Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The real big difference is probably in time. TNG had to crank out 26 episodes a year every year: each shooting day is precious because you're not just worried about going over budget if you take too long to shoot an episode, you're worried about actually getting the show in the can in time to make your airdates. In that kind of environment, you're going to favor simple lighting and composition that allows you to setup quickly and get the shot done as fast as possible so you can move on to the next scene.

If you're only doing thirteen episodes a season, and you're no longer shackled to the conventional over-the-air season schedule so you can have over a year between season starts, you can spend a lot more time (and money! :v:) setting up complicated lighting and doing multiple takes to get the performances dialed in just so.

The Memory Alpha article on Edward R. Brown posted:

Compared to the other Trek television cinematographers, Brown's shooting style was completely different, featuring muted color tones and extensive use of shadows. While perhaps more dramatically pleasing (and earning him an Emmy nomination for "The Big Goodbye"), his tendency to completely hard-light scenes could often end up showing the deficiencies of the set construction, and necessitated his infamous practice of sticking cardboard and tape onto the LCARS screens in order to prevent too many reflections off the studio lights. Brown also refused to adopt a single visual style, often drastically altering his visuals between episodes to best fit the mood of the piece.

While popular with the show's directors (in particular Rob Bowman), his style occasionally irked the producers, who considered him to be making the show look cheaper than it really was, and some actors occasionally complained that his lighting was unflattering. Bowman later suggested that Brown would likely have been fired by the end of the first season if not for the infighting among the production staff during the first two seasons. In the end, new executive producer Rick Berman suggested that Brown leave the series at the end of the second season, after which Brown left the profession altogether and started teaching at film schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Starship Mine. They're evacuating the ship completely, which I don't remember ever happening before, and I also assume that means there'll be yet more new sets. They must have had quite a budget for season 6.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard's elevator smalltalk with Data and Worf and Geordi accidentally talking over each other both remind me of The Orville.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Goatee!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard admiring how 90s beige and wood grain everything on the Bridge looks

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The captain's the last one on the ship :unsmith:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data mimicking the small talk guy's facial expressions made me laugh out loud

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Not to sound ungrateful, but I have no idea what I was supposed to get out of that.:confused:

Their Kevin Uxbridge imitation starts in that episode.

(Though it probably develops more in subsequent episodes... they develop an in-joke wherein Kevin is an all-powerful realdoll maker.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG was not a cheap show to produce. Over a million dollars an episode (I want to say $1.3M?) in 1987 dollars. I know there's ridiculously expensive shows today that make that look small, but after inflation even by today's standards TNG was not cheap.

In 2017 money that's maybe $3 million an episode, perhaps a little less.

Let's visit GoT, which is in all likelihood the current high water mark for TV budgets:

quote:

The pilot reportedly cost HBO $5–10 million to produce,[43] while the first season's budget was estimated at $50–60 million.[44] In the second season, the show received a 15-percent budget increase for the climactic battle in "Blackwater" (which had an $8 million budget).[45][46] Between 2012 and 2015, the average budget per episode increased from $6 million[47] to "at least" $8 million.[48] The sixth-season budget was over $10 million per episode, for a season total of over $100 million and a series record.[49]

These are stated budgets and not real budgets. For example:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/tv-series-budgets-costs-rising-peak-tv-1202570158/

quote:

The estimates on the cost of content that emerged from these interviews peg the typical range of the production budget for high-end cable and streaming dramas at $5 million-$7 million an hour, while single-camera half hours on broadcast and cable run from $1.5 million to more than $3 million. With the exception of HBO, which made its mark with lavish productions, that’s a significant increase, during just the past five years, over what had been $3 million-$4 million for cable dramas and around $1 million-$1.5 million for single-camera half hours.

And Netflix often exceeds the new, higher averages. The first season of its supernatural sensation “Stranger Things” was shot to look like a 1980s Steven Spielberg movie and came with a price tag of $6 million an episode for season one, rising to $8 million in season two. Netflix’s sumptuous period drama “The Crown” cost an estimated $10 million an episode.

Pretty much every hour-long drama costs more than TNG did. I would hazard a guess that costs across the board are being driven upward by Internet studios that can flood money into productions.

It's possible that a season of TNG cost more than a season of GoT in adjusted dollars, but then TNG was pumping out over twice the film hours. As a fun thought exercise, imagine 24 episodes a year of TNG at $6 million an episode (the early GOT number). $144 million.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ahahahahaha

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm a toddler giggling at funny faces

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

thexerox123 posted:

Their Kevin Uxbridge imitation starts in that episode.

(Though it probably develops more in subsequent episodes... they develop an in-joke wherein Kevin is an all-powerful realdoll maker.)

Thanks! I'll have plenty of time to catch up, but I wanted to start ds9 asap.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol he really does have a saddle and wasn't just making it up as an excuse

This might be the funniest episode ever

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard just suddenly attacked the black repairman and I THINK did a Vulcan neck pinch

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Picard just suddenly attacked the black repairman and I THINK did a Vulcan neck pinch

Hypospray

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh gently caress

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

No, I'm pretty sure he does the neck pinch in Starship Mine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What IS going on

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gaz-L posted:

No, I'm pretty sure he does the neck pinch in Starship Mine.

My mistake. He uses the hypospray later.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why is Crusher only looking after Geordi and not the other guy who got stunned

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ownage escape by Picard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

But Louis Ck is hot on his trail

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whose room has that crossbow? I'm guessing Worf

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's funny everybody was talking about cinematography earlier because the cinematography in this episode is especially good

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard just said an action movie one liner while loading a weapon

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Then Riker did one

"The first thing I think we need to discuss is this *palmstrike*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Fun fact, that repairman would go on to play Tuvok, a Vulcan! :eng101:

Also I think he was in Star Trek 6.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wonder why she's keeping Picard alive if she doesn't want a hostag -- oh to open this door

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard just lost a fistfight to a human woman

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's the thing he had that made the scout ship blow up? Was it the locking pin on the Terillium they mentioned?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And it ends with everyone making injokes to a bewildered Worf. That was a really entertaining episode even if I wouldn't want many episodes to be that action-heavy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WampaLord posted:

Fun fact, that repairman would go on to play Tuvok, a Vulcan! :eng101:

Also I think he was in Star Trek 6.

Let’s not forget his most memorable role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3iFJpGJiug

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

And it ends with everyone making injokes to a bewildered Worf. That was a really entertaining episode even if I wouldn't want many episodes to be that action-heavy.

I've seen this episode been referred to as "Die Hard on a spaceship," but my personal preference is "Die Hard Picard"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

I've seen this episode been referred to as "Die Hard on a spaceship," but the only correct version is "Die Hard Picard"

:same:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Small talk guy is straight up killed and they never try to help him or even mention him for the rest of the episode. I know he was annoying but man, the Enterprise bridge clique strikes again. If you ain't in their little poker circle you're a 2nd class citizen or worse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Baronjutter posted:

Small talk guy is straight up killed and they never try to help him or even mention him for the rest of the episode. I know he was annoying but man, the Enterprise bridge clique strikes again. If you ain't in their little poker circle you're a 2nd class citizen or worse.

Dead is dead, and they only have 43 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the thing he had that made the scout ship blow up? Was it the locking pin on the Terillium they mentioned?

Yep, it was set up in engineering when they were tapping the warp core for the explodium.