Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ciaphas posted:

Oh my God the Festival

That was an actual song
Could honestly not believe this sequence. Easily one of the most memorable Mario moments I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Colonel posted:

turn-based rpgs, regardless of how fast the game is by default, are universally improved by fast forward

Turn-based rpgs would be universally improved by not being turn-based rpgs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Olive! posted:

some turn-based games are fun. cold steel and shadow hearts 2 for instance.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A Switch plus PC is the optimum two-platform choice, I would say

Hell yeah

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I got the mushroom kingdom timed star as the last pixel vanished and I couldn't be happier. The endgame content of Mario is always better than the story stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Olive! posted:

Turn based is the one true way. The generic attack item defense poo poo is just boring.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like that no matter how good I think I did on a koopa race, I can look it up and find a video of something out doing me by a good 30 seconds or more.

I'm glad I don't have many of those races left. They stress me out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
When I saw those, I had Mario 64 flashbacks of that one race...

Mario Odyssey did that to me. gently caress that goddamn Gold shiny gently caress.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The races have taught me some tricky moves at least. I've gotten way better at being able to do the long jump to hat throw to dive to hat bounce which comes in handy a lot. Also have gotten used to just using the dive in general. Right now I only have two more levels until I finally get to the unlockable levels.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Olive! posted:

Cold Steel was mentioned, but I have a hard time believing this would even improve the earlier Sky games in the Trail series (a combat system I am not too big on) because turn base just matches the feel of those games way better.

I wish everything turn base had Cold Steel combat though because its pretty much everything I want in a turn base JRPG

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

id like turn based battles way more if you didn't have to fight regular enemies with it and it was just for a scripted series of cool bosses. have leveling up be based on story stuff, exploration, collectables, idk but whatever it takes to make the fighting just for meaningful parts of the game so i don't go insane.

barring that i like the smt system cause you can just harness the momentum and plow through everything without getting touched.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the turn-based combat in D:OS2 way better than "all your party members are total idiots who need to be told what to do every .2 sec" RtWP systems CRPGs seem to love these days.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

I think it's quite plausible for a mid-tier studio to survive, they just have to actually accept that they're a mid-tier studio and make games that look and feel that. In Japan those kinds of companies and franchises exist, and are actually gaining a lot of ground in some cases, but in the west even a mid-tier company seems to have to chase the Mass Effects and Assassin's Creeds of the world.

Ninja Theory seem to have figured it out with HELLBLADE

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Real hurthling! posted:

id like turn based battles way more if you didn't have to fight regular enemies with it and it was just for a scripted series of cool bosses. have leveling up be based on story stuff, exploration, collectables, idk but whatever it takes to make the fighting just for meaningful parts of the game so i don't go insane.

:agreed:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
didn't sunning or someone who really knows their poo poo say that hellblade had an eight-figure AAA development budget and is in no way indicative of what a mid-tier studio can realistically produce?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

I think it's quite plausible for a mid-tier studio to survive, they just have to actually accept that they're a mid-tier studio and make games that look and feel that. In Japan those kinds of companies and franchises exist, and are actually gaining a lot of ground in some cases, but in the west even a mid-tier company seems to have to chase the Mass Effects and Assassin's Creeds of the world.

i think a mid-range studio could probably duplicate mass effect 4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The White Dragon posted:

didn't sunning or someone who really knows their poo poo say that hellblade had an eight-figure AAA development budget and is in no way indicative of what an mid-tier studio can realistically produce?

Production budget came in just under ~$10 million, which is 1/4th the cost of any large-scale AAA production but still more than a first-time studio with no history of success could probably manage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Cold Steel was mentioned, but I have a hard time believing this would even improve the earlier Sky games in the Trail series (a combat system I am not too big on) because turn base just matches the feel of those games way better.

I wish everything turn base had Cold Steel combat though because its pretty much everything I want in a turn base JRPG

I haven't played Cold Steel but Sky would be aces with Ys combat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nemesis is cool but re3 is kind of boring and the game suddenly dropped me into a room with a big worm that killed me in one hit while i was in caution and waiting to take another hit before using my mixed herbs and i hadn't saved after doing all the running around i'd just done because i figured i'd just be able to run to the cable car, so i think i'm done with resident evil, for now

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

precision posted:

It seems to involve having multiple projects for big publishers subsidizing your personal project, landing on the cover of Game Informer magazine, and spending enough on the development of the game that 200K+ copies isn't enough to break even.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

barring that i like the smt system cause you can just harness the momentum and plow through everything without getting touched.

Ubisoft learned this lesson with South Park fractured but whole, a game that has easily avoidable trash battles and every mandatory fight is a puzzle boss battle. It's a simplistic system but really fun.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

precision posted:

mutata posted:

That's essentially my point. Here in the west at least we're far too willing to point at outliers and go "see? THEY did it" and hold that against every other title.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

Ubisoft learned this lesson with South Park fractured but whole, a game that has easily avoidable trash battles and every mandatory fight is a puzzle boss battle. It's a simplistic system but really fun.

sounds good, can i play it without the south park part?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Samuringa posted:

I haven't played Cold Steel but Sky would be aces with Ys combat.

I never played a Ys game but once I finish up with these Trails games I am interested in checking out Falcom's other stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

I haven't finished it yet because Origins has consumed my soul but yeah, the RPG fighting bits of FBW are legit inspired and very well designed (outside of one or two glaring mis-steps, and at least one of those isn't "hard" just annoying)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snooze Cruise posted:

I never played a Ys game but once I finish up with these Trails games I am interested in checking out Falcom's other stuff.

ys rules.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

nemesis is cool but re3 is kind of boring and the game suddenly dropped me into a room with a big worm that killed me in one hit while i was in caution and waiting to take another hit before using my mixed herbs and i hadn't saved after doing all the running around i'd just done because i figured i'd just be able to run to the cable car, so i think i'm done with resident evil, for now
Honestly even Nemesis himself I'm not into that much. You see him so often that it just feels tedious. Doesn't help that RE3 has some of the most boring level design in the series.

I know a lot people love RE3 and think its the best in the series but I just don't see it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the combat in trails in the sky is really underdeveloped but i don't think ys combat would fit it at all. the old ys games work cause they're just like 10 hour long arcadey action games, if you pushed that to 60 hours it would get pretty miserable. the most recent game i've played is seven and even with a totally different system that game seriously wore on me after the first few hours. it seems like falcom only nailed down a system that can hook people that long with ys 8

besides yeah, i don't typically get absorbed into turn-based games but cold steel's worked the system out to the point where i was willing to dump 80 hours into it so i don't think being real-time would make it better

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ys 8 is good. skip all dialogue and just make up your own story in your head tho.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Alex Navarro drumming for hours and hours in Rock Band for charity is pretty glorious.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

the combat in trails in the sky is really underdeveloped but i don't think ys combat would fit it at all. the old ys games work cause they're just like 10 hour long arcadey action games, if you pushed that to 60 hours it would get pretty miserable. the most recent game i've played is seven and even with a totally different system that game seriously wore on me after the first few hours. it seems like falcom only nailed down a system that can hook people that long with ys 8

besides yeah, i don't typically get absorbed into turn-based games but cold steel's worked the system out to the point where i was willing to dump 80 hours into it so i don't think being real-time would make it better

its not really worth the length in 8 imo. I wish they would make a single protag, 6 hour slugfest again instead of filling their game with double digit hours of boring cutscenes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you pronounce ys, is it ys?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Digirat posted:

How do you pronounce ys, is it ys?
"Geese" without the "G" is usually how I do it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"eez"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys Howard

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

predictabo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Alex Navarro drumming for hours and hours in Rock Band for charity is pretty glorious.

Oh, it's that time of the year. I wonder what's in for tomorrow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

Link?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pI7u9z6qQ
(though he's currently on break)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh lord. I've been having a good time in Mario Odyssey and Golf Story, but I just remembered...

I never made it more than 1/4 of the way through Breath of the Wild. Haven't touched it in months, don't know anything about any of the DLC. And I kind of want to start it over, I don't like picking up games mid-playthrough after a long break.

I'm doomed.

• Locked thread