Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

McSpanky posted:

Yep, it was set up in engineering when they were tapping the warp core for the explodium.

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't something on the ship that's actually called explodium.

Maybe the rocks inside the consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beachcomber posted:

Not to sound ungrateful, but I have no idea what I was supposed to get out of that.:confused:

Kevin Uxbridge is very important to the lore of The Greatest Generation and I can't imagine he won't show up in DS9 repeatedly

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

After The War posted:

Where are you in the series? The first two seasons were extremely underlit in a more "cinematic" style before switching to the flat lighting that would remain for the rest of 90s Trek. The remaster corrected the early episodes to be consistent with the later ones, but the now the high film speed shows.

Makes sense, I didn't know there was a remaster. I just finished season 1, this is my first trek

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

underage at the vape shop posted:

Makes sense, I didn't know there was a remaster. I just finished season 1, this is my first trek

Well, you've got that out of the way! There will other bad eras, but nothing like the sheer lunacy of TNG Season 1.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

In 2017 money that's maybe $3 million an episode, perhaps a little less.

Let's visit GoT, which is in all likelihood the current high water mark for TV budgets:

These are stated budgets and not real budgets. For example:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/tv-series-budgets-costs-rising-peak-tv-1202570158/

Pretty much every hour-long drama costs more than TNG did. I would hazard a guess that costs across the board are being driven upward by Internet studios that can flood money into productions.

It's possible that a season of TNG cost more than a season of GoT in adjusted dollars, but then TNG was pumping out over twice the film hours. As a fun thought exercise, imagine 24 episodes a year of TNG at $6 million an episode (the early GOT number). $144 million.

Wow, I didn't realize TV was in such a hot bubble. Although I'd point out that your second quote says it's not so much the last twenty years as it is the last five years that budgets have exploded.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Kevin Uxbridge is very important to the lore of The Greatest Generation and I can't imagine he won't show up in DS9 repeatedly

They've even got a wiki for the rest of their running jokes.

http://greatestgen.wikia.com/wiki/Running_Jokes

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sisko is bald now

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

WampaLord posted:

Also I think he was in Star Trek 6.

Generations. He was a bridge officer on the Ent B

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He served on the Excelsior under Sulu during the events of Star Trek VI though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's too bad there was only one episode with Sisko at maximum power, bearing both beard and full head of hair.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

After The War posted:

Well, you've got that out of the way! There will other bad eras, but nothing like the sheer lunacy of TNG Season 1.

without spoiling anything can you tell me what changes?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

This is kind of a hard question because it’s nothing really specific. The show improves on basically every front, especially once you get to season 3. The writing improves, the actors get more comfortable in their roles, even the sets and costumes improve.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It helps that a lot of the toxic stuff going on behind the scenes eased up once Gene's influence waned.

The documentary Chaos on the Bridge covers the production of the first season, it's pretty interesting.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Paradoxish posted:

This is kind of a hard question because it’s nothing really specific. The show improves on basically every front, especially once you get to season 3. The writing improves, the actors get more comfortable in their roles, even the sets and costumes improve.

Ah cool. I'm watching the first ep now, riker beard :swoon:

thexerox123 posted:

It helps that a lot of the toxic stuff going on behind the scenes eased up once Gene's influence waned.

The documentary Chaos on the Bridge covers the production of the first season, it's pretty interesting.

I'll check it out when I finish

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ah cool. I'm watching the first ep now, riker beard :swoon:

Fun fact, "Growing the Beard" has become a term to express a show finally getting good all because of Riker.

E: VVV Oh my god, you're totally right. :aaa:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 8, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And you know what? Riker shaves the beard halfway through insurrection. Coincidence? I think not.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wow, I didn't realize TV was in such a hot bubble. Although I'd point out that your second quote says it's not so much the last twenty years as it is the last five years that budgets have exploded.

True, it correlates pretty closely to Netflix turning itself into a movie studio, as well as Amazon doing the same thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

Fun fact, "Growing the Beard" has become a term to express a show finally getting good all because of Riker.

E: VVV Oh my god, you're totally right. :aaa:

Coincidentally, also worked well for Deep Space Nine via Sisko.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cythereal posted:

Coincidentally, also worked well for Deep Space Nine via Sisko.

And really, the only reason Sisko didn't start with the beard was because either Avery Brooks or the producers didn't want people tuning in and going "oh, hey, A Man Called Hawk."

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

After The War posted:

Where are you in the series? The first two seasons were extremely underlit in a more "cinematic" style before switching to the flat lighting that would remain for the rest of 90s Trek. The remaster corrected the early episodes to be consistent with the later ones, but the now the high film speed shows.

I don't think they did anything to drastically alter the lighting in the remaster, it just looks brighter and more colourful because you're seeing it sourced from the original film negatives rather than grainy late eighties broadcast video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmZGjoaHvI

They did such a good job fixing up the show for Blu-Ray, I doubt any other series will get a prestigious upgrade like that again.

Even the bad episodes are worth revisiting in this format, just to see how different they look without a layer of analogue soup in the way.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maelstache posted:

I don't think they did anything to drastically alter the lighting in the remaster, it just looks brighter and more colourful because you're seeing it sourced from the original film negatives rather than grainy late eighties broadcast video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmZGjoaHvI

They did such a good job fixing up the show for Blu-Ray, I doubt any other series will get a prestigious upgrade like that again.

Even the bad episodes are worth revisiting in this format, just to see how different they look without a layer of analogue soup in the way.

When I make $100 million I'm going to do it for Babylon 5.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

As you've seen by now, Worf and Geordi get real jobs. Picard is no longer written as a doddering old man. A lot of the Roddenberry Visiontm stuff is gone, so lo loses a lot of the :smug: about 24th century humans.

You will never see costumes like this again:

You also lose a lot of the surreal, almost Lynch-ian elements of the first season, like Q's Small Person Court With Oven Mitt Drug Soldiers and Riker's "USS Lollipop."

It basically becomes what can be recognized as a TV series. Season 2 will have some bad episodes, but they're bad in a comprehensible "dumb idea" way instead of "what were these people on?" There are also of the all-time most popular episodes in all of Trek.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

After The War posted:

You will never see costumes like this again:

(From Cost of Living)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I don't see a costume there. :wink:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is the Lollipop thing now some kind of surrealist joke that only the enlightened could get? I thought it was clear that it was Riker throwing a tidbit in to see if this was an intelligent being who actually knew idiomatic Federation Standard Or Whatever as opposed to just mirroring him to sell him poo poo.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

When I make $100 million I'm going to do it for Babylon 5.

A drat fine dream, my friend.

Really, I'd just settle for owning a version which didn't have all the fx shots zoomed/cropped.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
While taking a bit of a break from the DS9 spree, I am slightly drunk and watching Chopped on the food network website and am for some reason longing for a Chopped: Star Trek episode with Sisko, Neelix (obnoxious first round chopped guy, natch), Data, and Q.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

Is the Lollipop thing now some kind of surrealist joke that only the enlightened could get? I thought it was clear that it was Riker throwing a tidbit in to see if this was an intelligent being who actually knew idiomatic Federation Standard Or Whatever as opposed to just mirroring him to sell him poo poo.

Yeah it wasn't anything fancy. Like if I was like saying "I served with Captain Hugedick on the USS Cockgobbler" to see if you're real because you'd be like wtf. Except they went G rated and something virtually everyone watching that episode would know was Riker using a fictional ship.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

It’s referencing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLSqpYyPD8
Riker even says “it’s a good ship”

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

While taking a bit of a break from the DS9 spree, I am slightly drunk and watching Chopped on the food network website and am for some reason longing for a Chopped: Star Trek episode with Sisko, Neelix (obnoxious first round chopped guy, natch), Data, and Q.

Add in the Klingon chef from DS9 as one of the judges and the host can be the holographic Doctor.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jimong5 posted:

It’s referencing this:

they're good ships, brent

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jimong5 posted:

It’s referencing this:

I'm proud to have gotten this reference.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nessus posted:

Oh, I didn't mean that it was intentionally surreal, I meant the effect of the weird, stilted direction and Riker referencing Shirley Temple (not the type of 20th century reference you'd see in later stories) on a TOS-style "plants+single color backdrop" set isn't just bad, it's... strange. You don't get that kind of thing after the first season.

I guess I should have said "accidentally Lynch-ian", sorry.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
So, I can't quite tell who in this thread still has a positive opinion of DIS (my implant connecting me to the Goon Hive-Mind no longer functions), but with the end-of-fall-season two-parter, I'm having a hard time agreeing with the people positing "yeah, we've seen a militarized psychotic Federation, especially Captain Lorca, but it's obviously all set-up for his downfall and Burnham learning a lesson," because the whole thing on Pahvo comes off as "those poor dumb loving pacifist sound creatures, don't they know their harmony can only exist thanks to Hard Men Making Hard Decisions." Or am I just pre-disposed to hate this because I have absorbed the thread-salt?

Also Jesus Christ, is anyone else completely unable to follow the Klingon subplot? It's simultaneously jumping ahead too fast and providing absolutely no personality or likability for any of the characters.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Lessons. Nothing's happened so far other than mention of a communication blackout. Picard's tinted-glass-with-wood-grain edge desk is so cool.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Haha the stellar cartography department using all the ship's resources so Picard gets bored

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Earl Grey? No wonder you couldn't sleep."

Owned

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It still used the sting at the end of the cold open even though there was no tension whatsoever

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If they did an episode without a conflict that'd be interesting and experimental but I put the chance of that at 00.5%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data's either really playing the violin or really good at faking it