead. Bloodspiller in grit is still weaker then out of grit, even if the potency looks higher. Use delirium whenever blood weapon or blood price is up as it extends their duration. You really don't want to use carve and spit without DA unless you're in some kinda mana emergency I guess.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Saint Freak posted:

That's as far back as it lets me select and shows that the class that should logically be at the bottom is at the bottom. Why would you bump them?
Cause aligning embolden with literally anything is a big pain in the rear end and directly hurts their own pdps.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

What pdps heyoooooooooooo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A friend of mine needs to get Stormblood. Does anyone know any good deals on just the expansion?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

petition for new thread title

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Which part? Or just an imgur link to this screenshot?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Probably something about the last line.

I know as a melee DPS I've felt this way in the new dungeon when the tanks pull the stretch before the second boss. 3x Dharra Sentinels with their Plain Pounds synced up is deadly :argh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Reiterpallasch posted:

He kinda has a point if you're doing this in a low level dungeon in a group comp that doesn't have AOE yet but the rest of that is a bit silly. The overhealing bit clearly proves the guy doesn't play scholar, as there is no way the fairy is overhealing anything and that's the only healing that should be going out :colbert:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > FINAL FANTASY XIV: a bunch of strangers using fake names dressed as cats and midgets

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A bunch of strangers dressed as cats and midgets.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi,

I reached Bahamut in an Ultimate Coil pug group and here are my thoughts so far:

1) Holy loving poo poo Ultimate Coil is really really fun. It's rare for content to be so exhilarating and demanding, but tuned so incredibly well.
2) I don't really see groups being able to beat Ultimate Coil unless they are seriously hardcore. It requires too much time and is very difficult to make progress in.
3) DPS isn't that important* yet. Consistency is.

*However if you don't have enough DPS to beat Twin you are going to be in trouble.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BrightWing posted:

Wow, are there any good guides on SMN? Cause I've been screwing around on it but never felt top DPS powerful, mostly just chasing cds trying to keep everything ticking. Seriously missing something in my play and don't know what it might be.

I base my play on the advice from this which I have no idea if that's the correct way to play SMN but hey. Key takeaways though are basically just you want to maximize your burst phases as much as you can, try to stretch out your tri-disasters so you never have to hardcast dots but don't let them fall off, and remember to cast shadowflare even on single targets, it's instant cast and free damage.

Also remember to have Addle on your bar, it's straight up an oGCD damage button for you when you have Bahamut out. It's my favorite thing about SMN right now because it's super dumb.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Griz posted:

or if you're on Primal, there's a goon primal farm static that currently has an opening for a healer or dps. lately we've been doing birds and Shinryu because the dog drop rate is terrible and so are Shinryu pf groups.

https://catgirl.bargains/topic/199-some-jerks-who-bullied-zurvan-general-trials-static/

Oh hey, it's me, Quiorra. I got my Zurvan bird with you lads. I had to go do school and work for a long time there, but I'm back now. If you'll have me back, please take me. Still at QuiorraSon on Discord. I have Ravana, Bismarck, and Thordan already done as well.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
There's no way they aren't going to nerf SMN, possibly quite heavily, so get in now while the getting's good.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

He kinda has a point if you're doing this in a low level dungeon in a group comp that doesn't have AOE yet but the rest of that is a bit silly. The overhealing bit clearly proves the guy doesn't play scholar, as there is no way the fairy is overhealing anything and that's the only healing that should be going out :colbert:

Sure, if you're in a dungeon low enough that most of the DPS don't have any AoE to work with, megapulls is dumb. If you're running expert and the tank pulls 20 things and the dps says "I'm going to use my single target rotation on each of these things one after the other", it is the dps that is 100% at fault for any bad experiences that derive from that dungeon.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hra Mormo posted:

There's no way they aren't going to nerf SMN, possibly quite heavily, so get in now while the getting's good.

Doubtful and fflogs is probably over parsing dots anyway.

Also the job is like rng city with ruin 4 procs and whether you roll crits/direct hits on flares/akh morns.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 31, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BrightWing posted:

Wow, are there any good guides on SMN? Cause I've been screwing around on it but never felt top DPS powerful, mostly just chasing cds trying to keep everything ticking. Seriously missing something in my play and don't know what it might be.

This is the author

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 31, 2017

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Any late late night (10 PST) statics looking for a samurai/melee DPS? Really want to raid again but can't commit to a set time unless its super late. Closing sucks. Excalibur

Kuai fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 31, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Upon rewatching The Parting Glass' cutscene, I couldn't help but notice that Ilberd uses his SLOPPEH attack on Raubahn. That's some nice detail.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
:siren: Ultimania is live! :siren: Let's see if we can reach Nael tonight.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've been seeing a number of NINs using Doton in their single target rotation. Did something change from 60 to 70 that makes that the right call?

Spoz
May 25, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I've been seeing a number of NINs using Doton in their single target rotation. Did something change from 60 to 70 that makes that the right call?

When using the 70 ability, Ten-Chi-Jin, the highest potency combination is Fuma->Katon->Doton if the enemy stays in the AoE the entire time.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

If they are doing the doton combo in TCJ it should be more damage than the suiton combo as long as it ticks for the full duration. If they are doing it without TCJ I'm pretty sure it is just a bad idea.

You should really be using TCJ to set up trick attack whenever you can though.

slev fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 31, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Only 99.4? What an amateur.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

If K'azula's internet didn't suddenly poo poo the bed, we could've easily downed Twintania tonight; only one of us was potting. The potter was K'azula. Coincidence? :stare:

e: Cirina's DPS is usually way higher than that, like, 1k more. Somehow the run we came closest to downing Twin so far was a run where he died.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 31, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Cleared Susano EX and Lakshmi EX twice each today.

The former can be a real jerk when he wants to be. Getting KO'd, rezzed, immediately hit with a Levinbolt marker and not being healed, rezzed again, and then immediately put into the stone attack and getting rezzed AGAIN because everyone was too busy dodging puddles.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

If K'azula's internet didn't suddenly poo poo the bed, we could've easily downed Twintania tonight; only one of us was potting. The potter was K'azula. Coincidence? :stare:

Next time you guys raid give Gokai a smooch for me :h:

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Kuai posted:

Any late late night (10 PST) statics looking for a samurai/melee DPS? Really want to raid again but can't commit to a set time unless its super late. Closing sucks. Excalibur

Bug velthice on discord, holli would ingame

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Maintenance is really early tonight so watch out for that.

quote:

[Date & Time]
Oct. 31, 2017 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (PDT)
* Completion time is subject to change.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Glagha posted:

I base my play on the advice from this which I have no idea if that's the correct way to play SMN but hey. Key takeaways though are basically just you want to maximize your burst phases as much as you can, try to stretch out your tri-disasters so you never have to hardcast dots but don't let them fall off, and remember to cast shadowflare even on single targets, it's instant cast and free damage.

Also remember to have Addle on your bar, it's straight up an oGCD damage button for you when you have Bahamut out. It's my favorite thing about SMN right now because it's super dumb.

Just a heads up, I went to read some of this just now and it's been blocked by Google for some reason.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BrightWing posted:

Just a heads up, I went to read some of this just now and it's been blocked by Google for some reason.

Well whatever that big infographic posted a bit ago is the same info better written (and also links to that exact same guide haw)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how far have people gotten in Bahamut now?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Augus posted:

how far have people gotten in Bahamut now?

there have been teasing images posted of an (tera?) flare being charged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rascyc posted:

Maintenance is really early tonight so watch out for that.

Yoship why would you do maintenance during US prime time on a Tuesday night instead of a Monday night.