Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oddium posted:

nabbit :clap: deserves :clap: his :clap: own :clap: game :clap:

He should team up with wario and waluigi imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phantasium posted:

They were listed as one of the devs supporting the Switch early on, but somehow I doubt it's Dark Souls.

Lost Kingdoms 3 would be ideal.

Ostentatious posted:

"hi welcome to my 70 minute video about why mario good"

It's weird how a youtube channel called "GameXplain" is exclusively about Nintendo products.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 9, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If nintendo still made good paper mario rpgs that were like paper mario 1 and 2, I'd like to see them some day make a paper luigi. Doesn't have to be based around his adventure from TTYD but could be fun either way.

Though I feel bad for him since Luigi always seems to get the short end of the stick in that game. I just wanted him to have a nice, fun adventure on his own and instead his adventure seemed to consist of him thinking everything was cool and great but really everybody hated him.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's really too bad that the Super Mario RPG characters are banished to square hell because that was a drat good game/setting.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Help Im Alive posted:

Did the Star Fox on the SNES Classic turn out to be good

Star Fox 2? Eh, it's worth a play. Definitely feels like it was canned because their vision had outpaced the tech by that point.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

corn in the bible posted:

The flagship title of a billion dollar videogame console producer was better than a budget title from Sega?!?!?

Both games were in development for the same amount of time and the core development teams had comparable headcounts. Cuphead, a game made funded by two men mortgaging their homes, hit a metacritic score in the high 80s and sold over 1 million copies.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Mario vs Sonic hasn't been relevant since 1996

They'll battle it at the Olympics and make SEGA lots of money.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Another bit that I enjoyed a lot about Arkham Knight: The chatter over the radio. The thugs have lines about every single thing that happens in the city and they're almost always, rightfully, freaked out about how crazy Gotham is or ecstatic about having a playground to wreck. Specially nice that when they talk about (Endgame Spoilers)what a surprise that Batman is Bruce Wayne, including one that calls it bullshit how we let the rich get away with this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Star Fox 2? Eh, it's worth a play. Definitely feels like it was canned because their vision had outpaced the tech by that point.

that probably was part of why it got canned but the big reason is mainly just that the n64 was coming out really soon by the time star fox 2 was nearing completion and releasing a big 3d game on the snes that close would have been a Big Mistake

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Starcraft II is going free-to-play and everyone that bought Wings of Liberty is getting the first expansion, Brood War Two: Electric Boogaloo Heroes of the Storm Heart of the Swarm, for free. http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-ii-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017

Well, I booted up Starcraft II today and got started on Heart of the Swarm and I just can't do it. The writing is just too unbearably insufferable. I want to like Kerrigan but her writing consists of 1) complete and total devotion to Chris Metzen self-insert Jim Raynor and 2) sexy!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

BotW is already sci-fi in that clockwork robots and indecipherable-from-magic Miyazaki way.

Eh, I'd say the technology in BotW is so explicitly magical that it can't be science fiction. It's fantasy through and through, just with magical machines. It uses some imagery that calls to mind real-world technology, of course, like your little tablet device, but when you "download" new "programs" onto it via a drop of blue liquid magic it's pretty clearly magic and not science.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new Need for Speed is very bad and the writing is a nightmare. Holy hell it feels like such a regression in racing games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretend I posted that Arthur C Clarke quote where he says that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Harrow posted:

Eh, I'd say the technology in BotW is so explicitly magical that it can't be science fiction. It's fantasy through and through, just with magical machines. It uses some imagery that calls to mind real-world technology, of course, like your little tablet device, but when you "download" new "programs" onto it via a drop of blue liquid magic it's pretty clearly magic and not science.

Zelda's entire subplot is magic/religion vs technology. Half of her flashbacks are about her rebelling against her father's quasi-religious tutelage, hoping to find an answer through research and technology instead of prayer.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There’s a character called Hashtiger asking for drifting advice for his cubs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is no meaningful difference between most fantasy and science fiction these days so arguing about it is a bit dumb

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Andrast posted:

There is no meaningful difference between most fantasy and science fiction these days so arguing about it is a bit dumb

Settings that mix the two are rad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ff7's setting was rad to me in the day, but now every game is kind of just that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

any sufficiently advanced technology etc etc

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Or you could go the Might & Magic route and just throw everything in like a hearty stew. http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Ancients

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Starcraft II is going free-to-play and everyone that bought Wings of Liberty is getting the first expansion, Brood War Two: Electric Boogaloo Heroes of the Storm Heart of the Swarm, for free. http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-ii-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017

Well, I booted up Starcraft II today and got started on Heart of the Swarm and I just can't do it. The writing is just too unbearably insufferable. I want to like Kerrigan but her writing consists of 1) complete and total devotion to Chris Metzen self-insert Jim Raynor and 2) sexy!

the writing is insanely bad but the campaign itself is very very good and worth going through if you just skip all the words

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

ff7's setting was rad to me in the day, but now every game is kind of just that
Elder Scrolls' is bananas but Bethesda is content to do barely anything with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

Settings that mix the two are rad.

Except that's usually steampunk which is one of the worst genres around.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

the writing is insanely bad but the campaign itself is very very good and worth going through if you just skip all the words

Its pretty shocking how far the writing quality has dived from Starcraft 1. Looking back its not amazing but its way better than Starcraft 2. Blizzard really had no loving clue where they wanted to go with the Zerg.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

Elder Scrolls' is bananas but Bethesda is content to do barely anything with it.

elder scrolls is content to have books about how a demi-god cheered up a depressed farmer by getting naked and dancing in front of him, but will never allow you to join in the act

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Accordion Man posted:

You can sort of justify it by magic-fueled space wars being irrelevant to the average citizen of the setting but that’s just boring and maybe it shouldn’t be about the average citizen then

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Colonel posted:

elder scrolls is content to have books about how a demi-god cheered up a depressed farmer by getting naked and dancing in front of him, but will never allow you to join in the act

I don't think that's fair. The Dadedra quests have been highlights of the past 2 games and usually have you doing some pretty crazy stuff.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It’s easy to forget the actual TES main antagonist is a dwarven-made Evangelion unit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Propaganda Hour posted:

But brad from giant bomb said it was worthy of story of the year... and then recounted the entire story while the rest of the panel went to the bathroom

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

But brad from giant bomb said it was worthy of story of the year... and then recounted the entire story while the rest of the panel went to the bathroom

*looks at the top releases of 2013*

God dammit Brad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Propaganda Hour posted:

Do I get anything for having paid full price for every part of SC2 at release

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do I get anything for having paid full price for every part of SC2 at release

Not that I know of, but there is quite a bit of content (especially Co-op stuff) that I don't have access to because I don't own Legacy of the Void.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All 3 StarCraft 2 campaigns are really very fun.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yea, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking more about the above mentioned fan art of badass bike Epona and things like it that I still see people online bring up from time to time as a thing Zelda needs to do.

I wonder why you never hear the opposite, people aren't clamoring for a high fantasy Metroid where Samus is like, a plate-armored battlemage with ice potions and magic missiles and fights regular dragon Ridley deep beneath Castle Zebes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well I mean I am now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everything about Super Mario Odyssey is magical, like I'm running into something new every minute that just makes me smile.

Also Mario's flippers squeak when you run

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I wonder why you never hear the opposite, people aren't clamoring for a high fantasy Metroid where Samus is like, a plate-armored battlemage with ice potions and magic missiles and fights regular dragon Ridley deep beneath Castle Zebes.
because scifi is cool and fantasy is lame

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

McSpanky posted:

That exists in my dreams. Also something similar for Mega Man ZX and its class swapping mechanics.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Isn't this just a souls game?

Or castlevania?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was gonna say, Bloodborne is pretty much "fantasy Metroid"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bloodborne isn't remotely like Metroid. I don't even understand how you make that comparison in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Bloodborne isn't remotely like Metroid. I don't even understand how you make that comparison in the first place.
You do fight cosmic horrors in both. Not a strong comparison though, true.

• Locked thread