Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Should I [26M] skip church on Christmas because my girlfriend [27F] doesn't want to go?

quote:

My girlfriend and I used to spend Christmas with our own families, but starting last year we decided to do Christmas together. Last year we celebrated with her family (they live in the same city as us) and this year we are going to be with my family (3 hour plane ride away).

My family is pretty religious. I went to Catholic school, my dad goes to church every day, as a family we would go every Sunday, birthdays, Easter, and of course, Christmas. I haven't lived with my parents since I was 18 and without them around, I stopped going to church. I don't believe in God now, however, I respect my parents' religiousness. When I visit them I'll go to Sunday mass with them. Church on Christmas Eve has ALWAYS been part of our holiday traditions. We'll spend the day cooking, go to church, and then come home to eat dinner. Even though I don't believe in God, I still find going to church on occasion kind of relaxing and comforting.

My girlfriend and her family are not religious at all. In fact, I've heard her and her siblings make fun of Catholic people in the past. So, my girlfriend asked me if my family is going to go to Church for Christmas this year. I say yes, and my girlfriend replies with "Well, I'm not going to go". That's fine, I would never force her to go if she doesn't want to. But then this was the conversation that followed.

GF: Are you going to go?

Me: Yeah, probably.

GF: Why? You don't even believe in God.

Me: I think it's a nice tradition and I'd like to go with my family.

GF: Well, I don't think it's nice. You should be nice to your girlfriend and stay home with her.

I didn't say anything in response and the conversation just ended. I'm not really sure what to do now. If my gf doesn't want to go to Church, that's her choice to stay at the house instead. I get that she doesn't want to be alone, but it's only going to be for like an hour and a half. I want to go though, especially since I took part in her Christmas traditions last year without my family. And it's not like she is super against going to church. She went to mass for her grandpa's funeral, and for her friend's baby's baptism. Am I being selfish for wanting to go to Church without her on Christmas Eve?

tl;dr: My family is going to go to church on Christmas and my non-religious girlfriend doesn't want to go. She wants me to stay at home with her, even though I'd like to join my family at church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The cheering on of bullying on a forum for nerds is confusing to me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

zakharov posted:

I think there is a fair chunk of us that are not nerds.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Too early to ask a woman (my teacher) out? (self.dating)

quote:

I developed a bit of a crush on a language teacher. I was taking a beginners course and am now on the second course and she is not the instructor for this new course. During the first course I talked with her briefly about 3 or 4 times mostly questions to do with the course but I tried to ask her how her weekend was etc.

Since I've started the second course I run into her before class sometimes and had a short conversation and she seemed quite smiley and asked me an unprompted question or two which made me think she may be interested in me.

Should I just continue trying to talk to her when the opportunity arises or should I ask her out as well at the next chance I get?

I'm not in school btw. I'm 28, I think she is a couple of years younger than me.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Hahahahahahahaajshahajsjajahahahh

I told then not to hoard stray cats lol.

Jesus Christ, SA. Imagine the human impact of a renter with neighbors hoarding cats outdoors. You can't fix everything.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

maskenfreiheit posted:

I think just wait til before sex then be like hey I don't have cancer but I am bald... I don't think it should be a huge deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOe5n8M0ldw&t=4s

It could be the opposite tbh...get different wigs and have some fun with it.

zakharov posted:

Who's unironically cheering on bullying though?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

It’s called evolution

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Three Olives posted:

I think there is a fair chunk of us that are not nerds.

*that delude yourselves into thinking you're not nerds.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fruit on the bottom posted:

Should I [26M] skip church on Christmas because my girlfriend [27F] doesn't want to go?

"I can spend 4 hours doing something that makes my parents happy or I can sit home with you while you pout about it".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

maskenfreiheit posted:

Too early to ask a woman (my teacher) out? (self.dating)

quote:

asked me an unprompted question or two which made me think she may be interested in me.

:ughh:

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

zakharov posted:

note that the people in question are 3O and a dude with a wrestling av so take their shitposting with a grain of salt

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

gifts above 14k per year are taxable as income

No. No they aren't.

Gifts over $14k per year to an individual need to be reported by the gift giver against their lifetime estate exemption of $5.49M. Never, ever, ever by the receiver.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Men are so convinced of their own social worthlessness that anytime someone displays even a modicum of humanity towards them they think it's about loving.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
How do I (26F) ask FIL to stop kissing me on the lips?Non-Romantic

quote:

The in-laws are in town and they are nice people. However, my FIL kisses me on the lips every time he sees me. I hate this. I will not even share a drink with anyone but my husband because I do not like germs. One time I tried to just move my face to the side so he could kiss my cheek and he made a comment about how that is not how you kiss.

He has a mustache and smokes cigarettes, which makes it even more unbearable. I am a very non- confrontational person by nature so this is stressing me out. My mother and sister are coming to town next weekend and are now scared that they will be kissed on the lips. I need to sort this out before then!!

It would be more awkward if I had my husband say something to him. I know that I need to set boundaries on my own. Can someone help me with how to go about doing this? What do I say? Advice greatly appreciated.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

:chloe:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm not religious either, but I like to go to Christmas service with my family when I'm home. Maybe it's different for Catholics, but its usually just the story of Jesus' birth and 4 of the religious carols, one of which everyone gets a candle for and they turn off the other lights.

She can't be alone for 1-2 hours? Honestly, she should really go with. It's not like she'll be kicked out of atheist heaven for experiencing something new.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Admiral Ray posted:

Men are so convinced of their own social worthlessness that anytime someone displays even a modicum of humanity towards them they think it's about loving.

Everything is about sex. Except for sex.

Sex is about Pokémon cards.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

quote:

GF: Well, I don't think it's nice. You should be nice to your girlfriend and stay home with her.

Dump this woman, this poo poo is just the beginning. She may not have been raised Catholic but she sure seems to understand the guilt part.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Ugh, gross. Set boundaries with this man.

No, go because you want to go. Your GF is being a baby about this.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Hahahahahahahaajshahajsjajahahahh

I told then not to hoard stray cats lol.

Jesus Christ, SA. Imagine the human impact of a renter with neighbors hoarding cats outdoors. You can't fix everything.

nice cat meltdown

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Motronic posted:

Gifts aren't taxable income.

Dang, I didn't think of them as gifts but that's the obvious thing.

Hopefully she has a 401k through him.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

My (28M) sister (26F) found me, and wants me to be part of the family again. But I can't forgive them, any of them.

quote:

I'll try to make this brief. My parents have three kids, Adam (31M), me and Cathy. Adam has always been the Golden Child, smart, good at sports, popular with girls. Me...not so much. Adam was never mean or abusive to me or anything (except the usual brother stuff), but we always ran in separate crowds so we were never that close.

Sophomore year of college I met Diane; she was pretty, funny, sexy, kind...basically perfect. Somehow, she liked me too, and we started to date. I took her home for Christmas and my family instantly fell in love with her, even Cathy, who was kind of a brat growing up. Diane and I talked about marriage, kids, everything. Like I said, perfect. I asked her to marry me senior year and she said yes.

OK. This is tough. I'd noticed she'd been a little distant from time to time, texting her family on her phone, just kind of acting strange. But she wanted to get married, right? Wrong! Two days later, she left a message crying on my phone saying she couldn't do it, that she was sorry, and that "we never meant to hurt you". We? Yeah. I called Cathy and she broke down and admitted that Diane and Adam had been sleeping together for the last five months. gently caress! And she knew about it, the whole family did. But they wouldn't tell me, cause they didn't want to hurt me/hoped it would end before I found out. Jesus.

So I dropped out of college the very next day, moved out of the dorms, moved to another city. My family would call me from time to time, asking me to come back, saying I should be happy for Adam and Diane; my Dad even said I had to "grow up and face reality". gently caress you, I said, before I went moved again to a much larger city and went total no contact with these people. That was seven years ago; I have a good job and some friends, and that's all I want. (Not interested in another gf, thank you very much!)

I don't miss them. Adam and Diane got married, they have kids now, I don't care. gently caress them. gently caress Adam, mostly. The SOB had everything, all the women he wanted...and he had to take my woman. Christ almighty. I'm fcking furious just typing this. Go to hell.

A few weeks ago, a message on my home answering mach from Cathy; she wants to know how I am, and tells me that mom "isn't doing well" and wants to see me. poo poo. Cathy was really the only one who stood up for me...temporarily, as my dad threatened to not pay for her college if she didn't shut up. Great. I might want to talk to my baby sister but I'm afraid she'll tell the family where I am, and gently caress that.

I don't know. I don't care if I'm a bad son/brother/whatever. I don't want to talk to these people again and I sure as hell don't want to forgive them. Should I?

TLDR: Brother stole my fiancée seven years ago, haven't talked to my family since. Sister trying to contact me. I don't wanna.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Admiral Ray posted:

Dump this woman, this poo poo is just the beginning. She may not have been raised Catholic but she sure seems to understand the guilt part.
We really need to hear how it was said I think. I could totally hear my wife saying that in a joking voice but fully expecting me (and being cool with me) going.

If it was passive aggressive bitchiness then yeah he needs to put his foot down.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

zakharov posted:

So many of these are exercises in OP systematically stripping away any sympathy you have for them by being completely spineless, illiterate, or just plain insufferable, to the point where you're glad they got bullied or their dog died or whatever. This lady didn't seem unreasonable, though :shrug:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Whorelord posted:

My (28M) sister (26F) found me, and wants me to be part of the family again. But I can't forgive them, any of them.

Who the gently caress under 30 has a landline?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Whorelord posted:

Don't do it. That voice inside you telling you to give them a chance is wrong and stupid. If they did this once they would do it again.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

On the other hand you should reworm your way back into their lives to tell your nephews/nieces that their parents are huge pieces of poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo. Brother hosed your fiance, then married and had kids were with her. And the whole family knew about that poo poo?

Yeah I'd burn that bridge and never look back too.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Beachcomber posted:

i did for a while because of some wholly boring internet bullshit

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Admiral Ray posted:

On the other hand you should reworm your way back into their lives to tell your nephews/nieces that their parents are huge pieces of poo poo.

The pro-move here is to show up at their house uninvited on thanksgiving piss drunk and tell them what you really think of them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo. Brother hosed your fiance, then married and had kids were with her. And the whole family knew about that poo poo?

Yeah I'd burn that bridge and never look back too.

Because his brother is just such an amazing guy that mere contact with him ruined their relationship, she was just unable to resist his magical penis and he had the responsibility to keep her away from it?

He should consider himself lucky that she left him before they got married, she would have found someone else in short order, better now than when there is a real investment. If anything he should thank his brother for saving him from the doomed marriage.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Whorelord posted:

There's so much weird poo poo in this story

- Personal pet peeve "somehow, she liked me too" is such a common line for dudes and it's so loving pathetic.
- Who lives in a dorm their senior year?
- He seems to carry a lot of (deserved) bitterness for his brother without putting much/any blame on Diane...but that could be because the OP is focused on his family trying to contact him.
- He might need to get some therapy re his opinions on having a gf ever again
- Who has a home phone anymore?!

What happened to him is super hosed up and I don't blame him for not wanting to talk to those people ever again though. If his sister already knows where he is and wanted to tell the rest of his family he couldn't stop her now, so if he wants to talk to her he could do that and maybe lay some ground rules around what she can/can't pass along to the rest of the family.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Father of my child has threatened to restart her vaccinations from the beginning when he is already aware that she is current on all of her health needs. How can I prevent this from happening?

quote:

North Carolina. I'm in a high conflict custody battle with the father of my toddler. I tried to inform him that she had a doctor's appointment recently and he became angry with me. Since then he has put her on his insurance and refuses to share the details with me, said he has found her a new doctor in his county 3 hours away, and told me he will be starting her vaccination schedule over from the very beginning and there is nothing I can do to stop him. I'm am the primary custodial parent and he only has supervised visitation for 48 hours at a time every two weeks. She has insurance and a doctor here where I live and she is up to date on her health assessment and vaccinations as of two weeks ago. She is due for a flu booster in two weeks. How can I prevent him from doubling down on her vaccinations just to spite me?

I've heard of people refusing to get their kids vaccinated, but forcing their kids to get vaccinated again out of spite is a new one :shepface:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

freckle posted:

*that delude yourselves into thinking you're not nerds.

Excuse me, but here is a form signed by a notary verifying that I gently caress.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Barudak posted:

Excuse me, but here is a form signed by a notary verifying thay I gently caress.

Nerds gently caress too that's where new ones come from.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Danaru posted:

Father of my child has threatened to restart her vaccinations from the beginning when he is already aware that she is current on all of her health needs. How can I prevent this from happening?

I've heard of people refusing to get their kids vaccinated, but forcing their kids to get vaccinated again out of spite is a new one :shepface:

i loved getting vaccinated as a kid cause it meant i'd get a pretzel rod

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ouhei posted:

There's so much weird poo poo in this story

- Personal pet peeve "somehow, she liked me too" is such a common line for dudes and it's so loving pathetic.
- Who lives in a dorm their senior year?
- He seems to carry a lot of (deserved) bitterness for his brother without putting much/any blame on Diane...but that could be because the OP is focused on his family trying to contact him.
- He might need to get some therapy re his opinions on having a gf ever again
- Who has a home phone anymore?!

What happened to him is super hosed up and I don't blame him for not wanting to talk to those people ever again though. If his sister already knows where he is and wanted to tell the rest of his family he couldn't stop her now, so if he wants to talk to her he could do that and maybe lay some ground rules around what she can/can't pass along to the rest of the family.

I lived in a dorm my senior year. room and board was part of my scholarship/loan

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Whorelord posted:

Accept so you can find them and then loving :murder: each one in front of the others. Jesus loving Christ what a reprehensible pile of poo poo-people.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Beachcomber posted:

The family I know with a landline lives in a house worth around $lots of millions and uses it so that the live-in nanny, the maid, the kids, the mother, the father, or anyone who's home can answer calls from tutors, repairmen, and things along those lines. Essentially, anything a cell phone would be wildly inappropriate for when the person owning the cell phone is likely to be not home but others are home. It's also used for certain other services, because they don't like being bothered during the workday or at other times. The kids also don't have cellphones.

Seems like a pretty legitimate use. Me? I haven't had a landline for almost 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Whorelord posted:

This is so hosed. I have no idea how I'd react in that situation. I probably would take it a lot worse than OP did.