Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

K. Waste posted:

Also, on Netflix I just checked out the absurdly kinda schmaltzy and stupid, but nonetheless really beautifully shot and rather well-acted Sean Bean star-vehicle Drone, and I dig it. Soft recommend.

well that was loving sad. i didn't hate it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why exactly do people hate Elysium so much? It's not a movie I really feel like championing because I watched it once and I've forgot half of it, but I remember really enjoying it and not understanding why it got panned to the degree it did.

I definetly think both it and Chappie are better than district 9.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

Why exactly do people hate Elysium so much? It's not a movie I really feel like championing because I watched it once and I've forgot half of it, but I remember really enjoying it and not understanding why it got panned to the degree it did.

I definetly think both it and Chappie are better than district 9.

I think watching it and forgetting most of it is probably a good reason people hate it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched it like 5-6 years ago. I'd say that about most movies I haven't revisited. I don't love it or anything I just remember thinking it was way better than the low expectations I had.

Then again Chappie was the same deal. Everyone made it sound so loving horrible it took me a year to get around to watching it and I ended up thinking it was pretty good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah people/goons love to exaggerate how bad everything is. Like, come on, these are competently made films, it's okay to say "they're not great" instead of "I HATED IT"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I like their music and they're good in Chappie, but Ninja comes off as a tosser.

Yo-Landi is the good parent.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Steve Yun posted:

I never really thought the murder mystery was the point of the movie though. My main takeaway from the movie was that the "good guys" aren't good and that people will use any flimsy excuse (including the law) to justify their enjoyment of violence. The Hangman says that if an executioner derives any pleasure from killing, it no longer resembles justice and becomes mob justice. By the end of the film, Jackson and Goggins are laughing to themselves as they hang Leigh.

That's a fair point. It was sold to me as a murder mystery, so maybe that's why I was let down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

veni veni veni posted:

it's not sufficiently ashamed of its politics

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah the marketing definitely sold it that way, but that's par for the course with Tarantino movies. There's always something deep going on but they're always sold as gritty action flicks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Free Fire is on Prime now. From the director of goon favorite Kill List and High Rise. Stars Cillian Murphy, Sam Riley, Brie Larson. Very, very good movie, though far more "conventional" than his others.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like the really heightened debate about healthcare was in full swing in America when Elysium came out, and the whole "free infinite medicine for everyone" plot point in the movie came off initially as a childish "look how DUMB and EVIL those republicans are!!!" kind of statement. I don't think it actually functioned as such a direct and obvious statement, but my kneejerk reaction felt that way.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So you're saying Elysium has actually aged incredibly well, given recent developments?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Martman posted:

I feel like the really heightened debate about healthcare was in full swing in America when Elysium came out, and the whole "free infinite medicine for everyone" plot point in the movie came off initially as a childish "look how DUMB and EVIL those republicans are!!!" kind of statement. I don't think it actually functioned as such a direct and obvious statement, but my kneejerk reaction felt that way.

Who's got egg on their face now?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yo-Landi is the good parent.

I meant in real life, but, then again, most rappers strike me as kinda being tossers. And whether in the movie or not, Yo-Landi seems cooler if only because isn't not the frontman-and-also-hypeman talking poo poo all the time.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

K. Waste posted:

I meant in real life, but, then again, most rappers strike me as kinda being tossers. And whether in the movie or not, Yo-Landi seems cooler if only because isn't not the frontman-and-also-hypeman talking poo poo all the time.

I feel like Ninja being an obvious tosser is part of the charm.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

married but discreet posted:

I feel like Ninja being an obvious tosser is part of the charm.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying he should stop.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Free Fire is on Prime now. From the director of goon favorite Kill List and High Rise. Stars Cillian Murphy, Sam Riley, Brie Larson. Very, very good movie, though far more "conventional" than his others.

I despise Kill List with every last fibre of my being. I hated it and that bullshit ending so much that I ranted about it for months to anyone that would listen. Long story short I actually kind of respect the movie now because at least it made me feel something. I want to die.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

Elysium, as I'm sure everyone knows, came out during the big occupy Wallstreet/Down with the 1%. When it released I gave it a big eyeroll for being an over-the-top Matt Damon political movie, but honestly it may end up being one of the more prescient science fiction flicks.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I enjoyed Chappie, but the consciousness transfer stuff seemed quickly pulled out of thin air.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Lycus posted:

I enjoyed Chappie, but the consciousness transfer stuff seemed quickly pulled out of thin air.

Would you say it's a deus ex machina?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I was just browsing amazon instant video and saw that a bunch of old game shows from the late 70’s and early 80’s were added. Some highlights include Match Game, Family Fued, Card Sharks and Press Your Luck.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

So I was just browsing amazon instant video and saw that a bunch of old game shows from the late 70’s and early 80’s were added. Some highlights include Match Game, Family Fued, Card Sharks and Press Your Luck.

Oh man, I'm gonna have to watch some family feud. That show is some perfect background noise.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I watched a little bit of the match game and it's pretty gross.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I watched a dumb horror movie on Amazon Prime night called Crush The Skull. It started off poorly acted in a bad way, then leaned in to the comedy and ended up poorly acted in a good way. I recommend it.

The last scene ended brilliantly, too.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I watched the Amazon Original The Wall yesterday. I thought it was pretty good and it had to be cheap to make with only 2 actors, a voice actor and about 3 minutes of extras, also John Cena was only in like a third of the movie which was a let down for a pro graps fan such as myself. I liked the ending though, kind of like the ending to a horror movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Wall rules, definitely one of this year's most underrated gems

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally getting around to Generation Kill and this show is fuckin awesome. In absence of the Deuce, next up, Treme.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I don't really have an opinion on Die Antwoord, but I can respect Ninja's commitment to playing a real tosser for the sake of the brand.

It's definitely working.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Jack's Flow posted:

I don't really have an opinion on Die Antwoord, but I can respect Ninja's commitment to playing a real tosser for the sake of the brand.

It's definitely working.

So that's not a photo of Silas Weir Mitchell?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

O hell yeah

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Watched Southbound on Amazon Prime the other day and was a pretty decent find among all of the garbage horror movies streaming on various services.

Has anyone watched a series called Lore on Prime? Looks interesting.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

Watched Southbound on Amazon Prime the other day and was a pretty decent find among all of the garbage horror movies streaming on various services.

Previews looked interesting, but the first episode at least was a subpar 'these events have been dramatized' documentary.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's a mediocre show based on a bad podcast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Is that on desktop? This is what I'm getting on mobile:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rad Valtar posted:

Match Game PM (which is what the ones added are, I think) is incredible because everyone is blind drunk and not even hiding it. Any episode with both Charles Nelson Reilly and Richard Dawson is just pure pleasure, Dawson keeps trying to dunk on him for being gay and Reilly dunks back as only a truly catty queen can.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Steve Yun posted:

Is that on desktop?

Yeah, it's from the main page. Interesting that they took a different route with mobile.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Elysium isn't bad its just too long and Damon's character motivations are both too developed and still shallow. He should have been a revolutionary who goes a lil 'falling down' on the space people.

It wasn't about healthcare, it was about false scarcity

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I"ve seen that tracking-glitch title card before. Netflix chooses title cards based on what it thinks you'd like. So, if you like guns, the title card will have any gun scenes they have available shown. If you're more of an interpersonal battle-of-wits watcher, they'll show courtroom or office scenes. Physical action? A lot of punches and action shots.

My current one still has Spacey on it. Though I don't doubt they've removed or altered the occurrence of his face on a bunch of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Previews looked interesting, but the first episode at least was a subpar 'these events have been dramatized' documentary.

Franchescanado posted:

It's a mediocre show based on a bad podcast.

Ah...thanks. I think I'll skip it.