Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I see the Paywave symbol at checkouts more often than not, but I've never actually seen it used or been issued a card that supports it.

What's so great about it? I don't really see the point unless you are using your card hundreds of times every day so that wearing out the contacts is an actual possibility.

If you're using chip and pin your procedure is: get card out, insert card into machine, type in pin, wait for the network, get transaction approval, take card out, put card away, pick up shopping/coffee/whatever, leave

If you're using Paywave your procedure is: get card out, tap card on machine, put card away and pick up your shopping/coffee/whatever while the network cycles, get approval, leave.

I have nothing to prove this except for how much faster my Mastercard is than my work Visa, but I think the Mastercard system doesn't bother checking for approval after a really quick "is this card stolen y/n" check. It seems to be 4-5 seconds for the Visa vs. less than a second for the MC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

None of my credit cards have any pin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mu Zeta posted:

None of my credit cards have any pin

So do you just insert, wait for approval and take it out? That's not bad, I haven't seen those before.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I didn't realize they had that kind of range, but this is probably why they haven't caught on here. The average American would be getting five or so credit cards all scanned at once if they just held up their wallet.

I think the US is just kinda running a few years later than everyone else on this. I still get the occasional doofus from Michigan who doesn't understand chip+pin.

Meanwhile, I've got customers that pay for stuff just by waving their phone or their goddamn apple watch at the register.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I've used Apple and Android pay a number of times and each time the cashier asks to look at my card and ID and I'm like "What the gently caress is the point if I have to pull all my poo poo out of my wallet anyways?" And then they mumble something about purchases over $100 including alcohol and I just slide my card and tap in my PIN, mumble something about Mr Lahey and we all pretend these services are working as intended.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

Memento posted:

So do you just insert, wait for approval and take it out? That's not bad, I haven't seen those before.

I'm in the US and several years ago I got a card that had the chip and a pin. When they sent a new card, no more pin. The pin is only to blame the consumer for fraud since you "must have" given the pin to whoever used the card. There have been ways around the pin for a while though.

Learn more about some chip and pin scams here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0SOn8hjG8

BovineFury has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Nov 6, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The SIM shim is a work of art.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

BovineFury posted:

I'm in the US and several years ago I got a card that had the chip and a pin. When they sent a new card, no more pin. The pin is only to blame the consumer for fraud since you "must have" given the pin to whoever used the card. There have been ways around the pin for a while though.

Learn more about some chip and pin scams here.
Man in the middle attacks are pretty common unfortunately, hopefully the sanity check between the pin machine and the cards gets updated.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
You know what isn't vulnerable to man in the middle hacks? Cash :downsowned:. Speaking seriously, I don't trust things like paywave or apple pay much because I'm naturally paranoid about things like man in the middle attacks, even though I know that objectively that a chip card really isn't much more secure as the video link shows and if paywave has been compromised at a location, basically everything but cash is also probably compromised.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Rand Paul apparently just got the poo poo beat out of him by his neighbor.

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/05/senator-rand-paul-severely-bea.html

quote:

Senator Rand Paul, architect of some of the most extreme policies of the Republican Party, had five of his ribs fractured (three were "displacement fractures") and suffered lung bruising after being beaten at his Kentucky home; his next-door neighbor, Rene Boucher (59), an anesthesiologist/inventor who is thought to have worked at a nearby hospital with Rand Paul, was arrested and bailed for fourth-degree assault.

Though Paul's injuries were initially described as minor, his staff now says that it is not clear when he will be able to fly to DC again to resume his duties in the Senate.

The Washington Post reports that "there is no indication that the attack was political in nature."

In a season of extremely close votes, including one in which Mike Pence was called in to break a tie (in order to immunize fraudulent banks and other financial institutions from lawsuits by the people they’ve wronged), a single lost vote on the Republican side could make an enormous difference.

On the other hand, Paul’s intransigence and insistence that any new health care deal should be maximally cruel to poor people was responsible for the collapse of the GOP’s attempt to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and so perhaps in his absence, Senate Republicans will be able to reach consensus.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I bet it's less "injuries much more severe than previously thought" and more "Rand Paul realised he could take a taxpayer-funded vacation if he played up his ouchies".

I also bet Rand Paul is going to make use of public welfare in his recovery and not do the honest thing of paying the entirety of his medical expenses out of his own pocket like any red-blooded true captain of industry would be expected to do.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Weatherman posted:

I bet it's less "injuries much more severe than previously thought" and more "Rand Paul realised he could take a taxpayer-funded vacation if he played up his ouchies".

I also bet Rand Paul is going to make use of public welfare in his recovery and not do the honest thing of paying the entirety of his medical expenses out of his own pocket like any red-blooded true captain of industry would be expected to do.

No, he BROKE FIVE RIBS. Three displaced fractures. Lung contusions. He's hosed up good.

But the second bit is true.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Midnight Voyager posted:

No, he BROKE FIVE RIBS. Three displaced fractures. Lung contusions. He's hosed up good.

But the second bit is true.

That can't be right if the guy's only getting charged for 4th degree assault, can it? That's only a gross misdemeanor. Google tells me that broken bones alone classify it for second degree assault, let alone all the other crimes he'd be breaking by roughing up a senator.

e:

quote:

A criminal complaint says Paul "told police that his neighbor came onto his property and tackled him from behind, forcing him to the ground and causing pain." Boucher admitted tackling Paul, the criminal complaint says.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sen-rand-paul-assaulted-his-kentucky-home-suspect-arrested-n817591

I'm sure the guy's no spring chicken, but come on

Ziv Zulander has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Nov 6, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ziv Zulander posted:

Literal white male fragility.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

That can't be right if the guy's only getting charged for 4th degree assault, can it? That's only a gross misdemeanor. Google tells me that broken bones alone classify it for second degree assault, let alone all the other crimes he'd be breaking by roughing up a senator.

e:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sen-rand-paul-assaulted-his-kentucky-home-suspect-arrested-n817591

Boucher is both white and rich, I'm not sure why you'd think the same rules applied to him?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

YggiDee posted:

Meanwhile, I've got customers that pay for stuff just by waving their phone or their goddamn apple watch at the register.

I only ever pay for anything with a combination of a hand-written cheque, loose change, Nectar Points and coupons, and always make sure to include at least one piece of fruit that doesn't have a barcode on it so someone has to go and find another one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don Gato posted:

You know what isn't vulnerable to man in the middle hacks? Cash :downsowned:. Speaking seriously, I don't trust things like paywave or apple pay much because I'm naturally paranoid about things like man in the middle attacks, even though I know that objectively that a chip card really isn't much more secure as the video link shows and if paywave has been compromised at a location, basically everything but cash is also probably compromised.

I mean the whole point of Apple Pay is less the contactless thing and more the biometric authentication, but eh

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Stoatbringer posted:

I only ever pay for anything with a combination of a hand-written cheque, loose change, Nectar Points and coupons, and always make sure to include at least one piece of fruit that doesn't have a barcode on it so someone has to go and find another one.

I think I am usually behind you in the queue.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stoatbringer posted:

Do you live in South Florida?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pick posted:

How dare we feature an actor who once hit on a child! Please enjoy this wholesome show, Riverdale, instead, where Archie is loving his highschool teacher in a car.

He didn't "hit on" a child he lay him on his bed and crawled on top of him until the kid managed to wriggle free. There's also a lot more allegations coming out. You're right that Netflix is making a business decision not a moral one because no duh but your comparison was totally brain dead. Just a loving appalling post.

Besesoth posted:

So are you astonishingly poorly-informed or are you also a pedophile and trying to downplay the seriousness of literally groping many children over decades?

Don't call someone a paedophile even they make a really ignorant post. Jesus Christ.

I wasn't going to probate these originally but the more I read them the loving worse they are.

Everyone else move on with the thread

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Aramoro posted:

Boucher is both white and rich, I'm not sure why you'd think the same rules applied to him?

thiiis.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EmmyOk posted:

Don't call someone a paedophile even they make a really ignorant post. Jesus Christ.

You’re right, I shouldn’t have posted that. Sorry Pick, sorry Emmy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The best is how nearly 100% of businesses have chip readers installed, but 45% are actually working. So on top of the chip being a longer process for authorization, you also have to ask "chip?" And wait for the response. Or God help you, try the chip and be told to swipe or vice versa.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My Ventra card (to ride the CTA) has PayWave. The best part about that was there was a while when it was charging both my AMEX and Ventra card because the system wasn't set up correctly or something and I would just smack my wallet on the reader. They fixed it though, so now my AMEX continues to not work anywhere for "tap tp pay."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Besesoth posted:

Fair enough, although in Riverdale it's not portrayed in a positive light and IIRC as soon as it's found out (which is, like, episode 2 maybe?) Ms. Grundy is run out of town. (That said, I don't disagree that it's a pretty hosed-up image to use in the promo "poster".)

As someone who's never watched Riverdale but read hundreds of Archie comics as a kid (and so pictures all of the characters as their comic self), reading about what occurs on the show is incredible.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Wait, Ms. Grundy is now a hot twenty-something? Who slept with Archie? And was (apparently) murdered?

:wtc:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's Archie comics where they all get killed by Predator, or where the Blossom twins are in an incestuous relationship and one ends up murdering the other. The TV show sounds comparatively tame.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

There's Archie comics where they all get killed by Predator, or where the Blossom twins are in an incestuous relationship and one ends up murdering the other. The TV show sounds comparatively tame.

I always thought it was like The Family Circus, but with high school kids. Archie is hosed up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

I read Archive vs. The Predator and it's amazing. It's all drawn in the same style as the classic Archie comics, but full of gory death scenes and weird science.

From what I remember reading about the sudden shift in Archie, the brand was struggling after spending so long just recycling the same twee little "Golly gee whiz!" stories for decades. They came under new management that decided to experiment with an Archie horror comic (especially after seeing Archie vs. The Punisher turned into a meme over how ridiculous the cover was), and Afterlife With Archie was such a success that they decided to start making a fuckton of really dark Archie comics to reinvent themselves.

They recently rebooted Sabrina in the style of 1930s horror comics. Betty and Veronica appear as a pair of amateur witches who get wrapped up in the plot and Harvey loving dies in the first volume and is reanimated with Sabrina's crazy father's spirit inhabiting his body.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

chitoryu12 posted:

Afterlife With Archie was such a success

that they stopped publishing anything after Volume 10 and just said "Go read these other dark takes on Archie".

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always thought it was like The Family Circus, but with high school kids. Archie is hosed up.

New Archie and new Flintstones comics is the best thing ever.
Two of my classmates and I tried to explain to our teacher what the tv show was and why we watched it. Both things were extremely hard to explain. I think the only positive thing we said about it was that it had interesting lightning. I still watch it and I don't know why.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pick posted:

How dare we feature an actor who once hit on a child! Please enjoy this wholesome show, Riverdale, instead, where Archie is loving his highschool teacher in a car.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rofl I think Spacey did more than hit on kids

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Rofl I think Spacey did more than hit on kids

Just let it die, Goon sir.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Is this what the magical land of Australia is like.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yabbies have the coolest scientific name of them all, though

Cherax destructor

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

that they stopped publishing anything after Volume 10 and just said "Go read these other dark takes on Archie".

Yeah, I kinda gave up on the series when I realized I couldn't follow the plot anymore, and that it had been a least a year before anything had happened. I think at some point they got Josie and the Pussycats involved but the whole thing seemed like such a fill-in that I often wondered if it just got backdoor cancelled or not.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Drive thru pharmacies aren't there so you can get your conditioner and People magazine without getting out of the car, they're a convenience for sick people to get their medicine without having to get out of their car and walk around a store.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just have the drugs mailed to you like I do. Don't even have to leave the house.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Wait, Ms. Grundy is now a hot twenty-something? Who slept with Archie? And was (apparently) murdered?

:wtc:

Every character was super pissed off at her and they stayed true to the character of Archie by making him dumber than a bag of hammers.

So though Grundy was able to run away from the law and get away with pedophilia, the show and the kids acknowledged how not okay it was.

Riverdale is my favorite show to hate watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Every character was super pissed off at her and they stayed true to the character of Archie by making him dumber than a bag of hammers.

So though Grundy was able to run away from the law and get away with pedophilia, the show and the kids acknowledged how not okay it was.

Riverdale is my favorite show to hate watch.

Is it canon that she's Solomon Grundy's sister?