Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Qassem suleimani is a really incredible commander on the field when he's not busy overseeing mass civilian genocides.

Which genocides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Al-Saqr posted:

Hold on to your assholes everyone, We're going nuclear!

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1185891/middle-east

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/925139005280223233

looking forward to having a nuke program with zero nuclear scientists and a complete lack of a domestic scientific base capable of managing it!

This isn't really a new development? SA wants to be like ~25% nuclear powered by 2025. There are a ton of SA foreign students in my Nuke-E department here in the states; for all their faults it seems like the Saudis at least see the writing on the wall w/r/t oil. Whether they'll be able to accomplish that is another thing. But they're at least attempting to train a shitload of engineers towards that task.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Count Roland posted:

Which genocides?

He oversaw the survival of assads genocidal regime in Syria, oversaw the Iraqi death squads and bragged about conquering four Arab capitals.

The Protagonist posted:

This isn't really a new development? SA wants to be like ~25% nuclear powered by 2025. There are a ton of SA foreign students in my Nuke-E department here in the states; for all their faults it seems like the Saudis at least see the writing on the wall w/r/t oil. Whether they'll be able to accomplish that is another thing. But they're at least attempting to train a shitload of engineers towards that task.

I'm just laughing at the idea of it. We don't have any kind of industrial, scientific or engineering capacity to make a home grown nuclear programe so at best those students are just gonna be project managers of a french nuclear reactor.

Speaking of infuriating, have a propaganda video they just shat on my twitter timeline:-

https://twitter.com/diraalwatan/status/924879948514582528

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol here comes exported nuclear loving terrorism from sauds. I feel its inevitable that NYC is gong to be ficking nuked and it fucks with me evrry now and again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Duckbox posted:

The KDP Peshmerga upped stakes and ran when IS moved on Sinjar while the PKK stayed to protect civilians from genocide. The Peshmerga look pretty good when they get to play offense, but they haven't been very impressive at defending their gains.

A lot of people thought they were playing possum at the time, or just didn't care about fighting for the Yezidi, especially since they were about to secure Kirkuk around the same time, but yeah they were probably dramatically overrated as fighters because of their US training. The hopelessness of their cause definitely didn't help either though; even a heroic stand probably wouldn't have done much good against a war hardened Iraqi army and militias.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes, but Erdogan rolled all of it back when the Kurds didn't vote for him in the legislative. Then he had to start the elections over from scratch after putting all the HDP people in jail and sending the army to randomly destroy some of the Kurdish villages where he got the least votes.

No, Erdogan did not roll any legislation back and Kurds did continue to vote for his party as well as HDP and BDP. And the Turkish security forces most certainly did not "randomly destroy some of the Kurdish villages where he got the lest votes", nor has the Turkish security forces "randomly destroyed some Kurdish villages" at all. Is there some alternate timeline and dimension those took place and I'm not aware of?

Some of the posters here are so clueless that I end up finding myself in the weird position of having to defend Erdogan.

almighty fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 31, 2017

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The KDP and PUK are the bourgeois parties, and the PKK is the party of the people, and it shows.

Not at all. PUK and KDP have popular support behind them in Northern Iraq and even outside of Northern Iraq. One thing KCK/PKK absolutely does not enjoy is mass, popular support. They don't have it in Southeast Turkey and they most certainly don't have it in Northern Iraq. KCK/PKK once tried to establish a puppet political party in Northern Iraq for running in KRG elections, and it failed so miserably in gaining voters that KCK/PKK later shut it down.

Local Kurds almost exclusively view PKK as a fringe, far-left, extremist cult of personality.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Market Friendly Islam is here and the Dow Jones had better brace itself for impact!

lollontee fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 1, 2017

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/925490616879816704

He does have a point here.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
The obviously solution is that Iran let US set up bases inside Iran to avoid sticking out like sore thumb.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

Market Friendly Islam is here and the Dow Jones had better brace itself for impact!

Buy your certified Mecca Holy Site stone while the stocks last!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

What point?

First, he's being dishonest, because he counts things like this as current military bases. Secondly, here's another infographic:

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jseldin/status/925764444814282752

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

https://www.cia.gov/library/abbottabad-compound/04/04EECD5C76FCA0E4F98E122FE127F5AA_Windows_Logon_Sound.wav

That feeling when someone is being intentionally obtuse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
loving Christmas morning at the FDD.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol remember when all america had to do was get bin laden and things would go back to normal?

What? Geo-Hell nightmare future instead? welp.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hassan Hassan is cracking into OBL's journal. Big thread.

https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/925784658465427457

Back in the day, Saudi Arabia used to recruit Muslim Brotherhood teachers from Egypt to come and run schools in the country. Osama went to one of those schools. Kind of funny history considering the state of Saudi/MB relations today.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 1, 2017

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/aronlund/status/925850590344810497

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's pretty crazy that Loose Change is one of the movies that was on bin Laden's hard drive.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

It's pretty crazy that Loose Change is one of the movies that was on bin Laden's hard drive.

He just wanted to know who did 9/11.

He was getting too close to the truth, which is why Obama had him killed. :tinfoil:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I usually see maps like this shared in response to some statement about Iran being a threat to the US, implying its the other way around.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Count Roland posted:

I usually see maps like this shared in response to some statement about Iran being a threat to the US, implying its the other way around.

Map or no map, it's objectively true that we're far more of a threat to them than they are to us. Even as someone who doesn't want a war, and would favor better relations if possible, I think it's reasonable for Americans to want it to stay that way of course--we could annihilate them, and I'd prefer for them not to have the option to do the same to us. I do think a less threatening posture by the US at some point in the past (though perhaps not today) could have led to better outcomes with both Iran and North Korea though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

El Disco posted:

He just wanted to know who did 9/11.

He was getting too close to the truth, which is why Obama had him killed. :tinfoil:

"I know I didn't do this, so who could it have been?? Hmm maybe this movie will explain it to me."

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

This video is pretty convincing, what if I didn't actually do 9/11 :wth:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Apparently Bin Laden was a Naruto fan.

Also happy 100th birthday Balfour Declaration! :toot: :v:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction released their quarterly report on the state of the Afghan conflict two days ago. The war has not been going particularly well for the United States. From the report:

quote:

The UN Secretary-General conducted a strategic review of the UN’s mission in Afghanistan this quarter. A key conclusion was that Afghanistan’s declining security situation continues to hamper institution building and development, and threatens to erode what gains have been achieved. The review stated that in recent years the conflict has become an “eroding stalemate in which the Taliban have increased the territory they are able to contest and, in some areas, have begun to consolidate their hold.”

I can't imagine the mental gymnastics necessary to invent the phrase "eroding stalemate."

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Squalid posted:

The Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction released their quarterly report on the state of the Afghan conflict two days ago. The war has not been going particularly well for the United States. From the report:

I can't imagine the mental gymnastics necessary to invent the phrase "eroding stalemate."

That is genuinely depressing. :(

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

That is genuinely depressing. :(

And all the more reason to engage in diplomatic talks with the Taliban, especially so that Afghanistan can focus more on the threat of IS-K in Nangarhar.

The insurgency will continue forever otherwise.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/nov/02/archaeolgists-discover-mysterious-void-deep-within-great-pyramid-of-giza

"Archaeologists discover mysterious void deep within Great Pyramid of Giza"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Intercept has a very good piece looking at the issues facing human rights violation investigators and documenters thanks to censorship on social media platforms. It's a big issue I'm spending a lot of my time working on with groups like the ICC and Syrian documentation groups, and the article explains the how situation very well.
https://theintercept.com/2017/11/02/war-crimes-youtube-facebook-syria-rohingya/

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

That's probably where they used to store the grain.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Chadderbox posted:

That's probably where they used to store the grain.
Why would they seal grain in a giant maesoleum intended to be sealed to outsiders?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grouchio posted:

Why would they seal grain in a giant maesoleum intended to be sealed to outsiders?

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a reference to when Ben Carson said that he believed they used to store grain in the pyramids.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Was supposed to be a remark on Ben Carson, head of USA's Housing and Urban Development, saying he believes that the pyramids were used to store grain. An example of just because you a brilliant in one field(brain surgery) doesn't make you qualified in others.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Ben Carson just played too much Civilization when he was younger.

(I believe it's Civilization 2 that gives you free granaries in your cities when you build the Pyramids)

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

It's a remark about how our government is run by total loving idiots who lack knowledge of basic facts at the grade school level.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It's been a foregone conclusion for a while but:

https://twitter.com/SaadAbedine/status/926338766591074304
"#Assad army, #Hezbollah & their allies have taken full control of #Syria's Deir Ezzor city from #ISIS "

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's been a foregone conclusion for a while but:

https://twitter.com/SaadAbedine/status/926338766591074304
"#Assad army, #Hezbollah & their allies have taken full control of #Syria's Deir Ezzor city from #ISIS "

Crazy how just over two years ago, the caliphate stretched from the Turkish border all the way to Fallujah and the outskirts of western Baghdad at Abu Ghraib.
Guess declaring war on basically every nation didn't pan out too well.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Laurenz posted:

Crazy how just over two years ago, the caliphate stretched from the Turkish border all the way to Fallujah and the outskirts of western Baghdad at Abu Ghraib.
Guess declaring war on basically every nation didn't pan out too well.

Their Paradox BadBoy™ score was off the charts. It was inevitable they'd be attacked from all sides really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ikasuhito posted:

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a reference to when Ben Carson said that he believed they used to store grain in the pyramids.

It's from a medieval attempt at shoehorning the pyramids into the bible.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34741010

Ben Carson being a person who strongly adheres to medieval religious beliefs, he embraced that legend as a "theory".

• Locked thread