Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Everything involved with the core of the United $nakes of Amerikkka should be corrupt and evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Plutonis posted:

Everything involved with the core of the United $nakes of Amerikkka should be corrupt and evil

"Good" news about the real world!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Good" news about the real world!

I got this fixed Idea on my head and I think Covok should use this instead. Thesis and Antithesis of the Three Pillars of the US, the Gods and Antigods.

Plunder - Frick :: Mother Jones

Conquest - Jackson :: Crazy Horse

Submission - Davis :: Douglass

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I'm glad that Fox now has stopped giving a poo poo since Disney won't let them make money out of X-Men merchandise and licensing and thus decided to make the new X-Men movie a loving horror movie

Gah!!! https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh hey, another finger on my monkey's paw has curled shut.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The talks seem to have already died, according to Bloomberg.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FMguru posted:

They've really driven themselves into a ditch and I don't see any easy way out of it. I'd suggest a burn-it-all-to-the-ground line wide reboot of the universe, but they just did that with the horrifically botched Secret Wars event, and see above about people treating giant events with extreme skepticism.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Trying to "solve continuity" is poisonous notion more often than not, in my experience, or a placebo on the greater issues with the industry at best. It just ignores the fact that the comics industry is made up of fans who like bringing back popular ideas whether or not they're "in continuity", so any attempt to wipe the slate clean just gets the same material dragged back in again and again. Continuity is a scapegoat but is almost never the actual problem, IMO.

Zoro posted:

It worked really well for Star Wars though.
Yeah, reboots don't fix continuity because no one ever does a full reboot. They keep what is popular and "reboot" what is unpopular and thus unprofitable. So you immediately run into issues where, like, Damian Wayne's existence makes no sense without some preceding event which has been retconned :flashfact::psyduck:

Star Wars is no exception--they junked the EU and are now selectively reintroducing stuff that, with many years of hindsight, is considered the good stuff. Namely Thrawn.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Was Secret Empire a huge blunder? Sure was. So was Countdown. Or Arena. Or U Decide. Or Armageddon. Or Atlantis Attacks. Or Secret Wars II. And you can go back before event books, they didn't have pithy names to call out by, but there's a long history of cringe-worthy comics.
Atlantis Attacks may or may not have been bad, but it was not an all-consuming event that formed the basis of the company's business model for a year.

Ratoslov posted:

Why would I want to play a Vocaloid TRPG where I can't play a Vocaloid?
This is why the Metabarons game failed

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 6, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Thrawn was never really good, he simply had the benefit of being not as bad compared to a lot of other EU stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh hell, I never actually read that lowbrow crap. I had Shadowrun novels to enjoy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I"d take a Thrawn/Kyle Katarn series movie adaptation or over the Disney movies

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Plutonis posted:

I"d take a Thrawn/Kyle Katarn series movie adaptation or over the Disney movies

Bad-Opinion.Txt

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh hell, I never actually read that lowbrow crap. I had Shadowrun novels to enjoy.

A Shadowrun novel has the dubious distinction of being one of the worst things I've ever read in my life. My mother bought it for me because she knew I liked RPGs. It had something to do with cybernetic vampires, I think, and it was so atrocious that I never actually finished it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To be fair, I've only heard of that one because it gets singled out as one of the very worst.

A 40 on the curb for Nigel D. Findley.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Thrawn is a perfectly adequate Star Wars villain, as long as you only consider the original trilogy he was in and ignore all the fake clone bullshit and whatever else came after that. (It was fun to see him in the TIE Fighter video game, though.)

His right hand Captain Pellaeon had a legitimately okay character arc beyond the trilogy. Shame it was in all those Star Wars books.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

Atlantis Attacks may or may not have been bad, but it was not an all-consuming event that formed the basis of the company's business model for a year.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there, but okay. If you're saying "old comics didn't do that", I'll just hold up Secret Wars II and make it do a little dance.

Yes, there was a time companies never did that, but you'd have to dial things further than three decades back to find that time. It's all dictated by sales, and maybe if nobody bought Secret Empire, it wouldn't happen again, but people did. Sure it "sold badly", but it sold badly for an event book, which is still gangbusters compared to most comics. I remember Tom Breevort pointing out that every time people got really angry over a story twist the book sold well, and that he didn't understand why that was, they learned to stop worrying too much about blowback.

A controversial book isn't going to kill comic events, sadly - the only thing that can kill them is people not caring at all. And maybe that'll happen someday, but it seems less and less likely right now given how much of media is trying to find ways to replicate comics' secret sauce.

Kai Tave posted:

Thrawn was never really good, he simply had the benefit of being not as bad compared to a lot of other EU stuff.

Truth.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, they just get generally marketed more towards a bookstore audience than the core comic readership, where things are more likely to vanish amongst the far larger market.
Well, besides manga the other thing that outsells superhero comics on the mainstream bestseller lists are the graphic novels aimed at a more mainstream audience that catch on. In terms of sheer numbers, Scholastic is probably one of the biggest U.S. comic publishers, and they're getting stuff to lots of kids by way of book fairs and such.

They're now saying that a really successful superhero comic issue will only sell around 50,000 copies total, but then we've still got the issue that we have no idea what the digital sales are actually like, which is the one area where superhero comics seem to be growing rather than retreating into being an IP farm for blockbusters.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ewen Cluney posted:

They're now saying that a really successful superhero comic issue will only sell around 50,000 copies total, but then we've still got the issue that we have no idea what the digital sales are actually like, which is the one area where superhero comics seem to be growing rather than retreating into being an IP farm for blockbusters.

Those sorts of figures are for individual issues, and usually sourced through Diamond, whose sales figures are easily manipulated through double shipping shenanigans or even unintentional factors like loot crates, too. The overall readership of American comics is definitely shrinking, but it's hard to say how much of that is readers lapsing from comics entirely vs shifting towards Comixology, buying trades off Amazon, or even subscribing to Marvel Unlimited for their cape comic fix.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
One thing definitely mumbling things is how little the companies themselves might care. I ran the numbers, but, at Marvel's current price for a comic, assuming they sell 1,000,000 comics total a month, their yearly revenue off comics is 10.4% of what they have made currently in profit off Thor: Ragnarok. To match that profit, they'd need to sell at least 10,000,000 comics a month. And that's after only 1 weekend in theaters, though I am using domestic and foreign revenue.

When one movie supersedes your profits from comics so heavily, it does make you wonder if you're in the wrong business. And, frankly, I certainly feel this in the comics themselves. They basically said "gently caress the X-Men" for years and tried to push Inhumans as the new X-Men until the Inhuman tv series (originally a movie) flopped so bad they finally stopped bothering and tried (and failed) to just buy the movie rights for the X-Men back instead.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you do know comic book movies aren't the only thing fox does, right

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What does Fox have to do with non X-Men marvel movies?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Brother Entropy posted:

you do know comic book movies aren't the only thing fox does, right

I still feel like the talks started out with just buying FF4 and the X-Men and spiraled from there.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kwyndig posted:

What does Fox have to do with non X-Men marvel movies?

Fox owns the right to make X-Men movies. Some people think because of this Marvel was intentionally trying to sink the X-Men comics. This is despite the fact that they were publishing like 20 X-Men or related characters books monthly.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

neaden posted:

Fox owns the right to make X-Men movies. Some people think because of this Marvel was intentionally trying to sink the X-Men comics. This is despite the fact that they were publishing like 20 X-Men or related characters books monthly.

Dude, they didn't do that till RessurXection. They were too busy pushing the Inhumans. Until they realized that was a failed strategy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

marvel's also been all over the loving place on which video games can/can't have the x-men or the f4 at any given time

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

neaden posted:

I wouldn't say trying to sink exactly, but they've been a lot more enthused about other areas of the Marvel Universe for a long time. Like even after the speculation crash the X-Men were still tops in sales and such but they kept trying to push out Avengers and related stuff and insisted it was good, it was great! They actually published a few books that were kinda good even, and also stuff like Civil War that was not good, and also sidelined the X-Men almost completely. I don't know if that had anything to do with the movies or not, I mean Bendis's obsession with Luke Cage and Hank Pym seems to come from a sincere place, but the push for the Inhumans definitely seems related to focusing on stuff they have rights to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The scuttlebutt is that the Inhumans push to try and replace the X-Men role-wise was mainly the brainchild of Isaac Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel. It feels like it's likely to falter now that it's been fumbling on the TV side of things as well as failing on the publishing side of things. The head of Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige, only really seemed to tolerate it for internal political reasons and once Perlmutter was pushed out of having influence over Marvel Studios, it died as a movie proposal and likely isn't going to make it very far on TV without a Christmas miracle.

The Inhumans will likely continue to get shoved on comic audiences for awhile but I don't think many people even at Marvel are under the delusion that the experiment has been a success outside of Ms. Marvel, nor do I think it ever had much in the way of true believers. The whole thing felt transparently forced from the start.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

neaden posted:

This isn't an answer to my question.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Blasphemeral posted:

Yeah, because that's not exciting on the page. This is referred to by the shorthand "Reed Richards is Useless".

This is one of the many things that Worm got right. There were loads of examples of capes using their powers for relief efforts or civic improvement. But then, Wildbow is a single author with complete control over his universe and doesn't have to stick to any status quo to either A) sell books or B) collaborate in a shared universe with other creators.

Honestly, as far as Reed goes, I think the better take is that he's actually a villain. The comics have been leaning that way for years, between him causing Civil War and World War Hulk out of his own arrogance, and his primary adversary being Doom. Who runs a literal utopia, and is genreally content to stay home until Reed antagonizes him.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, as far as Reed goes, I think the better take is that he's actually a villain. The comics have been leaning that way for years, between him causing Civil War and World War Hulk out of his own arrogance, and his primary adversary being Doom. Who runs a literal utopia, and is genreally content to stay home until Reed antagonizes him.

Too late, they already have an alternate timeline mainstay evil Red Richards, Maker. So, doing it to 616 Reed as well would be redundant.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zoro posted:

Too late, they already have an alternate timeline mainstay evil Red Richards, Maker. So, doing it to 616 Reed as well would be redundant.

Which is a shame, because there's a good story there about how a 50's superscientist who has never, ever considered that society has changed discovers he's become the bad guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there, but okay. If you're saying "old comics didn't do that", I'll just hold up Secret Wars II and make it do a little dance.

Yes, there was a time companies never did that, but you'd have to dial things further than three decades back to find that time. It's all dictated by sales, and maybe if nobody bought Secret Empire, it wouldn't happen again, but people did. Sure it "sold badly", but it sold badly for an event book, which is still gangbusters compared to most comics. I remember Tom Breevort pointing out that every time people got really angry over a story twist the book sold well, and that he didn't understand why that was, they learned to stop worrying too much about blowback.
I believe that in the 80s and 90s, it was easier to be a fan of one or two series/characters without feeling like you were missing half the plot. When a crossover came around, at worst, your favourite character was going to spend an issue fighting Atlanteans or Kree or whatever for no good reason.

For comparison, Secret Wars II had about 50 tie-in issues including a Secret Wars II miniseries. Civil War had more than three times that, including fourteen eponymous titles, and touched on nearly every corner of the Marvel Universe that wasn't literally in another part of the galaxy. Even the Blade ongoing had an issue devoted to Civil War, and that was getting off light.

Atlantis Attacks ran in summer annuals. If you were an X-book reader, you'd hardly notice Acts of Vengeance was happening. The same can't be said for storylines like World War Hulk and Secret Invasion.

quote:

It's all dictated by sales, and maybe if nobody bought Secret Empire, it wouldn't happen again, but people did. Sure it "sold badly", but it sold badly for an event book, which is still gangbusters compared to most comics. I remember Tom Breevort pointing out that every time people got really angry over a story twist the book sold well, and that he didn't understand why that was, they learned to stop worrying too much about blowback.

A controversial book isn't going to kill comic events, sadly - the only thing that can kill them is people not caring at all. And maybe that'll happen someday, but it seems less and less likely right now given how much of media is trying to find ways to replicate comics' secret sauce.
I didn't say anything about how well event books sell. I don't care.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Ratoslov posted:

Why would I want to play a Vocaloid TRPG where I can't play a Vocaloid?

They’re supposed to have no personality and no continuity. So I don’t think playing one would be much fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"I want to use my protection ability"

"Alright, sing World Is Mine."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't say anything about how well event books sell. I don't care.

Well, also bear in mind that Marvel published a lot less books in the 80s, too, but it is true that events have become more invasive and sprawling.

I think part of what lets me enjoy comics long-term is just a practiced cynicism and I think that's all I'm really trying to pass on. I generally tend to tune out events that I'm not interested in; I don't think raging against them does much more than promote them. People would ask me what I thought of Secret Empire and my answer would be a legitimate, puzzled "I don't care?" Just because Marvel or DC sat a comic matters doesn't make it actually matter, and I think its a good survival instinct to avoid burning out by reading comics I don't enjoy. I might read it down the road, but right now I'm more than busy enough catching up with Hickman's work on Fantastic Four.

It's much the same response I give regarding D&D 5e, come to think of it. It may be popular, but it's too exhausting to care.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Waffleman_ posted:

"I want to use my protection ability"

"Alright, sing World Is Mine."

Rocks fall. Sing the P-names or everyone dies :D

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Black Rock Shooter class is kinda OP.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I keep up with comics by reading the plot summaries on Wikipedia every few years.

It's the best way because you're reading something about hydra and then you get things like " was defeated by Jubilee (recently turned into a vampire by Dracula)" with no context.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 7, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Splicer posted:

I keep up with comics by reading the plot summaries on Wikipedia every few years.

It's the best way because you're reading something about hydra and then you get things like " was defeated by Jubilee (recently turned into a vampire by Dracula)" with no context.

Jubilee has been a vampire since the 90s. Everyone if it doesn't read X-Men just find it weird. Vampires used to be very big in Marvel. Technically Falcons pet is a vampire. But Marvel just kind of forgot vampires exist recently so everyone forgets that they care about them.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having vocaloids as NPC-only support characters in an RPG would work if the PCs are a squadron of destroid or valkyire pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zoro posted:

Jubilee has been a vampire since the 90s. Everyone if it doesn't read X-Men just find it weird. Vampires used to be very big in Marvel. Technically Falcons pet is a vampire. But Marvel just kind of forgot vampires exist recently so everyone forgets that they care about them.
Noo? It was 2010ish.

• Locked thread