Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CX: Shut Up

That was a bummer of a time for 9S. There are more sidequest we could go do right now but ehh... we’re in the neighborhood and I doubt 9S would be too into doing menial tasks for subpar pay around now. So let’s head into the nearby Forest Zone and...

Music: Forest Kingdom (Quiet)

Boy, who added the Nintendo 64 levels of fog in here? Is 9S gonna pick up a Cerebral Bore around here somewhere? I’d be OK with that...

Affirmative. Said unit appears to be delivering something to the giant facility. Hypothesis: This facility may be designed to transport some kind of resource.
What’s the resource it’s transporting?
Unknown.
For what purpose?
Unknown.

Well, I guess that just means 9S will have to investigate. The locals, however, have some other ideas...

My k-k-kiiing... <bzzt> My king... <interference>
Reeveng-ge... <bzzt> Revenge...

The Forest Kingdom survivors seem to be somewhat pissed about the androids assassinating their kings. They’ve also shifted from patrolling units to setting up guerilla ambushes jumping out of bushes and trees. Other than being less armored than usual, there’s little difference to ‘em.

Huh? Fog?
Analysis: The fog is actually steam emitted by a large enemy structural unit.
Steam? For what purpose?
Unknown.

Pod, your analysis algorithms of late need some work. As we run deeper into the forest towards the Resource Unit, 9S hits another ambush by the Forest Kingdom guerillas.

I’ll... <bzzt> I’ll kill you!
“I’ll kill you?” ...Heh. That’s my line.

9S, I know you’re down a ruinous path of revenge and hatred for all machines. But don’t try cool guy one liners. You still look like someone who has recently been shoved into a locker. Even if you fully backed that up and murdered everyone in about 20 seconds.

The Resource Unit is found in the central part of the Forest Zone in the ravine dividing the area. As we approach it, the entire tower lights up and several huge slots open up on its sides. Nothing is ever easy...

Great... Now how are we going to get into this dumb thing. 9S, you didn’t crash that last flight unit you had, did you? Is that just parked somewhere? Maybe you could go ge—

...Oh. There’s an easily accessed entrance with an unlocked elevator leading into the tower right by the bridge. Some defense system.

I can’t read it.
Analysis: Writing is an ancient language known as Angelic. It reads “meat box.”
Oooo-kay then.

Music: ENDS

Well, I guess we now have our chapter title’s context. Nothing left to do but jump into the elevator and head into the Meat Box.

Turns out the interior is... just kinda The Citadel from the end of Half-Life 2 with some nice texture mods and shaders. I’m OK with that. Meat Box reminds me of the Meat Circus from the end of Psychonauts and that is a lovely area you do not to be reminded of in any context.

Analysis: Many useless parts unrelated to machine lifeform functionality detected. The reason for using said parts is unknown.
There’s no meaning to anything they do.

Oh I dunno, 9S. It clearly looks like the machines constructed this room for a fight arena. I think think I saw Heihachi Mishima parry a missile into some poor random redshirt soldier here in Tekken 7. And look... here come the jobbers right now!

Music: Alien Manifestation (Instrumental)

Y-Y-Your... Majesty...
R-Revenge... reveeeeenge...

Revenge? 9S is all about that lately! You guys will be fast friends. Or finished fast. I forget how that works...

So the Meat Box Resource Unit is just a grinder of arena fights. The first floor is against a pair of Medium-Biped Forest Kingdom spearmen, followed up by a half dozen Stubbies and finally two Small Biped axe men and a mounted unit. Not a big deal at all.

As soon as 9S has trashed all challengers on the floor, an elevator arrives on the opposite side of the room and whisks us off to the next level.

Floor #2 is home to a very brisk fight against a single Medium Biped axeman of the Forest Kingdom followed by two generic Sphere Type machines, also going with the Astaroth weapon of choice.

Can’t stop now. On to the third floor. Here we find...

...A power outage. That’s probably less than ideal when in a floating tower only accessible by elevators. Also...

Pain pain paaaaaaaaaain...
I do not... want to die...

Music: Alien Manifestation (Vocal)

Machines can’t feel pain.

I should hope not. Especially when a rush of Suicide Machines rush in and immediate get blown to bits. That’d be real messed up to give those machines pain receptors. Though... it might explain the screaming. Best not to think about it. Moving right along!

There’s nothing in this next floor. There’s a couple of entirely unremarkable common weapon upgrade materials. Huh. 9S got seeded in the Meat Box tournament! Onto the next level!

Welcome to the penultimate round. You see those three circles? They all begin spinning in opposite directions. The central and outer perimeter begin rotating counter-clockwise while the white center circle goes clockwise. Also our new contenders enter.

Don’t kill! Don’t kill!
This cannot continue.
Revenge! Revenge!
He deserves... protection.
You will be reborn... Majesty.

This cannot continue.
Oww! So much pain!
Stooop! Stop!
No kill! No kill!
Dooon’t want to dieeee!

Now shut up... shut up, SHUT UP!

SHUT UUUUPPPP!

They do eventually shut up. After 9S has murdered them all. Welp. Only one floor remains.

Music: ENDS

Machine parts...
Speculation: Perhaps these are raw materials from the structure itself. Possibly useful for creating weapons.
Weapons, eh?

The last of the Forest Kingdom’s defenders show up to defend the Meat Box Core found on the top floor here. It goes poorly for them... After 9S is finished taking out the last of the Resource Unit’s defense system, the core itself begins speaking.

Help... Please... Help... me...

Help... me... Help me. Help me. Help me.

Prepare energy.
Help me.
Close-range firing mode.
Help me.
Maximum output.
Help me.
9S...
Fire.
Help m—

And that’s that taken care of... Pods are very powerful, if you haven’t been reminded in a while. Especially during cutscenes.

For wrecking the Resource Unit’s core, we receive the first a three keycards to unlock The Tower itself.

Also, the game silently adds this Archive to our records right after we destroy that core. Yoko Taro child murder brand still going strong.

Now that we’ve murdered a baby sorted out this issue, all we have to do is take the elevator back down and dep—

Kiiiiiiii... ll... What did... we ever do... Kill... me... Kill...

Kill... me! Do it!

Kill... me! Do it!

Kill me, coward! Kill me!

Kill me! Kill me! Kill me!

Kill m—
AAAAAH!

And that concludes Chapter 13: Meat Box. Tune in next as we check back in on A2 and enter probably the most overall upbeat chapter of Route C. For a tiny while... Eventually... It’s titled “Despair.” NieR: Automata continues...

Video: Episode 110 Highlight Reel
(You should probably watch this. If just for 9S losing his poo poo towards the end.)

Forest Recovery Unit Concept Art – Disappointing lack of meat inside. Area is still lousy with boars. I wanted some bacon!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If we had done this first then this chapter would have been quite messed up. Instead after the last update 9S slowly losing it seems so gentle compared to the repeated gut punches he just went through.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think 9S is coping with the situation pretty well!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Guys I dunno if 9S is okay :smith:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Don't worry, dudes. A little bit of the ol' murder therapy and he'll be right as rain, just you see.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Danaru posted:

Guys I dunno if 9S is okay :smith:

Hes killing machines, hes fine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Know Such Peace posted:

Where should I post my LP of DarkID’s LP of Drakengard 3?

stream it so I can stream your stream

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Iretep posted:

Hes killing machines, hes fine.

I'm sure Pod 153 was going to compliment him on his killing spree before he interrupted it/her.

Also: it's possible for the game to bug out (at least on PC) and not let you interact with that last surviving machine. It happened to me and I just left the room without seeing that short scene.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Ratoslov posted:

Don't worry, dudes. A little bit of the ol' murder therapy and he'll be right as rain, just you see.

Um...he's already doing that and it doesn't seem to be helping. At all.

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dr. Snark posted:

Um...he's already doing that and it doesn't seem to be helping. At all.

It's part of the process! :eng101: Just look at A2, our most successful alumni of the program! Things looked pretty dark for her, but now she's a fully-functioning member of android society!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Best part is, it doesn't get much simpler than a one step program.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Really Pants posted:

stream it so I can stream your stream
The greatest of feasts!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Best part is, it doesn't get much simpler than a one step program.

I'll go even further: 9S is already a perfectly normal YoRHa android.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now that the sample size is 1, he's the mean, median, and mode!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

We can't be sure yet.

Obviously, he needs to track down and murder any other possible remaining YoRHa models, to ensure ease of sampling.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Perfect in every way.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sindai posted:

I think there's still like 3 Yorha androids hanging out in the desert, having survived because they were AWOL getting zonked on E-drugs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
9S is running the caim.exe program juuuuust fine.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nines is not having a good week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-35ZDpMUcJM&t=22s

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Found concept art of 9S in a few years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm glad 9S is finding people which he can share interests with.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So that was a baby right?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Adnor posted:

Found concept art of 9S in a few years.

Niiice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Leraika posted:

Niiines.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ManSedan posted:

So that was a baby right?

It died, so probably

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
My impression of the core is that the tower needs some heavy-duty processing power to do whatever it's doing, but the machines don't know how to put together a CPU that isn't sentient.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

9S is running the caim.exe program juuuuust fine.

I don't know, it seems buggy to me. The "commit indiscriminate murder" part is working fine, but the "enjoy murder" part isn't. 9S is not displaying any of Caim's joie de vivre here, he probably should file a bug report to the bunker.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

FrankZP posted:

My impression of the core is that the tower needs some heavy-duty processing power to do whatever it's doing, but the machines don't know how to put together a CPU that isn't sentient.

Just about nobody does these days.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Omobono posted:

9S is not displaying any of Caim's joie de vivre here, he probably should file a bug report to the bunker.
Bunker's gone... There's...no point in reporting bugs anyway.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Omobono posted:

I don't know, it seems buggy to me. The "commit indiscriminate murder" part is working fine, but the "enjoy murder" part isn't. 9S is not displaying any of Caim's joie de vivre here, he probably should file a bug report to the bunker.

He would, if the Bunker wasn't utterly blown up.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
9S is actually yelling shut-up at all the crash report messages erroring out he's been getting.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Huh, I didn't actually see that last bit where 9S stabs the downed machine. I even tried attacking it, but the game just never played the cutscene for some reason; the machine looped its Kill Me message a few times until I decided there was nothing to do but just walk out.

Maybe my 9S is just more of a dick than TDI's.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Beat the game a few days ago, almost 100% on a bunch of things, but not quite. One thing I knew I'd be too late to join in a relevant discussion of was the intro screen.

Mostly, I'm not sure how much of that was Taro and how much was Platinum, since the latter did it at least once before. In Infinite Space, a space opera RPG by Platinum and the guys behind Steel Battalion, this happened as well. The first half ends with the love interest clutching her belly to prevent her guts from spilling out as she dies on the bridge of the abandoned enemy flagship, most of the important members of your crew left behind in the way of an imminent invasion (your sister being the most important one you left behind), all of the political scheming that's been going on and all of your whack a pirate efforts being invalidated as the same invasion easily trounces the nation you started in with 100 times the ships each at around 100 times the mass of said nations military, and you barely escaping through a portal as the good guys you've been thinking would be able to turn back the invasion decide to instead cut off the route to their galaxy by Blowing up a SUPERNOVA. As your character has a breakdown over not being able to take on the entire enemy Armada you get to the portal. Boom. Platinum logo, followed by title card.

On another note, I had probably read too many spoilers for this game to get the most out of it, but that was weighed against me internalizing fake spoilers. Things I was bracing myself for happening because I knew they were coming, but that were just random words my brain put together and latched onto. I won't post any until after ending C and D at least, but you'll proabably laugh at me then.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that core. Could it play any more on your sympathies?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

If this is gathering meat, are the other machines looking for cheese and bread? Then Nines could really get a stew going.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For some reason the voice my head used for "Don't want to die" wasn't a machine voice, but the zombies from Deadly Premonition.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ashsaber posted:

Beat the game a few days ago, almost 100% on a bunch of things, but not quite. One thing I knew I'd be too late to join in a relevant discussion of was the intro screen.

Mostly, I'm not sure how much of that was Taro and how much was Platinum, since the latter did it at least once before. In Infinite Space, a space opera RPG by Platinum and the guys behind Steel Battalion, this happened as well. The first half ends with the love interest clutching her belly to prevent her guts from spilling out as she dies on the bridge of the abandoned enemy flagship, most of the important members of your crew left behind in the way of an imminent invasion (your sister being the most important one you left behind), all of the political scheming that's been going on and all of your whack a pirate efforts being invalidated as the same invasion easily trounces the nation you started in with 100 times the ships each at around 100 times the mass of said nations military, and you barely escaping through a portal as the good guys you've been thinking would be able to turn back the invasion decide to instead cut off the route to their galaxy by Blowing up a SUPERNOVA. As your character has a breakdown over not being able to take on the entire enemy Armada you get to the portal. Boom. Platinum logo, followed by title card.

On another note, I had probably read too many spoilers for this game to get the most out of it, but that was weighed against me internalizing fake spoilers. Things I was bracing myself for happening because I knew they were coming, but that were just random words my brain put together and latched onto. I won't post any until after ending C and D at least, but you'll proabably laugh at me then.

Infinite Space was a really good game, and it's a crying shame the LP of it got abandoned. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Ashsaber posted:

Jesus. Was the game ghost written by Taro? Because that is a seriously Taro-esque parade of poo poo all over the protagonist.

Eh, actually, I imagine the ending is at least kind of bright, and that's not Yoko Taro. Taro's games have a mid-point nadir... that turns out to merely be a flattening of the curve for a few story beats, before it gets darker and darker until you're having an existential crisis and you're not sure that there was ever happiness in the world to begin with.

• Locked thread